PHL TO BUY 200,000 MT OF IMPORTED SUGAR By Jasper Emmanuel Y. Arcalas @jearcalas
T
he government has allowed traders to import 200,000 metric tons (MT) of sugar to stabilize the supply and price of the sweetener in the domestic market. The Sugar Regulatory Administration (SRA) issued on Monday Sugar Order 10 (SO-10), which authorized the importation of sugar for crop year (CY) 2017-2018. Of the volume approved by the SRA, 100,000 MT was allocated for bottlers’ grade refined sugar; 50,000 MT, standard grade refined sugar; and 50,000 MT, raw sugar for domestic consumption. “The stakeholders of the sugar industry,
Consumers check out prices at the area for sugar products at a local supermarket in this file photo. NONIE REYES
media partner of the year
United nations
2015 environmental Media Award leadership award 2008
such as planters, planters’ associations/federations and sugar millers and refiners, have written the SRA to express their concerns on increasing prices and demanding the SRA to act decisively with dispatch to contain it, even calling for the importation of sugar in view of the urgency of the supply situation,” the SRA said in SO-10. “The SRA had consultative meetings with the Department of Agriculture, as well as the Department of Trade and Industry, on the current situation in the production for raw and refined sugar and the high prices thereof. The concerned departments agreed that the SRA should adopt additional and responsive measures to ensure domestic supply and stabilize sugar prices,” it added. The SRA said it “made consultation with
majority of the stakeholders of the sugar industry, and the latter submitted their written recommendations, in the adoption of the rules on sugar importation.” Agriculture Secretary Emmanuel F. Piñol said imported sugar “is expected to arrive at the soonest possible time” to arrest the increase in the price of the sweetener. “The sugar is expected to arrive at the soonest possible time because I have instructed them that I don’t want to see abnormally high sugar prices,” Piñol told reporters in an interview on June 11. Industry sources told the BusinessMirror that traders would most likely import from Thailand, the country’s nearest Southeast Asian neighbor. See “Sugar,” A2
BusinessMirror A broader look at today’s business
www.businessmirror.com.ph
n
Tuesday, June 12, 2018 Vol. 13 No. 241
Upbeat on long term: FDI rise 43.5% in Q1 F
By Bianca Cuaresma
@BcuaresmaBM
OREIGN investors continued to show optimism in the Philippine economy’s long-term potential, as foreign direct investments (FDI) rose double-digit in the first quarter of this year.
The Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) on Monday reported a 43.5-percent rise in the aggregate FDI for the first three months of the year, owing largely
to what the Central Bank dubbed as “ investors’ continued positive outlook on the Philippine economy on the back of sound macroeconomic fundamentals
$2.2B
Mindanao’s time has come Manny B. Villar
THE ENTREPRENEUR
M
and robust growth prospects.” The growth in FDI in the first quarter of 2018 resulted in a net inflow of $2.2 billion, higher than the $1.5 billion seen in the same period last year.
indanao will soon play a pivotal role in the current Philippine economic boom. I have seen the construction of several infrastructure projects in Mindanao that will certainly boost further the island’s economy in the near future. The election of President Duterte as the first president from Mindanao has helped in the progress that we are now witnessing in the island. Christians and Muslims and the several native ethnic groups in Mindanao are now more confident of their future, unlike before, when the feeling of helplessness was widespread. This time around, the people of Mindanao feel they are relevant to nationbuilding and represented in the government after being long ignored by past administrations.
