DAILY NEWS IN ENGLISH
Germany: Arrest over the murder of 9-year-old Peggy One of Germanyʼs most elusive and long-running murder cases came a step closer to a resolution on Tuesday following multiple reports that a man had been arrested over the death of the young girl known publicly in Germany only as Peggy. Peggy was nine years old when she vanished from her home in Lichtenberg, Bavaria in May 2001. Although she was presumed dead, her bodywas not found until fifteen years later. "The 41-year-old Manuel S. will be brought before the magistrate on Tuesday," reported public broadcaster MDR. The suspect is believed to be the same 41-year-old who admitted to transporting the girlʼs body in September. He told the authorities that he had agreed to take the corpse from another man, and admitted to transporting the body to the woods 20 kilometers (12.4 miles) from Lichtenberg where it was eventually found by a man gathering wild mushrooms in 2016.
Iran confirms test of ballistic missiles Iran on Tuesday confirmed it had conducted a missile test earlier in December, following criticism from Western powers, including Security Council members the US, France and Britain. "We confirm the recent test of our ballistic missiles," air force commander of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) Amir Ali Hajizadeh said, according to the Fars news agency. Hajizadeh said that Iran carries out around 40 to 50 missile tests each year. Read more: Iranʼs military power: What you need to know The UN Security Council met last week over the test that the US, Britain and France said defied UN restrictions on Tehranʼs military program. In May, US President President Donald Trump decided to withdraw from an international agreement on Iranʼs nuclear program andreimposed sanctions on Tehran.
282/2018 • 13 DECEMBER, 2018
Deadly shooting in French city of Strasbourg At least three people have been killed in a shooting in the eastern French city of Strasbourg
Parts of the city are still on lockdown and a major security operation is underway around the cityʼs famed Christmas market.
EUʼs top court rules European Central Bank bond buying legal The ECBʼs purchase of government bonds was an attempt to save countries such as Greece, Spain and Portugal from default. It was particularly controversial in Germany, where multiple lawsuits challenged its legality. The European Unionʼs top court on Tuesday ruled that the European Central Bank (ECB) decision to buy up the sovereign debt of its own member states in 2015 was valid and within its mandate. This followed several legal challenges to the measure in Ger-
many. The ECBʼs policy was an attempt to prop up struggling economies following the sovereign debt difficulties in Greece and several other eurozone members in the aftermath of the 2008ʼs Great Recession. The ECB had hoped that by buying government bonds, as part of its wider "quantitative easing" program, it would lower the interest rates faced by heavily-indebted members that were struggling to borrow more money at competitive rates on the markets.
How the European Film Awards could boost their image Europe can probably only blame itself. Why do the European Film Awards, to be awarded this Saturday, December 15 in Seville, Spain, remain in the shadow of the Oscars? The American awards naturally have a longer tradition as they have been awarded since 1929. The European Film Awards, on the other hand, have only existed since 1988. Still, that means they have been around for 31 years. Word should have long gotten out that the Europeans also have "Os-
cars" of their own. European cinema is more diverse But thatʼs not the case. Global media focuses on the Oscars long in advance of the ceremony, but not on the European Film Awards. Why is that? Certainly not due to the quality of the films. On the contrary, one could even claim that European cinema as a whole is much more diverse, colorful and artistically appealing than the English-speaking continent of North America — even if it is less commercially productive.
Argentina court sentences ex-Ford executives on torture, kidnapping charges Two former executives for automaker Ford were handed lengthy jail sentences by an Argentine court on Tuesday. The move marks the first time that high-level corporate leaders have headed to prison over crimes committed duringArgentinaʼs "Dirty War." After a year on trial, Hector Sibilla, the former head of security at Fordʼs Buenos Aires factory, was sentenced to 12 years in prison. His codefendant, manufacturing manager Pedro Muller was given 10 years. The court declared that both men "were necessary participants in the illegal deprivation of liberty, aggravated by the use of violence and threats," against labor leaders and union advocates. Sibilla was also found to have been present during at least one torture session.
Brazil: Gunman opens fire inside cathedral, kills 4 A gunman has killed four people after opening fire following a midday Mass in a Catholic cathedral in the Brazilian city of Campinas. The attacker later died at the scene after turning the gun on himself. Worshipers at the Metropolitan Cathedral in Campinas, located some 60 miles (100 kilometers) north of Sao Paulo, were praying when the incident occurred. The gunman, who police identified as 49year-old Euler Fernando Gandolfo, entered the church and sat among them. After some time, Gandolfo drew his gun and began shooting the people around him. Most of the worshipers were elderly people.
weather today BUDAPEST
0 / 3 °C Precipitation: 0 mm