JULY INFLATION SLOWS TO 2.4%–PSA By Cai U. Ordinario @caiordinario
D VEGETABLE vendors in Manila take a noontime break on Tuesday (August 7) before the wet market gets busy again in the afternoon. Reports said July’s 2.4 percent inflation is the slowest since January 2017. It also marks the sixth straight month that it has stayed within government’s 2-4 percent target range. NONIE REYES
ROTARY CLUB OF MANILA JOURNALISM AWARDS
2006 National Newspaper of the Year 2011 National Newspaper of the Year 2013 Business Newspaper of the Year 2017 Business Newspaper of the Year 2019 Business Newspaper of the Year
ESPITE the recent slowdown in inflation, increasing commodity prices ate away P17 for every P100 in the pockets of Filipinos as of July 2019, according to the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA). PSA data showed that on average, inflation weakened the peso’s purchasing power to 0.85 centavos in 2018. This means the high prices last year reduced the purchasing power of the peso (PPP) by P15 for every P100. Inflation slowed to 2.4 percent in July, PSA said. It was the slowest since December 2016, when inflation was at 2.2
percent. Data showed inflation averaged 5.2 percent in 2018. “Prices are still increasing so the value of the peso continues to depreciate,” PSA Price Statistics Division Chief Elena G. Varona told the BusinessMirror at the sidelines of the PSA’s inflation briefing on Tuesday. Varona explained that PPP is computed using the Consumer Price Index (CPI), which is dependent on a base year, while the inflation rate is computed based on year-on-year data relative to a given base year. Socioeconomic Planning Secretary Ernesto M. Pernia said this is why the government is monitoring inflation closely. He gave assurances the government will be vigilant in the face of threats that could
cause inflation to increase. Pernia said adverse weather conditions, the possible entry of the African swine fever and uncertainty in the global oil market remain threats to commodity prices. However, National Statistician Claire Dennis S. Mapa said, “Our expectation is that it will continue to go down or at least stabilize at this level in the coming months.” Factors that contributed to overall inflation were food and nonalcoholic beverages, which contributed 31.6 percent to inflation; housing, water, electricity, gas, and other fuels, 21.1 percent; and restaurant and miscellaneous goods and services, 18 percent, PSA reported on Tuesday. See “Inflation,” A12
BusinessMirror
www.businessmirror.com.ph
A broader look at today’s business Wednesday, August 7, 2019 Vol. 14 No. 301
n
SC imposes ₧2-B fine on MWSS, water firms T
By Joel R. San Juan
@jrsanjuan1573
HE Supreme Court, voting 14-0, has directed the Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System (MWSS) and concessionaires Maynilad Water Services Inc. and Manila Water Co. Inc. to pay a fine amounting to almost P2 billion for violation of the provisions of Republic Act (RA) 9275, or the Philippine Clean Water Act. The unanimous decision penned by Associate Justice Ramon Paul Hernando was reached by the magistrates during their regular en banc session held on Tuesday. MWSS, Maynilad and Manila Water affirmed the Court of Appeals decision which found them liable for violation of Section 8 of
the Philippine Clean Water Act. The said provision requires MWSS and the two concessionaires to provide wastewater treatment facilities and to connect sewage lines in all establishments, including households, to an available sewerage system within five years upon the effectivity of RA 9275 on
March 6, 2004. The Court’s ruling specifically states that “Maynilad shall be jointly and severally liable with the MWSS for a total amount of P921,464,184,” and “Manila Water Co. Inc. shall be jointly and severally liable with MWSS for the same amount.”
16%
The completion rate of private water concessionaires for building sewage facilities, as discovered by the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) in 2009. At that pace, they expected to fully comply with the Clean Water Act only by 2030 The Court said the amount covers the period from May 2009 to date of promulgation. The petitioners are given 15 days upon receipt of the decision to pay the fine. See “MWSS,” A2
Duterte set to invoke 2016 arbitral ruling–Panelo
See “Duterte,” A2
PESO EXCHANGE RATES n
Manila’s historic sites on Tuesday (August 7) as they unveiled plans for a Manila tourism circuit to refocus attention on the interesting spots in the capital city. NONIE REYES
DEPARTMENT OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
2018 BANTOG MEDIA AWARDS PHILIPPINE STATISTICS AUTHORITY
DATA CHAMPION
Enlisting civil society in combating terrorism Teddy Locsin Jr.
FREE FIRE Speech delivered by Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro L. Locsin Jr. at the 20th Asean Plus Three Foreign Ministers’ Meeting held on August 2, 2019, in Bangkok, Thailand
M
R. Chair, on the last day, allow me to express my delegation’s appreciation for the excellent arrangements laid out by our host in the past week. The Kingdom never ceases to amaze us with its warm and gracious hospitality. It felt like a weeklong family gathering—and we know what that can be like just over a weekend. Continued on A10
Education, infra still top spending priorities for ’20
M
MANILA TOURISM Mayor Francisco “Isko” Domagoso takes Tourism Secretary Bernadette Romulo Puyat on a tricycle tour of Intramuros,
BUSINESS NEWS SOURCE OF THE YEAR
P25.00 nationwide | 5 sections 28 pages | 7 DAYS A WEEK
By Bernadette D. Nicolas
H
ALFWAY into his term, President Rodrigo Duterte is set to finally make good on his promise to invoke the 2016 landmark arbitral ruling—which handed the country a victory in its bid to stop China’s “excessive” claims in the West Philippine Sea—when he visits Beijing this end-August. At the same time, the President is also planning to discuss further the 60-40 joint oil exploration deal with Chinese President Xi Jinping, as well as the Recto Bank incident, Presidential Spokesman and Chief Presidential Legal Counsel Salvador S. Panelo said. In a Palace briefing on Tuesday,
2018 EJAP JOURNALISM AWARDS
@BNicolasBM
ALACAÑANG said the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) is targeting to submit the proposed national budget of P4.1 trillion for 2020 to Congress before August 21 after the President and his Cabinet approved it on Monday. While the DBM has yet to release a breakdown of the budget allocation per agency, Presidential Spokesman and Chief Presidential Legal Counsel Salvador S. Panelo said education will still receive a chunk of the P4.1 trillion. “This budget proposal is designed to respond to the needs of the majority of our countrymen longing to be uprooted from the decades of: want of basic necessities, inadequate supply of basic services, lack of infrastructure, absence of accountability on government coffers, vexing bureaucratic rigmarole, deprived
education and unchanged poverty,” Panelo said in a statement. The total proposed national budget for 2020 at P4.1 trillion is 9.1 percent higher, or P343 billion more, than the proposed P3.757-trillion national budget for 2019. The P4.1-trillion cash-based budget for 2020 is equivalent to 19.4 percent of the country’s GDP, which amounts to P21.17 trillion. The DBM said it is still finalizing the proposed National Expenditure Program (NEP) and other budget documents for submission to Congress before the 30-day constitutional deadline. The NEP is submitted by the Executive branch to Congress to assist them in the review and deliberation of the proposed national budget for the legislation of the annual appropriations measures for the next fiscal year. The NEP also details the government’s proposed programs. See “Spending,” A12
US 51.7500 n JAPAN 0.4885 n UK 62.8504 n HK 6.5948 n CHINA 7.3406 n SINGAPORE 37.3835 n AUSTRALIA 34.9623 n EU 57.9755 n SAUDI ARABIA 13.7963
Source: BSP (6 August 2019 )