PAGCOR CLOSES CASINOS, TO LOSE P4B-P5B A MONTH By Bernadette D. Nicolas
T
Pagcor Chairman Andrea Domingo said this would be the revenue impact from suspending the operations of both Pagcor-owned and -operated casinos and gaming stations, as well as those which are privately owned. “In line with the instruction of President Rodrigo R. Duterte to put Metro Manila under community quarantine to prevent the further spread of the coronavirus disease 2019 [Covid-19], the
@BNicolasBM
HE Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corp. (Pagcor) will be losing about P4 billion to P5 billion per month in revenues from its suspension of operations of casinos and gaming stations in Metro Manila following President Duterte’s move to place the area under community quarantine amid the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) pandemic.
Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation is suspending all gaming operations effective immediately,” Pagcor said in a separate statement on Sunday. “The suspension applies to landbased casinos [both Pagcor-owned and -operated, as well as all licensed and integrated resort-casinos], electronic game [eGames], bingo traditional and electronic sports betting, poker and slot machine clubs, and other activities regu-
w
n
lated by Pagcor, and will last for the duration of the National Capital Region [NCR] community quarantine imposed by the government,” it added. Pagcor also said once local governments outside NCR declare a community quarantine in their respective areas, operations of Pagcor properties will also be suspended.
Pogo workers But in terms of Philippine Offshore
Monday, March 16, 2020 Vol. 15 No. 158
Gaming Operators, Pagcor said only a minimum number of workers will be allowed in their workplaces while the rest of Pogo workers “will be restricted to their living quarters where they will observe social distancing and quarantine protocols.” Sought for comment by this paper, Domingo explained all Pogo foreign workers are confined in their residences where they can continue their Internet work and a minimum number of employees
will be allowed on their workstations to secure and maintain their properties. “Pogos are different from casinos because their players are outside our country, thus, there is no face-to-face contact. Nevertheless, we have ordered [that they] be confined in their living quarters where they work from,” she said in a message to the BusinessMirror. See “Pagcor,” A2
P25.00 nationwide | 3 sections 20 pages |
Quarantine impacts business, workers
B
2019 state infra spend hits P881.7B
By Elijah Felice E. Rosales
@alyasjah
USINESSES are starting to feel the impact of restricted movement of people and goods due to the coronavirus disease (Covid-19) outbreak, as they adjust schedule of operations and work, taking into account the community quarantine imposed on Metro Manila.
“Some industries, [including] electronics and chemicals, affected by lack of raw materials and components, have initiated work rotation.”—Barcelon
Firms based in the nation’s capital are assessing their next moves in dealing with the “community quarantine” (authorities refuse to call it a lockdown, since people are allowed to leave their homes)
imposed on the region. President Duterte’s directive last week to prohibit all domestic land, air and sea travel to and from Metro Manila has left businesses searching for answers on how they should operate temporarily. George T. Barcelon, director of the Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry (PCCI), said the best option that many firms found is to either allow their employees to work from home or go on rotational schedules. “Most are still assessing the community quarantine implication on
See “Infra,” A2
PESO exchange rates n
See “Quarantine,” A2
DOT plans mercy flights for stranded
D
ESPITE the delay in the passage of the national budget, as well as the election ban during the first half of the year, state infrastructure spending in 2019 reached P881.7 billion as it outperformed infrastructure disbursements in 2018. Data from the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) showed infrastructure and capital outlays in 2019 exceeded by 9.7 percent or P78 billion the amount recorded in 2018 at P803.6 billion due to the completion or partial completion of big-ticket infrastructure projects. These include the Central Luzon Link Expressway Phase 1, CaviteLaguna Expressway, Tarlac-Pangasinan-La Union Expressway, Flood Risk Management Project for the Cagayan River, Metro Manila Subway Project, North-South Commuter Railway Project, rehabilitation of the MRT 3 and the AFP Modernization Program, among others. “Notwithstanding the contraction recorded in the first two quarters due to the delayed budget approval and the election ban, infrastructure spending ended with a positive growth rate as a result of the implementation of catch-up measures, such as the 24/7 work schedule for construction of major infrastructure projects; and streamlining of process to expedite right-of-way acquisitions and facilitate payments,” the DBM said in its assessment of government’s
their business,” Barcelon told the BusinessMirror. “Many will start work-from-home arrangements.” American Chamber of Commerce of the Philippines Executive Director Ebb Hinchliffe disclosed business-process outsourcing (BPO) firms called off work for Sunday and Monday to steer their employees clear of the expected long lines at checkpoints. “I am not aware of any company that has halted operations,” Hinchliffe said in a text message to the BusinessMirror.
By Ma. Stella F. Arnaldo
@akosistellaBM Special to the BusinessMirror
T
A policeman sprays disinfectant (clockwise, from top left) on a passenger jeepney at the boundary of Cavite and Las Piñas as the government-imposed community quarantine for Metro Manila took effect Sunday morning to prevent the spread of Covid-19. Policemen and Army soldiers man a checkpoint for vehicles from Nlex entering Mindanao Avenue in Quezon City. In Cainta’s Ardi market, however, it was business as usual as residents buy fresh meat. In San Pedro, Laguna, a policeman checks a bus conductor’s temperature with a thermal scanner. NONIE REYES/NONOY LACZA/BERNARD TESTA/ROY DOMINGO
HE Department of Tourism (DOT) is ready to mount special flights for stranded airline passengers in the provinces, due to the sudden lockdown of the National Capital Region (NCR). Major carriers had to cancel their domestic flights in and out of Manila beginning Sunday, the start of the 30-day lockdown in the NCR. These flights number at least 282 a day, airline spokesman said. As of 4 p.m. on Sunday, there were about 450 tourists stranded in Puerto Princesa who expressed interest in riding the special flights, said President Jose C. Clemente III in an interview with the BusinessMirror. “We, Tourism Congress of the Philippines [TCP], have been asked to coordinate evacuation flights for stranded passengers [caught by the NCR lockdown] from all over...Puerto Princesa, Coron, Cebu, etc.” In his posts on his Facebook account, Clemente urged his friends and followers to advise him of stranded passengers who wish to ride the DOT’s special flights. Special flights were also being mounted by Cebu Pacific Air (CEB) on Sunday, according to industry sources. “The intent is to fly out whoever is stranded,” said the sources. See “DOT,” A2
US 50.8600 n japan 0.4853 n UK 64.0277 n HK 6.5398 n CHINA 7.2368 n singapore 36.0991 n australia 32.0774 n EU 56.8055 n SAUDI ARABIA 13.5507
Source: BSP (13 March 2020)