BusinessMirror March 19, 2019

Page 1

HOUSE TO WITHDRAW BUDGET VERSION IT SENT TO SENATE, ENDING STANDOFF By Jovee Marie N. dela Cruz @joveemarie

& Butch Fernandez @butchfBM

T WORKERS lay steel bars at a drainage construction site along NIA Road in Quezon City on Monday. Construction works are being rushed in summer to avoid long interruptions from rains and flooding, but the weeks of delay in the 2019 budget’s passage has sparked fears that government-led infrastructure projects might run smack into the onset of the wet season. NONOY LACZA

DEPT. OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY

PHILIPPINE STATISTICS AUTHORITY

2018 BANTOG DATA MEDIA AWARDS CHAMPION

HE House of Representatives on Monday said it will withdraw the copy of the enrolled 2019 General Appropriations Act (GAA) that it earlier sent to the Senate for signature. San Juan City Rep. Ronaldo Zamora was tasked by Speaker Gloria MacapagalArroyo to negotiate with the Senate to break the budget impasse.

However, Zamora rejected Sen. Panfilo Lacson’s interpretation that the House conceded due to pressure from the Senate. “The House will withdraw the copy of the enrolled bill that it earlier sent to the Senate. Beyond that, nothing has been discussed or agreed between the two Houses of Congress. These are early days, so not much should be expected at this point,” Zamora said. “Well, ayoko namang sabihing bumigay [I don’t want to say one camp conceded]. Basically they wanted a sign of good faith in order to continue discussing at basically

A broader look at today’s business n

Tuesday, March 19, 2019 Vol. 14 No. 160

BSP seen cutting RRR to boost money supply

T

By Bianca Cuaresma

@BcuaresmaBM

HE Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) may slash its reserve requirement ratios (RRR) this month, as cash supply growth in recent months was stuck at single digit, according to a local economist. ING Bank Manila senior economist Nicholas Mapa said newly installed BSP Governor Benjamin E. Diokno’s first move will likely be a cut on the RRR either this week or next week. Mapa said the basis for his

forecast is his view of “tight liquidity conditions” in the market as evidenced by the single-digit growth in M3 in recent months. Data from the BSP showed domestic liquidity—broadly measured as M3—grew 7.6 percent

in January this year, the slowest growth seen in the country since September 2012. “Given the relatively tight liquidity conditions in the market, with M3 growth grinding to single-digit growth for five months and with

7.6%

The liquidity growth rate in January, considered the slowest since September 2012 the settlement of the recent RTB siphoning off roughly P200 billion from the market, the BSP may look to address the current tightening conditions with a RRR cut, announced either at the March 21 meeting or at an off cycle meeting on the 28th,” Mapa said. “Another evidence of tightening liquidity conditions would be the price of money with short-term See “RRR,” A2

HOWEVER, House Committee on Appropriations Chairman Rolando Andaya Jr. See “Budget,” A3

By Rea Cu

@ReaCuBM

EINING in spending coupled with a constant collection pace allowed the national government to post a budget surplus of P44.5 billion for January. Bureau of the Treasury (BTr) data revealed the budget surplus for the first month of the year rose by 337 percent if compared to the P10.2billion budget surplus posted in January 2018. The surplus is being attributed to growth in revenues for the month of P256.7 billion, a growth of 7 percent from the P238.9 billion collected in the same period last year. Expenditures contracted also by 7 percent to P212.2 billion if compared to the P228.7 billion incurred in January 2018. “Basically, it’s spending; we see the decline in spending. While on the revenue collection; the collections of both the Bureau of Internal Revenue [BIR] and the Bureau of Customs [BOC] remain efficient,” according to National Treasurer Rosalia V. de Leon. “There’s a significant impact of the reenactment of the budget on spending particularly on the new expenditures and the capital outlays, including of course the

SOON, IN B.G.C. Senate President Vicente C. Sotto III leads the groundbreaking ceremony at the Bonifacio Global City location where the new Philippine Senate building will be built. The Senate has been renting for over two decades from the Government Service Insurance System the building on Pasay City’s reclaimed area where it transferred since moving out of the National Museum complex in Manila. ALEX NUEVA ESPANA COURTESY OF THE SENATE

PHL, China eyeing to forge more infra deals

O

FFICIALS from the Philippines and China are set to firm up new agreements on infrastructure cooperation, which would include the Duterte administration’s projects under the “Build, Build, Build” (BBB) program, according to the Department of Finance (DOF). The DOF said in a statement that the series of meetings be-

