SENATE O.K. OF RICE TARIFFS IN SEPT By Jasper Emmanuel Y. Arcalas
T
HE head of the Senate Committee on Agriculture and Food vowed that the upper chamber will pass the rice tariffication bill within the month after the Economic Development Cluster’s (EDC) recommended fast-tracking the measure as one of the nonmonetary inflation busters. The rice tariffication bill, which would convert the country’s quantitative restriction (QR) on rice into tariffs, is seen by the EDC as crucial in arresting the accelerating inflation and rising prices of the staple. The Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) last week reported a 6.4-percent inflation in August, beating all
THE Manila International Airport Authority (Miaa) on Monday opened its two new rapid-exit taxiways (RETs) at the main runway of the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (Naia). With this new addition, the Naia now has four high-speed exits that commercial airlines can use. Inaugurating the RETs are Transportation Undersecretary Antonio Tamayo (from left), Miaa General Manager Ed Monreal, Executive Secretary Salvador C. Medialdea and Transportation Secretary Arthur P. Tugade. The new RETs are expected to shorten aircraft-spacing requirements for air traffic control and improve runway-occupancy time. NONIE REYES
MEDIA PARTNER OF THE YEAR
UNITED NATIONS
2015 ENVIRONMENTAL MEDIA AWARD LEADERSHIP AWARD 2008
@jearcalas
estimates. All rice varieties also posted double-digit price increases during the month. “Yes. We will try hard,” Sen. Cynthia A. Villar, committee chairman, told reporters, when asked if senators can pass the bill within the month. She spoke to journalists after the budget hearing of the Department of Agriculture (DA) on Monday. Villar said her committee has already released its report on the rice tariffication bill, and the measure is already on the Senate floor. The House of Representatives passed last month on third reading its version of the rice tariffication bill.
tariffication bill includes a provision that would remove the regulatory powers of the National Food Authority (NFA) in relation to imports, particularly its licensing role. “The things that I will only defend on the floor are the rice tariffication and the rice competitiveness enhancement fund,” she said. Villar said she would seek a clarification with the Department of Finance (DOF) regarding the removal of the licensing power of the NFA in relation to the tariffication of rice imports. “From my understanding, when I talked to the DOF, once we pass the rice tariffication [bill], then our rice importation will be liberalized,” she said.
NFA powers
HOWEVER, Villar did not say whether her version of the rice
See “Rice tariffs,” A8
BusinessMirror A broader look at today’s business
www.businessmirror.com.ph
n
Tuesday, September 11, 2018 Vol. 13 No. 332
House OKs ‘Trabaho’ bill on 3rd, final reading
T
By Cai U. Ordinario
@cuo_bm
HE House of Representatives (HOR) approved on third and final reading on Monday House Bill 8083, or the Tax Reform for Attracting Better and High-quality Opportunities or “Trabaho” bill. See “Trabaho,” A2
PESO IN PAIN R
ISING oil prices and inflation rates are among the factors that further pushed the country’s legal tender to its weakest on Monday. The Philippine peso closed at 53.88 per dollar on September 10 after hitting 53.73 per dollar on brisk trade last Friday, data from the Bankers Association of the Philippines showed. See related story, “Franklin, Neuberger see more pain for weak peso,” on page B3.
@rectomercene
& Butch Fernandez
T
@butchfBM
HE proposed airport modernization of the country’s three gateways will not be realized until after two years, at least with respect to the Ninoy Aquino International A ir port (Naia) and Clark International Airport (CIA). However, the P700-billion Bulacan Airport proposed by Ramon S. Ang, head of the conglomerate San Miguel Corp., remains in limbo due to certain constraints, even as Ang and company met with transportation officials recently on, among others, the “joint and solidary commitments” of the entities bankrolling the huge project. One of the constraints arising at the Senate hearing is the objection of Finance Secretary Carlos G. Dominguez III, who wants San Miguel Holdings to agree to a “joint liability agreement” with its parent company, San Miguel Corp. Dominguez wants to know why San Miguel Holdings’s equity is only P60 billion when the Bulacan Airport project’s total cost is estimated at more than P700 billion. With a 70/30 arrangement, San Miguel’s equity should amount to about P200 billion, according to Transportation Undersecretary Ruben S. Reynoso Jr. Dominguez’s other concern, which he voiced during a Senate Hearing presided over by Public Services Committee Chief Sen. Grace Poe, is that he wants to protect the country’s investments of $40 billion in Clark. He added
that the potential economic benefits of Clark’s 35,000-hectare area, which is owned by the government, would also be under threat. With the Bulacan Airport only 65 kilometers away, these economic potentials are threatened, Dominguez said, by, among others, the possibility that the Bulacan airport’s traffic pattern would overlap Clark’s. However, DOTr Secretary Arthur P. Tugade disagreed with Dominguez, pointing out the crying need for more airports with the main gateway the Naia already overfilled to capacity at 42 million passengers yearly. He said Clark International Airport has only a maximum capacity of 8 million yearly passengers, and the combined total with the Naia is 50 million people. Reynoso said the Naia could be hosting 65 million passengers yearly if it did not have constraints, such as being limited to only 40 landings and takeoffs per hour. He said that, once upgraded, the Naia’s 40 events per hour could increase to 52 events per hour.
