BusinessMirror January 14, 2019

Page 1

HANJIN’S CREDITOR BANKS ‘WORKING TOGETHER,’ GOVT EYES ‘WHITE KNIGHT’ By Rea Cu @ReaCuBM & Samuel P. Medenilla @sam_medenilla

T THIS glorious day—a vessel delivery ceremony at Hanjin’s Subic facility—happened just last January 25, 2018. Yet, it seems ages ago, after the beleaguered Korean shipbuilder filed for corporate rehabilitation last week. PHOTO BY HENRY EMPEÑO

DEPT. OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY

PHILIPPINE STATISTICS AUTHORITY

2018 BANTOG DATA MEDIA AWARDS CHAMPION

HE Land Bank of the Philippines (LandBank), as well as the other four creditor banks of Hanjin Heavy Industries and Construction Philippines (HHIC-Phil) are working together to address the $412-million debt problem that forced the company to seek relief from the courts on January 8, the Department of Finance (DOF) said. Finance Secretary Carlos G. Dominguez III told reporters that all five creditor banks should focus on working together

to address the financial fallout from the troubles of the giant Korean shipbuilder. Once known as Subic’s shining star, being the largest investor and employer at the free port, Hanjin filed for corporate rehabilitation. “LandBank has an exposure to Hanjin, together with other banks. I don’t know the exact exposure of the other banks, but definitely, we are not the largest single lender. It’s a problem, we have to address it. There are assets to be had, and this is a difficult problem; it has to be worked through by the banks,” said Dominguez,

who is also chairman of LandBank. It was reported that the five domestic banks with exposure to Hanjin are: The Rizal Commercial Banking Corp. (RCBC), BDO Unibank, Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI), Metropolitan Bank and Trust Co. (Metrobank), and LandBank. “It’s going to hurt, but it’s still the early days. The banks have agreed to work together, and see how we can move forward here. The real important thing here is, what are the prospects in their industry, are there good prospects in the industry...,” Dominguez added.

BusinessMirror A broader look at today’s business

www.businessmirror.com.ph

n

Monday, January 14, 2019 Vol. 14 No. 96

T

By Elijah Felice E. Rosales

@alyasjah

HE Philippine Economic Zone Authority (Peza) registered a 41-percent decline in investment approvals for the whole of last year, as firms held on to their capital in anticipation of the rationalization of tax incentives. Investments registered with the Peza in 2018 slumped 40.97 percent to P140.24 billion, from P237.57 billion in 2017. A total of 529 fresh projects represented these investment pledges, down 4.51 percent, from the 554 projects applied in 2017.

Peza Director General Charito B. Plaza attributed the double-digit decline to the uncertainties brought about by the Tax Reform for Attracting Better and High-Quality Opportunities (Trabaho) bill. The Trabaho bill will gradually reduce corporate income tax to 20

percent in 2029, from 30 percent. In exchange, it will restructure the menu of incentives, such as the 5-percent tax on gross income earned (GIE) in lieu of all local and national taxes, granted to firms in economic zones. Plaza said potential investors held

on to their capital to wait for the final provisions of the measure, while existing locators postponed their expansion plans in fear that their tax perks could be removed soon. The House of Representatives in September swiftly passed their version of the second tax reform package, dubbing it “Trabaho” bill to highlight a supposed feature of the bill to enhance job opportunities. The Senate, however, opted to deliberate further on the measure amid an uproar over the unintended consequences of its predecessor law, the Tax Reform for Acceleration and Inclusion (TRAIN). “The drop is for new investments caused by the uncertainties of change of policies [and] incentives. Peza’s existing IT-BPM [information technology and business-process management] industries are expanding and [were at their] highest

“Peza industries are exporters and are efficiency seekers, so they weigh the advantages and disadvantages of countries’ incentives and other factors [for] production given the huge capital investments they will [bring to] the country of their choice.”—Plaza

in the last two quarters when the uncertainties were removed by the Senate’s nonpassage of their version,” Plaza told reporters. Total investments in the IT-BPM industry in 2018 improved 32.20 percent to P20.56 billion, from P15.55 billion in 2017, but only saw an increase of one project to a total of 188. See “Peza,” A8

PHL piques interest of Asian investors, data on FDI show By Bianca Cuaresma @BcuaresmaBM

HINA has overtaken the United States in terms of the volume of net equity capital investments to the Philippines in the January-to-October period last year, according to data from the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP). However, a closer neighbor’s volume of long-term investments to the Philippines is almost triple that of the combined capital placements of China and the US during the period, BSP data indicated. Figures from the BSP showed that Singapore was the top net equity capital investor to the Philippines during the period, comprising about half—or 45.5 percent—of the net equity capital investments. Net equity capital investment is the second-largest component of the country’s measure of foreign direct investments (FDI). Singapore’s net equity capital investment neared the billion-dollar mark to hit $905.65 million. This is 136-percent higher than the country’s $384.25-million investments in the same period last year. According to the Asean Investment Report 2018, Singapore is the

largest source of intra-Asean FDI, with about $18.3 billion FDI to the region in 2017. The report, however, stated that not all investments from Singapore are “indigenous,” as other multinational enterprises invest in the Asean via their Singapore operations. Singapore’s net equity capital investments to the Philippines during the period surpassed the $309.54-million combined net equity capital investments of the two rival economic powerhouses, China and the US.

