Page 1

SAINT-MARTIN

SINT-MAARTEN

No 16 mars 2011

Protection du patrimoine Protecting our heritage

RESTORING MONUMENTS

Jacques Deldevert


collection de vĂŞtements en vente exclusive au MusĂŠe de Saint-Martin

ethnik tendancy

new fashion wear available only at Saint-Martin Museum


EDITO SOMMAIRE RESTAURATION DE NOTRE PATRIMOINE HISTORIQUE RESTORATION OF OUR HISTORICAL PATRIMONY

Pages 2 à 8

JACQUES DELDEVERT CONSTRUCTEUR A SAINT MARTIN JACQUES DELDEVERT BUILDER ON SAINT MARTIN

Pages 9 à 13

HERITAGE Saint-Martin/Sint Maarten

Editeur : Association Archéologique Hope Estate BP 507, Marigot, 97150 Saint Martin 0690 56 78 92 E-mail : heritagesxm@live.fr Directeur de publication: C. Hénocq Rédaction : Christophe Hénocq Photographies : Hervé Baïs / A.A.H.E. J. Deldevert / P. Estoup Service commercial : 0690 56 78 92 Maquette et Graphisme :

0690 40 89 43 Traduction : I. Fenoll Impression : PRIM Caraïbes 05 90 29 44 87 ISSN 2104-8932 www.museesaintmartin.com La reproduction même partielle de tout article, photo et publicité parus dans HERITAGE est interdite sauf accord. La loi du 11 mars 1957 interdit les copies ou reproductions destinées à une utilisation collective. Toute représentation ou reproduction intégrale ou partielle, faite sans le consentement de l’auteur est illicite (article L.122-4 du code de la propriété intellectuelle).

Une fois n’est pas coutume, notre numéro de ce mois de mars est consacré à notre patrimoine architectural. Depuis le 9 janvier 2011, Notre association a démarré les travaux de restauration des façades de l’ancienne prison de Marigot. Il aura fallu près de 3 ans pour boucler le budget nécessaire à l’accomplissement de ce projet cofinancé par la DRAC, La Collectivité de Saint Martin et la Fondation du Patrimoine. Notre association vous propose de découvrir les métiers de la restauration des monuments historiques à travers tous les chantiers mis en place depuis 1993 sur l’île de Saint Martin. Nous rendons hommage également dans cette édition à Jacques Deldevert, entrepreneur du bâtiment arrivé à Saint Martin quelques années après la deuxième guerre mondiale, dont les constructions en béton marquent encore nos paysages ainsi que ceux des îles proches. Son équipe et lui ont contribué à la modernisation des équipements publics de Saint Martin et à l’amélioration des voies de communication terrestres, aériennes et maritimes. Nous profitons de cette occasion pour vous inviter à visiter la page Facebook de Sxm Heritage où vous découvrirez de nombreuses photographies anciennes de Saint Martin/Sint Maarten commentées par ceux qui ont connu ces époques. Notre page compte à ce jour plus de 3800 amis qui profitent déjà de ces récits souvent empreints de nostalgie. Qu’ils soient tous remerciés de leur intérêt et de leurs encouragements.

For once, our March edition is devoted to our architectural patrimony. Since January 9th, 2011, our association has started restoring the facades of the old Marigot prison. Almost three years time will have been needed to accomplish this project co financed by the DRAC, the Saint Martin Collectivity and the Patrimony Foundation. This month, our association gives you a glimpse of the historical monuments restoration trades through all the restoration sites set up since 1993 on the island of Saint Martin. In this edition, we also pay homage to Jacques Deldevert, a building contractor having arrived on Saint Martin a few years after the Second World War, and whose concrete constructions still mark our landscapes as well as those of the neighboring islands. His team and he contributed to the modernization of public equipment on Saint Martin and to the improvement of the land, air and sea transport and communication links. We take advantage of this occasion to invite you to visit the Sxm Heritage Facebook page on which you will discover many old photographs of Saint Martin/Sint Maarten commented by those people who remember those times. Our page now counts 3800 friends, friends who already take advantage of these nostalgic souvenirs. We thank them all warmly for their interest and encouragements. C. Henocq


