COLLECTIVE CITY PARAMETRIC_URBANISM_THROUGH_ SWARM_BEHAVIOUR
To our kind tutor and friend, Architect Alejandro Rodriguez for his constant support and dedication to make this project possible.
COLLECTIVE_CITY PARAMETRIC_URBANISM_THROUGH_ SWARM_BEHAVIOUR
INDEX INTRODUCTION SITE_ANALISYS RESEARCH RESARCH_PARAMETERS PARAMETRIC_ALGORITHM EVOLUTION_PHASES EXPERIMENTAL_ITERATIONS MASS_DEVELOPEMENT ARCHITECTURAL_PROGAM LANDSCAPE_DESIGN MASTER_PLAN FLOOR PLANS SECTIONS CIRCULATIONS SUSTAINABILITY RENDERS CONCLUSIONS
DESIGN_ INTENTIONS The intention of the design is to create a district of mixed uses based on the mass movement of bees and their use of collective intelligence to organize into swarm that responds to their environment
CONCEPT By creating transitable structures that are organized into interios and exterior flows generated by a swarm algorithm, we achive an organized urban behaviour that transforms into a depending collective city.
SITE Centrito Valle San Pedro, Garza GarcĂa MĂŠxico Census 2010 people
The place is currently in poor conditions though it has a lot of potential in urbanism. Actually, commercial establishments and clubs inside residential areas, disturb neighbors from the nearby area due to the loud music and lack of parking space.
RESEARCH SWARM BEHAVIOR: Collective behaviour exhibited by bees consists in milling about the same spot or perhaps moving on masse or migrating in some direction. Swarm behaves through collective intelligence based on three rules.
PARAMETERS Localization of Attractors and Repellers.
System of Grid based on the average of lotification
1. Grid field. 2. Location of the 4 repellers with greater intensity. 3. Add strenght and forve to Repellers on the grid depending on its intensity. 4. The points are moved in the z and y axis.
5. The points which were at each intersection of the grid, moved and embodied in a Voronoi. 6. Locate the center of each displacement. 7. The displacements which were more proximate were separated in order to reach the volume.
VORONOI+SWARM In order to translate the swarm behaviour into the design process of the project, we decided to transcribe it into a voronoi diagram. The swarm behaviour pattern is quite similar, if not identical to the voronoi diagram pattern.
1. Bees register all of the neighbouring bees that come across their closest radio of flight in a circular pattern in order to achieve the 3 rules of swarm behavior. 2. Bees mark a boundary at the mid-point of these distances in order to set the area of proximity they are allowed to move around. 3. These midpoints, are delimited by perpendicular boundarie. The bee is then left with an equidistant area to all of the closest neighbouring bees.
4.Bees have an area of movement to respect their 3 rules.
We then translated the pattern into a voronoi diagram on ground level to subdivide the area into smaller areas in which center points had equidistant areas to all of the points closest to it. This gives us a pattern to organize the points which we can now move vertically to set the behaviour of our mass and the iterations between the points and the repellers and attractors. The result of this diagram is the first step to achieve our goal to move and organie masses of people to create a collective environment.
8. Points in Z are loft with proximity patterns. 9. Through lists the points were ordered and depending on proximity to separated displacements now we have surfaces of 4 points. 10. Center to Z
11. Slabs were form by the proximity of displacements with the surfaces. Dependind on the proximity of the curve from the displacement to the loft.
12. Material (Concrete/Blue-Glass/Red) was selected through parameters of proximity.
ITERATIONS Iterations made on the movement of attractors. This represents how repeatable this urban model can be through the moving of the repellers depending on the site of the proyect.Each model represents a different form depending on the allocatoins f the points within the space grid.
TYPOLOGICAL_ CHARACTERISTCS The algorithim spoke by itself. We follow the context of the site and locate the living area near the existent living area. Streets were chosen with the help of the voronoi taking the paths that were continuos. We decided to take some streets under the building and not in the green area.
PARKING We decided to manage most of the parking lots below the building. This serves two purposes. First, it uses the underground level of the building in order to have maximum areas of absobtion around the building. It is also a way to send all the incomming traffic underground in order to have the maximum space for pedestrian use.
The spaces created by the algorithm allow us to have unique and spatially rich habitational areas which each one of them is totally different than the others but in a way people is related by distance and proximity inside the buidling and can interact collectively throughout the complex.
In order to maintain a proper ventilation and sustainable design throughout the buidling, we decided to use the spaces between the inside walls that were generated by the algorithm and were too minimal for habitational use as air vents. These vents catch all the cold air that crashes onto the facade and carries it through the vents, taking all of the hot air from the areas with little or no ventilation.
URBAN_ CONTRIBUTION Benefits of mixed-use district (Collective City) Urban-based: -Interaction site, green areas, housing and commerce. -It will allow the revival of the downtown, making it a landmark of San Pedro. -Replicable model alternating repellers and attractors. Economic-based: -Outer space for business. -Walkable area allowing pedestrians to roam around the district and browse through the merchandise and services available. -Rentable business, accesible parking lots. -The project would serve as the reactivation basis of business located on the outside. Social-based: -Recreational city park suitable for people of all ages. -Green areas hold different potential uses. =Living space in San Pedro.
â€œAlgorithms shape our world. They are present everywhere; in design, ecosystems, mathematics, politics and business. They are the third nature.â€?