w
n
Wednesday, November 27, 2019 Vol. 15 No. 48
Long way to go for PHL, S. Korea free-trade deal 30% T By Elijah Felice E. Rosales
@alyasjah
HE Philippines and South Korea are targeting to conclude their free-trade agreement (FTA) by the first half of 2020, but they have a lot of catching up to do as just one of the seven chapters was finalized by the parties after nearly half a year of negotiations.
Trade Secretar y R amon M. Lopez on Monday signed with South Korean Minister for Trade Yoo Myung-hee an early achievement package for the FTA between Manila and Seoul. The package reported the progress of negotiations, particularly on bananas, garments and automobile parts
for the Philippines and on pharmaceuticals, petrochemicals and auto parts for South Korea. Failing to meet the initial November deadline, the two camps are now targeting to conclude the trade deal by first half of next year even as only one chapter is settled so far—and it’s not even
a major chapter. Since FTA talks began in June, negotiators concluded just the chapter on competition. In the the next months, negotiators will be working on the remaining six chapters, namely, trade in goods, trade in services, investments, rules of origin, economic and
Tariff currently slapped by South Korea on bananas from the Philippines. Filipino exporters are seeking to reduce this rate to 5 percent, if not zero, under the FTA
technical cooperation and legal and institutional issues, according to Lopez. Lopez said, “it is commendable that both sides have achieved substantial progress both in the market access and text-based negotiations in a span of just six months” in spite of the failure to conclude the FTA this November. See “Free-trade,” A2
PESO exchange rates n
By Jasper Emmanuel Y. Arcalas @jearcalas
L
AWMAKERS are in a tug of war on whether local government units (LGUs) should already lift the temporary bans they imposed on the transport and sale of live hogs and pork-related products amid African swine fever (ASF) scare. Isabela First District Rep. Antonio “Tonypet” Albano maintained that many provinces, such as Isabela, remain free from ASF due to the temporary bans put in placed by the respective LGUs. “Because of the ban, Isabela is still free from ASF. Unfortunately, it does raise concerns to economic concerns for hog growers,” Albano said during a joint hearing by the House of Representatives Committees on Agriculture and Food and Local Government last Monday. “We will stick with the ban until the swine fever has been totally eradicated. We have a huge industry of hog raisers and we are also affected as a lot of our hog growers want to sell outside [but cannot],” Albano added.
By Butch Fernandez
T
See “Luzon grid,” A12
SOLONS IN TUG OF WAR OVER LOCAL PORK BAN However, House Committee on Local Government Chairman Rep. Noel Villanueva of the Third District of Tarlac said LGUs should not act like an “empire” in this time of crisis. “LGUs are not empires. LGUs are sovereign subdivisions in one sovereign nation. One province cannot act as one empire,”Villanueva said during the hearing. “Provinces are acting on their own. We need a national framework to follow and complied with by all the stakeholders. We cannot act individually in this issue. We should adhere to the one nation approach,” Villanueva added. However, Albano refuted Villanueva’s point and argued that Isabela “is not a province of empire” and the provincial government did not violate any laws in imposing a temporary ban. “We’re not defying the national of the Department of Agriculture. Even the [Department of the Interior and Local Government] has opined already that they leave this to the province’s discretion,” he said. See “Pork,” A2
Natl security audit of power facilities by Congress urged
Luzon grid on yellow alert again
HE Luzon grid was placed anew on yellow alert for 11 hours on Tuesday, the 48th this year. Tuesday’s yellow alert happened due to insufficient operating power reserve brought about by the forced outage of several power plants. Some of these power plants include the San Buenaventura Power Ltd. (SBPL) coal plant, Quezon Power Ltd. coal plant, AP Renewables Inc. geothermal plant unit 6, South Luzon Thermal Energy Corp., GN Power Mariveles unit 2 coal plant and Prime Meridian Power Corp. Avion natural gas plant unit 2. These and some more plants that experienced Outside-Management-Control outage contributed
P25.00 nationwide | 5 sections 42 pages |
A
In this photo provided by the Asean-Republic of Korea Commemorative Summit, from left, Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad, Myanmar’s leader Aung San Suu Kyi, Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte, Singaporean Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, Thai Prime Minister Prayuth Chanocha, South Korean President Moon Jae-in, Vietnamese Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc, Brunei Darussalam’s Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah, Cambodian Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Prak Sokhonn, Indonesian President Joko Widodo and Lao PDR Prime Minister Thongloun Sisoulith pose during the Asean-ROK Commemorative Summit in Busan, South Korea, on Tuesday, November 26, 2019. ASEAN-ROK COMMEMORATIVE SUMMIT VIA AP
@butchfBM
MID reports of foreign access to and control of the country’s vital power grid system, Congress was asked to mount a joint Senate-House “national security audit” of the Philippines power transmission sector. In filing Resolution 223, Sen. Risa Hontiveros paved the way for a Senate inquiry to assess the need to craft remedial legislation following a national security audit of the operations and facilities of the National Grid Corp. of the Philippines (NGCP) that is now 40-percent owned by the State Grid Corp. of China. Hontiveros also recalled that during a Senate hearing on the Department of Energy’s 2020 budget, Melvin Matibag, the president of
the National Transmission Corp. (Transco), had confirmed apprehensions that “it was possible for a hostile third party to disable the country’s power grid remotely.” Matibag also admitted to the Senate panel that despite exercising oversight function over the NGCP, Transco’s access to NGCP facilities had been limited, prompting Hontiveros to point out the need for senators to act on the matter. If the reports were accurate, she added, “these vulnerabilities pose a grave risk to public infrastructure, to national security and to daily lives of our people.” She asserted, “We must address and correct these flaws immediately.” Hontiveros said the upcoming probe will enable lawmakers to evaluate the NGCP’s performance See “Power facilities,” A12
US 50.7830 n japan 0.4661 n UK 65.5355 n HK 6.4893 n CHINA 7.2181 n singapore 37.2009 n australia 34.4156 n EU 55.9273 n SAUDI arabia 13.5422
Source: BSP (26 November 2019 )