D.O.T. RETAINS FOREIGN VISITORS GOAL BUT LIKELY TO ADJUST LOCAL TOURISM FIGURES AMID UPSWING By Ma. Stella F. Arnaldo
T
@akosistellaBM Special to the BusinessMirror
PHOTO COURTESY OF DOT
HE Department of Tourism (DOT) is retaining its foreign tourist targets, after all. Tourism Secretary Bernadette Romulo Puyat confirmed this after MalacaĂąang on Friday announced that the government is targeting the arrival of some 8.2 million foreign visitors this year. Last year some 7.1 million foreigners visited the country. In a Viber exchange with the BusinessMirror, the DOT chief said the
DEPT. OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
PHILIPPINE STATISTICS AUTHORITY
2018 BANTOG DATA MEDIA AWARDS CHAMPION
targets for foreign visitor arrivals will be âretainedâ for 2019 to 2022, as originally stated in the National Tourism Development Plan (NTDP) of 2016-2022. Earlier, she had said the arrivals goals would likely be scaled down in anticipation of missing the 7.4-millon target in 2018, due to the closure of Boracay Island. (See, âBoracay closure prompts DOT to rework tourism goals,â in the BusinessMirror, December 3, 2018.) Under the NTDP, the DOT is eyeing the arrival of 12 million foreign tourists by 2020, the end of President Duterteâs term. The NTDP is currently undergoing review and the DOT recently met with
private tourism stakeholders to consult with them on possible revisions in the master plan. But Romulo Puyat added that the targets for domestic travelers will definitely be revised. âWe havenât discussed it yet. But we have to [revise these numbers] because weâve already exceeded our targets,â she stressed. Under the NTDP, the DOT has targeted domestic travelers to reach 89.2 million by 2022, from 76.3 million in 2018. But as of November 2018, domestic travelers were already at 97 million. One of the major reasons the DOT is retaining its foreign visitors goals, she
BusinessMirror A broader look at todayâs business
www.businessmirror.com.ph
n
Tuesday, February 12, 2019 Vol. 14 No. 125
By Bianca Cuaresma
@BcuaresmaBM
OREIGN direct investments (FDI) to the Philippines declined in the first 11 months of 2018 due to a substantial decline in investments in equity capital during the period, the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) reported on Monday.
FDI is the type of investment that is often more coveted, as it stays longer in the economy and creates job opportunities for locals. It is also not easily pulled out of the market unlike its shorterterm counterpart, the foreign
portfolio investments. FDI to the Philippines dropped 3.2 percent in the January-to-November period last year compared to the invesments made in the same 11-month period in 2017. FDI registered $9.1-billion net inflows
in January to November 2018, from the $9.4 billion seen in the previous year. This was traced to the 28.3-percent decline in net investments of equity capital during the period. The drop in net investments of
equity capital came largely from investors outside Asia, with investors from New Zealand and Australia posting a 12,246-percent drop in investments during the period resulting to a net outflow of $148.14 million during the period. Investments from players in Europe also declined during the period by 79.86 percent, while North Americaâcomprising the United States and Canadaâposted a 71.42-percent decline in equity capital investments. Central Americaâs equity capital investments also declined 4.4 percent during the period. The exodus from the country of long-term equity capital investments of Western countries could have been more damaging to the Philippinesâs overall net FDI numbers, if not for the investments
placed by Asian players. Those dubbed Asiaâs Newly Industrialized Economies (ANIEs) âSouth Korea, Hong Kong and Taiwanâposted the largest growth in their equity capital placements to the Philippines during the period, growing by 136.24 percent. The rest of Asia followed with a 91.78-percent growth during the period. The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean), meanwhile, also posted growth during the period, jumping by 72.27 percent from the previous yearâs level of investments. The top five country investors for the period were also mostly Asian: Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan, China and the United States. Equ it y capit a l pl acements See âFDI,â A2
Gordon bill proposes revised tax regime for Clark and Subic By Butch Fernandez @butchfBM
EN. Richard Gordon on Monday moved to update the 27-year-old law that transformed the former Clark Air Base and Subic Naval Base into economic zones following the expiration of US bases treaty in 1991. Looking to revitalize the special economic zones in Subic and Clark, Gordon filed Senate Bill 2207 expanding the territories of the Subic Special Economic Zone and the Clark Special Economic Zone, increasing their powers and revising the allocation of income on taxes earned. The senator added the remedial legislation will also âentail creation of a new tax regimeâ for the two economic zones, to be finalized in the upcoming plenary deliberations on the bill. In sponsoring the enabling measure, Gordon projects that early enactment into law of the remedial legislation amending the Bases Conversion and Development Authority (BCDA) will ârevitalize and spread the blessings of the Subic experience to neighboring communities who are willing to share the same culture
