DEPARTMENT OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
PHILIPPINE STATISTICS AUTHORITY
2018 BANTOG DATA MEDIA AWARDS CHAMPION
BusinessMirror
www.businessmirror.com.ph
A broader look at today’s business n
Sunday, December 30, 2018 Vol. 14 No. 81
2018 EJAP JOURNALISM AWARDS
BUSINESS NEWS SOURCE OF THE YEAR
P25.00 nationwide | 8 pages | 7 DAYS A WEEK
MEMBERS of the Shouwang church pray at their office space in Beijing, on April 6, 2011. Nineteen Chinese pastors signed a petition calling for an investigation into the crackdown on Shouwang, a so-called house church, as well as legal protections for similar churches. THE NEW YORK TIMES
As China cracks down on churches, Christians tell Xi Jinping:
‘WE WILL NOT FORFEIT OUR FAITH’ By Javier C. Hernández
C
New York Times News Service
HENGDU, China—For months, Gu Baoluo had been looking forward to a boisterous Christmas celebration at one of China’s best-known Protestant churches. He loved decorating trees, singing songs like “Silent Night” and watching the annual Christmas pageant recounting the birth of Jesus. But in early December, the police shut down Gu’s usual place of worship, the Early Rain Covenant Church in the southwest city of Chengdu,as part of what activists said is the most severe crackdown on Christianity in more than a de-
cade. The police confiscated Bibles, shuttered a school and seminary run by the well-known church and detained Early Rain’s outspoken pastor on charges of “inciting subversion,” punishable in serious cases by at least five years in prison.
On Christmas Eve, Gu, 31, a rice seller, went to the only safe place to worship that he knew: a friend’s home, where he recited hymns and prayed for the two dozen Early Rain members that are in detention. Fearing that he and his friends might be arrested, Gu used encrypted chat apps to share information about surveillance and harassment by the police. “We will not forfeit our faith because of suppression by the authorities,” Gu said.
‘Unrelenting’ campaign
AS millions around the world gathered to celebrate Christmas, China is capping a year in which the government of President Xi Jinping has led an unrelenting campaign against unofficial churches in China, which by some estimates serve as many as 30 million people. Xi, apparently concerned that
independent worship might pose a threat to the ruling Communist Party’s dominance over daily life in China, has sought to bring Christianity more firmly under the party’s control. The government this year banned online sales of the Bible, burned crosses, demolished churches and forced at least a halfdozen places of worship to close. The campaign comes as Xi, the most powerful Chinese leader since Mao Zedong, has worked to more aggressively control religion across China, including the detention of thousands of Muslims in the western region of Xinjiang. Renee Xia, international director for China Human Rights Defenders, an advocacy group, described the effort as targeting the “heart of the underground Christian resistance.” The government has focused its campaign on unofficial Christian churches that
promote ideas like social justice or have been critical of the party’s grip on society. “The message,” Xia said, “is that Xi can’t be messed with.” The crackdown has escalated in the weeks leading up to Christmas. The police this month shut down the 40-year-old Rongguili Church in the southern Chinese city of Guangzhou, which attracted thousands of worshippers. And in September, the authorities in Beijing ordered the closure of the 1,500-member Zion Church, one of the largest unofficial churches in the capital. The government requires religious groups to register, though many still worship in unofficial churches, sometimes called underground or house churches.
Gone underground
MANY in the party believe Chris-
tianity, which by some estimates is China’s fastest-growing religion, promotes Western values and ideals like human rights that conflict with the aims of China’s authoritarian government and Xi’s embrace of traditional Chinese culture and Confucian teachings that emphasize obedience and order. But the government’s heavyhanded efforts to obliterate several high-profile churches have been met with resistance among Christians. On Christmas Eve, the authorities posted a sign at Early Rain’s former headquarters, saying its 23rd-floor sanctuary had been converted into office space for the local government. Li Shuangde, a teacher in Chengdu who has been part of Early Rain since 2011, said that church members had been asked Continued on A2
MERRYMAKING SANS THE TEARS Govt seeks ‘compromise’ with New Year’s Eve fireworks-use tradition to lessen injuries
T
By Rene Acosta
HE Philippine National Police (PNP) has vowed strict fireworks regulation and control during the New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day revelry, with PNP chief Director General Oscar Albayalde’s order to all police commanders to strictly enforce Executive Order (EO) 28, which prohibits the use of certain types of firecrackers. PESO EXCHANGE RATES n US 52.7240
EMPLOYEES at a backyard fireworks maker in Marilao, Bulacan, churn out Kwitis and Roman candles. The owner of the place said this year is a better time for them because the government limited the entry of imported fireworks. NONIE REYES
As the PNP stepped up its preparations, Albayalde also asked the public to observe President Duterte’s order, the main purpose of which was to minimize, if not totally stop, injuries related to firecracker use, no matter if there are still incidents of injuries reported by the media days ahead of New Year’s Eve. The President issued EO 28 in June last year to regulate the use of firecrackers and pyrotechnic devices and limited it only to community fireworks as a stop-gap measure to reverse the growing number of injuries arising from their use.
What to follow
EO 28 also mandated the PNP to cancel, revoke and confiscate the
inventory or stocks of those found in violation of existing laws, rules and regulations, and called for the strict enforcement of the prohibition on the sale of firecrackers and pyrotechnic devices to Filipinos below 18 years old. Albayalde said police commanders are ordered to make sure that the spirit and intent of Duterte’s order are fully carried out and observed on the ground as the country prepares to welcome the New Year. Banned firecrackers should not be used and those legally allowed for the revelry should only be allowed in areas designated as pyrotechnics’ zone, he said. Continued on A2
n JAPAN 0.4751 n UK 66.7328 n HK 6.7344 n CHINA 7.6773 n SINGAPORE 38.4706 n AUSTRALIA 37.0702 n EU 60.3110 n SAUDI ARABIA 14.0545
Source: BSP (December 28, 2018 )