PHL LABORS OVER CORRECT JOBS DATA By Jasper Emmanuel Y. Arcalas @jearcalas
& Samuel P. Medenilla @sam_medenilla
I
S the glass half full or half empty? That’s a question that also concerns the government’s labor data. Due to various constraints, the government could only provide a “snapshot” of the country’s employment situation, giving rise to different interpretations by officials and think tanks like IBON Foundation Inc., which recently stirred a hornet’s nest by saying that the government’s claimed number of jobs created is actually just a fraction of the real figure. National Economic and Develop-
DEPT. OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
PHILIPPINE STATISTICS AUTHORITY
2018 BANTOG DATA MEDIA AWARDS CHAMPION
ment Authority (Neda) Undersecretary Rosemarie G. Edillon told the BusinessMirror that the government neither has nor collects data that specifically determines the “new” jobs or employment created in a given time or period. The government only uses the year-on-year change in the employment rate of the country to approximate the number of works created in a given year, according to Edillon. However, the same data set—the number of employed Filipinos locally —also includes those who are reentrants, or those previously employed, on top of the “newly” employed ones, Edillon added.
See “PHL labors,” A2
BusinessMirror A broader look at today’s business
www.businessmirror.com.ph
n
Thursday, January 31, 2019 Vol. 14 No. 113
‘Spending ban exemption to cover ₧500-B projects’
T
By Bernadette D. Nicolas
@BNicolasBM
HE Executive branch will likely ask the Commission on Elections (Comelec) to exempt at least P500 billion worth of big-ticket projects from the election spending ban to avoid delays in the government’s massive infrastructure program. Budget Secretary Benjamin E. Diokno said economic managers will submit a memorandum detailing their proposal to President Duterte in time for the Cabinet meeting next week. “We are ready to submit a memo to the President and he, in turn, will
ask the Comelec to exempt at least the 75 big-ticket projects so that there will be little disruption in our ‘Build, Build, Build’ [BBB] program,” he told reporters on Wednesday. “Our budget for infra is close to P1 trillion, and it is very important that we have them started during
the dry months, so we can say that maybe at least half of the trillion will get started this first quarter,” he added. The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) chief clarified that economic managers are not seeking a “blanket” exemption,
“Our budget for infra is close to P1 trillion, and it is very important that we have them started during the dry months, so we can say that maybe at least half of the trillion will get started this first quarter.”—Diokno
as they have already identified specific projects that should not be covered by the ban. Of the 75 big-ticket infrastructure projects, Diokno noted that half are already on stream, including some of the major projects being undertaken by the Department of Public Works and Highways. He said this is not the first time that the Executive branch has requested for an exemption from the
HE Department of Budget and Management (DBM) said it is conducting a study that will aid the government in crafting a “solid” strategy to address slow farm production after President Duterte said agriculture is dragging down the country’s economy. Budget Secretary Benjamin E. Diokno told reporters in a news briefing on Wednesday that they will be ready with the study in time for next week ’s Cabinet meeting. “We need all the evidence and all the facts so we can come up with a more solid conclusion and strategy moving forward because the President really has expressed
concern that agriculture is dragging [down] the whole economy,” Diokno said. The government would have been able to hit its GDP growth target of 7 percent last year if farm production expanded by 4 percent, considering the good performance of the Services and Industry sectors in 2018. “A g r icu lt ure has not been performing well. We cannot afford that because it is also important in our desire to reduce poverty to about 13 percent by 2022. Plus, of course there are some 105 million consumers, so it also affects their general wellbeing,” Diokno said. See “DBM,” A2
PESO EXCHANGE RATES n US 52.4820
2017 EJAP JOURNALISM AWARDS
BUSINESS NEWS SOURCE OF THE YEAR
P25.00 nationwide | 6 sections 44 pages | 7 DAYS A WEEK
ILO’s dilemma: Shaping the social contract for the 21st century Rene E. Ofreneo
LABOREM EXERCENS
T
HE International Labor Organization (ILO) is celebrating this year its centenary. It was established in 1919 as part of the Treaty of Versailles, the treaty forged by the winning Allied forces to formally end World War I. So what is the connection between the war and the formation of the ILO? The ILO’s founding Constitution succinctly explains the reason: “Whereas universal and lasting peace can be established only if it is based upon social justice; And whereas conditions of labor exist involving such injustice, hardship and privation to large numbers of people as to produce unrest so great that the peace and harmony of the world are divided.”
See “Spending,” A2
Continued on A7
DBM looking for ways to expand production of PHL farmers, fishers
T
“That’s why for labor force survey, we take four snapshots, then we average it,” she said in an interview. “We just approximate by looking at the number of employed minus the number of employed last year.” In a recent news briefing, Edillon said the country generated 826,000 jobs in 2018, which was based on the difference between the average number of employed Filipinos in 2018 and 2017. In 2018, 41.160 million Filipinos were employed compared to the 40.334 million recorded employment in 2017, Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) data showed.
‘Probe $85-M LandBank loan to Hanjin’
T
PAG-IBIG REPORT Sec. Eduardo D. del Rosario, chairman of the Housing and Urban Development Coordinating Council and Pag-IBIG Board of Trustees, delivers the Pag-IBIG Fund Chairman’s report, with the theme “Tiwala at Tangkilik ng Miyembro, Matatag na Pondo,” on Wednesday at the Philippine International Convention Center. He cited Pag-IBIG’s record growth in net income, even as gross income declined. Story on page A8. ROY DOMINGO
HE Philippine Maize Federation Inc. (PhilMaize) has formally written to President Duterte urging him to investigate the Land Bank of the Philippines (LandBank) for extending a loan of $85 million to South Korean shipbuilder Hanjin Heavy Industries and Construction Co.-Philippines (HHIC-Phil). In its letter, a copy of which was obtained by the B usinessM irror, PhilMaize argued that the government should also scrutinize LandBank’s loan portfolio to determine if it had been faithful to its mandate of prioritizing the agriculture sector. The letter was also sent to the offices of House Speaker Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, Senate President Vicente C. Sotto III, Agriculture Secretary Emmanuel F. Piñol and Finance Secretary Carlos G. Dominguez III, who chairs the LandBank board. See “PhilMaize,” A8
n JAPAN 0.4801 n UK 68.6570 n HK 6.6889 n CHINA 7.7959 n SINGAPORE 38.8180 n AUSTRALIA 37.5246 n EU 60.0289 n SAUDI ARABIA 13.9941
Source: BSP (30 January 2019 )