ANTI-RED TAPE CZAR NAMED SOON–LOPEZ By Elijah Felice E. Rosales
C
ALM down, business leaders. The government is close to fully enforcing the Ease of Doing Business (EODB) law, as its chief implementor will be named soon, the country’s trade chief said on Tuesday. Responding to a BusinessMirror story on January 8, Trade Secretary Ramon M. Lopez said President Duterte is expected to appoint soon the director general of the Anti-Red Tape Authority (Arta). The Arta is tasked to oversee compliance of local and national government
TRADE Secretary Ramon M. Lopez gestures as he stresses a point at a forum in this November 2018 file photo. BUSINESSMIRROR
DEPT. OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
PHILIPPINE STATISTICS AUTHORITY
2018 BANTOG DATA MEDIA AWARDS CHAMPION
@alyasjah
agencies with the provisions of the EODB law. The nonappointment of the Arta chief is the sole reason the EODB law has yet to take full effect, as the law requires prior appointment of that person. This, for the business leaders, is alarming, as the EODB law is expected to help the Philippines bounce back from its dismal showing in competitiveness surveys last year. The country fell by double-digit notches in the 2019 edition of the World Bank’s Doing Business report. “We expect a director general for [the] Arta to be appointed soon,” Lopez told the BusinessMirror.
Once the law is in full swing, simple government transactions must be completed within three working days; complex transactions within seven working days; and highly technical transactions within 20 working days. It will also reduce the number of signatories needed to obtain governmentissued documents.
Philexport
THE benefits of fully implementing the EODB law compelled Philippine Exporters Confederation Inc. (Philexport) President Sergio R. Ortiz-Luis Jr. to tell the government to hasten the issuance of the IRR. See “Anti-red tape,” A8
BusinessMirror A broader look at today’s business
www.businessmirror.com.ph
Wednesday, January 9, 2019 Vol. 14 No. 91
n
S
@villygc
OUTH Korea’s ship builder Hanjin Heavy Industries and Construction Co. Philippines Inc. on Tuesday filed for corporate rehabilitation at the Olongapo Regional Trial Court, seeking protection from its creditors.
$1.64B
The value of Hanjin’s Philippine assets. The once mighty Korean firm—that at one point propelled the Philippines to become the fifth top ship builder in the world—had already sounded off in mid-2018 that it is selling its Philippine assets, but the deal fell through.
Ahead of the submission of the rehabilitation proposal in the local courts, its mother company, Hanjin Heavy in South Korea, had disclosed to Korean regulators the filing of the case in the Philippines, according to a report by Yonhap news agency in the Korea Herald. T he shipya rd operat ion is known to be struggling to pay hundreds of millions of dollars in loans to some of the Philippines’s leading banks. Continued on A2
Road funds also eyed for Manila Bay cleanup By Ma. Stella F. Arnaldo
@akosistellaBM Special to the BusinessMirror
See “Manila Bay,” A2
Dollar bonds fetch $1.5B, PHL cites good market support By Rea Cu
T
@ReaCuBM
HE Republic of the Philippines has successfully raised $1.5 billion through the issuance of 10-year dollar bonds, demonstrating the country’s ability to respond tactically to conducive market conditions to capture a favorable issuance window, according to the Bureau of the Treasury (BTr). The BTr said in a statement on Tuesday that the global bonds issuance was priced at United States (US) Treasury spreads of plus 110 basis points carrying a coupon rate of 3.75 percent, and will be settled on January 14, 2019. “We have garnered strong support from the global fixed-income investor community despite recently heightened volatilities in the global markets. This demonstrates strong conviction from the global investor community on the Republic’s economic fundamentals, as well as the depth of the Republic’s investor outreach,” said National Treasurer Rosalia V. de Leon.
