BusinessMirror February 25, 2019

Page 1

PHL MOURNS PASSING OF B.S.P.’S ESPENILLA By Bianca Cuaresma @BcuaresmaBM

‘W BM FILE PHOTO

E shall endeavor to fulfill our core mandates with greater vigor and integrity to ensure that both the economy and the financial system remain strong, stable and resilient so that they facilitate transformational opportunities for all.” This was part of Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas Governor Nestor Espenilla Jr.’s speech when he took office in July 3, 2017. Only about 19 months after, staff at the country’s central monetary authority will make this their marching order to keep the BSP afloat in the days following the demise of its captain.

DEPT. OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY

PHILIPPINE STATISTICS AUTHORITY

2018 BANTOG DATA MEDIA AWARDS CHAMPION

The BSP confirmed the passing of Espenilla at dawn of Sunday. He was 60. The Monetary Board said he died on February 23 after just a year of battling cancer. In a phone interview with the BusinessMirror, BSP Deputy Governor Diwa Guinigundo said the Central Bank is ready to exert all efforts to continue its operational excellence in the coming days and deliver their core mandates, even as the institution mourns the passing of the governor. He also allayed fears of potential market uncertainties, saying the BSP is resilient enough to facilitate its operations during this time. “I think the market is mature enough that the BSP is a very strong organization. We have metamorphosed into what we are today for a number of

reasons,” Guinigundo said. “I think we also demonstrated that in the time of Governor Tetangco when he went through the knife years ago when he was governor and also in the last few months when Governor Espenilla himself was going into intermittent medical leave. The BSP proved to be stable and effective in discharging its responsibilities as defined by the three pillars of central banking,” he added. It was early 2018 when Espenilla revealed that he was diagnosed and treated for tongue cancer, which was detected in November 2017. In September last year, Espenilla also took a monthlong medical leave for treatment. The BSP said that the governor may

be taking“intermittent medical leaves”from then on. He took another 18-day medical leave in January for treatment overseas. Prior to his appointment as governor in 2017, Espenilla rose through the ranks in the BSP since joining the institution in 1981. He served 38 years in the BSP and used to describe himself as a“homegrown” product of the local central bank.

Bank reform and financial access champ BEFORE taking office as the BSP chief, Espenilla was in charge of the Supervision and Examination Sector (SES), which supervises all financial institutions under the BSP jurisdiction.

BusinessMirror A broader look at today’s business

www.businessmirror.com.ph

n

Monday, February 25, 2019 Vol. 14 No. 138

Solon, investors prod govt on EODB’s IRR L

By Jovee Marie N. dela Cruz & Elijah Felice E. Rosales

@joveemarie @alyasjah

AWMAKERS and foreign investors sought answers at the weekend for the inordinate delay in the implementation of the Ease of Doing Business (EODB) Act, once hailed as a game changer in encouraging commerce in the country. A member of the House Committee on Economic Affairs on Sunday asked the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) and the newly formed Anti-Red Tape Authority (Arta) to explain to Congress the delay in the issuance of the

implementing rules and regulations (IRR) for the law. Camarines Sur Rep. Luis Raymund Villafuerte, one of the principal authors of the law, said this undue delay has set back government efforts to cut

red tape and improve the Philippi nes’s compet it iveness i n attracting investors. Villafuerte made a statement following the supposed admission by Arta Officer in Charge Ernesto Perez that the agency resubmitted

90

The number of working days that the DTI and Arta are mandated to release the IRR of the Ease of Doing Business Act. The IRR’s release was due in October 2018 a new set of IRR to Malacañang in January because the original one they submitted four months ago still needed “revisions.” According to Villafuerte, the IRR of the law should have been released in October last year. See “EODB’s IRR,” A2

By Rea Cu

HE Bureau of Customs (BOC) hailed at the weekend the action plans of a number of its stakeholders in resolving the issues on thousands of empty containers that have caused port congestion, posing serious logistics problems and impacting trade and commerce. The BOC was referring to the agreement forged by the Association of International Shipping Lines (AISL) with three organizations, and before that, the Asian Terminals Inc. (ATI) with five international shipping lines. BOC Spokesman Atty. Erastus Sandino B. Austria said the bureau welcomes the action plan of the AISL, Container Depot Association of the Philippines (CDAP), Association of Concerned Truckers and Operators Organization (ACTOO) and International Container Terminal Services Inc. (ICTSI) to help address the empty container returns issue of the logistics industry. The ICTSI operates the Manila International Container Terminal (MICT) in Manila and nine other Philippine ports, while ATI is the port operator at South Harbor and

two other ports, as well as two offdock yards. “We fully support this. This is one of the multipronged approaches the BOC has encouraged, led or participated in to address the problem,” Austria told the BusinessMirror in a text message. Customs Commissioner Rey Leonardo B. Guerrero also told the BusinessMirror in a text message that the BOC appreciates the initiatives being taken by its stakeholders in helping address the challenges faced by the logistics industry. “BOC was part of the group that developed options on how to solve port congestion. We appreciate initiatives by key stakeholders to help solve the problem,” Guerrero said. It was earlier reported that the high inventory of empty containers seen in container yards and ports was hampering normal truck cycles, and in turn adversely impacting local port-efficiency levels.