See “FDI,” A2
Continued on A6
The net FDI inflow in the first quarter of 2018, higher than the $1.5 billion in the same period last year
ADB giving $7.9B worth of loans in next 4 years
“There is nothing to be alarmed of because compared to April last year, [our April performance this year] is still 5 percent higher. Most important, [our] year-to-date at $11.75 billion [is] still 3.3 percent higher than last year.” —Lachica
@alyasjah
S
EMICONDUCTOR exporters are confident they can hit their target growth of 6 percent this year in spite of the global uncertainty on the future of trade largely due to Washington’s protectionist measures. The Semiconductor and Electronics Industries in the Philippines Foundation Inc. is standing behind its growth projection of 6 percent for the year. Seipi President Danilo C. Lachica said he is optimistic the country’s top exporting sector can withstand the escalation of a trade war between large economies. Seipi is looking to grow the electronics industry by 6 percent this year, following an all-time high exports receipt of $32.7 billion last year. It was also an 11-percent increase from the $29.4 billion recorded in 2016, and contributed 52 percent of the country’s total merchandise exports at $62.87 billion in the previous year. “There is nothing to be alarmed of because compared to April last year, [our April performance this year] is still 5 percent higher. Most important, [our] year-todate at $11.75 billion [is] still 3.3 percent higher than last year,” Lachica said. “We are maintaining our 5 percent to 6 percent growth projection, and that should bring us to about $34.5 billion to $36 billion, notwithstanding all the infractions you hear whether it is [the] China-United States trade war or [the] TRAIN [Tax Reform for Acceleration and Inclusion]. These are challenges, but I think the fact that we are operating in a technology-driven global market, they all use electronic components,” he added. Lachica admitted it is becoming difficult to expand the industry at a time the future of global trade is uncertain, but nonetheless stressed that the sector is in a “very comfortable” position to grow this year. Achieving their target for the year will be crucial for electronics exporters, as they are looking to reach $50 billion
in export receipts by 2030. Apart from this, they are also banked on to lead the exports sector in the government’s objective to hit $122 billion in export receipts—the lower end of a target that goes as high as $131 billion—by 2022. In February the Seipi chief said exporters opted to weather their expectations given the ever-changing nature of global demand. He added it is better they level down their projection and not get too excited after their one-for-thebooks performance. Last year Hong Kong retained its position as the country’s top importer of electronics with a share of 21.56 percent, higher than the 19.47 percent in 2016. On the other hand, the US took over China as the second-largest recipient of Philippine-made electronic products at 12.66 percent and 12.61 percent, respectively. Rounding up the top importers of electronics are Singapore and Japan at 9.97 percent and 8.94 percent, respectively. Germany, Taiwan, the Netherlands, Thailand and South Korea were also among the highest importers of electronic goods from the Philippines. The electronics industry saw its growth projection this year threatened with the US’s decision to impose stiffer tariffs on steel and aluminum. In a March interview with the BusinessM irror, Lachica said “there could be impact” on their sector, as China—the previous target of US duties—“is one of the big export destinations and import origins” of electronic products. However, until the impact is felt, he argued there is no need yet to recalibrate their growth target for the year.
PESO exchange rates n US 52.6500
business news source of the year
P25.00 nationwide | 4 sections 20 pages | 7 days a week
SEMICONDUCTOR EXPORTERS BULLISH ON GROWTH GOALS By Elijah Felice E. Rosales
2016 ejap journalism awards
By Cai U. Ordinario
T WHERE IT BEGAN A man in Kawit, Cavite, walks past the Aguinaldo Shrine, where the Philippine Declaration of Independence from Spain was declared on June 12, 1898. To commemorate the event, now known as Araw ng Kalayaan or Independence Day, a national holiday, the Philippine flag is raised here by top government officials on June 12 each year. The house is now a museum. NONIE REYES
Not yet time to reduce VAT rate, says DBM
T
HE government’s top budget manager wants a broader tax base before tweaking the value-added tax (VAT) to 10 percent from its current 12 percent. In a forum on Monday, Budget Secretary Benjamin E. Diokno said he sees no need to bring down the country’s VAT rate at the moment as the government banks on its fivemonth-old tax-reform program. “But the solution for our VAT rate, before thinking of whether
it should be lowered, is that we should broaden our base, our VAT base, because the bigger the base the better,” Diokno said. “I think we should see how things develop first. Let’s finish all the five tax-reform packages. I think it’s not time to go back to 10 [percent]; that’s only for extreme cases.” The chief of the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) explained the government believes the VAT system remains an effective system than collecting
personal income tax. “VAT is imposed in more than 90 percent of the countries in the world. It is a better tax system than the personal income tax system,” Diokno said. “So we believe that the VAT system is good because it’s a tax on consumption.” He added that China implements a VAT rate as high as 17 percent, higher than the Philippines’s, which enables the Communist-led state to have a sound fiscal standing. See “VAT,” A2
@cuo_bm
HE Asian Development Bank (ADB) is extending $7.92 billion worth of loans to the Philippines in the next four years, according to the National Economic and Development Authority (Neda). In a statement, the Neda said the loans will benefit the government’s “Build, Build, Build” program since many of the projects to be financed will be on infrastructure. “The focus on project investments for infrastructure over the next years is welcome. This makes us more optimistic that the “Build, Build, Build” program will be rolled out without delay,” Neda Undersecretary for Investment Programming Rolando G. Tungpalan said. In a recent meeting at the Neda headquarters, the ADB said its lending pipeline will amount to $945 million for 2018; $2.47 billion for 2019; $2.40 billion for 2020; and $2.10 billion in 2021. For 2018, the Neda said the lending pipeline covers two policybased loans (PBLs) worth $600 million, one results-based loan worth $300 million and two other projects worth $45 million. For 2019, data showed there are See “ADB,” A2
n japan 0.4817 n UK 70.6405 n HK 6.7108 n CHINA 8.2150 n singapore 39.4234 n australia 39.9561 n EU 62.0006 n SAUDI arabia 14.0396 Source: BSP (11 June 2018 )