Businessmirror May 24, 2019

Page 1

‘MOST EXPENSIVE RESORT IN THE WORLD’ UNDER D.I.L.G PROBE, FACES CLOSURE By Ma. Stella F. Arnaldo

@akosistellaBM Special to the BusinessMirror

B

A NWA Private Island, touted as the “most expensive resort in the world,” is facing the possibility of closure if found operating without the necessary government permits. The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) will also be looking into the culpability of local officials in Roxas, Palawan who may have allowed Banwa to open its doors to guests, even without accredi-

DEPT. OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY

PHILIPPINE STATISTICS AUTHORITY

2018 BANTOG DATA MEDIA AWARDS CHAMPION

tation from the Department of Tourism (DOT). DILG Undersecretary for Operations Epimaco V. Densing III told the BusinessMirror he had already instructed his staff to check with the Mayor of Roxas, Palawan why Banwa was issued a business permit to operate without the DOT requirement. “We will have this investigated and give due notice to explain, to the mayor. If found true, and if the resort has a permit without the required DOT accreditation, we will direct the LGU (local gov-

ernment unit) to suspend the permit to operate,” he said. The current mayor of Roxas, Palawan is Maria Angela V. Sabando. Her husband, Dennis Sabando, is taking over from her after winning in the recent elections. The DOT earlier confirmed they have not accredited Banwa, although an official said the resort is now working to complete certain documentary requirements. (See, “No DOT accreditation for costliest resort,” in the BusinessMirror, May 21, 2019.) See “Expensive resort,” A2

BusinessMirror A broader look at today’s business

www.businessmirror.com.ph

n

Friday, May 24, 2019 Vol. 14 No. 226

Showdown seen over ‘End of Endo’ at bicam L

By Samuel P. Medenilla

@sam_medenilla

ABOR leaders on Thursday said they will be ready to counter possible attempts from government economic managers and business groups to derail the passage of the Security of Tenure (SOT) bill as it goes through the bicameral conference next week. In a statement, Trade Union Congress of the Philippines (TUCP) Vice President Louie Corral said it is wary of a possible intervention from the Department of Finance (DOF) to derail the SOT. Finance Secretary Carlos G.

Dominguez III had already rejected the House version of the bill before it was passed on third and final reading with an overwhelming vote of support from congressmen in 2017, Corral recalled. “We still fear that DOF Secre-

tary Dominguez will move to kill the worker’s bill as it goes to the Bicameral Conference Committee next week,” Corral said. He said similar opposition may also be raised by the Employers Confederation of the Philippines

“We have already taken a crucial step backward from [an] absolute, total ban of ‘Endo’ position to permissive and allowable job contracting because we recognize employers and business flexibility.”— Tanjusay

(Ecop) and the Joint Foreign Chambers of Commerce. Corral said they are now preparing to quash such attempts with sound data and mass mobilization during the bicameral conference. “Our research team will be doing quick-response table studies and position papers to counter the false and misleading legal and economic arguments being advanced by DOF, See “Endo,” A9

2017 EJAP JOURNALISM AWARDS

BUSINESS NEWS SOURCE OF THE YEAR

P25.00 nationwide | 5 sections 34 pages | 7 DAYS A WEEK

KIM REITERATES U.S. WARNING ON HUAWEI By Recto Mercene @rectomercene

U

NITED States Ambassador to the Philippines Sung Kim said on Thursday it is up to individual countries to choose which technology to use, but made it clear that the US has serious concerns about China’s Huawei and has made an effort to share what it knows to its partners in the region and beyond, including the Philippines. “As a partner and as an ally we share our concerns with the Philippines and other partners in the region and beyond; that is a very serious concern,” he said at the “Pandesal Forum” in Quezon City. He said Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and other senior officials in Washington “have made very clear our concern about security [in] sing this Chinese technology.” He added that he knew of “one senior official in the Philippines” who is currently tasked to help de-

termine “what would be the right decision for the Philippines,” but did not name the official. The core issue with Huawei stems from its coziness with the Chinese government amid fears that its equipment could be used to spy on other countries and companies. President Trump effectively banned the US from using Huawei networking equipment and added the company to the US Department of Commerce’s Bureau of Industry and Security Entity List on May 15. The US had warned other parties that Huawei, which makes 5G technology, could hand over data to the Chinese government and countries risk losing access to intelligence-sharing. Asked how the US shared the information it had about the Chinese tech giant, Kim said, “my sense is that we have shared our information and concerns very widely and it’s not exactly secret. See “Huawei,” A2

Misibis’s Co files ₧1.1-B suit vs ‘Bikoy,’ FB, YouTube Inflation for poorest By Joel R. San Juan

slowest in 13 months

@jrsanjuan1573

B

USINESSMAN Elizaldy Co, who was implicated in the illegal-drug trade by Peter Joemel Advincula in his “Ang Totoong Narcolist” videos, is seeking at least P1.1 billion in damages against the latter as well as social-media giants Facebook and YouTube. Co is the owner of the upscale Misibis Bay Resort whom Advincula tagged as the leader of the Quadrangle Group, a drug syndicate operating in Bicol. “The truth is finally out. By his own admission, ‘Bikoy’ said everything in the viral video series that implicates me, Misibis Bay Resort and other personalities in the illegaldrug trade are pure fabrication. While my family and I are happy that this episode is finally over, our fight to clear our tarnished name and reputation continues,” Co said in a statement. Continued on A9

By Cai U. Ordinario

T

BUSINESSMAN Elizaldy Co submits his sworn statement to the Legazpi City prosecutor’s office on May 14. The man behind the popular Misibis Bay R esort filed two complaints against Peter Joemel Advincula, alias “Bikoy,” and technology giants Fabeook and YouTube. CONTRIBUTED PHOTO

PESO EXCHANGE RATES n US 52.4790

@caiordinario

HE increase in commodity prices experienced by the poorest Filipinos nationwide was the slowest in 13 months, according to data released by the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) on Thursday. Based on PSA data, inflation for the bottom 30 percent of households slowed to 4.3 percent, the slowest since the 3.7 percent posted in December 2017. Inflation for the poorest in the first five months of the year averaged 4.9 percent. Inflation for the poorest was at 6.3 percent in April 2018. It was also in January 2018 when inflation breached the 4-percent level at 4.7 percent. “Year-on-year growth of food,

beverages and tobacco [FBT] index eased further to 4.5 percent in April 2019. Likewise, the annual increase in housing and repairs [H&R] index decelerated to 4.2 percent during the month,” PSA said. However, inflation for the poorest in Metro Manila increased to 2.6 percent in April from 2.3 percent in March. Nonetheless, it was still lower than the 6.3 percent posted in April 2018. The average inflation for the National Capital Region (NCR) was 3 percent in the January-to-April period. PSA said the increase was largely due to more expensive FBT prices as well as housing prices. Data showed FBT grew to 2.5 percent, while H&R increased to 0.9 percent. See “Inflation,” A9

n JAPAN 0.4756 n UK 66.4542 n HK 6.6855 n CHINA 7.5982 n SINGAPORE 38.0558 n AUSTRALIA 36.1056 n EU 58.5298 n SAUDI ARABIA 13.9948

Source: BSP (23 May 2019 )


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.
Businessmirror May 24, 2019 by BusinessMirror - Issuu