Businessmirror August 16, 2018

Page 1

media partner of the year

United nations

2015 environmental Media Award leadership award 2008

BusinessMirror

www.businessmirror.com.ph

A broader look at today’s business Thursday, August 16, 2018 Vol. 13 No. 306

n

CTRM nixes reduction of tariffs on food items T By Jasper Emmanuel Y. Arcalas @jearcalas & Elijah Felice E. Rosales @alyasjah

HE Cabinet-level Committee on Tariff and Related Matters (CTRM) on Wednesday decided to thumb down the recommendation of economic managers to reduce import duties on select food items to ease inflation.

In an interview with the BusinessMirror, Trade Secretary Ramon M. Lopez said the CTRM, which held a meeting on Wednesday, advised against the reduction

of tariffs on certain food products as proposed by the Duterte administration’s economists. Economic managers pitched to the President last week the op-

tion of lowering to a uniform 5 percent the tariffs on fish, corn, meat, particularly chicken, and wheat. They made the recommendation after the July inflation

“We do not see tariff [reduction] as a solution to [inflation]. There are other measures that can be done, some from the DA [Department of Agriculture], to boost the volume [and] to be able to bring in more supply to really lower [prices].“—Lopez

rate hit 5.7 percent, the highest in five years. Slashing tariffs on certain food items was seen by economic managers as a way to weather inflation, or the increase in commodity prices, which has been on the uptrend since January.

2016 ejap journalism awards

business news source of the year

P25.00 nationwide | 6 sections 40 pages | 7 days a week

Shared responsibilities will make UN compact on migration work Statement delivered by Susan Ople, president of the Blas F. Ople Policy Center, at The Manila Conference on the Future of Migration: Global Migration Governance, Human Rights, and Sustainable Global Compact on Migration, August 15, 2018, Conrad Hotel, Pasay City.

L

ast night, while reading through the text of the Global Compact on Migration, I kept thinking of the song penned by my favorite Beatle, John Lennon. Imagine no possessions I wonder if you can No need for greed or hunger A brotherhood of man Imagine all the people sharing all the world, You may say I’m a dreamer But I’m not the only one I hope some day you’ll join us And the world will be as one

Continued on A2

Continued on A7

Remittances drop 4.5% in June on weak labor demand House to resume budget

hearings after reaching ‘compromise’ with Palace

By Bianca Cuaresma @BcuaresmaBM

M

ONEY sent home by Filipino migrant workers declined in June, largely on the back of labor issues, particularly in the Middle East, the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) reported on Wednesday. Cash remittances coursed through banks in June declined by 4.5 percent to hit $2.357 billion during the month. The volume of the dollars sent home by overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) in June was $112 million lower than the previous month’s aggregate cash remittances and $110 million short of the remittances in June 2017. The OFWs’ inflows in June brought the total cash remittances for the first half of the year to $14.179 billion, 2.7 percent larger than the $13.813 billion. The government projects remittances to grow by 4 percent on average for the entire 2018. This means that remittances must grow an average of 5.3 percent for the next half of the year to reach the government projection. The BSP said the countries that registered the biggest declines in cash remittances during the month are the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Saudi Arabia and Kuwait. “The overseas Filipino workers’ repatriation program of the government may have partly affected the remittance flows for the month,” BSP Governor Nestor A. Espenilla Jr. said in a statement on Wednesday. During the first two months of 2018, a total of 4,149 OFWs were repatriated from the UAE, Saudi Arabia and Kuwait. See “Remittances,” A8

By Jovee Marie N. dela Cruz

A

Overseas Filipino workers line up inside the Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal 1 in this Businessmirror file photo, before boarding flights to their foreign employers. The Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas reported on Wednesday that money sent home by Filipino migrant workers declined by 4.5 percent in June, largely on the back of labor issues, particularly in the Middle East. NONIE REYES

DOF upbeat on PHL economy in H2 By Rea Cu

T

@ReaCuBM

HE Philippine economy will grow faster in the second half of this year, on the back of larger investment inflows and exports, higher infrastructure expenditures and improved revenue efforts, the Department of Finance (DOF) said on Wednesday. For one thing, the economic

PESO exchange rates n US 53.4510

numbers thus far for the second semester of 2018 remain “very promising” and the year’s anemic secondquarter gross domestic product (GDP) growth of 6.0 percent was a mere “exception that does not indicate a medium-term trend,” Finance Secretary Carlos G. Dominguez III said at the Kapihan sa Manila Bay news conference in Manila. “Domestic demand remains robust. Investment flows grew in the

first half of this year. Our exports of goods and services recovered to a double-digit growth of 13 percent in the second quarter, from 6.5 percent in the previous quarter,” Dominguez said. He said the inflation rate, which reached 5.7 percent in July but eased to 0.5 percent on a monthon-month basis, is expected to go down to the original forecast range See “DOF,” A2

@joveemarie

FTER reaching a “compromise” with the Palace, the leadership of the House of Representatives on Wednesday said the lower chamber will now resume its hearings on the 2019 proposed P3.757-trillion national budget. In a news conference, Majority Leader Rolando Andaya Jr. said the meeting that he and Speaker Gloria Macapagal-A rroyo had with President Duterte and Special Assistant to the President Bong Go last Tuesday has opened “clear lines of communication” following a budget deadlock. “I can suggest to the chairman [of the House Committee on Appropriations Karlo Alexei Nograles] that we now continue the budget hearings. The instruction is clear: over the break, we will resume, likewise, it’s a gesture of cooperation with the DBM [Department of Budget and Management] and the Senate,” he added. Congress is expected to take a break from August 16 to 27. Amid issues on the country’s shift to a cash-based budgeting system, the House Committee on Appropriations had temporarily suspended the deliberations of the 2019 national budget. Legislators crossed party lines

because, they said, the “cash-based budgeting is not feasible, impracticable and inimical to the interests of our constituents.” “The President opened the lines of communication on how the budget for 2019 will come out at the House of Representatives,” Andaya said. With this, the majority leader said the Palace and House of Representatives agreed that the 2019 national budget is a “hybrid” of cash-based and obligation-based budgeting system. “In a sense it’s a hybrid.... It’s not a full-fledged cash-based system,” Andaya said.

Realignment

While he declined to give further details of the agreement with the Palace over the budget, Andaya said the budget cuts in various government agencies will be restored with a possibility of realignment. For 2019, the budget of the Department of Health (DOH) was decreased by P35 billion; Department of Education (DepEd), by P77 billion; and the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH), by P95 billion. There were also P5-billion reductions in the budgets of the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) and the Commission on Elections (Comelec). See “Budget,” A2

n japan 0.4810 n UK 68.0271 n HK 6.8095 n CHINA 7.7661 n singapore 38.7972 n australia 38.7199 n EU 60.6455 n SAUDI arabia 14.2524

Source: BSP (15 August 2018 )


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.