‘DILG TO RECOMMEND EL NIDO CLOSURE’ By Ma. Stella F. Arnaldo
@akosistellaBM Special to the BusinessMirror
D RECENTLY landing on Lonely Planet’s list of hottest destinations in Asia Pacific, El Nido, seen in this BusinessMirror file photo, was specifically mentioned as a “crown jewel…where skyscraping karst formations rise out of blue water in Bacuit Bay.”
ROTARY CLUB OF MANILA JOURNALISM AWARDS
2006 National Newspaper of the Year 2011 National Newspaper of the Year 2013 Business Newspaper of the Year 2017 Business Newspaper of the Year 2019 Business Newspaper of the Year
ON’T look now, travel junkies, but El Nido in Palawan could be the next hot tourism destination to be closed. A government source told the BusinessMirror the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) will be recommending to “close Bacuit Bay and the Corong Corong outfall, with no water activities for three months.”The source requested anonymity as he was not authorized to speak on the matter. Bacuit Bay is a haven for many scuba divers because of its rich marine resources. It hosts exotic wildlife like dugong (seacows),
sea turtles, manta rays, whale sharks and various species of tropical fish and extensive coral reefs. The recommendation was made after the DILG sent an inspection team to El Nido earlier this month. The DILG will also recommend the formation of a specific task force, composed of representatives of the Departments of Environment and Natural Resources, Tourism and the DILG to enforce the closure. According to the source, the closure of El Nido, dubbed by international media and travel publications as “one of the best island beaches in the world,” would enable the task force, to rehabilitate and cleanup these areas. “The fecal coliform level in these areas is very high and waters are quite dirty,” the source
See “El Nido,” A12
BusinessMirror A broader look at today’s business
www.businessmirror.com.ph
n Monday, July 15, 2019 Vol. 14 No. 278
NCR ecozone freeze gets full DTI backing I
By Elijah Felice E. Rosales
@alyasjah
N a blow to prospective locators in Metro Manila, Trade Secretary Ramon M. Lopez has stepped back from an earlier plan to ask President Duterte to extend the transitory period of his moratorium on economic zone development in the nation’s capital. Lopez abandoned his plan to seek the extension of Administrative Order (AO) 18’s transitory period to
90 days, saying the objective of the order must be realized the soonest and this can be done by allowing its
provisions to take effect as is. To compel firms to locate their operations in rural areas and gen-
₧34B Amount of projects deemed at risk of getting derailed by the moratorium on ecozone development in Metro Manila
erate jobs there, the President in June issued AO 18 instructing the Philippine Economic Zone Authority (Peza) to no longer accept, process or evaluate proposals to put up economic zones in Metro Manila.
See “Ecozone,” A2
BUSINESS NEWS SOURCE OF THE YEAR DEPARTMENT OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
2018 BANTOG MEDIA AWARDS PHILIPPINE STATISTICS AUTHORITY
DATA CHAMPION
P25.00 nationwide | 5 sections 28 pages | 7 DAYS A WEEK
SATELLITE GOVT OFFICES IN ‘POGO’ HUBS PITCHED By Rea Cu
G
@ReaCuBM
OVERNMENT agencies have been invited to set up satellite offices at the Philippine Offshore Gaming Operators (Pogo) hubs, so that the processing of requirements the government needs from foreign workers will be more efficient and streamlined, as the hubs are envisioned to be a one-stop shop facility, a gaming executive said. Kevin Wong, chairman of the Phil-Asian Gaming Expo (PAGE), made the revelation on Friday on the sidelines of the expo at the SMX Convention Center in Pasay City. The expo opened just days after authorities revealed a strategic plan to set up so-called Pogo
By Cai U. Ordinario @caiordinario
T
T
HE recr uitment industry said on Sunday it welcomes the creation of the Department of Overseas Workers (DOOW), which President Duterte wants to set up by year-end. “The DOOW is long overdue,” said recruitment consultant Manny Geslani. “This will be for the benefit of 3 million temporary migrant workers.” He expressed optimism that the one-stop shop department will relieve hundreds of thousands of workers of the burdens of “simply going from one government office to another.” He said the current setup “taxes many of the applicants [as they]
2018 EJAP JOURNALISM AWARDS
hubs, in recognition of the big strides made by the government in regulating the sector and maximizing revenue, which grew from just P56 million to P11.9 billion between 2016 and 2018. “Within the Pogo hub, everything will be there. It’s not just the operators but a lot of one-stop shop solutions will be there. Pagcor [Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corp.] will have an office there. We’ll also invite [the Bureau of Immigration], BIR [Bureau of Internal Revenue].... So in terms of numbers, visas, the TIN [income tax number], all will be covered,” said Wong, who is also the general manager of the Oriental Group (OG), a gaming firm. See “Pogo,” A2
Cabinet okays project cost hike for Mindanao railway
Recruitment leader backs department for OFW
See “OFW,” A2
said in Filipino. The timing of the area’s closure is just right, added the source, as the low season for tourists is usually from July to October, with the arrival of the monsoon rains and typhoons. According to the Department of Tourism (DOT) web site, as of March 2018, there were 26 accredited accommodation establishments in El Nido. While the government source said the properties of the Ayala Hotels and Resorts Corp. will not be impacted directly by the closure, many of these are actually located within Bacuit Bay and frequently hold watersports activities there. These resorts are on Miniloc, Pangalusian and Lagen Islands, as well as its newly opened Lio Tourism Estate.
MIGRANT workers from the Middle East wait for their luggage at the Naia Terminal 1 in this 2018 file photo. The government is looking to set up a one-stop shop Department of Overseas Workers to better protect them from the unfair practices and abuses, and facilitate the process of vetting and documentation of migrants. NONIE REYES
PESO EXCHANGE RATES n
HE Mindanao Railway Project, an ambitious effort to link most southern cities and provinces by rail, will now cost 125.25 percent more, after the interagency Investment Coordination Committee (ICC) Cabinet Committee (Cabcom) approved the increase for its Phase 1 (Tagum-Davao-Digos Segment). In a recent meeting, Cabcom also approved the increase in the cost of the Metro Manila Priority Bridges Seismic Improvement Project, which seeks to make two major bridges, Lambingan and Guadalupe Bridge, fit to withstand the “Big One” or the earthquake that experts foresee could hit the capital region anytime. Documents obtained from the
National Economic and Development Authority (Neda) showed the Mindanao Railway Project Phase 1 will now cost over P80 billion, or a 125.25-percent increase from P35.91 billion. Data showed the increase in cost was due to the addition of a Davao satellite depot. There were several options presented and the ICC Cabcom chose Option 3 without land development. Option 3 without land development cost P80.887 billion to undertake. It also provides for a single track project, no second track provision and no provision for electrification. The amount, however, did not cover the new depot, which, when added to the cost of Option 3, could bring the project up to around P82 billion. The Mindanao Railway System is a 2,000-kilometer railway with two See “Railway,” A2
US 51.2590 n JAPAN 0.4725 n UK 64.1916 n HK 6.5527 n CHINA 7.4570 n SINGAPORE 37.7793 n AUSTRALIA 35.7429 n EU 57.6971 n SAUDI ARABIA 13.6669
Source: BSP (12 July 2019 )