ROTARY CLUB OF MANILA JOURNALISM AWARDS
2006 National Newspaper of the Year 2011 National Newspaper of the Year 2013 Business Newspaper of the Year 2017 Business Newspaper of the Year 2019 Business Newspaper of the Year
BusinessMirror
www.businessmirror.com.ph
A broader look at today’s business n
Saturday, October 26, 2019 Vol. 15 No. 16
DARK-NET PREDATORS
EJAP JOURNALISM AWARDS
BUSINESS NEWS SOURCE OF THE YEAR (2017, 2018)
DEPARTMENT OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
2018 BANTOG MEDIA AWARDS PHILIPPINE STATISTICS AUTHORITY
DATA CHAMPION
P25.00 nationwide | 28 pages | 7 DAYS A WEEK
MRECO99 | DREAMSTIME.COM
The Philippines is deemed the top global source of child-sex abuse and exploitation materials, and a broad coalition of government and international agencies and private organizations is leading the charge against the ever-growing evil.
By Estrella Torres | Special to the BusinessMirror
H
OME is where a child must feel safe and loved by parents and carers.
For thousands of children living in deprived areas, however, their small and dingy bedrooms are turned into hidden crime scenes where they are coerced to strip, dance naked and perform sexual acts in front of a web camera as sex predators from abroad pay to watch.
Parents and family members usually act as crime facilitators of the rising cases of online sexual abuse and exploitation of children. The Philippines is now the top global source of child-sex abuse and exploitation materials, with more cases of live streaming of child sex abuse that continue to
surface in recent years. Poverty, ease of access to the Internet and mobile phones and the dominant English-speaking population are top reasons for the increase in cases of sexual abuse and exploitation against minors. In 2017, the Office of Cybercrime of the Department of Justice (DOJ) received 45,645 tip-offs about sexual images of Filipino children from the US-based National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NMEC). The number ballooned to 600,000 last year. New technologies, such as live streaming, are contributing to rising incidents of cybercrime in the Philippines, an alarming 80 per-
cent of which is online sexual exploitation and abuse of children. Children who are most vulnerable to sexual abuse and exploitation are those with disability, members of LGBTQI, as well as those displaced by armed conflict and natural disasters and living in deprived situations. The Australian Embassy in the Philippines along with leading child rights organizations—the United Nations Children’s Fund or Unicef, Save the Children Philippines and Asia Foundation—recently launched SaferkidsPH, a six-year program that seeks to reduce cases of online sexual abuse and exploitation of children in the Philippines.
The SaferKidsPH campaign, with an A$8-million (P298 million) grant, engages the government, nongovernment agencies, special task forces and committees, civil society, communities and schools, the private sector, media and other like-minded donors to support and be part of innovative and sustainable solutions. “Online sexual exploitation and abuse of children is a crime that transcends territorial jurisdictions. The SaferKidsPH campaign aims to bring more light to this issue,” said Australian Ambassador Steven J. Robinson AO. He said the SaferkidsPH program aims to increase public aware-
ness of the risks of online sexual exploitation of children and involve children, parents, schools, private sector, civil society and media to promote online child safety and to prevent and respond to online sexual exploitation of children. At the same time, the program partners with the Departments of Justice (DOJ) and of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) to strengthen investigation, prosecution and adjudication of cases of online sexual abuse and exploitation of children in line with national legislation. The program will prioritize deprived areas in Cebu, Cagayan de Continued on a2
The never-ending trial between a billionaire heir and his nation
T
By Sohee Kim |
Bloomberg News
HREE years after explosive allegations of graft and corruption brought down the government of Asia’s fourth-largest economy, South Korea’s chaebol culture will again come under the microscope when Samsung Electronics Co. heir Jay Y. Lee returns to court. The billionaire’s retrial over expanded corruption charges begins Friday at the Seoul High Court, rebooting a landmark case that led to the impeachment of then-president Park Geun-hye and inflamed popular anger over the power of Korean conglomerates, also known as chaebols. It threat-
ens to potentially throw the defacto leader of Korea’s biggest company back in jail. “This is problematic for Samsung as it seeks to elevate and portray him as a Silicon Valleyminded reformer,” said Geoffrey Cain, author of an upcoming book about Samsung. “He won’t
PESO EXCHANGE RATES n US 51.0610
JAY Y. LEE, co-vice chairman of Samsung Electronics Co. SEONGJOON CHO/BLOOMBERG
be able to shed the image of corruption that easily.” The appeals court that decided to release Lee in early 2018 from jail, where he’d spent about a year after his initial arrest, will decide his final sentence over the course of the next few months. Factoring in the trial’s social and economic implications, Park Sang-in, a professor at Seoul National University, warns it could take longer than usual and stretch beyond six months. Unless new evidence emerges during the retrial, the appeals court is expected to rule in line with the decision of Korea’s Supreme Court, which found that Lee had used three horses and additional funds, via an intermediary, to bribe President Park while seeking political support for his succession as Samsung chief. This would mean altering Lee’s presently suspended prison sentence. The total amount of alleged Continued on a2
n JAPAN 0.4701 n UK 65.6338 n HK 6.5150 n CHINA 7.2227 n SINGAPORE 37.4540 n AUSTRALIA 34.8083 n EU 56.7032 n SAUDI ARABIA 13.6148
Source: BSP (October 25, 2019 )