RESTAURATION DE NOTRE PATRIMOINE HISTORIQUE L’île de Saint Martin, tout au long de son histoire, a vu se développer des constructions dont certaines ont traversé les siècles pour devenir aujourd’hui de précieux témoins de ce passé colonial. Hélas, le temps et le climat tropical ont parfois fortement dégradé ces monuments qu’il nous appartient aujourd’hui d’inventorier et de restaurer afin de les transmettre aux générations futures. Parmi ces monuments, certains sont des bâtiments privés, demeures des maîtres de plantations, anciennes sucreries, maisons bourgeoises et cases traditionnelles. D’autres ont un caractère religieux;églises, chapelles, calvaires et sépultures. Les plus visibles sont indiscutablement les forts, les batteries de canons et les bâtiments militaires comme l’ancienne prison de Marigot. Le Fort Louis, premiers grands travaux de restauration en 1993

alors propriétaire du Fort Louis, de démarrer des travaux de restauration. Afin de minimiser les

Throughout its history, the island of Saint Martin has witnessed the erection of constructions some of which, today, have spanned centuries to become precious remains of this colonial past. Alas, time and our tropical climate have sometimes deteriorated these monuments and it is up to us today to inventory and to restore them in order to pass on these remains to future generations. Amongst these monuments, some are private buildings, plantation masters’ homes, old sugar factories, town houses and traditional houses. Others are of a religious nature, churches, chapels, calvaries and tombs. The most visible ones are unquestionably the forts, gun batteries and military buildings such as the old Marigot prison. Fort Louis, first major restoration works in 1993

Militaire du SMA au Fort Louis Military from SMA at Fort Louis

coûts, les militaires du SMA de Guadeloupe seront associés au projet. Les jeunes effectuant leur service militaire reçoivent une formation délivrée par l’entreprise Antilles Restauration et participent aux travaux de rénovation du Fort Delgrès à Basse-Terre. Forts de leur expérience, ils se déplaceront à Saint Martin 3 mois par an entre 1993 et 1996 afin de consolider et restaurer les murailles du Fort Louis, monument militaire dominant la baie de Marigot, construit par la population en 1789. Ce premier grand chantier va permettre la restauration complète du magasin à poudre du fort, seule construction abritée encore visible dans l’enceinte protégée. La toiture du bâtiment était totalement effondrée et les murs et encadrements de porte menaçaient la sécurité Restauration du magasin à poudre des visiteurs. A l’époque, Powder stock room restoration le Fort ne bénéficiait d’aucune protection particulière. (DRAC), à la Com- Depuis l’année 2007, le Fort est mune de Saint Martin inscrit sur la liste des Monuments 2 et au Conseil Géné- Historiques Nationaux. Cette insral de la Guadeloupe, cription nous permet aujourd’hui

Dès 1993, l’Association archéologique Hope Estate propose aux services du Ministère de la Culture

RESTORATION OF OUR HISTORICAL PATRIMONY the inventory of the National Historical Monuments. This listing presently enables us to envisage new restoration works projects, 40% of the cost of which may be financed by the Ministry of Culture. Today, tens of thousands of visitors climb the steps enabling them to visit the monument. A professional of monument restoration on Saint Martin Christian Steiner comes from the French region of Alsace-Lorraine. He discovered Saint Martin during his honeymoon in 1995. He was delighted by the beauty of the landscape and quickly noted the richness of Saint Martin’s built patrimony which has alas become derelict. Trained in a modern masonry school, he was hired by the Schwartz Company in the Moselle region of France, a company specializing, as of 1977, in the restoration of historical monuments. The company was then recruiting stone carvers and taking up old abandoned stone quarries. Steiner first learned these old construction techniques on construction sites. He was a stone layer for 10 years before taking a

