BusinessMirror November 12, 2019

Page 1

FOR 6TH CONSECUTIVE MONTH, FDI DOWN By Bianca Cuaresma @BcuaresmaBM

F BUSINESSMIRROR FILE PHOTO

OREIGN direct investments (FDI) into the Philippines continued to decline in August this year as global and local developments hamper investors’ longterm sentiment about putting their capital into the local economy. The Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) reported that the country received direct investments at a net inflow of $416 million, 45.1 percent lower than the investments made by foreign players in the same month last year. FDI is the type of investment that is often more coveted, as it stays longer in the economy and creates job opportunities

w

n

for locals. August is the sixth consecutive month that the Philippines saw a decline in its FDI. UnionBank economist Ruben Carlo Asuncion traced the country’s inability to prop up its FDI numbers to investor concerns amid global and local developments. “These consecutive declines are seen to be the impact of the weak external environment. Global trade has continued to reel from the protracted US-China trade war and has dampened investor sentiment, particularly that of emerging markets,” he said. On a cumulative basis, the BSP said the January to August FDI hit $4.5 billion, 39.7 percent than the $7.5-billion net inflows registered last year. In a statement on Monday, the BSP also

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 Vol. 15 No. 33

CCT eyed for subsidy of garments labor pay T

By Elijah Felice E. Rosales

@alyasjah

HE struggling garments industry is asking for a cut in the P109billion conditional cash transfer (CCT) budget to subsidize the pay of its workers, as firms seek ways to reduce their operating cost and export selling price to compete in the global market.

Robert M. Young, president of the Foreign Buyers Association of the Philippines (Fobap), said one way the government can take part in the revival of the garments industry is by incentivizing firms in their hiring of workers. He argued this will

help the industry that has been suffering from loss of purchasers abroad as a consequence of stiffer regional competition. Young proposed that the government redirect some of the CCT fund to cover a portion of the wages of those employed in the garments

and textile sectors. “This is like incentivization of employment, that’s what we call it. Our proposal is to provide and include in the government program cash incentives to cover hiring of garments and apparel workers for factories,” Young said

₧108.76B CCT allocation this year, the bulk of which is appropriated for cash grants, including rice subsidy, for poor families registered in the National Household Targeting System for Poverty Reduction

in a statement last week. However, Young did not specify how much the industry wants from the CCT allocation this year of P108.76 billion, the bulk of which is appropriated for cash grants, including rice subsidy, for poor families registered in the National Household Targeting System for Poverty Reduction.

acknowledged that international concerns are preventing FDI flows from growing in the country. “The ongoing uncertainty in the global environment continued to dampen investor sentiment, which caused postponements in investment plans,” the BSP said in a statement.

Citira factor However, brewing local concerns also play a part in the decline of FDI in recent months. According to Asuncion, the Corporate Income Tax and Incentives Rationalization Act (Citira) may also be dragging down these investments. See “FDI,” A2

P25.00 nationwide | 4 sections 40 pages |

LUCIO ‘BONG’ TAN JR.’S DEATH STUNS BUSINESS By Lorenz S. Marasigan

J

UST two weeks after taking the helm at PAL Holdings Inc., Lucio “Bong” Tan Jr., died on Monday morning at the age of 53, a statement from the airline said. Bong, the son and namesake of taipan Lucio C. Tan, had been confined at the Cardinal Santos Medical Center on Saturday, where he was rushed after collapsing at a basketball game. He was 53. “His untimely passing leaves a big void in our hearts and our Group’s management team which would be very hard to fill,” his sister Vivienne K. tan jr. Tan said of her brother’s death, which shocked the business community as he had been a sportsman since his early teens and is known as a very healthy and fit man. “Bong was a son, husband, father, friend and, most importantly, our elder brother whom we all relied on for advice, counsel and leadership,” Vivienne said. He was appointed to lead PAL Holdings as president and COO on October 28, replacing Gilbert Sta. Maria. The latter remained as the president of Philippine Airlines Inc., but stepped down from his post as chief of PAL Holdings Inc. He resigned due to “personal reasons,” according to a disclosure to the stock exchange then. Bong Tan’s sister, Vivienne, is head of audit at PAL. Bong is survived by his wife Julie and sons Lucio Tan III and Kyle Tan. “Our sincerest thanks to all who offered prayers and shared words of

See “CCT,” A2

See “Tan Jr.,” A2

After 40 yrs, Matinloc, Nido oil fields cease production By Lenie Lectura

T

@llectura

HE Department of Energy (DOE) said Monday that Nido and Matinloc oil fields in Northwest Palawan have ceased producing oil. The agency participated last November 7 in the closing ceremony for the cessation of production operations of the oil fields. “ T he c losi ng of Nido a nd Matinloc’s production comes after over 40 fr uitf u l years. Throughout their operations, these two oil fields have contr ibuted sig nificant ly to our country’s energy needs. As this chapter comes to a close, we look forward to exciting times ahead as we continue our search for similar oil and gas projects that would help us attain energy se-

PESO exchange rates n

curity and fuel our continued development,” Energy Secretary Alfonso G. Cusi said. In over four decades of production operations, Nido and MOPC were able to produce 18.9 million barrels of oil and 12.5 MMBO, respectively. T he oil fields are no longer commercially viable. Undersecretary Donato D. Marcos and DOE-Energy Resource Development Bureau Director Cesar G. de la Fuente III received memorabilia from the SC 14 consortia, on behalf of the DOE. Also present were members of the Western Command of the Armed Forces of the Philippines, Task Force Malampaya, and different service contractors of the Philippine upstream petroleum sector. See “Nido oil,” A2

@lorenzmarasigan

Zubiri pushes disaster dept, Natl Hazard map updating

S

MEGAWORLD FIESTA From left, Resorts World Manila President and CEO Kingson Sian, Pasay City Mayor Emi Calixto-Rubiano, Pasay City Rep. Antonino Calixto, and Alliance Global Group Inc. CEO and Megaworld Lifestyle Malls Head Kevin Andrew Tan join Santa Claus at the Grand Fiesta Manila launch and tree-lighting ceremony on Monday (November 11) evening. NONIE REYES

ENATE Major it y Leader Miguel Zubiri, citing the string of earthquakes that shook Mindanao last month resulting in 22 fatalities, pressed Congress on Monday to front-load passage of the bill creating the Department of Disaster Resilience and a companion bill updating the National Hazard map. “We cannot stop these natural calamities, but we can prepare for them, and with disaster preparedness and resiliency, we can minimize losses in terms of human lives and properties. Let us not wait for the next one to hit before we take action,” Zubiri stressed.

US 50.4890 n japan 0.4627 n UK 64.6209 n HK 6.4503 n CHINA 7.2175 n singapore 37.1434 n australia 34.6102 n EU 55.6692 n SAUDI arabia 13.4641

See “Zubiri,” A2

Source: BSP (11 November 2019 )


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.