DEPARTMENT OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
PHILIPPINE STATISTICS AUTHORITY
2018 BANTOG DATA MEDIA AWARDS CHAMPION
BusinessMirror
www.businessmirror.com.ph
A broader look at today’s business n
Sunday, February 17, 2019 Vol. 14 No. 130
FACELESS
2018 EJAP JOURNALISM AWARDS
BUSINESS NEWS SOURCE OF THE YEAR
P25.00 nationwide | 2 sections 20 pages | 7 DAYS A WEEK
Undercover spy exposed in NYC was 1 of many
BUT LETHAL
Jolo blasts, May polls prompt law enforcers to tighten security around crowded spots across the country LAWYER Alaa Mahajna poses for a photo on Mount Scopus, overlooking Jerusalem, on February 9, 2019. Mahajna was one of at least half a dozen people targeted by a mysterious group of undercover operatives over the past couple of months. All of them have crossed paths, in some way, with the NSO Group, a spyware maker that Mahajna is suing in Israeli court. AP/RAPHAEL SATTER
L
By Raphael Satter | AP Cybersecurity Writer
ONDON—When mysterious operatives lured two cyber-security researchers to meetings at luxury hotels over the past two months, it was an apparent bid to discredit their research about an Israeli company that makes smartphone hacking technology used by some governments to spy on their citizens. The Associated Press has now learned of similar undercover efforts targeting at least four other individuals who have raised questions about the use of the Israeli firm’s spyware.
DIRECTOR General Oscar Albayalde, chief of the Philippine National Police, points to the diagram during a news conference on February 4, 2019, at Camp Crame in Quezon City, to announce that five suspected Abu Sayyaf militants wanted for alleged involvement in the bombing of a church in southern Philippines have surrendered to authorities. Albayalde said the five will be charged with murder for their role in the January 27 bombing of a Roman Catholic cathedral in Sulu province’s Jolo town that killed 23 people and wounded about 100. The police say the suspects escorted the two suicide bombers around Jolo and to a meeting with the Abu Sayyaf commander accused of funding the attack. The police have said the two suicide bombers were Indonesians. PHILIPPINE NATIONAL POLICE VIA AP
P
By Rene Acosta
OLICE and military officials are urging Filipinos to extend their patience and maintain their equanimity, as law-enforcement agencies implement stricter security measures around the country, particularly among so-called places of convergence, or in areas where people tend to gather in large volumes.
A SOLDIER is seen inside a Roman Catholic cathedral in Jolo after two bombs exploded on January 27, 2019. WESMINCOM ARMED FORCES OF THE PHILIPPINES VIA AP
PESO EXCHANGE RATES n US 52.2630
The tighter security, law enforcers say, was prompted by the election season and the threat of terrorism, exemplified by the recent twin bombings in Sulu late last month that killed 23 people and wounded 95 others. The incident at the Metro Rail Transit 3’s (MRT 3) Mandaluyong Station last week, where a lady Chinese fashion student splashed soya drink on a policeman who barred her from boarding the train because of the liquid she was carrying, characterized the level of security in the capital— and the kind of anxiety that it has spawned among people. But National Capital Region Police Office chief Director Guillermo Eleazar, who had earlier put police forces in Metro Manila under red alert in the aftermath of the bombings, said proactive measures are needed to deal with any security threat. “I am asking for the cooperation and understanding of the public on the [security] measures that we are implementing and for the enforcers that implement them, be they policemen or other law-enforcement agencies,” said Eleazar. “The point here is we are taking this for the whole good of Filipinos,” he added. The tightened security at the MRT 3 and the rest of the Metro’s commuter railway facilities, and even in other areas of public convergence, had been prompted by a bomb threat, which, although com-