Increasingly Asian

THE net equity capital investments of China—which is currently in a trade spat with the US—to the Philippines rose significantly and reached $189.33 million, from last year’s $13.25 million in the same period last year. The volume of Chinese net equity capital investments was higher than that of the US, which declined to $120.21 million, from $454.33 million in 2017. L atest d at a f rom t he BSP showed that, overall, net equity capital investments to the Philippines are becoming increasingly Asian in origin.

PESO EXCHANGE RATES n US 52.1710

See “FDI,” A2

2017 EJAP JOURNALISM AWARDS

BUSINESS NEWS SOURCE OF THE YEAR

P25.00 nationwide | 5 sections 26 pages | 7 DAYS A WEEK

Peza investment approvals dip 41% as firms await tax perks bill

C

Continued on A2

Diokno: Better to use loans for P47-B Mla Bay cleanup By Bernadette D. Nicolas @BNicolasBM

T

HE budget chief recommended at the last Cabinet meeting that the country obtain a loan from the Asian Development Bank (ADB) or World Bank to finance the “ambitious” rehabilitation of Manila Bay—pegged to cost around P47 billion. Although there was still no decision on his recommendation, Budget Secretary Benjamin E. Diokno told the BusinessMirror that this proposal was also backed by Socioeconomic Planning Secretary Ernesto M. Pernia. However, Finance Secretary Carlos G. Dominguez III was not present during the meeting, Diokno said. “…In fact, I recommended that we just borrow money so that there will be more discipline,” Diokno said. “We will just borrow money from ADB or World Bank.” Sought for clarification, Diokno said this was because the fund needed is “too big.” “So if it’s not multiyear, it could be five years, because if it’s like that, there will be more discipline to review the feasibility [of the project],” he said, noting that the cleanup was an “ambitious program” covering three regions, particularly the National Capital Region and Regions 3 and 4.

Road tax?

ENVIRONMENT Secretary Roy A. Cimatu checks out the Estero de San Antonio Abad in Manila during an ocular inspection of wastewater outfalls and pipes in the Manila Bay area. NONOY LACZA

Most hotels back Manila Bay cleanup, but...

M

OST hotels around the Manila Bay area have expressed support for the cleanup of the historic bay straddling three of the country’s most progressive regions, but a few want the government to first look at the pollution from informal settlers before the hotels. Others want it to mitigate the impact on tourism numbers once hotels are shut down for alleged pollution. “If there are violations from hotels, of course these need to be fixed,” said Arthur Lopez, president of the Philippine Hotel Owners Association. But he stressed, “the DOT [Department of Tour-

ism] must plan and must assist in relocating displaced guests with minimal inconvenience to the latter.” The DENR is implementing a onestrike policy against hotels found discharging untreated wastewater into Manila Bay. About 2,000 hotels are on the Department of Environment and Natural Resources inspection list, as well as 500 condominium developments. (See ,“DENR has 1-strike policy vs pollutive bay condos,” in the B usi ness M irror, January 11, 2019.) “I just hope those hotels with existing sewerage treatment plants will be exempted from any penalties and sanc-

tions,” said one veteran hotelier managing a large chain of accommodations, but declined to be identified. “We install our STPs right at the planning stage, as it’s part of our corporate social duty responsibility to the environment. Installing them are not knee-jerk reactions. Those are buried in the earth, expensive and as huge as trailer trucks.” He added, “Hopefully they will commend those compliant, unlike you-knowwhere [i.e., Boracay Island] wherein they applied the shotgun approach and they closed all the establishments‚ compliant as well as violators.

See “Manila Bay,” A2

THIS, as he also confirmed that the government is also looking at sourcing the fund needed for the cleanup from the road user’s tax, billions of which are no longer being released after the President said he wanted the Road Board abolished for corruption. The Department of Environment and Natural Resources has said that the cleanup would take seven years. Diokno said the Road Board abolition will pave the way for the government to revert the total road user’s tax to the general fund. “We need to abolish it, then you need to have a special budget. You have to file a bill in Congress for the use of that fund so you need that under the present structure, [since] the road user’s tax is supposed to be used for road maintenance,” he said. Malacañang has said that the Road Board funds can also be used for Tropical Depression Usman’s victims and public hospitals. Last Tuesday, President Duterte threatened to close hotels near Manila Bay if they do not practice proper waste treatment. He also ordered Interior Secretary Eduardo M. Año and Environment Secretary Roy A. Cimatu to proceed with plans to clean up Manila Bay, as they did with Boracay. The President said he is also not bothered if this move will affect the number of tourists staying in these hotels.

n JAPAN 0.0.4810 n UK 66.4972 n HK 6.6557 n CHINA 7.6846 n SINGAPORE 38.5851 n AUSTRALIA 37.4692 n EU 59.9914 n SAUDI ARABIA 13.9082

Source: BSP (11 January 2019 )


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.