title

Page 1

DAILY NEWS IN ENGLISH

Violence against refugees in Germany drops dramatically Refugees and refugee homes are still attacked nearly every day in Germany — but the figures dropped significantly last year. Left-wing politicians blame both the AfD and Angela Merkelʼs party for stirring up hatred. The German government counted 2,219 attacks on refugees and refugee homes in 2017, new Interior Ministry figures revealed on Wednesday have shown. This is a third fewer than in the previous year, when the authorities counted more than 3,500 attacks, but still translates to more than five a day. According to an Interior Ministry answer to an official parliamentary information request, the attacks broke down into 1,906 attacks on refugees and 313 on homes, with more than 300 people injured as a result. The crimes listed in the statistics included bodily harm, property damage, defamation, hate speech, trespassing, arson, and causing an explosion.

Stealthy sleuths: Lithuania calls for ʼcyber Schengenʼ zone Coming soon to a cyber attack near you: an EU rapid-response team led by Lithuania, able to leap national borders in a single bound. Criminals do it, so why not the good guys? Teri Schultz reports. As NATO and the European Union team up to cut red tape for troops to move more quickly through Europe to counter a potential crisis, Lithuania is leading an effort to do the same for cyber defenders. Lithuanian President Dahlia Grybauskaite has called on fellow EU leaders to support the creation of a "cyber Schengen," modeled on the area of free movement of people within the European Union, to better battle online crime and aggression which operate border-free.

50/2018 • 01, MARCH 2018

Syrian forces gain ground in Eastern Ghouta despite truce Russia blames rebel groups for the outbreaks of violence during the daily humanitarian pause

A temporary ceasefire offered up by Russia appears to have been wholly ineffective as violence continues. Syrian government forces made gains against rebels in Eastern Ghouta on Wednesday despite a supposed truce in the area, a monitoring group reported. Russia and the US have increasingly clashed over Moscowʼs failure to implement the ceasefire as well as the use of chemical weapons. Russia blamed Washington and its allies for sparing terrorists on the ground. The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported that air strikes and artillery fire in Eastern Ghouta stopped just before the pause took hold, but that clashes continued around Hosh al-Zawahira and Shaifuniyeh.Government forces advanced against Jaish al-Islam rebels in the eastern outskirts area of Hawsh al-Dawahira, the Observatory said.The Syrian military claimed the humanitarian corridor had been opened, but according to state TV no civilians left the heavily bombarded area on either Tuesday or Wednesday. Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov told the

United Nations Human Rights Council on Wednesday: "Russia together with the Syrian government have already announced the establishment of humanitarian corridors in Eastern Ghouta." "Now, it is the turn for the militants and their sponsors to act, militants entrenched there who still continue shelling Damascus, blocking aid deliveries and the evacuation of those wishing to leave." The European Unionʼs foreign policy chief, Federica Mogherini, demanded that Russia, Iran and Turkey take responsibility for ending fighting in Syria and that they respect a genuine 30-day ceasefire. In a letter to the three foreign ministries she urged them "to take all the necessary steps to ensure that the fighting stops, that the Syrian people are protected" and to allow free movement of aid groups and civilians. France meanwhile called on Russia and Iran to exert "maximum pressure" on the Syrian government to implement the ceasefire.

Uproar in Pakistan over ʼtorture and sexual abuseʼ of Christian youths Rights groups have condemned the alleged torture and sexual abuse of two Christian youths by investigating officials. The latest blasphemy controversy highlights the plight and vulnerability of Pakistani Christians. On Friday, Sajid Masih, a 24-yearold blasphemy suspect, leapt from the fourth floor of the Federal Investigation Agencyʼs (FIA) Punjab headquarters in Lahore and severely injured himself. In a video statement, Sajid alleged that he jumped because the FIA officials tortured him and ordered him to "sexually assault" Patras Masih, his cousin and the main accused in an online blasphemy case. "They asked me to abuse myself, but I refused to do so. Later, they asked me to sexually assault my cousin, but I remained silent and jumped from the building," he said.

India bids farewell to Bollywood legend Sridevi Kapoor The Indian film starʼs accidental death on the weekend has unleashed an outpouring of public grief. Fans have lined Mumbaiʼs streets to pay their last respects. Thousands of fans have taken to the streets of Mumbai to farewell Bollywood star, Sridevi Kapoor, whodied over the weekend after drowning in her bath tub. Some mourners carried photos of the screen star, while others held flowers as they waited to pay their last respects at a condolence service.

weather today BUDAPEST

-12 / -4 °C Precipitation: 0 mm


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.