As of 1993, the Hope Estate Archeological Association proposed to the services of the French Ministry of Culture (DRAC), the Saint Martin Municipality and the Guadeloupe General Council, then owner of Fort Louis, to start the restoration works. In order to lessen costs, the Guadeloupe Adapted Military Service recruits (SMA), were associated to the project. The young men carrying out their military service received training delivered by the “Antilles Restorations” company and they took part in the Fort Delgres renovation works in Basse-Terre. Using their past experience, they came to Magasin à poudre avant restauration Powder stock room before restoration Saint Martin 3 months a year between 1993 and 1996 in order to consolidate and restore the Fort training course at the Saint LamLouis walls, a military monument, bert stone carving school in Pabuilt by the population in 1789, ris. He then became a historical overlooking Marigot bay. This first monuments site coordinator and, large site enabled the complete amongst other works, he took part restoration of the fort’s powder in the restoration of the Bitche cistock room, the only sheltered tadel, that of the Strasbourg and construction still visible in the pro- Metz cathedrals and that of Maltected enclosure. The building’s brouck castle, on the Luxembourg roof had totally collapsed and the border. His interventions concern walls and door frames threatened all the historical periods extenthe safety of visitors. At the time, ding from Gallo-Roman times to the Fort was not subject to any the 19th century. He helped train particular measure of protection. many young people on school Since 2007, the Fort is listed on sites.


Martin au cours de son voyage de noces en 1995. Il est enchanté par la beauté des paysages et remarque rapidement la richesse du patrimoine bâti de Saint Martin qui est hélas tombé à l’abandon. Formé en école de maçonnerie moderne, il est embauché par l’entreprise Schwartz en Moselle, qui dès 1977 développe une spécialité en restauration Le magasin à poudre après restauration The powder stock room after restoration de monuments historiques. L’entreprise recrute alors d’envisager de nouveaux projets des tailleurs de pierres et de travaux de restauration qui remet en service d’anciennes carpourront être financés à 40% par rières de pierres abandonnées. le ministère de la Culture. Aujourd’hui, ce sont des dizaines de milliers de visiteurs qui se lancent à l’assaut des escaliers permettant la visite du monument. Un professionnel de la restauration de monuments à Saint Martin Christian Steiner est originaire d’Alsace-Lorraine. Il découvre Saint

La stèle de la chapelle avant restauration The chapel stel before restoration

Restoration of the old Marigot Roman Catholic chapel in the year 2000

Steiner invited various companies to the site and his apprentices’ en-

In the year 2000, Mr. Steiner decided to settle on Saint Martin and created a service and repairs company mainly intervening on low rent housing. As of his settlement, the Patrimony Action association, proposed he handle a small restoration site, that of the old Marigot Roman Catholic chaApprentis restaurateurs du patrimoine pel. This chapel, built Apprentices in patrimony restoration during the early 19th century, is located in the presbytery gar- thusiasm enabled them all to find den. Its roof had been swept work. During the roof’s restoration, away during the passage of one of the young people working hurricane “Luis”, September on site, who came from the “Ly5th, 1995, and the carved cée polyvalent des îles du Nord”, stone walls were beginning invited his carpentry professor to to deteriorate. Already at the site to obtain advice as to the the time, Mr. Steiner was re- structure to build. Thrilled by the cruiting unemployed young enthusiasm of his prior students, people in order to pass his Mr. Broch proposed to have a know-how on to them. In just carpentry class take part in a site a few weeks, together, they requiring the restoration of a wood had restituted all its splendor building. to the religious monument.


