DAILY NEWS IN ENGLISH
South and North Korea begin removing landmines along border South and North Korea began removing landmines scattered across the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) on Monday as part of their pact to reduce military tensionson the divided peninsula. The South Korean Defense Ministry said in a statement that the two sides had agreed to remove all mines, believed to be as many as 2 million, buried along the 250-kilometer-long (155-mile) DMZ over the next 20 days. North Korea state media did not immediately report that it had begun removing landmines from its side of the DMZ. However, an anonymous defense official in Seoul told the AP news agency that the Southʼs military had detected Northern Korean soldiers engaged in what it believed was demining along part of its sites.
Arnault, the Frenchman at the center of the Nobel Prize scandal, found guilty of rape French-Swedish photographer and artistic director Jean-Claude Arnault was sentenced to two years in prison for raping a woman in 2011. Arnaultʼs connections to the Swedish Academy, the body that funds the Nobel Prize for Literature, has sent the organization reeling and led to the first cancellation of the literature prize in over 60 years. In November 2017,Arnault was accused of assaulting at least 18 women, including a claim backed by three witnesses that he groped Swedenʼs Crown Princess Victoria at an Academy event in 2006. He was charged with two counts of rape, after several charges had to be dropped due to insufficient evidence or the statute of limitations having lapsed. Arnault, 72, ran the Forum – Contemporary Scene of Culture center in Stockholm, an arts and performance venue funded by the Swedish Academy.
225/2018 • 2 OCTOBER, 2018
South and North Korea begin removing landmines along border It marks the two countriesʼ latest joint gesture aimed at easing their decades-long military stando
Troops from South and North Korea have begun demining the heavily fortified DMZ border area along the peninsula.
Ryanair warns on profits and jobs as strikes bite The Irish low-cost carrier has slashed its profits forecast and signaled job losses in the Netherlands and Germany, saying worse may come if recent coordinated strikes across Europe continue to hit traffic and bookings. As a result of recentwalkouts by pilots and cabin crew, the Irish airline has cut its annual net profit forecast by 12 percent, saying it now expected the figure to come in between €1.1 billion ($1.28 billion) and €1.2 billion, compared with its prior estimate of €1.25 billion to €1.35 billion. Moreover, Ryanair announced it would leave eight aircraft on the tarmac as of November 5 —
equivalent to a 1.0-percent reduction in its winter capacity. At its Eindhoven, Netherlands, base all four aircraft would be grounded, as well as its two planes stationed in Bremen, Germany. In addition, two out of five aircraft would be removed from its base in Niederrhein, also in Germany."We will now consult with our pilots and cabin crew at these three bases to minimize job losses," Ryanair said in a statement on Monday. The affected staff would be offered vacancies at other Ryanair bases, and unpaid leave would be introduced to "minimize cabin crew job losses" amid a "large surplus" of crew during the winter schedule
Poland: Film stokes debate about sexual abuse The film had already been labelled controversial long before it arrived in cinemas. Now it has, and demand is so high that some movie theaters are screening "Kler" up to 20 times a day. On the other hand, there are also municipalities with conservative local authorities that donʼt want it in their cinemas at all. Director Wojciech Smarzowski could hardly dream of better advertising. The subject
matter is one of the hottest topics currently being debated in Poland: How priests deal with money, power and sexuality. And pedophilia. There are many people who want to participate in this debate, especially as itʼs taking place in a country where almost half the population regularly attends church on Sundays and more than 90 percent are baptized Catholics.
German far-right terror suspects detained in overnight raids Some 100 police officers raided several properties in the German states of Saxony and Bavaria early on Monday morning as part of an investigation into a far-right terror group called "Revolution Chemnitz," named after the eastern German city that wasthe scene of recent far-right demonstrationsfollowing the killing of a German man allegedly by migrants. The six men arrested, aged between 20 and 30, are suspected of forming a terrorist organization under the leadership of 31-year-old Christian K., who had already been arrested on September 14. According to Germanyʼs state prosecutors, the men were planning attacks on "foreigners" and people who did not share their political views. Batons, an air-rifle, and computer hard drives were seized during the raids.
Master of the chanson Charles Aznavour dead at 94 French singer Charles Aznavour has died at the age of 94, French media reported on Monday, citing his spokesman. French President Emmanuel Macron, a fan of the singer described as "Franceʼs Frank Sinatra," paid tribute to Aznavour on Twitter shortly after the news of his death was made public. "Deeply French, viscerally attached to his Armenian roots, known all over the world, Charles Aznavour accompanied three generations through their joys and pains," Macron wrote. "His masterpieces, his tone, his unique brilliance will live far beyond him."
weather today BUDAPEST
10 / 18 °C Precipitation: 0 mm