PESO EXCHANGE RATES n US 52.0560

See “BOC,” A8

BUSINESS NEWS SOURCE OF THE YEAR

Farmers’ dismay over rice trade lib law may lead to lawsuits–report By Jasper Emmanuel Y. Arcalas @jearcalas

T

HE Foreign Agricultural Service in Manila of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA-FAS) said the Philippine government may face lawsuits over the rice trade liberalization law as opposition against the measure grows. In a Global Agricultural Information Network (GAIN) report, USDA-FAS Manila noted that Republic Act (RA) 11203 would “likely face legal challenges in the form of lawsuits in the near future” as some rice industry stakeholders are “dismayed” over the measure. RA 11203 liberalized the country’s rice trade, including the removal of the quantitative restriction on imports, and also deregulated the National Food Authority, leaving it as a buffer-stocking agency for emergencies.

“The rice tariffication law has also been met by strong opposition from some sectors, with legal challenges in the form of lawsuits likely in the near future,” the GAIN report, which was published recently, read. The report also agreed with farmers that the country’s rice imports will increase, particularly from Asean member-states, after Manila liberalized rice trade. The USDA earlier projected that Philippine rice imports this year could reach 2.3 million metric tons (MMT), driven by stronger appetite from traders as they anticipate the full liberalization of the industry. This would be the second consecutive year that the Philippines will import over 2 MMT of rice, as purchases from abroad last year were also estimated at 2.3 MMT, according to the USDA. See “Rice trade,” A2

January inflation hits Bottom 30% By Cai U. Ordinario @caiordinario

T

“BOC was part of the group that developed options on how to solve port congestion. We appreciate initiatives by key stakeholders to help solve the problem.”— Guerrero

@ReaCuBM

2017 EJAP JOURNALISM AWARDS

P25.00 nationwide | 5 sections 26 pages | 7 DAYS A WEEK

BOC backs initiatives by port stakeholders on empty containers

T

See “Espenilla,” A2

port for the call of senatorial candidate and Ilocos Norte Gov. Imee Marcos to halt the importation of meat beyond the country’s WTO commitment. According to So, domestic chicken production is at a 98-percent sufficiency with 1.3 billion kilos, while pork production is at 96-percent sufficiency at 1.8 billion kilos.

HE poorest Filipinos continued to suffer from high commodity prices as inflation for the Bottom 30 percent of households nationwide stood at 5.9 percent in January 2019, according to the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA). In its latest report, the PSA said inflation in January 2019 was higher than the 4.7 percent posted in January 2018. However, it was significantly slower than the 7.2 percent posted in December. The increase in food prices experienced by the poorest increased 5.8 percent in January from the 4.8 percent in January 2018. “Its [food index] annual rate was recorded at 7.1 percent in the previous month and 4.8 percent in January 2018,” the PSA said. “The index of corn exhibited an annual decline of 0.7 percent during the month. Moreover, all the other food groups registered slower annual growth in January 2019.” Inflation experienced by the poorest households nationwide mirrored the rate experienced in Areas Outside the National Capital Region (AONCR), which was also at 5.9 percent.

See “Overimportation,” A2

See “Inflation,” A2

HAPPY WALK Some 6,000 people—families, school officials and workers, supporters, advocates and SM employees—celebrated the triumphant life stories of people with Down syndrome and their families at the 17th Happy Walk for Down Syndrome at the SMX Convention Center on Sunday (February 24, 2019). Happy Walk celebrates the National Syndrome Consciousness Month, an annual activity that promotes awareness, acceptance and inclusivity of persons with Down syndrome. The event was graced by Ambassador-Designate for the Royal Thai Embassy H.E.Vasin Ruangprateepsaeng; SM Prime Holdings Executive Committee Chairman Hans Sy; and US Ambassador to the Philippines H.E. Sung Kim with his wife. NONIE REYES

Pork, chicken overimportation slammed

I

MPORTED meat flooded the domestic market last year by more than 300 million kilos for pork and 270 million kilos for chicken, respectively, way above the minimum access volume set by the World Trade Organization. While this brought down meat prices sold in local markets, the oversupply imperiled backyard hog and chicken raisers who stand to

lose their livelihood if the overimportation continues, according to Abono Party-list and the Samahang Industriya ng Agrikultura Chairman Rosendo So. “The truth of the matter is, our domestic production can sustain the local demand. The gap that needs to be addressed through importation is very minimal,” So said. The group also reiterated its sup-

n JAPAN 0.4703 n UK 67.8706 n HK 6.6342 n CHINA 7.7467 n SINGAPORE 38.4546 n AUSTRALIA 36.9546 n EU 59.0419 n SAUDI ARABIA 13.8816

Source: BSP (22 February 2019 )


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.
BusinessMirror February 25, 2019 by BusinessMirror - Issuu