BusinessMirror February 07, 2020

Page 1

nCoV FALLOUT: CHINESE BUYERS HALT ORDERS FOR PHL BANANAS By Jasper Emmanuel Y. Arcalas @jearcalas

B

ANANA exporters may soon feel the pinch of the slowdown in China’s economic activity due to the outbreak of the 2019 novel coronavirus (nCoV), as Chinese buyers have stopped ordering Philippine bananas. Pilipino Banana Growers and Exporters Association (PBGEA) Executive Directotr Stephen A. Antig told the BusinessMirror that Chinese buyers have started canceling orders

Motoring » E1

Isuzu turns over the 3rd batch of modernIzed Puvs to Pasang masda

ROTARY CLUB OF MANILA JOURNALISM AWARDS

2006 National Newspaper of the Year 2011 National Newspaper of the Year 2013 Business Newspaper of the Year 2017 Business Newspaper of the Year 2019 Business Newspaper of the Year

last week. This could cause the industry to lose an estimated $5.5 million a week. Worse, some banana exporters have received notice from some Chinese importers that they will stop buying Philippine bananas and did not indicate when they will resume ordering from local traders, Antig said. He also said exporters who wish to ship bananas to China are having a difficult time finding a vessel that can transport the orders. The cancellation of orders stemmed from the lockdown of cities in China to control the spread of the virus, which

has killed 563 and infected 28,000 people, according to international reports. Antig said supermarkets have started reducing their orders as the supply will not reach them due to the lockdown. “The big buyers from China have already sent notice to suppliers that they will either reduce or totally stop the purchase of bananas for a certain period of time. And they did not say how long this will be,” he said in a phone interview. See “Bananas,” A2

BusinessMirror

www.businessmirror.com.ph

n

Friday, February 7, 2020 Vol. 15 No. 120

T

URBULENT events that threaten the economy—eruption of Taal Volcano, outbreak of the 2019 novel coronavirus (nCoV), and lingering geopolitical tensions— have prompted the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) to cut rates to help the country weather economic headwinds.

Lifestyle diseases still top killers–PSA By Cai U. Ordinario caiordinario

D

ESPITE the implementation of policy interventions, such as the hike in the taxes of alcoholic beverages and cigarettes, the latest data from the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) revealed that lifestyle diseases remained the top killers of Filipinos in 2018. PSA data released on Thursday showed a 2-percent increase in the number of Filipinos who died in 2018. A total of 590,709 deaths were registered in 2018, higher than the 579,237 recorded in 2017. The list showed that Ischaemic heart diseases, Neoplasms, and Cerebrovascular diseases (including stroke and aneurysm) were the top 3 causes of death in 2018. These are known noncommunicable diseases (NCDs) which are linked to the consumption of “sin” products—alcohol and cigarettes. “ The number of deaths from 2009 to 2018 showed an increasing trend except in the year 2017. The increase during the 10 -year p e r io d i s 2 2 . 9 p e rc e nt , f rom 480,820 in 2009 to 590,709 in 2018,” the PSA said. See “PSA,” A2

PESO EXCHANGE RATES

3.25 percent, respectively. The decision, according to Diokno, is a “preemptive” move to “support market confidence.” Diokno said the Monetary Board noted that prospects for global economic have weakened further due to geopolitical tensions. “[Also,] there continues to be the burden on the economy posed by the ongoing Taa l Volcano

3.75%

The new interest rate on RRP after Monetary Board delivered another 25-basis-point cut

eruption and the aftermath of Typhoon Tisoy,” he added. The Monetary Board also noted that the spread of nCoV would have an adverse impact on economic activity and market sentiment in the coming months. “W hile recent demand indicators still point to a firm outlook for the domestic economy, the Monetar y Board believes that a polic y rate cut wou ld See “Rate cut,” A2

A GUARD at a Philippine Offshore Gaming Operator (Pogo) office checks the temperature of Chinese workers before they enter the building as part of precautions against the spread of the 2019 novel coronavirus. The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) has given employers guidelines on how to protect employees from the 2019-nCoV. NONIE REYES

T

DEPARTMENT OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY

2018 BANTOG MEDIA AWARDS PHILIPPINE STATISTICS AUTHORITY

DATA CHAMPION

P25.00 nationwide | 5 sections 44 pages | 7 DAYS A WEEK

CORONAVIRUS IMPACT ON PHL ECONOMY: LOWER GROWTH, TAMER INFLATION–DIOKNO

B

ANGKO Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) Governor Benjamin Diokno on Thursday said the 2019 novel coronavirus (2019nCoV) may cut the country’s growth numbers by about a third of a percentage point, but will also push down inflationary pressures down the line. Diokno confirmed that the preliminary assessment done by the country’s central monetary authority showed the 2019-nCoV could shave off 0.3 percentage points from the country’s growth this year. Asked on the drivers behind the forecast, Diokno said: “Tourism is a large part but not limited to it.” China was the second top country source for tourists to the Philippines in 2019, after South Korea. In the first 11 months of

