NO ENTRY NOW FOR ALL OF CHINA By Samuel P. Medenilla @sam_medenilla
& Butch Fernandez @butchfBM
A
S health authorities announced the death of the second case of 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) in the country on Sunday, President Duterte ordered a ban on the entry of non-Filipino travelers coming from all of China, which is currently beset by an outbreak of the dreaded, new disease. Last week, the ban only covered the province of Hubei in China, where the 2019-nCoV is said to have originated. Although there have been calls for the Philippines to impose a lockdown for nearly a week, Duterte’s decision on Sunday— announced twice, first by trusted confidante Sen. Christopher Go and later by Executive Secretary
PEOPLE walk past signs outside stores in Manila’s Bambang area, advising people that surgical masks, which flew off shelves within hours after the Philippines confirmed its first 2019-nCoV case, are still out of stock. Tagged as the Philippines’s second confirmed 2019-nCoV case, a 44-year-old Chinese man who arrived from Wuhan via Hong Kong last January 21, 2020, died on Saturday, Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said. NONIE REYES
ROTARY CLUB OF MANILA JOURNALISM AWARDS
2006 National Newspaper of the Year 2011 National Newspaper of the Year 2013 Business Newspaper of the Year 2017 Business Newspaper of the Year 2019 Business Newspaper of the Year
Salvador Medialdea—caught a lot of people by surprise as Malacañang had kept saying it’s unwise to impose a total travel ban. An undetermined number of passengers were shocked as their flights arrived from China, Hong Kong and Macau. The foreign passengers were sent back later in the day while the Filipino citizens and resident visa holders were let in, under a 14-day mandatory quarantine. Medialdea said the temporary ban will cover all nationalities coming from China and its Special Administrative Regions, namely, Hong Kong and Macau, except Filipino citizens and holders of Philippine government-issued Permanent Resident Visa. “For clarity the ban is on the person of any nationality except that of Filipinos particularly specified above, coming directly from the places abovementioned and arriving in the Philippines, and not of any flight,” Medialdea said.
Earlier on Sunday, before Medialdea’s announcement, Go announced in a radio interview that Duterte on Saturday night decided to adopt a temporary, but total, travel ban on all passengers from China, Hong Kong and Macau. The expanded travel ban was affirmed by the interagency task force on the management of communicable diseases, Go said Sunday. Sen. Risa Hontiveros, a staunch government critic, welcomed the expanded ban which came three days after she and Senate President Pro Tempore Ralph Recto, and Sens. Joel Villanueva and Francis Pangilinan aired a similar appeal.
Hearing
MEANWHILE, Go confirmed that the Senate Committee on Health, which he chairs, will hold a See “No entry,” A12
BusinessMirror n
Monday, February 3, 2020 Vol. 15 No. 116
Virus-induced lockdown hurts PHL exports, imports $8.79B By Elijah Felice E. Rosales
Track sectors relying on Chinese labor– Ecop chief
A
S employers place tighter safety protocols to prevent possible infection in the workplace, they are asking authorities to look into industries hosting scores of Chinese workers, particularly Philippine offshore gaming operators (Pogos), for potential cases of the coronavirus. Sergio R. Ortiz-Luis Jr., president of the Employers Confederation of the Philippines, asked the government to closely monitor Chinese workers in the country who made contact with Wuhan, the epicenter of the coronavirus in China. He named Pogos as one industry that should be kept an eye on, along with tourism, manufacturing and construction. “We need to look into firms with Chinese who made contact with Wuhan. If there’s no Chinese interaction, why the need See “Pogo,” A2
PESO EXCHANGE RATES
@alyasjah
S the novel coronavirus outbreak cripples business operations in China, local exporters are being advised to ship to alternative markets for now to make up for the projected purchase slowdown from the country’s largest trading partner. Philippine Exporters Confederation Inc. President Sergio R. Ortiz-Luis Jr. warned that the spread of the coronavirus in China is sure to pull down the country’s trade figures, especially exports. He said the temporary shutdown
BUSINESS NEWS SOURCE OF THE YEAR DEPARTMENT OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
