title

Page 1

DAILY NEWS IN ENGLISH

WWII resistance fighter who thwarted Nazi nuclear plan dies A Norwegian man who led a daring raid to sabotage Nazi Germanyʼs nuclear weapon ambitions has died at the age of 99. The story of the World War II operation has been retold in books, TV series and a Hollywood film. Joachim Ronneberg, hailed as a war hero for carrying out a major attack against the Nazis in his native Norway, died Sunday at the age of 99. As a young soldier in 1943, he was chosen to head Operation Gunnerside, which destroyed part of the Norsk Hydro plant and put a stop to Germanyʼs nuclear weapons program. "Ronneberg is probably the last of the best known resistance fighters to pass away," Norwegian Prime Minister Erna Solberg told the NTB news agency. "He is one of our great heroes." Born in 1919 in the town of Aalesund, Ronneberg fled Norway after German forces invaded in 1940, and ended up training with the Norwegian resistance in Britain. He returned to his occupied homeland in February 1943 to lead a six-man team in a major assault on the Norsk Hydro facility in the countryʼs south.

Ethiopia signs peace deal with rebel group in oil-rich region After being previously dubbed a "terrorist group," the rebel Ogaden National Liberation Front (ONLF) signed a peace deal with Ethiopiaʼs government, officials announced on Monday. The agreement brings an end to a 34-year insurgency in eastern Ethiopiaʼs Somali Region State, also known as Ogaden. The ONLF has been fighting for the rights of ethnic Somalis living in the eastern state since 1984, including proposing secession. "The Ethiopian government and ONLF delegations held productive discussions and reached a historic deal that allows the ONLF to undertake a peaceful political struggle in Ethiopia," Ethiopiaʼs foreign ministry said.

242/2018 • 24 OCTOBER, 2018

Britainʼs May says divorce deal with EU almost done The bad news? The Irish border belongs in the unsolved 5 percent

British Prime Minister Theresa May has told parliamentarians that 95 percent of a Brexit deal has been agreed with the EU.

Is Google selling out for access to Chinaʼs massive tech market? As Google looks at developing a search engine censored by Beijing, Chinaʼs online authoritarianism combined with its development as a global hub for artificial intelligence innovation presents an ethical dilemma. Googleʼs CEO Sundar Pichai on Monday publicly stated for the first time that his company was working on an internal project developing a censored search engine for China.Speaking at Wired magazineʼs 25th anniversary conference, Pichai said that considering the size and scale of the Chinese market, Google felt obliged to "think hard" and "take

a long-term view" about the companyʼs presence in China. "The reason we did the internal project was that itʼs a wonderful, innovative market and we wanted to learn what it would look like if Google were in China," said Pichai, adding that tests showed Google in China would be able to serve 99 percent of search queries. Rumors of a Sino-centric censored Google search engine emerged in August after Google documents leaked by the investigative website The Inter‐ cept indicated that the Silicon Valley tech giant was working on developing a search engine app for China codenamed Project Dragonfly.

ʼWe are the magiciansʼ: Roma and Sinti artists create a bold vision from Berlin Roma and Sinti people have often been cast as an exotic and primitive people who lead romantic, wild and unrestrained lives. Roma narratives — think Carmen, Franz Liszt and the paintings of Otto "Zigeuner" Mueller — have sometimes been well intentioned, but are often hostile. And Romani people have rarely been masters of their own voice. In response, Galerie Kai Dikhas was established in Berlin in 2011 as a venue for Roma

and Sinti art, and stories, a place to open dialogue and change perceptions of Europeʼs largest minority that numbers some 12 million people. "The idea of this gallery is that it is a platform for the artists of the minority in a way that the minority itself makes the image of the minority, where people talk about their own issues, their own perspectives on life," says Moritz Pankok, artistic director and founder of Kai Dikhas.

What is the INF nuclear treaty? The "Treaty between the United States of America and the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics on the elimination of their Intermediate-range and shorterrange missiles," also known as "the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty," or "INF Treaty" sought to destroy both countriesʼ ground-launched ballistic and cruise missiles with ranges of between 500 and 5,500 kilometers (300 to 3,400 miles), their launchers and associated support structures and support equipment. It led to the destruction of almost 2,700 missiles and their launchers by the June 1, 1991 deadline stipulated in the treaty. The INF treaty was the first US-Soviet agreement aimed at reducing the superpowersʼ nuclear arsenal and allow on-site inspections to verify the destruction of the missiles. It remained in force after the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991.

John Bolton starts talks with Russia over nuclear treaty US National Security Adviser John Bolton has arrived in Moscow for what promises to be two days of high-tension talks with senior Kremlin officials. The visit comes after President Donald Trump announced his intention towithdraw from a landmark nuclear weapons treaty. What did Trump say? The United States will withdraw from the Cold War-era ʼIntermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treatyʼ (INF) with Russia.Trump accused Russia of "violating the terms of the treaty" without giving any further details.The US would go ahead and develop nuclear weapons unless Russia and China signed up to a fresh agreement.

weather today BUDAPEST

8 / 13 °C Precipitation: 3 mm


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.