DAILY NEWS IN ENGLISH
Nissan board votes unanimously to remove Carlos Ghosn Public broadcaster NHK and business daily Nikkei both said Nissanʼs board had decided to remove the 64-yearold Ghosn, who led the Japanese carmaker for nearly two decades. A Nissan Motor Co spokesman declined to comment. Ghosn and Greg Kelly remain in custody in Tokyo. Neither have issued comment. Prosecutors say they have obtained a 10-day extension of custody for Ghosn. Ghosn, also in charge of Nissan allies Renault and Mitsubishi, was the architect behind the three-party Franco-Japanese car conglomerate, which employs 450,000 people globally. He was also seen as a key figure holding the alliance together. Nissan said that its alliance with Renault "remained unchanged" amid plans to remove Ghosn. Last year, the alliance combined sold 10.6 million cars, as it competes in a three-way tussle with Toyota and the Volkswagen Group to be the worldʼs most prolific car seller.
US welcomes German firmsʼ compliance on Iran sanctions The US ambassador to Berlin on Thursday said he was pleased with the actions of German companies that had stopped trading with Iran after fresh US sanctions were imposed on the country. "We are very pleased that German businesses have decided to abide by the US sanctions," Grenell told the German news agency DPA in an interview. "German business leaders have told us unequivocally that they will stop doing business with Iran and will abide by the US sanctions," he said. "So we are very pleased that the actions of the German business community have been very clear." The US reimposed sanctions on Iranian oil this month after US President Donald Trump pulled out of an international agreement on Iranʼs nuclear program.
267/2018 • 23 NOVEMBER, 2018
German retailers divided over Black Friday shopping frenzy More and more consumers are hoping to secure deals, but that doesnʼt mean everyone is happy
Special promotion days such as Black Friday and Cyber Monday have slowly but surely changed Germanyʼs retail landscape.
Dolce & Gabbana cancels China show after ʼchopstickʼ advert causes uproar The Italian luxury brand is under fire for commercials featuring a Chinese woman trying to eat pizza and spaghetti with chopsticks. Hackers apparently then intervened and poured fuel on the existing fire. Dolce & Gabbana canceled a fashion show in Shanghai on Wednesday after a series of promotional videos were criticized as racist and full of outdated stereotypes by Chinese celebrities and social media users. The controversial commercials, which have since been deleted from the companyʼs Weibo account, featured a Chinese woman
struggling to eat pizza and spaghetti with chopsticks. The row was further compounded by screenshots circulating online appearing to show cofounder Stefano Gabbana making disparaging remarks about China while defending the promotional videos in an Instagram chat. The Italian luxury fashion house apologized for the insulting remarks but said Gabbanaʼs Instagram account had been hacked and the comments were not genuine. "We are sorry for the impact and harm these untrue remarks have had on China and the Chinese people," it said.
Berlinʼs East Side Gallery saved from property investors There will be no further construction projects at Berlinʼs East Side gallery, the 1.3-kilometer remaining stretch of the Berlin Wall that has been covered with art, also known as the "worldʼs longest open-air gallery," Berlin Wall Foundation director Axel Klausmeier said at a press conference on Wednesday. Mediaspree, one of the largest property investors in Berlin, has had the strongest impact on the area surrounding the monument. Since the beginning of the 1990s, media companies, a large
concert hall as well as office buildings and a residential tower were built around the East Side Gallery, while the bank of the Spree River behind the former section of the Berlin Wall was completely modernized. Now the property surrounding the wall section has been transferred to the Berlin Wall Foundation and all development plans have been stopped. Berlin will contribute € 250,000 ($285,000) annually to the preservation of the monument and the maintenance of the area.
German nurse accused of dozens of murders apologizes nurse accused of dozens of murders apologizes A German nurse who is accused of having murdered more than 100 patients is being tried again by a court in Oldenburg, in the state of Lower Saxony. According to investigators, 41year old Niels Högel intentionally injected patients with doses of medicine liable to cause cardiac arrest, so that he could then attempt to revive them and impress his colleagues. Högelʼs killing spree is one of the most serious cases of mass murder in post-war German history. On Thursday, during a hearing of the trial which began three weeks ago, Högel apologized to the victimsʼ families, and said if there was anything he could do to help them right now, he would. "I am fully convinced now that I owe every relative an explanation," he told the court. "I am honestly sorry." He also said at the time of the murders, the killings had not affected him emotionally: "I didnʼt feel grief in that sense," he said.
Do sanctions against Russia work? The Dutch government has held talks with EU member states aimed at establishing an EU sanctions regime against Russia based on human rights violations, which is known as an EU Magnitsky Act, adding to existing sanctions. "It appears to have momentum and is going forward," Bill Browder, who hascampaigned for the legislation known as the Magnistky Act in the US, told
weather today BUDAPEST
3 / 8 °C Precipitation: 0 mm