of hard work, the same vision of prosperity and development, and the same willingness to work hard to make it happen.â Moreover, he added that the proposed amendment,likewise, aims to âfurther strengthen Subicâs equally successful neighbor, Clark Special Economic Zone, by expanding its scope and fine-tuning policies that will further its growth.â Endorsed for early enactment under Committee Report 653, Senate Bill 2207, once passed into law, shall be known as âAn Act Revitalizing The Bases Conversion Development, Amending For The Purpose Republic Act No. 7227, Otherwise Known As The âBases Conversion And Development Act of 1992,â As Amended.â Soon after its enactment, the proposed law provides that Subic Special Economic Zone will be developed into a âself-sustaining industrial, commercial, financial and investment center to generate employment opportunities in and around the zone, and to attract and promote not only productive foreign investments, but domestic investments, as well.â In addition, Gordonâs bill will also expand the Subic Special See âGordon,â A2
PESO EXCHANGE RATES n US 52.1610
2017 EJAP JOURNALISM AWARDS
BUSINESS NEWS SOURCE OF THE YEAR
P25.00 nationwide | 4 sections 20 pages | 7 DAYS A WEEK
11-month FDI down on drop in equity capital investments F
S
Continued on A2
UNIFORMED MENâS DISCOUNT The Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board and the Department of Transportation have signed a memorandum of agreement with bus companies for the grant of a 20-percent discount to all men and women in uniform riding public utility buses. In photo, LTFRB Chairman Atty. Martin B. Delgra III (left) and Mark Richmund M. de Leon, OIC-assistant secretary for Road Transport Infrastructure of the DOTr, show the copy of the MOA at the signing ceremony in Quezon City on February 11. NONOY LACZA
Congress can defeat vetoed budget items, says Diokno â§75 billion The alleged âinsertionâ to the budget of the Department of Public Works and Highways, which Diokno said was part of the âfinal adjustmentsâ in their commitment to disburse the equivalent of 5 percent of GDP for infrastructure spending By Bernadette D. Nicolas @BNicolasBM
B
UDGET Secretary Benjamin E. Diokno on Monday debunked accusations that he is in cahoots with Cabinet Secretary Karlo Alexei B. Nograles to make President Duterte veto the General Appropriations Bill to restore the P75 billion he allegedly inserted. Calling the allegations of House Appropriations Commitee Chairman Rep. Rolando G. Andaya Jr. âbaseless,â âprematureâ and âirresponsible,â Diokno said they have yet to receive the enrolled copy of the budget bill, which was ratified by both Houses of Congress on Friday after a twomonth delay. âOur job is to provide the President the facts and options so he can exercise his constitutional duty to act on the budget bill once it arrives on his desk, including the option to exercise his line-item veto power,â he said in a statement. While Diokno said that Congress has the authority to override the Presidentâs veto with two-thirds vote, he also thinks it is âirresponsible for a legislator to threaten the President with a suit in the exercise of his power to line-item veto some objectionable amendments made by Congress.â Andaya on Sunday said he will Continued on A2
Solons alarmed by 22 Manila Bay reclamation projects By Jovee Marie N. dela Cruz
A
@joveemarie
T least 22 proposed reclamation projects in Manila Bay are awaiting the Department of Environment and Natural Resourcesâs (DENR) approval, the Philippine Reclamation Authority (PRA) on Monday said, sparking alarm from lawmakers
that the bayâs rehabilitation might be for naught. During the hearing of the House Committee on Metro Manila Development, PRA Assistant General Manager Joselito Gonzales said the 22 reclamation projects cover a 20,000-hectare pipeline. â They [reclamation project proponents] have complied with
all the mandatory requirements,â Gonzales told lawmakers. All 22 reclamation projects will cover at least 10 percent of the 199,000-hectare Manila Bayâ stretching from Cavite to Navotas. According to Gonzales, the implementation of the projects will be gradual. Party-list Rep. Ariel Casilaoof Anakpawis said this confirmation
from the PR A is a threat to the genuine rehabilitation of Manila Bay. âThis must be stopped, as it is threatening the genuine essence of the Manila Bay cleanup. The reclamation should be opposed,â the lawmaker added. Last week the Makabayan bloc filed House Bill 9067 declaring See âManila Bay,â A2
n JAPAN 0.4755 n UK 67.5433 n HK 6.6475 n CHINA 7.7459 n SINGAPORE 38.4668 n AUSTRALIA 36.9665 n EU 59.0619 n SAUDI ARABIA 13.9103
Source: BSP (11 February 2019 )