T-BILLS BEYOND VIRUS FEARS By Bernadette D. Nicolas @BNicolasBM
I
NVESTORS are apparently unfazed by the spread of the 2019 novel coronavirus (nCoV) as the Bureau of Treasury (BTr) decided to fully award the P20 billion worth of Treasury bills (T-bills) at Monday’s auction amid strong market demand. The auction was oversubscribed with total bids reaching P49.3 billion, nearly 2.5 times the P20-billion offering. National Treasurer Rosalia V. de Leon told reporters that they were pleased with the auction results, pointing out that the average auction rates for the 91-day and 182-day securities dipped despite higher median estimate for January headline inflation expectations by analysts. “So we made a full award for all tenors, and
TOP view of stranded passengers at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport on Monday, affected by the travel ban imposed by the Philippine government on all foreigners flying in from China, Hong Kong and Macau. The ban, imposed Sunday, is part of measures to stop the spread of nCoV. NONIE REYES
ROTARY CLUB OF MANILA JOURNALISM AWARDS
2006 National Newspaper of the Year 2011 National Newspaper of the Year 2013 Business Newspaper of the Year 2017 Business Newspaper of the Year 2019 Business Newspaper of the Year
also you saw that the rates moved sideways for the one-year and for the [91-day] and [182-day securities] we see a reduction in the rates. And also, we’ve seen very strong liquidity on the onshore market, following the two to three times offer than the [initial volume offered by the Treasury,” de Leon said. “We have a very good auction for today, given the preference now of investors moving at the short of the tenor despite higher inflation median coming from analysts’ expectations, 2.7 [percent] against 2.5 [percent] last December, so we are very satisfied with the results of the auction today.” The 91-day security worth P6 billion fetched an average auction rate of 3.187 percent, a drop by 11 basis points from previous average auction rate of 3.297 p e rce nt. Bids for the security reached P20.947 billion.
In terms of the 182-day T-bill, the average auction rate dropped by 7.4 basis points to 3.523 percent, from 3.597 percent previously. Total tenders for the security amounted to P15.799 billion, higher than the P6 billion on offer. Meanwhile, tenders for the 364-day security was posted at P12.522 billion. The security, which was P8 billion on offer, was capped at an average auction rate of 3.964 percent, up by 0.1 basis point from the previous average auction rate of 3.963 percent. Asked if the nCoV had an impact on the T-bill auction, she said: “Wala. Kita mo naman volume, mataas pa [None. As you can see, volume remains high]. They are moving at the short end of the curve because their preference right now is for the shorter duration.” See “T-bills,” A2
BusinessMirror n
Tuesday, February 4, 2020 Vol. 15 No. 117
nCoV-sparked ban strands OFWs, foreign travelers By Samuel P. Medenilla
Gas prices cut by ₧1.60, diesel by ₧2
L
OCAL pump prices will go down for the fourth consecutive week. Oil companies said they will roll back gasoline prices by P1.60 per liter, diesel by P2 per liter and kerosene by P2.45 per liter. Pilipinas Shell, Seaoil Philippines, Petro Gazz and Unioil said they would implement the price rollback at 6 a.m. of February 4. Phoenix Petroleum already reduced its pump prices last Saturday. The price of liquefied petroleum gas also went down by P2.20 per kilogram. Likewise, the price of auto LPG was reduced by P1.25 per liter. “These reflect the international contract price of LPG for the month of February,” said Petron Corp. The LPG and auto LPG price rollback took effect last February 1. Last week, gasoline prices went down by P0.30 per liter, diesel by P0.40 per liter and kerosene by P0.35 per liter. Lenie Lectura
PESO EXCHANGE RATES
@sam_medenilla
UNDREDS of overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) and foreign travelers were stranded by the government’s abrupt issuance of a travel ban for China, Hong Kong and Macau during the weekend in its attempt to curb the spread of the 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) within its borders. On Sunday, President Duterte ordered the imposition of an indefinite ban on non-Filipinos coming from the three areas from traveling in the country. Exempted were returning Filipinos and permanent visa holders, but these
BUSINESS NEWS SOURCE OF THE YEAR DEPARTMENT OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
2018 BANTOG MEDIA AWARDS PHILIPPINE STATISTICS AUTHORITY
DATA CHAMPION
A broader look at today’s business
www.businessmirror.com.ph
H
2018 EJAP JOURNALISM AWARDS
were allowed entry on condition of a 14-day quarantine. The order also stopped Filipinos from traveling to China, Hong Kong and Macau. During a media briefing in Malacañang on Monday, Bureau of
Immigration (BI) spokesman Dana Sandoval said they implemented the instructions of Duterte to the letter, effectively stranding at least 300 Chinese nationals, who are on their way home, in local ports nationwide. “Our office is coordinating with the Chinese embassy, and they have pledged to send an aircraft to fetch their citizens who are stranded in the country,” Sandoval said. “Maybe today or in the next few days, we will find out the details of these flights that the Chinese embassy will be arranging,” she added.
