title

Page 1

229/2018 • 6 OCTOBER, 2018 WEEKEND ISSUE

DAILY NEWS IN ENGLISH

Italyʼs Matteo Salvini: EU has ʼruined our countryʼ Disputes over Italyʼs budget with the EU come ahead of next yearʼs EU elections

Deputy premier Matteo Salvini has suggested EU Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker had "ruined Europe and our country."

The far-right, Euroskeptic head of Italyʼs League party appeared to strengthen his line against EU opposition to Italyʼs tax-cutting budget on Friday. Speaking at an agricultural trade fair in Rome, Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Matteo Salvini said: "The EU said yes to (past) budgets that impoverished Italy and made its situation precarious." "So I donʼt get up in the morning thinking about the judgment that people like Juncker and (EU Economic Affairs Commissioner Pierre) Moscovici, who have ruined Europe and Italy, have of the government and of Italy," Salvini added. ʼI talk to sober peopleʼOn Tuesday, Salvini had threatened to seek damages from Juncker for scaring off investors by attackingRomeʼs budget plans, amid some thinly veiled personal remarks levelled at the president. When asked by broadcaster La7 about Junckerʼs suggestion Italy might pose a Greecelike threat to the euro, Salvini replied: "I talk to sober people who donʼt make comparisons that arenʼt here nor there." "He should drink two glasses of water before opening his mouth, and stop spreading nonexistent threats," Salvini continued. "Or weʼll ask him for damages." Speaking in Germany on Monday, Juncker had said: "We have to do everything to avoid a new Greek or rather an Italian crisis this time. One crisis was enough." The Commission president added there should be no "special treatment" for what he

called Romeʼs budget indiscipline. Italy has the second biggest public debt in the EU, currently at 131 percent of GDP. Only Greeceʼs debt is larger.Junckerʼs words were echoed by eurozone finance ministers at a Eurogroup meeting who cautioned against Italyʼs budget plans. EU Economic Affairs Commissioner Pierre Moscovici angered politicians in Rome when he said "The Italians have... chosen a resolutely euroskeptic and xenophobic government that, on issues of migration and budget, istrying to get out of its European obligations." On Wednesday, Italian Economy Minister Giovanni Tria appeared to back off the coalition governmentʼs plans by saying he expected the debt-to-GDP ratio to fall, thanks to higher growth. Instead of a public sector deficit of around 2.4 percent of GDP announced last week, Tria said deficits of 2.1 percent for 2020 and 1.8 percent in 2021 were envisaged. Elections to the European Parliament are due to be held next May with anti-EU sentiment running high in Italy, Hungary, Poland and withMarine Le Penʼs Rassemblement National, or National Rally, the new name for the Front National in France. Salvini is due to meet with Le Pen in Rome next week. "I will be in Rome with Matteo Salvini on Monday on the invitation of the Unione Generale del Lavoro to talk about economic growth and social prospects in a Europe of nations," Le Pen said via Twitter.

Canadian court revokes manʼs citizenship over Nazi SS ties, again

Macedonia name change could be a game changer

Belgium to sue Google for not blurring military sites

Dutch police find bomb-making

Risto Mijakovski sits in a tent in the small park opposite the Macedonian parliament building in the capital Skopje. A painter by trade, Mijakovski is a member of the #Bojkotiram (Boycott) movement which wants to preserve the Republic of Macedonia. "By changing our name they want to completely erase the Macedonian nation. We are losing our identity, our language, everything," he tells DW. The debate over what to call the country has been simmering since independence in 1991. Now, it has reached boiling point.

Belgium has said it will take legal action against Google for not complying with its requests to blur satellite images of sensitive defense sites. The Belgian Defense Ministry said it had asked the technology giant to blur sites such as air bases and nuclear power stations, citing national security concerns. "The Ministry of Defense will sue Google," a ministry spokeswoman said, without giving further details. Google has previously complied with similar requests from other countries including France and the Netherlands.

Dutch investigators revealed on Friday they found a substantial quantity of raw materials for explosives at the homes of seven suspects arrested a day earlier on terror-related charges. Officers also found "100 kilograms [220 pounds] of fertilizer, possibly for use in a car bomb," prosecutors said. The men were reportedly planning to carry out a large-scale attack on an event with the aim of causing multiple casualties. The arrests followed a monthslong investigation into a terror network.

materials after ʼterrorʼ arrests

Canadaʼs Federal Court on Thursday declined to review a decision to revoke the citizenship of a Ukrainian immigrant accused of having links to a Nazi SS killing squad during World War II. In a statement, the court said the Canadian governmentʼs finding that Helmut Oberlander, now aged 94, had lied about his wartime activities when he arrived in Canada with his wife in 1954 was "justifiable," paving the way to his deportation.


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.