BusinessMirror November 03, 2018

Page 1

DEPARTMENT OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY

PHILIPPINE STATISTICS AUTHORITY

2018 BANTOG DATA MEDIA AWARDS CHAMPION

BusinessMirror A broader look at today’s business

2018 EJAP JOURNALISM AWARDS

BUSINESS NEWS SOURCE OF THE YEAR

, REUNITED AND IT FEELS SO GOOD

www.businessmirror.com.ph

n

Saturday, November 3, 2018 Vol. 14 No. 23

P25.00 nationwide | 2 sections 20 pages | 7 DAYS A WEEK

PHOTOCHUR | DREAMSTIME.COM

Hobbled by two rounds of executive suspensions that left it with a backlog of crucial paperwork for power supply agreements and projects in an energy-starved country, things are normalizing at the Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC), and its chief is confident the reforms are starting to be felt.

P

By Lenie Lectura

OWER industry stakeholders with pending applications filed before the Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) can now find relief after two suspended commissioners returned to work and two more were appointed as replacements for those who have retired.

With a full set of four commissioners and a chairperson, the agency can now fully resume work. The ERC is the regulatory body performing the combined quasi-judicial, quasi-legislative and administrative functions in the electric industry. “We welcome the new appointees. It will be good for the industry now that commissioners are all in,” commented Ramon Ang, president of San Miguel Corp. (SMC), which has a business interest in the power sector. Aboitiz Power Corp. Chief

Operating Officer Emmanuel Rubio, in a recent interview, said he is looking forward to the resolution of pending cases before the ERC. “It is always a welcome relief for industry stakeholders to know that there is a quorum. This is good news for the industry.” Amid earlier threats to abolish the ERC in 2016 by no less than President Duterte after getting reports of rampant corruption inside the agency, Malacañang recently appointed renewable-energy advocate Catherine Maceda and Davaobased lawyer Alexis Lumbatan to

the commission. They replaced Alfredo Non and Gloria Victoria Yap-Taruc, who have reached retirement age. Their appointment as new ERC commissioners is until 2025. ERC Commissioners Josefina Patricia Magpale-Asirit and Geronimo Sta. Ana, meanwhile, returned to work last month. Taruc, Non, Asirit and Sta. Ana were twice suspended by the Office of the Ombudsman within a sevenmonth period. They were administratively held liable for allegedly failing to fulfill their duty to protect the

interests of the consumers. Even before the two suspension orders were released, the commissioners had drawn the ire of the President, who earlier called for a comprehensive review of all legal remedies to overhaul and effect fundamental changes in the agency, including its officials. Duterte even said then that he would ask Congress to withhold the budget of the ERC. A lawmaker expressed concern that a budget cut would severely hamper the ERC’s ability to fulfill Continued on A2

AFP readies shift to external defense role

T

By Rene Acosta

HE Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) has served notice it is on track in meeting its objectives under its ongoing internal security operations (ISO), as it gears up to shift its full focus on the country’s territorial defense by way of its ongoing modernization program. The military puts its level of progress thus: in the stage of “clearing operations” in the war against local threat groups, par-

ticularly local terrorist groups and the New People’s Army (NPA). The neutralization of the Mindanao-based terrorists and fore-

PESO EXCHANGE RATES n US 53.6060

most, the NPA, whom the military listed as the primary threat group, are the only remaining hindrances to the military’s shift to external defense. No less than Defense Secretary Delfin N. Lorenzana said that all threat groups have been on the retreat in past months, as shown by the consistent arrest and surrender of their members and followers. The number of attacks has also declined, thus prompting even the Commander in Chief to declare that the communist-led insurgency being waged by the NPA may be over by June next year.

On the run

LORENZANA said the focused operations conducted by soldiers against the Abu Sayyaf Group, Continued on A2

ARMED Forces of the Philippines Chief Gen. Carlito Galvez Jr. (left) and Adm. John Richardson, chief of Naval Operations of the US Navy, chat prior to a news conference following their meeting on October 29, 2018 at Camp Aguinaldo in Quezon City. The US Navy will continue patrolling the disputed South China Sea even after a Chinese destroyer came dangerously close to one of its ships during a “freedom of navigation” sail-by near a contested reef. AP/BULLIT MARQUEZ

n JAPAN 0.4740 n UK 68.1279 n HK 6.8346 n CHINA 7.6937 n SINGAPORE 38.7131 n AUSTRALIA 38.0871 n EU 60.8160 n SAUDI ARABIA 14.2919

Source: BSP (October 31, 2018 )


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.
BusinessMirror November 03, 2018 by BusinessMirror - Issuu