DEPT. OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
PHILIPPINE STATISTICS AUTHORITY
2018 BANTOG DATA MEDIA AWARDS CHAMPION
BusinessMirror A broader look at today’s business
www.businessmirror.com.ph
n
Thursday, March 21, 2019 Vol. 14 No. 162
Govt set to release 4th tranche of salary hike T By Bernadette D. Nicolas
@BNicolasBM
WO months before elections and amid a budget impasse, President Duterte signed an executive order (EO) authorizing the grant of the fourth tranche of the increase in the salaries of government employees.
EO 76, wh ic h w a s sig ned by the President on March 15, amended EO 201, which provides that the implementation of the
fourth tranche of salary adjustments this year would have its funding sourced from the fullyear appropriation in the 2019
national budget. “Whereas, due to the reenactment of the FY 2018 GAA, there is a need to identify an appropriate
“We reiterate our vigorous call to the two chambers of Congress to end this impasse on the budget with dispatch that the General Appropriations Bill may finally be transmitted for the President’s review and approval.”—Panelo
P25.00 nationwide | 5 sections 44 pages | 7 DAYS A WEEK
Hanjin: A platform for industrial deepening? Rene E. Ofreneo
LABOREM EXERCENS
T
funding source to cover the requirements for the implementation of the fourth tranche compensation adjustment for civilian government personnel scheduled in 2019 under EO 201,” read the new EO. “Pending the enactment of the FY [Fiscal Year] 2019 GAA [General See “Salary hike,” A2
Continued on A11
‘Stronger antitrust law needed before opening up PHL economy’
F
See “MWSS,” A2
BUSINESS NEWS SOURCE OF THE YEAR
HE bankruptcy of Hanjin Heavy Industries and Construction Philippines is the biggest corporate bankruptcy to hit the country since the debt crisis of the 1980s. At the height of its operations, Hanjin employed, through a score of manpower agencies, over 30,000 employees. This number is equaled only by the work force of the country’s leading conglomerates, such as those in the payroll of the SM-BDO group, San Miguel group and Cebu Pacific/URC/JGSummit group. Not surprisingly, the nation’s labor centers are united on what to do with the idled Hanjin shipyard in Subic: the government should take over the sprawling facility, reported to be one of the biggest in the world. The argument: keep jobs and keep the communities that have sprouted around the Subic shipyard humming.
‘GAA should fund MWSS operations’ OR the Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System (MWSS) to fully exercise its job, the chairman of the House Committee on Public Accounts on Wednesday said the budget of the regulatory body should come from the General Appropriations Act (GAA). House Minority Leader Danilo Suarez, the panel chairman, suggested this after Manila Water Co. Inc. and Maynilad Water Services Inc. admitted during the committee hearing that they are paying a concession fee of P400 million each to MWSS. According to Suarez, the operational expenses of MWSS come from the two water firms. “We had been suggesting that the MWSS budget should come from the annual budget [and not from] the Maynilad and Manila Water,” he said. “We are not saying that there is a bias in this arraignment but [we should] remove the [doubt]. Because the MWSS is soft on their stance because they draw their salaries from the firms they regulate,” Suarez added. Randolph Estrellado, chief operating officer of Maynilad, told the lower chamber that the two water firms are paying P400 million in each concession fees annually. But due to inflation, Manila Water President Ferdinand de la Cruz said the concession fee of Manila Water and Maynilad has gone up to P522 million.
2017 EJAP JOURNALISM AWARDS
By Elijah Felice E. Rosales
R EMPLOYEES of the Quezon City local government and the Bureau of Internal Revenue assist taxpayers who trooped to the Quezon City Hall in this file photo. NONOY LACZA
House in ‘last-ditch’ bid to end budget impasse By Jovee Marie N. dela Cruz
T
@joveemarie
HE leadership of the House of R epresent at ives on Wednesday formed a threeman team that will meet with their Senate counterparts to break the budget impasse in five days. House Committee on Appropriations Chairman Rolando Andaya Jr. made the statement after the lower chamber “physically retrieved the
PESO EXCHANGE RATES n US 52.7870
budget books” it sent to Senate for signature. The three-man team will include Andaya, Albay Rep. Edcel Lagman and San Juan Rep. Ronaldo Zamora. Andaya said the team will address “contentious issues” in the 2019 General Appropriations Bill (GAB). “The House leadership has dispatched the Secretary-General [Roberto Maling] to the Senate to physically retrieve the budget
books that we sent to the senators. This is in line with the Speaker’s instruction to allow a last-ditch effort to break the budget impasse,” he said. “We are giving ourselves five days to complete this task,” Andaya added. However, Andaya clarified that the House is not backtracking from its position that the lump funds in the 2019 budget must be itemized. See “Budget,” A2
“If we open these economic restrictions now and we don’t have a level playing field, it can create a lot of havoc for the country.”—Diokno
@alyasjah
EMOVING the constitutional restriction on foreign ownership sans a strong regulatory framework on competition and law enforcement could be “disastrous” to the economy, senatorial aspirants from the minority bloc have argued. Human-rights lawyer and law dean Jose Manuel “Chel” I. Diokno said the government has to do two things first before even considering fully liberalizing the economy. He recommended strengthening the competition law and regulatory agencies before tinkering with the economic provisions of the Constitution. “[Also], we have to have really operational enforcement mechanisms. The justice system, [as well as] the regulatory mechanisms, has to be in place, and they have to be working the way they are supposed to work,” Diokno told reporters in a recent business forum in Makati. He said removing the foreign ownership cap under the Constitution without a strong legal and regulatory system could “create a lot of havoc for the country.” “If we open these economic restrictions now and we don’t have a
level playing field, it can create a lot of havoc for the country. Unless we can address that, I would not even be open to considering opening up these economic restrictions,” Diokno explained. Women’s rights advocate and senatorial candidate Samira Gutoc said she is amenable to revising the economic provisions of the Constitution for as long as national security interests are protected. “I am open to studying what industries need to be opened up because we might be lacking investments now. However, if we do it as a whole, that is terrifying,” she pointed out. Gutoc argued foreign ownership restrictions must be maintained on industries sensitive to national security, in particular telecommunications, mass media and defense. “Not those three that have an impact on national security. We also have to put emphasis on the dataSee “Antitrust law,” A12
n JAPAN 0.4740 n UK 70.0536 n HK 6.7248 n CHINA 7.8654 n SINGAPORE 39.0754 n AUSTRALIA 37.4101 n EU 59.9344 n SAUDI ARABIA 14.0762
Source: BSP (20 March 2019 )