T

of Economics and Ateneo Center for Economic Research and Development (ACERD) that it is time to make the necessary changes. Mapa said the revision will include changing the definition of the poverty threshold and revising the menu of basic items used to compute whether a person is poor or not. “It depends on the menu and how it will be changed, as well as the price. But definitely, if you change

prices, the threshold will really increase because it will adjust,” he said. “But on the question earlier of whether the items will be changed, first we have to look at the new data from the National Nutrition Survey [NNS] and then identify whether this menu is still being consumed at the provincial level. We need to prioritize research to obtain the data from the ground,” he added. See “Poverty,” A2

2019, Chinese tourists to the Philippines were recorded at around 1.6 million. The government forecasts growth to hit 6.5 to 7.5 percent on average for 2020. Just recently, global think tanks and credit watchers weighed in on the effect of the virus outbreak on the regional economy. In separate assessment pieces, Fitch Solutions—the research arm of Fitch Group, Moody’s Analytics—the research arm of Moody’s Group and S&P Global ratings all agree that some sort of contagion from the virus will shave off growth percentage points in the Asia-Pacific region. Aside from growth effects, Diokno also said the 2019-nCoV will likely have an impact on the See “Diokno,” A8

MILE LONG PROPERTY TO FUND MILITARY, POLICE PENSION–A.O. By Samuel P. Medenilla

PSA eyes changes in computing poverty level HE Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) said it is seeking to amend the methodology for computing the poverty threshold, which could result in an increase in the amount needed by individuals to stay out of poverty. National Statistician and Civil Registrar Claire Dennis S. Mapa told reporters at the sidelines of a seminar on poverty organized by the Ateneo de Manila University Department

BUSINESS NEWS SOURCE OF THE YEAR

A broader look at today’s business

BSP: Rate cut to insulate economy from headwinds

In the first meeting of the Monetary Board for the year, BSP Governor Benjamin E. Diokno announced that they have decided to cut the interest rate on the BSP’s overnight reverse repurchase (RRP) facility by 25 basis points to 3.75 percent. The interest rates on the overnight lending and deposit facilities were reduced to 4.25 percent and

2018 EJAP JOURNALISM AWARDS

@sam_medenilla

HE government on Thursday said the pension of the military and uniformed personnel will come from the revenues of the 2-hectare Mile Long property in Makati City. President Duterte issued Administrative Order (AO) 21, which gave the go-ahead to the Privatization and Management Office (PMO) to enter into an agreement with the Bases Conversion and Development Authority (BCDA) for the redevelopment of Mile Long. The PMO is tasked to manage the 2-hectare parcel of land in the Makati Central Business District. The BCDA was tasked to “administer, manage and redevelop the Mile Long property prior to eventual disposition.” “The development of the Mile Long property, considering its location in one of the country’s premier business districts, will greatly contribute to the generation of revenues for priority programs of the government, including among others, the pension program of military and uniformed personnel,” Duterte said in the twopage AO signed on January 29. He said revenue from the property will also be used to fund other priority programs of the government, as recommended by the Department of Budget and Management (DBM). A technical working group (TWG) with representatives from the Department of Finance (DOF), DBM, Bureau of the Treasury, PMO and

BCDA will formulate the redevelopment and privatization plan for the Mile Long property. Finance Secretary Carlos G. Dominguez III said on Thursday they will abide by the President’s order to redevelop Mile Long property. “We are ready to implement the instructions of the President to redevelop the Mile Long property. The TWG will be convened next week to finalize the plans & timetable for this project,” Dominguez said in a Viber message to reporters. Last year, the DOF said the government plans to redevelop the property owned by the national government into a mixed-use, high-rise area. It said some portion of the property will also be sold to the private sector. The property was previously leased to Sunvar Realty Development Corp. of the Prieto family for 35 years before it was ordered by the court to vacate the property. Sunvar insisted its lease contract for the property was above board and should have been honored by the government until its supposed expiration in 2027. It became the subject of a court case after the Solicitor General accused Sunvar of owing the government P1.66 billion worth of rentals for the property. Duterte became vocal about his opposition to Sunvar’s lease of the Mile Long property in 2017 and accused the firm of failing to pay the necessary fees for it. At that time, the President said he will sell the property so he could use the proceeds to build houses for uniformed personnel.

n US 50.8410 n JAPAN 0.4630 n UK 66.1136 n HK 6.5499 n CHINA 7.2887 n SINGAPORE 36.8093 n AUSTRALIA 34.2923 n EU 55.9302 n SAUDI ARABIA 13.5525 Source: BSP (6 February 2020 )


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.
BusinessMirror February 07, 2020 by BusinessMirror - Issuu