Consortium vs GMR Megawide
WITHOUT these improvements that GMR Megawide consortium promises to accomplish, the country’s main gateway is losing the income potential from handling15 million more passengers a year. Reynoso said if Megawide is given the go-ahead to proceed with the upgrading and modernization of the Naia, “it would be able to attain 48 million passengers a year after two years and 65 million passengers in another two years.”
No reason to panic Manny B. Villar
THE ENTREPRENEUR
W
E need to take a breather from all the anxieties that tend to worry some economists and which speculators exploit to sow panic in the market. While the inflation rate climbed to a nine-year high of 6.4 percent in August 2018, it was not the first time prices rose as fast. I can remember that in the 1980s,the inflation rate was hovering in the double digits. Continued on A6
June FDI post net inflows of $831M By Rea Cu
F TRANSPORTATION Secretary Arthur P. Tugade (center) answers questions during the second Senate hearing on the Xiamen Air incident on Monday. During the hearing, senators also quizzed Finance Secretary Carlos G. Dominguez III (left) on the financial viability of planned airport expansions and new airports. At right is Manila International Airport Authority General Manager Ed Monreal. ALYSA SALEN
Industry leaders flag risk from substandard steel By Elijah Felice E. Rosales @alyasjah
S
TEEL-INDUSTRY leaders have brought to lawmakers their concern about the proliferation of substandard steel in the market that might put some infrastructure at risk. Roberto M. Cola, president of the Philippine Iron and Steel Institute (Pisi), said low-quality steel is
Our main concern arising...is that Asean is becoming a dumping ground for these obsolete and outdated machinery and equipment, which, because of their inherent technology limitations and constraints, could adversely impact the orderly development of the iron and steel industry in the region.”—Asean Iron and Steel Council still widespread in the market. In a recent Senate hearing, he told lawmakers to ban the use of induction furnaces for rebar steelmaking, which was already declared illegal in China last year.
“The problem of substandard rebars is driven by economic gain from the market that is not very conscious of produc t qualit y and safety. See “Steel,” A2
@ReaCuBM
OREIGN direct investments (FDI) posted net inf lows of $831 million in June 2018, increasing by 9.2 percent from the $761 million recorded in the same month last year, the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) has reported. The Central Bank traced the rise in FDI net inflows largely to nonresidents’ net equity capital investments of $184 million during the month, a turnaround from the $67-million net withdrawals in June 2017. “The improvement in net equity capital investments was due to the 83.6-percent expansion in gross placements of equity capital to $208 million, which more than offset withdrawals of $24 million. Equity capital placements came mostly from Singapore, Luxembourg, Japan, the United States and the Netherlands,” the BSP said. It said equity capital placements were invested mostly in manufacturing; electricity, gas, steam and air-conditioning supply; real estate; financial and insurance; and wholesale and retail trade activities.
See “Airports,” A2
PESO EXCHANGE RATES n US 53.8310
BUSINESS NEWS SOURCE OF THE YEAR
P25.00 nationwide | 4 sections 20 pages | 7 DAYS A WEEK
PHL needs more airports, but officials grapple with timing, viability concerns By Recto Mercene
2016 EJAP JOURNALISM AWARDS
n JAPAN 0.4851 n UK 69.6196 n HK 6.8582 n CHINA 7.8594 n SINGAPORE 39.0561 n AUSTRALIA 38.2308 n EU 62.1802 n SAUDI ARABIA 14.3526
See “FDI,” A2
Source: BSP (10 September 2018 )