Contradicting statements
THE Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) said the order also affected “hundreds of OFWs bound mostly for Hong Kong and Macau” as BI insisted that the ban covers all Filipinos regardless of their visa types. See “OFWs,” A8
P25.00 nationwide | 4 sections 38 pages | 7 DAYS A WEEK
PHL’S SOLE FACE MASK MAKER VOWS TO SUPPLY 2-M PIECES By Elijah Felice E. Rosales @alyasjah
T
HE sole producer of face masks in the Philippines has committed to provide the country about 2 million pieces per month at a time the government is struggling to find supply from overseas with stocks running out globally. Trade Secretary Ramon M. Lopez said his agency was able to secure 100,000 pieces of face mask from Medtecs International Corp. Ltd. to be delivered this week. The Bataan-based firm also vowed to supply 400,000 pieces in the following weeks, bringing domestic sale to around 2 million pieces per month. “Nevertheless, I have personally spoken with the owner of the lone local producer of masks, Medtecs, that is based in Bataan, and they committed to supply the government, through the DTI [Department of Trade and Industry], 100,000 pieces this week and 400,000 pieces per week thereafter,” Lopez told reporters last Sunday night. “ They can commit to supply the Philippines around 2 million pieces per month, until this quantity is needed,” he said. “While they produce on a limited capacity—80,000 pieces per day—Medtecs is now airfreighting more machines to increase their production capacity.”
According to Lopez, Medtecs expressed its commitment to support and prioritize the demand in the Philippines, proof of which was its donation of 500,000 pieces of face mask to victims of the Taal eruption in Januar y distributed through local government units. Medtecs, operating in the Philippines since 1989, has its factories located in the Freeport Area of Bataan in Mariveles. As with locators in any economic zone, Medtecs is mandated by law to export at least 70 percent of its production to qualify for registration and incentives. At a daily output of 80,000 pieces, Medtecs has an estimated monthly production of 1.6 million face masks. As such, it remains to be seen how the manufacturer plans to comply with its word to allocate 2 million pieces per month for domestic consumption. At the same time, it’s also a question how it will fulfill its export requirements. The stocks to be delivered by Medtecs will be utilized for the meantime that the government is scrambling to find supply from abroad.
PITC tapped
LAST week, Lopez instructed the Philippine International Trading Corp. (PITC) to canvass See “Face mask,” A2
SMC vows 24/7 sked to cut Skyway Stage 3 disruption
W UST, 75 YEARS AGO Former Army Sgt. Jose Quilatan (from left), considered, at age 104, as the oldest
Filipino veteran, shares a light moment with Defense Undersecretary Ricardo David Jr.; US Ambassador to the Philippines Sung Yong Kim; and Rev. Fr. Jesus Jay Miranda Jr., University of Santo Tomas secretary-general, during Monday’s 75th Commemoration of the Liberation of the Santo Tomas Internment Camp at the UST in Sampaloc, Manila. UST played a critical role during WWII as the largest internment camp in the Philippines with more than 4,000 civilian internees, mostly Americans, held there from 1942 to 1945. NONIE REYES
HILE the contractor estimates that rebuilding works will take at least eight months, San Miguel Corp. (SMC) believes that working round the clock can reduce the delay of delivering the Skyway Stage 3 to as short as three months, its chief said on Monday. Ramon S. Ang, who sits as president at the food-to-infrastructure firm, said his group has implemented a 24/7 working time to rebuild the collapsed portion of the expressway in the hopes to open it by July, instead of the original launch in April.
“ We a re saddened by t h is unfor t unate incident ma in ly because it will delay a vital infrastructure project that would have alleviated traffic woes of our motorists sooner. But rest assured, we will work 24/7 to endeavor to complete the entire project in five months. This is just a three-month delay from the original opening target,” he said. A portion of the Skyway Stage 3, currently being constructed, collapsed on Sunday, when a fire razed San Miguel Yamamura Packaging Corp.’s Manila Plastic Plant. See “Skyway,” A2
n US 50.8550 n JAPAN 0.4687 n UK 67.0167 n HK 6.5494 n CHINA 7.3312 n SINGAPORE 37.2755 n AUSTRALIA 33.9915 n EU 56.4236 n SAUDI ARABIA 13.5563 Source: BSP (3 February 2020 )