ROTARY CLUB OF MANILA JOURNALISM AWARDS
2006 National Newspaper of the Year 2011 National Newspaper of the Year 2013 Business Newspaper of the Year 2017 Business Newspaper of the Year 2019 Business Newspaper of the Year
BusinessMirror A broader look at today’s business
EJAP JOURNALISM AWARDS
BUSINESS NEWS SOURCE OF THE YEAR (2017, 2018)
DEPARTMENT OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
2018 BANTOG MEDIA AWARDS
PHILIPPINE STATISTICS AUTHORITY
DATA CHAMPION
LIFE AFTER MINDANAO’S www.businessmirror.com.ph
n
Sunday, November 10, 2019 Vol. 15 No. 31
P25.00 nationwide | 2 sections 16 pages | 7 DAYS A WEEK
EARTHQUAKES STRING OF TREMORS DOWN SOUTH ARE EYE OPENERS FOR DISASTER PREPAREDNESS IF THE INEVITABLE STRIKES
W
By Manuel T. Cayon
ITHIN a span of only two weeks in October, three strong earthquakes shook most of the central, eastern and northern sections of Mindanao, with tremors that could reach intensity 7. The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) described it as probably the most destructive string of quakes to jolt the South in recent history. And indeed it was. A quarter of a million residents, or 254,474, were rattled, dazed and traumatized, and 39,128 persons opted to sleep and find refuge in tents and makeshift structures than get trapped on the next unpredictable ground-shaking. Twenty-two persons died, 417 injured and two were reported missing in four regions. The temblor has so far rendered inhabitable, or dangerously standing, some 34,583 houses, which comprised 95.99 percent of all damaged infrastructure in five regions. Response, while quick in coming from even among the affected, may not be totally comforting and assuring. With aftershocks coming in streams, with periodic magnitudes of over 4—while in the category of moderate ground shaking —may further trigger more de-
struction of weakened structures, especially when the quake occurs from shallow depths.
Not yet in the recovery phase
SECRETARY Emmanuel F. Piñol, chief of the government’s socioeconomic planning unit for Mindanao, said the responses were not yet at the level of recovery for the hardhit areas. Although areas like M’lang, and the epicenter town of Tulunan in North Cotabato, and Digos City and the towns of Bansalan and battered Magsaysay towns of Davao del Sur may be able to recover immediately, he said the entire affected regions could not proceed with serious recovery and rehabilitation efforts. “We are not even near the recovery stage yet because of the uncertainties and fear that there could be more tremors,” Piñol told Continued on A2
In this October 31, 2019, file photo, Eva’s Hotel stands damaged after a strong earthquake in Kidapawan, North Cotabato. The third strong earthquake this month jolted the southern Philippines on Thursday morning, further damaging structures already weakened by the earlier shaking. AP/WILLIAMOR MAGBANUA
Will America be safe from Russian hackers in 2020 election?
T
By James Stavridis | Bloomberg Opinion
It doesn’t look like it. For example, Microsoft recently reported an attack by Iranian hackers on the e-mails of current and former US government officials, journalists covering political campaigns, and accounts associated with a presidential campaign. There is reason to believe that the attack, which consisted of more than 2,700 attempts on targeted
e-mail accounts, was backed by the Iranian government. According to security researchers and intelligence officials, hackers from Russia and North Korea have also begun targeting organizations that work closely with 2020 presidential candidates. Foreign enemies continue to see US elections as an opportunity to subvert the will of the American
PESO EXCHANGE RATES n US 50.5500
SANGOIRI | DREAMSTIME.COM
HE US is now just a year from the 2020 presidential election. In 2016, we saw foreign interests influence the outcome of a presidential race when Russian hackers infiltrated the computer networks of officials in both parties, and then selectively disseminated the e-mails of Democrats. Is the nation in better shape to counter such threats this time around?
people and exert control over our governance at the highest level. This most recent Iranian attack is a reminder that both political organizations and private enterprises face significant cybersecurity risks. Unfortunately, the legacy electoral systems most voters and organizations rely on do not offer sufficient protection in the modern digital landscape. When facing nation-state adversaries with billions in funding and information resources to rival the US National Security Agency, Americans have to think beyond the popular twofactor authentication protocols. We need to protect not only the voting systems themselves, but the e-mail, file-sharing and other communication systems of ancillary campaign groups, local officials and plenty more. What can we do to defend ourselves better? In my military and cyber experience, the operating principle is that the sophisticated Continued on A2
n JAPAN 0.4626 n UK 64.7849 n HK 6.4590 n CHINA 7.2434 n SINGAPORE 37.2540 n AUSTRALIA 34.8744 n EU 55.8476 n SAUDI ARABIA 13.4797
Source: BSP (November 8, 2019 )