title

Page 1

DAILY NEWS IN ENGLISH

Nissan board votes unanimously to remove Carlos Ghosn Public broadcaster NHK and business daily Nikkei both said Nissanʼs board had decided to remove the 64-yearold Ghosn, who led the Japanese carmaker for nearly two decades. A Nissan Motor Co spokesman declined to comment. Ghosn and Greg Kelly remain in custody in Tokyo. Neither have issued comment. Prosecutors say they have obtained a 10-day extension of custody for Ghosn. Ghosn, also in charge of Nissan allies Renault and Mitsubishi, was the architect behind the three-party Franco-Japanese car conglomerate, which employs 450,000 people globally. He was also seen as a key figure holding the alliance together. Nissan said that its alliance with Renault "remained unchanged" amid plans to remove Ghosn. Last year, the alliance combined sold 10.6 million cars, as it competes in a three-way tussle with Toyota and the Volkswagen Group to be the worldʼs most prolific car seller.

US welcomes German firmsʼ compliance on Iran sanctions The US ambassador to Berlin on Thursday said he was pleased with the actions of German companies that had stopped trading with Iran after fresh US sanctions were imposed on the country. "We are very pleased that German businesses have decided to abide by the US sanctions," Grenell told the German news agency DPA in an interview. "German business leaders have told us unequivocally that they will stop doing business with Iran and will abide by the US sanctions," he said. "So we are very pleased that the actions of the German business community have been very clear." The US reimposed sanctions on Iranian oil this month after US President Donald Trump pulled out of an international agreement on Iranʼs nuclear program.

267/2018 • 23 NOVEMBER, 2018

German retailers divided over Black Friday shopping frenzy More and more consumers are hoping to secure deals, but that doesnʼt mean everyone is happy

Special promotion days such as Black Friday and Cyber Monday have slowly but surely changed Germanyʼs retail landscape. Itʼs been a hectic few days for the people behind the online platform blackfridaysale.de in the run-up to this yearʼs largest pre-Christmas shopping bonanza in Germany. Thousands of discounted products are on sale again this year, and brisk business has almost been taken for granted ever since Black Friday made its way across the Atlantic six years ago. "Black Friday has a fairly short history in Germany compared to the roughly 50 years itʼs been a traditional shopping event in the US," blackfridaysale.de spokesman Albert Haschke told DW. Interest among German consumers in Black Friday has risen steadily in recent years, as the exploding number of Google searches for the term bears out. Close to 90 percent of Germans know what Black Friday stands for, compared to 98 percent in the UK. So, thereʼs still some catching up to do, says Haschke, "but weʼre getting there." Some market analysts are surprised that such special sales days are a hit in

a saturated market environment like Germanyʼs, but Haschke says the huge discounts on offer are not to be sneezed at. "Itʼs true, that we have a saturated market in many retail segments, but when people realize that they can save a lot in the purchase of Christmas gifts they would have bought anyway, itʼs an incentive for many to take part in Black Friday shopping." Hardly anyone doubts this yearʼs shopping frenzy will become a success again. The German Retail Association (HDE) expects revenues to the tune of €2.4 billion ($2.74 billion), also with the help of Cyber Monday. If the figure is confirmed, it would mark a solid improvement on the 1.7 billion of generated revenue during Black Friday in 2017. Images of German consumers elbowing their way through huge crowds in brickand-mortar stores will be fairly rare, though, as an overwhelming majority of Black Friday enthusiasts prefer hunting for to so-called "best deals" online.

German nurse accused of dozens of murders apologizes nurse accused of dozens of murders apologizes A German nurse who is accused of having murdered more than 100 patients is being tried again by a court in Oldenburg, in the state of Lower Saxony. According to investigators, 41year old Niels Högel intentionally injected patients with doses of medicine liable to cause cardiac arrest, so that he could then attempt to revive them and impress his colleagues. Högelʼs killing spree is one of the most serious cases of mass murder in post-war German history. On Thursday, during a hearing of the trial which began three weeks ago, Högel apologized to the victimsʼ families, and said if there was anything he could do to help them right now, he would. "I am fully convinced now that I owe every relative an explanation," he told the court. "I am honestly sorry."

Do sanctions against Russia work? The Dutch government has held talks with EU member states aimed at establishing an EU sanctions regime against Russia based on human rights violations, which is known as an EU Magnitsky Act, adding to existing sanctions. "It appears to have momentum and is going forward," Bill Browder, who hascampaigned for the legislation known as the Magnistky Act in the US, told DW. "If successful, this would have a devastating effect on Putin and his cronies because they keep a huge amount of their money and property in the EU."

weather today BUDAPEST

3 / 8 °C Precipitation: 0 mm


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.
title by Business Publishing Services Kft. - Issuu