TNG715

Page 1

LCSD Awarded Funds. . ............ PAGE 3 Roll Back The Tide. . ................ PAGE 8

July 15, 2020

Serving Lincoln City Since 1927

$1.00

Gov. Brown announces additional restrictions

Bon Appétit!

MAX KIRKENDALL newsguardeditor@countrymedia.net

COURTESY PHOTO

Through a partnership with the Salishan Coastal Lodge, The Bay House Restaurant will soon move into the Cedar Tree room on the Salishan property to continue serving their signature dishes to locals and visitors alike.

The Bay House Restaurant moves to Salishan MAX KIRKENDALL newsguardeditor@countrymedia.net

Steve Wilson, Proprietor of The Bay House Restaurant, and David Hall, Managing Director of Salishan Coastal Lodge, have announced The Bay House Restaurant will be soon located at the Salishan Coastal Lodge. As part of a re-opening program this summer, Salishan Coastal Lodge and The Bay House Restaurant have a new collaboration underway. Wilson and Executive Chef Kevin Ryan will lease and convert the former Cedar

Tree event room into The Bay House, one of only three AAA Four Diamond award-winning restaurants in Oregon. The relocation is expected to take place in July with a soft opening in early August. For the past 41 years, the Bay House had been at the south Lincoln City property overlooking the Siletz Bay. On Jan. 22, the property was sold to Pelican Brewing Company. For the past six months, the restaurant has been operating ‘The Bay House on the Hill,’ a 36-acre estate home overlooking the Siletz Bay and the Pacific Ocean in Gleneden Beach. “Since selling our property on Siletz Bay in Lincoln City last fall, we have been searching for a suitable location to continue serving our loyal clientele,” Wilson said. “For over 40 years, The Bay House has enjoyed a strong connection to Salishan, its resort guests, homeowners, visitors to the Oregon

Coast and our local community. “We are very excited to be able to continue our tradition of outstanding food, service, and hospitality as The Bay House at Salishan.” The new Bay House at Salishan will feature beautiful views towards the bay, in a refined rustic room, showcasing timber-structure and the renowned Bay House wine list. Chef Kevin is already working on bringing back Bay House favorites. “The Cedar Tree room in the Salishan Coastal Lodge has been a place for special occasions for years,” Hall said. “ In its early years, it was popular and known as The Summer Restaurant. In more recent years, it has been used as an event space for weddings and other life celebrations. Watching the Cedar Tree room return to its restaurant roots, completes the circle, and embracement of new Salishan Coastal Lodge brand.”

Over the past week, the state of Oregon has reported more confirmed cases of COVID-19 than it did in all of the month of May. At a press conference July 13, Governor Kate Brown said that this is cause for concern, and she has decided to take more action to try to slow transmission of the virus. “We’re here today to sound the alarm,” Gov. Brown said. “The COVID-19 disease is spreading rapidly across the entire state of Oregon and each and everyone of us needs to take action, immediate action to slow the spread of this disease.” Gov. Brown made note of a few statistics during her opening remarks, including the fact that Oregon has not reported less than 100 cases in their daily report in over a month. Additionally, Gov. Brown stated that half of all cases are people under the age of 40 and one third are under 30. “We have done so much, we have come so far, we have sacrificed so deeply… we cannot let this virus get the best of us,” Gov. Brown said. “We are at risk of allowing this virus to spiral out of control.” Gov. Brown cited the rapid spread in several states across the United States such as New York and Texas. She alluded to the fact that Oregon may be heading toward that trend.

See RESTRICTIONS, Page A9

Mother recounts alleged racial House fire results in fatality harassment in Lincoln City MAX KIRKENDALL NEWSGUARDEDITOR@ COUNTRYMEDIA.NET

MAX KIRKENDALL

last stay.

NEWSGUARDEDITOR@ COUNTRYMEDIA.NET

Red Flags Raised

“We were in shock, we were frightened, worried… every emotion you could think of, it was there.” Those are the words from the mother of a family who just days before was allegedly harassed and targeted by a group of white men from Clark County, Wash. at a Lincoln City beach on the Fourth of July. The mother of the family wished to remain anonymous as her family fears retaliation from the seven men who were cited and released following their arrest, but her identity was confirmed by the Lincoln City Police Department (LCPD). She has decided to speak out and give her recollection of the events that took place this past weekend. For the past 30 years,

FILE PHOTO

A photo from the Anti-Hate Demonstration held the day after the alleged July 4 incident.

she said her family has been visiting the Oregon Coast, and for the past 20 years, the Inn at Spanish Head has been their hotel of choice, sometimes visiting over 10 times a year. They have become familiar with hotel staff and managers but are now starting to question their safety protocols following their

Around noon on July 4, the mother said she was at the front desk when she overheard an employee on the phone speaking to someone about bringing flags to the hotel. The employee told the caller that only American Flags were allowed on their property, the mother said. “I thought to myself, well what was that about,” she said in an interview with The News Guard. “I said to (the employee), ‘I don’t even want to know what that conversation was about,’ and we laughed.” The mother went back to her room and told her husband about the strange call and said she started to feel uneasy. About an hour later, her children began arriving to the hotel. While

See RECOUNT, Page A9

Local first responders kept busy this past weekend, reporting to several incidents, unfortunately involving fatalities. At approximately 9:20 p.m. on July 11, North Lincoln Fire and Rescue (NLFR) responded to a head on vehicle collision at N 27th and Hwy 101, which resulted in two people being sent to

VOL. 93 NO. 29

COURTESY PHOTO

The home at SE Galley Ct. in Lincoln City caught fire last Saturday night resulting in one fatality.

INDEX Voices.....................A5 Obituaries..............A5 Birth........................A5

Samaritan North Lincoln Hospital. Due to the extent of the injuries, a 21-year-old female was transferred by Life Flight to Emanuel Hospital. She later died from the injuries sustained. This accident is currently being investigated by the Lincoln City Police Department and county accident investigation team. Just about an hour later at 10:25 p.m. NLFR was dispatched to a

See FIRE, Page A9

thenewsguard.com

WEATHER Classifieds...... A6–A7 Police Blotter.........A4

house fire on SE Galley Ct. “When we got there the fire was already going pretty strong, that was the main problem we encountered,” NLFR Chief Rob Dahlman said. “We actually received the 911 call from the neighbor, not the family inside the home, so we knew the fire had likely been burning a while.” Heavy fire conditions were encountered from the front of the house, with doors already burned down and windows blown out. NLFR crews learned that two children and one adult had escaped the fire. However, another adult female occupant was trapped inside. “The adult who escaped the fire did so while removing the two small children, however he suffered severe burns and was transported to the Oregon Burn Center at Emanuel Hospital in

WED.

THU.

FRI.

SAT.

SUN.

MON.

TUE.

64º/53º

64º/55º

62º/53º

62º/53º

66º/55º

66º/55º

64º/53º

Lincoln City’s largest and most trusted news source.


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.
TNG715 by C.M.I. - Issuu