2018 BANTOG MEDIA AWARDS PHILIPPINE STATISTICS AUTHORITY
DATA CHAMPION
A broader look at today’s business
www.businessmirror.com.ph
A
2018 EJAP JOURNALISM AWARDS
of factories there will reduce purchase orders, mostly electronic parts, from manufacturers here. “Our trade [with China] is affected, even with Hong Kong,” Ortiz-Luis told the BusinessMirror. “Our electronics is affected
Exports to China from January to November 2019, improving 6.28 percent from $8.27 billion in the same period in 2018. Over 56 percent of this are shipments of electronic parts, which also grew above 6 percent to $4.95 billion, from $4.66 billion because we import from and export to them. Add to the injury the countries connected to the electronics supply chain of China.” Exports to China from January to November of last year improved See “Exports,” A2
P25.00 nationwide | 5 sections 30 pages | 7 DAYS A WEEK
’19 nCoV TRAVEL BAN COULD SPELL P27-B LOSS FOR TOURISM SECTORS By Ma. Stella F. Arnaldo
Special to the BusinessMirror @akosistellaBM
T
HE country’s tourism and travel industry are projected to lose some at least P27 billion with the temporary travel ban imposed by Malacañang on travelers from China and its special administrative territories, Hong Kong and China. The ban, announced on Sunday before the Department of Health (DOH) reported its first death from the novel coronavirus (nCoV), does not cover, however, Filipino citizens and holders of Permanent Resident Visas issued by the Philippine government. The Tourism Congress of the Philippines, which had been urging for a complete travel ban on China since last week, welcomed the move of Malacañang. In a news statement on Sunday, the group said, “While we realize that this will affect the tourism industry, we also acknowledge that
our country’s safety and health takes precedence over business at this time.” From January to November 2019, tourists from China were the second-largest spenders in the Philippines at $2.14 billion or P109.14 billion. Based on an average spend of $195 million for the 11 months in review, the Philippines is estimated to forgo tourism receipts amounting to $390 million or P19.89 billion for two months, if the ban lasts until March 2020. China was the second top source market for tourists at 1.63 million from January to November 2019. Major local carriers, for their part, are projected to post over P6 billion in losses from the cancellation of their flights to mainland China. Cebu Pacific Air (CEB) Director for Corporate Communications Charo Logarta Lagamon said the “initial estimate is about See “Loss,” A2
CAB tells airlines to heed ban; CEB quarantines crew By Lorenz S. Marasigan @lorenzmarasigan
& Recto L. Mercene @rectomercene
ADOPTED SON, HONORARY MAYOR Alliance Global Group Inc. Chairman Dr.
Andrew L. Tan was named “Adopted Son” and “Honorary Mayor” of Bacolod City in colorful ceremonies of the Bacolaodiat Festival at the Bacolod Government Center on Saturday afternoon. Bacolod City Mayor Evelio Leonardia led the recognition rites together with officials of the Bacolod City Government and the Filipino-Chinese community of the city. CONTRIBUTED PHOTO
T
HE Civil Aeronautics Board (CAB) ordered all airlines operating to and from the Philippines to comply with a travel ban that it issued to help prevent the spread of the nCoV 2019 in the country, following the death of a Chinese national due to the virus on Sunday.
The order reinstates the directive of President Duterte to bar entry of any person—except Filipinos and holders of permanent resident visas—coming from China and its Special Administrative Regions (SAR) or have been to the said areas in the past 14 days. The order also prohibits Filipinos from traveling to China or its SAR, Hong Kong and Macau. “All airlines shall inform the board of any action or modification made in its procedure in rela-
tion to the implementation of the directive,” CAB Executive Director Carmelo Arcilla said. He also mandated the Air Carriers’ Association of the Philippines and the Board of Airline Representatives to assist in the immediate dissemination of the order to their member airlines. Already, Filipino carriers Philippine Airlines, Cebu Pacific and AirAsia Philippines have canceled their flights to and from China, See “CAB,” A2
n US 50.9040 n JAPAN 0.4672 n UK 66.6690 n HK 6.5546 n CHINA 7.3682 n SINGAPORE 37.3882 n AUSTRALIA 34.2024 n EU 56.1675 n SAUDI ARABIA 13.5686 Source: BSP (31 January 2020 )