Rating
T
HE funds for the rehabilitation of Manila Bay will likely be sourced from the Road Board Users Tax, according to a Malacañang official. In a press briefing on Tuesday, Presidential Spokesman Salvador S. Panelo added that the bay cleanup will likely cost “P46 billion…. And that the primary purpose is to get those funds [from the Road Board] to defray expenses for these items: Storm Usman victims, hospitals and cleanup of Manila Bay.” He added Environment Secretary Roy A. Cimatu had expressed the hope that the rehabilitation would be completed “at the end of [President Duterte’s] term…. What is important to the President is that we will clean up this Manila Bay.” Due to the massive scale of the project, environment officials, however, have said the rehab could take longer. (See, “Saving Manila Bay,” in the BusinessMirror, January 5, 2019.) Panelo added that the rehabilitation of Boracay Island will be the template followed in the cleanup of Manila Bay in that “the policy of the government is if you violate certain regulations—then you have to pay for that. Whatever we did in Boracay, [i.e. closing resorts with environmental violations], we will do for all.”
BUSINESS NEWS SOURCE OF THE YEAR
P25.00 nationwide | 5 sections 24 pages | 7 DAYS A WEEK
Hanjin Subic shipyard seeks court relief from creditors By VG Cabuag
2017 EJAP JOURNALISM AWARDS
HANJIN Shipyard, located in Redondo Peninsula, Subic Bay Freeport Zone, is seen from across the bay on Tuesday. The free port’s biggest investor and employer is seeking rehabilitation, under the weight of hundred of millions of dollars in loans to some of the country’s leading banks. NONIE REYES
Andaya to sue Diokno over state workers’ pay hike release By Jovee Marie N. dela Cruz @joveemarie
& Bernadette D. Nicolas
H
@BNicolasBM
OUSE Majority Leader Rolando Andaya Jr. has threatened to file a case for mandamus before the Supreme Court against Budget Secretary Benjamin Diokno if the scheduled salary increase for state workers is not out by next week. Andaya said on Tuesday a re-
PESO EXCHANGE RATES n US 52.3580
enacted budget is not an excuse to stop the implementation of the salary increase for civil servants, which is set this January 15. Relatedly, Malacañang said, however, that the Executive is unfazed by the threatened lawsuit, saying it is well within Andaya’s right to file it. At the same time, Presidential Spokesman Salvador Panelo took a swipe at the majority leader, saying his allegations of wrongdoing against Diokno lacked common sense.
On Tuesday, Andaya, who had earlier separately accused Diokno of conspiring with his daughter’s in-laws to funnel billions for floodcontrol projects into Bicol, said: “My advice to Secretary Diokno: Do not make the reenacted budget as an excuse in not implementing salary increases for our civil servants. The DBM has all the tools in pushing through with the salary increases this year,” he said. “Secretary Diokno is using every trick in the book to rush the
Senate and the House of Representatives into approving his pet projects under the proposed 2019 national budget. Now, the DBM is using scare tactics, warning that a delay in the budget’s approval will affect the release of the funds for the salary hike of soldiers, policemen, teachers and civilian employees,” he added. According to Andaya, the first round of salary increase for uniformed personnel in 2018 happened
ON Monday, the ROP bonds were given a rating of “Baa2” by Moody’s, and “BBB” by Standard & Poor’s as well as Fitch Ratings. See related story on B3. De Leon earlier pointed out that proceeds of the issuance will be for the Republic’s general purposes, including budgetary support. According to the BTr, the government was able to capitalize on the recent positive markets’ trading tone after the strong US employment data release last Friday, resulting in the issuance of the notes on January 7, 2019. By geographical allocation, 37 percent of the bonds were allocated to Asia, 28 percent to the US and 35 percent to Europe. In terms of investor type, 52 percent went to asset managers; 22 percent went to banks; 14 percent went to sovereign wealth funds, pension funds and insurance; and the remaining 12 percent went to private banks and other type of investors. “This transaction further illustrates deepening investor confidence in the Philippines’s growth story and the Duterte administration’s ability to maintain fiscal discipline while spending big on infrastructure modernization, human capital development and social protection for the poor,” said Finance Secretary Carlos G. See “Dollar bonds,” A8
Continued on A8
n JAPAN 0.4817 n UK 66.8612 n HK 6.6832 n CHINA 7.6430 n SINGAPORE 38.6235 n AUSTRALIA 37.4046 n EU 60.0913 n SAUDI ARABIA 13.9588
Source: BSP (8 January 2019 )