mon even in other areas as noted by National Police (PNP) chief Director General Oscar Albayalde, cannot be ignored. “Well, bomb threats are all over, but this bomb threat is not being taken for granted. All bomb threats, whether they are jokes or prank calls, we will respond to them,” he said. Officials said if bombers were able to sneak in the improvised explosive device that blasted a place of worship like the Jolo Cathedral, then there is a greater chance it can be done on a softer target unless measures are taken. Eleazar said the election campaign period and the threat of terrorism prompted them to double security in Metro Manila, a measure that has also been taken by security forces around the country. “The National Capital Region Police Office has more than 14,000 personnel deployed in Metro Manila. As the campaign starts…the next three months are going to be critical, top candidates will be active in all areas of Metro Manila as they start wooing the voters,” he said. “The start of the campaign period also triggers strict additional rules and regulations set by the Comelec [Commission on Elections],” he added, referring to the conduct of checkpoints and implementation of gun ban in the areas of peace and order and security. The regulations also include the campaign against threat Continued on A2
The four others targeted by operatives include three lawyers involved in related lawsuits in Israel and Cyprus alleging that the company, the NSO Group, sold its spyware to governments with questionable human-rights records. The fourth is a London-based journalist who has covered the litigation. Two of them—the journalist and a Cyprus-based lawyer—were secretly recorded meeting the undercover operatives; footage of them was broadcast on Israeli television just as the AP was preparing to publish this story. All six of the people who were targeted said they believe the operatives were part of a coordinated effort to discredit them. “There’s somebody who’s really interested in sabotaging the case,” said one of the targets, Mazen Masri, who teaches at City University, London, and is advising the plaintiffs’ attorney in the case in Israel. Masri said the operatives were “looking for dirt and irrelevant information about people involved.” The details of these covert efforts offer a glimpse into the sometimes shadowy world of private investigators, which includes some operatives who go beyond gathering information and instead act as provocateurs. The targets told the AP that the covert agents tried to goad them into making racist and antiIsrael remarks or revealing sensitive information about their work in connection with the lawsuits. NSO has previously said it has nothing to do with the undercover efforts “either directly or indirectly.” It did not return repeated messages asking about the new targets identified by the AP. American private equity firm Francisco Partners, which owns NSO, did not return a message from the AP seeking comment. The undercover operatives’ activities might never have been
made public had it not been for two researchers who work at Citizen Lab, an Internet watchdog group that is based out of the University of Toronto’s Munk School. In December, one of the researchers, John Scott-Railton, realized that a colleague had been tricked into meeting an operative at a Toronto hotel, then questioned about his work on NSO. When a second operative calling himself Michel Lambert approached ScottRailton to arrange a similar meeting at the Peninsula Hotel in New York, Scott-Railton devised a sting operation, inviting AP journalists to interrupt the lunch and videotape the encounter. The story drew wide attention in Israel. Within days, Israeli investigative television show Uvda and The New York Times identified Lambert as Aharon Almog-Assouline, a former Israeli security official living in the plush Tel Aviv suburb of Ramat Hasharon. By then, Scott-Railton and the AP had determined the undercover efforts went well beyond Citizen Lab. Within hours of the story’s publication, Masri wrote to the AP to say that he and Alaa Mahajna, who is pursuing the lawsuit against NSO in Israel, had spent weeks parrying offers from two wealthysounding executives who had contacted them with lucrative offers of work and insistent requests to meet in London. “We were on our guard and did not take the bait,” Masri wrote. Masri’s revelation prompted a flurry of messages to others tied to litigation involving NSO. Masri and Scott-Railton say they discovered that Christiana Markou, a lawyer representing plaintiffs in a related lawsuit against NSOaffiliated companies in Cyprus, had been flown to London for a strange meeting with someone Continued on A2
n JAPAN 0.4729 n UK 66.8653 n HK 6.6601 n CHINA 7.7177 n SINGAPORE 38.4909 n AUSTRALIA 37.1015 n EU 59.0206 n SAUDI ARABIA 13.9360
Source: BSP (February 15, 2019 )