title

Page 1

DAILY NEWS IN ENGLISH

Afghan electoral body invalidates all votes in Kabul All votes cast in Kabul during the October parliamentary election are invalid, Afghanistanʼs Independent Electoral Complaints Commission (IECC) announced on Thursday. The IECC cited 25 reasons for annulling the results in the capital, including fraud and mismanagement during the conduct of the October 20 poll. "There were serious outstanding problems in Kabul that could hurt the fairness, transparency and inclusiveness of the election," said IECC spokesman Ali Reza Rohani. The finding must be upheld by the Afghan Independent Election Commission (IEC), which has overall authority over the ballot, More than a month after the vote, official results from the election have only been announced for only 14 of Afghanistanʼs 33 provinces, casting a shadow over the credibility of an election process that was marred by violence and allegations of fraud. More than one million votes were counted in Kabul, accounting for about a quarter of the around 4 million votes cast nationwide.

Yemen peace talks begin in Sweden UN-brokered peace talks between the warring parties in Yemenʼs conflict began on Thursday in Sweden. The meeting isthe latest attemptto end a civil war that has ravaged the country and brought it to the brink of famine. Representatives of Yemenʼs government, the UN special envoy Martin Griffiths and members of the Houthi rebel militia will participate in the talks. The Houthi rebels, who are backed by Iran, have been locked in a power struggle with the Saudibacked Yemeni government since late 2014, when the rebels took hold of the capital Sanaa. Griffiths had attempted to bring the two sides together for UN-sponsored talks in Geneva in September, but the rebels failed to appear. Direct talks took place previously in 2015 and 2016, but both attempts were unsuccessful.

277/2018 • 7 DECEMBER, 2018

French government scraps fuel tax hike after yellow-vest protests Despite the decision, protests may continue

Chinaʼs Huawei finance chief arrested in Canada, faces extradition to US The chief financial officer of Chinaʼs Huawei Technologies, Meng Wanzhou, was arrested in Vancouver on December 1 and faces extradition to the United States, Canadaʼs Department of Justice said on Wednesday. Mengʼs arrest is related to alleged violations of US sanctions, according to Reuters news agency. A bail hearing for her extradition is set for Friday. Read more: ZTE, Huawei bans: Genuine security concerns or part of China trade spat? Huawei issued a statement saying Meng, also the companyʼs deputy chairman and the daughter of company founder Ren Zhengfei, was detained while changing flights in Canada, in order to face "unspecified charges" in New York. The tech company said it complies with all laws and rules where it operates. The company also said it was "not aware of any wrongdoing" by Meng.

Australian court clears ex-archbishop of child sex abuse cover-up The French government announced the fuel tax rise had been scrapped from the 2019 budget after weeks of protests and the worst rioting in Paris in decades. French Prime Minister Edouard Philippe hadannounced a six-month postponementof the tax on Tuesday, but on Wednesday he and President Emmanuel Macron decided the tax would not be part of the 2019 budget, according to Secretary of Equality Marlene Schiappa. Macron has left Philippe to make the public statements concerning the protests. Philippe made it known that "the tax is now abandoned" in the 2019 budget. The government was "ready for dialogue" he said. Environment Minister Francois de Rugy confirmed in a TV interview that the fuel tax due on January 1 was "scrapped for the year 2019" in its entirety. Negotiating with the protesters, called "gilets jaunes" for wearing high-visibility yellow vests, has been difficult for the government as the leaderless activists are spread throughout rural and urban France and include people with grievances beyond objections to the

fuel duty. Jacline Mouraud, one of the self-proclaimed spokespeople was unimpressed by the announcement, "I think it comes much too late." Macronʼs move was "on the right path but, in my opinion, it will not fundamentally change the movement," she said. Mouraud said the various groups wearing the yellow vests would make their own decisions about what to do next, but encouraged protesters to push other demands such as a rise in the minimum wage. Further protests are anticipatedthis coming weekend with some politicians calling for more security measures. Trade unions and farmers have threatened to join the protests. Laurent Wauquiez, head of the Republicans party called for a state of emergency to be declared saying, "That would enable the security forces to be protected and it would also enable us to protect those who want to march peacefully without being taken hostage."

A New South Wales court on Thursday ruled against the landmark conviction of former Adelaide archbishop Philip Wilson for concealing child sex abuse within the church. The 68-year-old became theworldʼs most senior Catholic official to be convicted of the crime in May, but the Newcastle District Court found there was reasonable doubt of his guilt. "There is no proper basis upon which I can rely to reject the evidence of the appellant," Judge Roy Ellis told the court in his summing up.

weather today BUDAPEST

0 / 5 °C Precipitation: 0 mm


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.
title by Business Publishing Services Kft. - Issuu