PESO EXCHANGE RATES n US 52.6890

tween Philippine and Chinese officials this week will focus on the continued coordination between Manila and Beijing on f lagship projects under the BBB program. The Philippine delegation to Beijing led by Executive Secretary Salvador C. Medialdea will meet with top officials of China’s Ministry of Commerce (Mofcom)

on Tuesday. The DOF said that the delegation is also set to meet with Chinese Vice President Wang Qishan. Other members of the Philippine delegation are scheduled to meet separately with officials of the Export-Import Bank of China (EximBank) and the China Continued on A2

2017 EJAP JOURNALISM AWARDS

BUSINESS NEWS SOURCE OF THE YEAR

P25.00 nationwide | 4 sections 24 pages | 7 DAYS A WEEK

‘Why?’ The answer is obvious Manny F. Dooc

TELLTALES Manny F. Dooc fulfills his dream of writing a column by gracing the opinion pages of BusinessMirror every Tuesday and Friday with his Telltales. Read the second column of the former Insurance Commissioner and former Social Security System President and CEO.

W

HEN I left the government to join a newspaper, my friend asked me: “Why?” This was answered more than a century ago by Thomas Jefferson in a letter to Edward Carrington, which reads: “Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.” My dear friend, the answer is obvious. Continued on A11

Razon-Violago venture among new dams planned

T

Govt budget surplus hits ₧44.5 billion

See “Surplus,” A2

Andaya balks

BusinessMirror

www.businessmirror.com.ph

R

sinasabi nila nagpadala kayo ng ilang dokumento [they were saying ‘you sent us some documents’] containing the enrolled bill. As you see it, kung puwede bawiin wala namang problema [if it’s possible to take back those documents there shouldn’t be a problem] because until the Senate President in fact signs that, that’s still not an enrolled bill, [right]?” Zamora said.

HE Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System (MWSS) on Monday announced the construction of dams and other possible sources of water as long-term solutions to the water crisis in Metro Manila and nearby areas. MWSS Administrator Reynaldo Velasco announced this as two committees of the House of Representatives opened an inquiry amid the water shortage in Metro Manila and nearby areas since March 6. According to Velasco, the Manila Water will sign a joint venture agreement with ports tycoon Enrique K. Razon Jr. for the construction of a new dam, saying this will have a capacity of 500 million liters per day (MLD). Besides Razon, Velasco said the joint venture will include San Lorenzo Ruiz Water Development Corp. of businessman Oscar Violago. “On the possible new water sources, I think by tomorrow or next year, Manila Water will be signing a joint venture with San Lorenzo under Mr. Violago, now jointly by Mr. Razon, to put up a 500 million liters per day dam,” Velasco said. “This is actually not a rehabilitation of Wawa Dam because I [told] them that they should construct a new one because Wawa Dam is already very, very old,” he added.

Kaliwa Dam, too

ALSO part of long-term solutions, Velasco said, is the construction of the Chinese-funded 600-MLD Kaliwa Dam. “We’re starting the 600-MLD Kaliwa Dam which is now bidded and being funded by China through

ODA [O f f ic i a l De ve lopment Assistance]. The project is now waiting for engineering design, hopefully it will start in August. This is supposed to be four to five years, but we’re asking the Chinese contractors if they can shorten it to three years,” he added. However, Velasco said the MWSS is now reviewing the construction of the 1,800-MLD Laiban/Kanan Dam due to the big number of informal settlers in the area. “The Laiban/Kanan Dam is now being reviewed due to the impact on 4,800 informal settlers. Therefore, we are taking a second look,” he added. Velasco said the MWSS is now also looking at other possible new sources of water: the 500-MLD Rehabilitation of Wawa Dam; 800MLD Unutilized Water project from Angat-Norzagaray; 350-MLD Bayabas Dam, 188-MLD Sumag River Diversion Project. Velasco also disclosed plans to build tunnels and aqueducts from Ipo Dam to Bigte Norzagaray and from Bigte to La Mesa Dam.

Short-term solutions

V EL A S CO, me a nw h i le, s a id MWSS’s short-term solutions include Maynilad’s transfer of 10 MLD of its water allocation to Manila Water at the La Mesa Portal; energization of 100-MLD Cardona Rizal Water Treatment Plant; crossborder gate valve opening, which has a total of 50 MLD treated water from Maynilad, reactivation of standby 101 deep wells with approximately 100 MLD and deployment of mobile water tankers. See “New dams,” A12

n JAPAN 0.4727 n UK 70.0658 n HK 6.7121 n CHINA 7.8477 n SINGAPORE 38.9452 n AUSTRALIA 37.3407 n EU 59.6703 n SAUDI ARABIA 14.0512

Source: BSP (18 March 2019 )


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.