‘AMID TRADE ROW, ASEAN MUST HASTEN INTEGRATION VIA SUPPORT FOR R.C.E.P.’ By Bernadette D. Nicolas @BNicolasBM
B FROM left, Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad, Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi, Philippine President Duterte, Singaporean Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, Thailand Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-Ocha, Vietnam Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc, Brunei Darussalam Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah, Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen, Indonesian President Joko Widodo and Lao PDR Prime Minister Thongloun Sisoulith pose for a group photo at the opening ceremony of the 35th Asean meeting in Nonthaburi, Thailand, on Sunday, November 3, 2019. AP/AIJAZ RAHI
w
ANGKOK—President Duterte has raised alarm over the ongoing USChina trade war as it undermines the progress of the Southeast Asian countries, and called on the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) to fast-track its economic integration through the conclusion of the much-awaited mega free-trade deal, the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP). During the plenary session of the 35th Asean Summit on Saturday, the
President said trade-related tensions and protectionism will not only pull down the countries’ economic growth but also have far-reaching consequences, particularly for food security in the developing world. The member-states of the regional bloc, he said, must strengthen their economic integration to counter rising protectionism and trade tensions. “We need an open and rules-based trading system to sustain growth. Thus, we should ensure the continued relevance and effectiveness of the World Trade Organization. And, Asean must accelerate deeper
Monday, November 4, 2019 Vol. 15 No. 25
n
economic integration through concrete programs and projects, such as RCEP,” Duterte said. Trade Secretary Ramon Lopez also told reporters on Saturday that the President’s directive is to have the RCEP concluded as soon as possible so that the country could already reap the benefits of being a party to the deal. RCEP, seen to be one of the world’s largest free-trade deals, is negotiated by member-states of Asean, as well as Australia, China, India, Japan, New Zealand and South Korea.
P25.00 nationwide | 5 sections 28 pages |
Mindanao quakes seen to impact infra, poverty House seen to okay 2019 GAA extension, polls resetting
T
By Cai U. Ordinario
@caiordinario
HE recent earthquakes in Mindanao could lead to a temporary rise in poverty and delay in infrastructure projects in the region, according to economists.
The destructive earthquakes that rocked various parts of Mindanao last week have destroyed office buildings and even medium-rise homes in the region. University of Asia and the Pacific economist Victor A. Abola told the BusinessMirror that the recent earthquakes may not significantly affect GDP but could negatively impact poverty. See “Quakes,” A12
21%
National average of poverty incidence in 2018’s first half, per PSA data. Poverty incidence in Cotabato City was at 48.7 percent; North Cotabato, 32 percent; South Cotabato, 24.5 percent. Other areas affected by magnitude 6 and below are mostly in Davao and Soccsksargen regions, where rates averaged 23.4-33.7 percent.
Quake damage lends urgency to substandard steel inquiry
By Jovee Marie N. dela Cruz
T
@joveemarie
H E le adersh ip of t he House of Representatives is eyeing to approve today (Monday) the joint resolution extending the availability of the 2019 General Appropriations Act and the bill postponing the May 2020 Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan elections. Majority Leader Martin Romualdez said these two measures are already included in the calendar of business for third and final reading on Monday. House Joint Resolution 19 seeks to extend the availability of the 2019 appropriations for maintenance and other operating expenses (MOOE) and capital outlays (CO) to December 31, 2020. The resolution amends Section 65 of the General Appropriations Act of Fiscal Year 2019, which provides that all appropriations shall be available for release and obligation until December 31, 2019. House Committee on Appropriations Senior Vice Chairman Joey Salceda of Albay said the 2019 national budget has to be extended owing to several factors, including the delayed approval of the budget in April 2019, onset of the election ban for the May 2019 elections and the restrictions imposed by cash-based budgeting. See “GAA,” A2
PESO EXCHANGE RATES n
T
the vice chairmen of the Senate Finance committee in charge of shepherding the budget bill, credited the leadership of Speaker Alan Peter Cayetano with the “so-far” pork-less measure.
