MIDWEEK EDITION
TUESDAY, April 7, 2020
S E R V I N G O U R C O M M U N I T Y S I N C E 18 7 9 • W W W. T R I P L I C AT E . C O M
Del Norte County now has 2 confirmed cases Crescent City man was county’s first COVID-19 case
A
David Hayes Staff Writer
Crescent City man is Del Norte County’s first confirmed case of the COVID-19 Coronavirus. The county confirmed a second person with COVID-19 on Saturday. As of Sunday afternoon, April 5, the number of confirmed cases still two with results from eight tests pending. The county stated that 111 tests have been administered. Dr. Warren Rehwaldt, Del Norte County Public
Health Officer, said in a press release on Thursday, April 2, the first patient is a middle-aged male, who is in self-quarantine, recovering at home. “All steps for isolation of the case have been implemented. We are investigating the possibility of travel as a source but, at the moment, the case is still classified as unknown,” Rehwaldt said. The man’s identity is being withheld due to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), a federal law that
protects sensitive patient health information from being disclosed without the patient's consent or knowledge. Rehwaldt updated his information the health department had on the case during an online conference Friday, saying it was unclear yet how the patient contracted the virus. “We don’t think it’s travel related. We’re still classifying it as ‘unknown.’ The reason is it is probably wrong to presume community spread until we see more cases we can confirm
or identify in any other way. And then we would make the conclusion of community spread. Going to leave it in the unknown category for the moment,” Rehwaldt said. “This is not really unexpected. I really expected a case before this. From our perspective, it doesn’t change very much. We still want people to do things we’ve been telling them. We still need people to shelter in place. Keep doing the social distancing we’ve been talking about. Pretty much everything
Microscopic image of the COVID-19 virus. is the same. We just want people to sharpen their focus a little more. It’s clear we have a case here and we’re probably going to get more,” Reywaldt said.
For now, the level of social distancing guidelines has not changed, according to Bill Steven, Del Norte More COVID-19 on Page A5
We’re making changes to get you a newspaper
Coronavirus Turbulence
Dear Reader,
N
ine months ago, Country Media saved the twice-weekly newspapers in Crescent City and Brookings from an uncertain fate by buying them out of bankruptcy proceedings. Our goal then was to implement a business model that would sustain those newspapers’ longDel Norte County Regional Airport and Brookings Airport have not been term business operations hit as hard as other larger airports due to the coronavirus pandemic. and ensure their longevity. Photos by Brian Williams. That goal is unchanged. What has changed is the difficulty of achieving it, given the advent of the coronavirus pandemic, which may remain with us for months to come. Longtime newspapers in California and Oregon now are working hard David Hayes However, many questions remain for Del said. “The government would be giving them simply to survive. At least Staff Writer Norte’s airport, as the grant under the AEAS time set up operations, so they could be up and one Oregon daily has beprogram was in the process of being renewed running Oct. 1. But with the coronavirus comgun publishing just three s the airline industry continues to feel the by Sept. 30. An online survey last month sought plications, it’s a moving goal post. But I think days a week. Another has financial squeeze of less travel during public input on priorities for continued and we’re still on track.” reduced its distribution the COVID-19 pandemic, the Del Norte County future service at Jack McNamara Field. Hooper For now, Hooper said to not expect any from seven days each Regional Airport and the Brookings Airport said the initial date to send those community disruption in service, as aviation is a sub-sector week to six. have so far avoided the economic crunch. comments back to the DOT was April 14. But of transportation, which is considered a “critical And more than one The Del Norte County Regional Airport finds because of complications and health concerns infrastructure sector” by the federal governweekly newspaper has itself in a fairly unique situation operationally. over the coronavirus, that’s been pushed out to ment. Thus, the airport is required to remain ceased publication altoRandy Hooper, Del Norte County Airport May 14. open during emergencies such as this. However, gether. Director, said this is because the airport receives The airport currently has a contract with he urges those who do not need to travel at this As you can see from a federal subsidy through the Department of Contour Airlines to provide flights in and out time to not do so. a quick drive down U.S. Transportation’s (DOT) Alternate Essential Air of Oakland. But Hooper said it’s out of his With fewer flights, Hooper expects the Highway 101, the virus’s Service (AEAS) program. The program guaran- hands whether the federal government decides regional airport can stay operational with fixed impact on local businesses tees service in rural locations through a contract to continue its contract with Contour or go with tenant contracts with Cal-Ore Life Flight and is severe. Many stores with specific carriers. another carrier. Federal Express and additional landing fees have closed their doors, “A lot of the larger airports don’t have an “Either way, we expect an orderly transition, coming in through UPS. some permanently. essential air service agreement, so there are a lot whether it’s another round with Contour, or These local businesses more, bigger questions for them,” Hooper said. through a selection of a new carrier,” Hooper More Airport on Page A2 rely on newspapers to connect them to potential customers. We, in turn, rely on their advertising dollars for 90% of our total revenue. Business closures Staff Report Harris said the supplies, intended to prevent the from socks to toothbrushes, spread of the coronavirus hen the sun was were donated from comhave dramatically reduced shining outside munity organizations and our advertising revenues. Friday, a group of seniors purchased from the school While we all hope to were indoors assembling district’s youth grant emerge from this situacare packages for the money. school district’s homeless Simone Magarino, ASB tion soon, there’s no way to predict the duration or population. president, said she heard severity of the pandemic While practicing a safe from her father, DNUSD on the economy. 6-foot social distancing, School Board President We must make some five seniors from Del Norte Frank Magarino, there changes to ensure the susHigh School created an was a need for volunteers tainability of the newspaassembly line to fill care in district projects. So, per business. So beginning packages to approximately she partnered with Elizathe week of April 12, we 250 homeless students who beth Ward, School Board attend the Del Norte UniStudent Representative, More Changes on Page A4 fied School District. Del Norte High School seniors put together care packages for homeless Superintendent Jeff youth. Photos contributed. More Students on Page A5
Del Norte’s airport expects rough skies during pandemic A
Students assemble care packages for homeless youth W
FORECAST
INDEX TUESDAY
WEDNESDAY
TIDES
THURSDAY
Crosswords..............................................A4 Crossword Answers..................................A5 Classifieds...............................................6-7 Weather....................................................A8
58 46
63 51
60 48
Tues
HIGH LOW HIGH LOW
Wed
Thurs
11:52 AM 12:15 AM 12:53 AM 5:46 AM 6:34 PM 7:34 AM 12:46 PM 1:41 PM 6:02 PM 6:43 PM 7:25 PM $1.50