HE deaths and destruction caused by the series of earthquakes that hit Mindanao in October have given lawmakers a sense of urgency in seeking an investigation of the alleged smuggling and proliferation of substandard steel products in the Philippines. At least four committee heads on Sunday backed House Resolution 379 filed by Agusan del Norte Rep. Lawrence Lemuel H. Fortun, calling on the House Committee on Trade and Industry (DTI) to immediately investigate the matter, given the possibility that the damage to certain structures might be not simply a result of the strong earthquakes but also of the substandard steel used for them. House Resolution 379 seeks to probe the alleged smuggling and proliferation of substandard steel products in the Philippines. T he committee heads who backed Fortum’s call are: Reps. Isidro Ungab, Committee on Appropriations; Robert Ace Barbers, Dangerous Drugs; Eric Go Yap, Games and Amusement.
See “Ping,” A2
See “Steel,” A2
GOOD LUCK! A well-wisher sends off a friend with a hug before the Bar examinations begin on Sunday (November 3) at the University of Santo Tomas (UST) in Manila. A total of 8,245 candidates were admitted to the Bar Examinations, according to the Supreme Court—the highest number of Bar candidates in recent years, higher than the 8,158 takers in 2018. Story on page A3, “First day of bar exams proceeds sans fanfare.” NONIE REYES
Ping cites ‘most behaved’ House leaders By Butch Fernandez
C
@butchfBM
ITING their “most behaved” House counterparts for early endorsement of the national budget for 2020 and the
absence—thus far—of indications of pork barrel, a Senate leader is confident that Congress can meet its schedule for next year’s appropriations law, thus averting a repeat of the disastrous 2019 standoff. Sen. Panfilo Lacson, one of
See “Trade war,” A2
Duterte vows to push for S. China Sea code ASAP
B
ANGKOK—President Duterte assured leaders of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) that he will push for the conclusion of the negotiations on a Code of Conduct (COC) in the South China Sea as soon as possible. During his intervention at the plenary session of the 35th Asean Summit, the President said the maritime row must be solved peacefully in accordance with international law, including the United Nations Conventions on the Law of the Sea (Unclos). This position, the President said, was even more strengthened by the country’s legal victory in The Hague Permanent Court of Arbitration, invalidating China’s sweeping claims in the South China Sea. “As Asean-China Country Coordinator, the Philippines will do its utmost part to conclude negtotiations on a Code of Conduct as soon as possible,” Duterte said in a statement. The Philippines is the Country Coordinator for Asean-China Dialogue Relations until 2021. “Notwithstanding the lack of enthusiasm by some external partners, I believe that we in Asean are one in the view that an effective and substantive COC will be good for the region,” he added. He also called on Asean countries to use all of their influence, whether individually or collectively, “to persuade countries to exercise self-restraint and avoid actions that may further complicate the situation.” The Chief Executive also warned Asean countries not to take sides as this would be a dangerous game to play, dragging countries into a vicious cycle of power balancing and security dilemmas. Such will also undo hard-won gains of peace and development for the people. Presidential Spokesman Salvador S. Panelo also said in a separate statement that the President called the taking of sides as a “strategic mistake” committed by past leaderships of the Philippines. Panelo said this is now being rectified through Duterte’s independent foreign policy. Moreover, the Palace spokesman said Duterte mentioned at the plenary session that the freedom of navigation and overflight above the South China Sea should remain a priority of Asean. While he said the 10-member state regional bloc has already come so far, the President encouraged Asean member-states to rise to the challenge, bearing in mind their shared destiny as one community. “Let us build on the achievements of the past and make Asean even stronger to face the challenges of the present,” Duterte said. The President arrived in Thailand on Friday to participate in the 35th Asean Summit and Related Summits from November 2 to 4. Bernadette D. Nicolas
US 51.0330 n JAPAN 0.4689 n UK 65.8581 n HK 6.5094 n CHINA 7.2325 n SINGAPORE 37.4802 n AUSTRALIA 35.2230 n EU 56.9120 n SAUDI ARABIA 13.6081
Source: BSP (31 October 2019 )