Restoration perdu son toit of the Fort Louis lors du passage bread oven in de l’ouragan Luis 2003 le 5 septembre 1995 et les murs Very quickly, the en pierre taillée decision was tacommençaient ken to restore the à se dégrader. old bread oven Déjà à l’époque, on Fort Louis, a M Steiner recrute small structure des jeunes en built of stone and difficulté afin de wood, equipped leur transmettre son savoir-faire. with a brick oven and a chimney. Ensemble, en Finition de la toiture de la chapelle This small kitchen quelques seChapel roof finishing maines, ils redonis presently locanent au monument ted on the preSteiner apprend d’abord sur le religieux toute sa splendeur. Steifecture parking terrain ces techniques anciennes ner invite différentes entreprises lot at the bottom de construction. Il sera poseur de sur le chantier. L’enthousiasme of the Fort. It was pierres pendant 10 ans avant de de ses apprentis permettra à tous an outbuilding of suivre une formation à l’école des d’obtenir un travail. Au cours de la the Saint Martin tailleurs de pierres Saint Lambert à restauration de la toiture, un des Commander ’s Paris. Il devient alors chef de chanjeunes du chantier qui venait du house, the ruins tier de monuments historiques et lycée polyvalent des îles du Nord of which were participera entre-autre à la restauinvita son professeur de charpente previously located ration de la citadelle de Bitche, des pour obtenir des conseils sur la on the prefecture cathédrales de Strasbourg et de La chapelle aujourd’hui structure à bâtir. Emballé par l’enbuilding site, the Metz, du château de Malbrouck, à The chapel today thousiasme de ses anciens élèves, latter having been la frontière luxembourgeoise. Ses M Broch proposa de faire participer built in 1964. This mire the completely reconstituted interventions concernent toutes une classe de la section charpente restoration site was completed in wooden house there. The oven les périodes historiques depuis à un chantier qui nécessiterait la two school years. The architect, has still not been restored. Its l’époque Gallo-romaine jusqu’au restauration d’un bâtiment en bois. Didier Rouault, had reconstiturestoration would enable the set19ème siècle. Il contribue à la forted the drawings ting up of old time bread cooking mation de nombreux jeunes sur Restauration du of the wooden at the foot of the Fort, thus prodes chantiers-écoles. four à pain du Fort house based on posing a unique tourist attraction. Louis en 2003 his observation Restauration de l’ancienne of its masonry, chapelle Catholique de Marigot Très rapidement, la still intact. The Restoration of the Spring en 2000 décision est prise carpentry high sugar factory chimney in 2007 de restaurer l’ancien school students En 2000, M Steiner décide de s’insfour à pain du fort then used those The recent real estate developtaller à Saint Martin et crée une enLouis, Petite structure drawings in order ment of the Spring and Concortreprise de service et dépannages construite en pierres to reconstitute dia valleys, whether they be linintervenant essentiellement sur les et en bois, équipée the building as a ked to the tax deduction law or to logements sociaux. Dès son insd’un four en briques workshop before SEMSAMAR investments in low tallation, l’association Action Patriréfractaires et d’une assembling the rent and mid-level rent housing, moine, lui propose un petit chantier cheminée. Cette pestructure on site. have considerably damaged the de restauration, celui de l’ancienne tite cuisine se trouve The masonry was Le four à pain du Fort Louis old Diamant, La Colombe and eschapelle catholique de Marigot. actuellement en bas then repaired and avant restauration pecially the Spring sugar factory Cette chapelle, construite au début du Fort sur le parking today, Fort Louis the Fort Louis bread oven landscapes. Early 2007, works du 19ème siècle se trouve dans before restoration de la préfecture. Elle visitors can adle jardin du presbytère. Elle avait

Saint-Martin Evasion contribue à la présevation du patrimoine de Saint-Martin


des camions provoque des vibrations qui affaiblissent la base de la cheminée déjà en mauvais état. Pour des raisons de sécurité publique, la propriétaire des terrains autorise la restauration de la cheminée. La case du four à pain restaurée Les travaux, suthe bread oven house restored pervisés par M. Denis, ingénieur constituait une dépendance de la maison du commandant de Saint BTP seront réalisés par Christian Martin dont les ruines se trouvaient Steiner épaulé de jeunes apprenen lieu et place du bâtiment de tis. Cette restauration réalisée in la préfecture construit en 1963. extremis a permis de sauver la Ce chantier de restauration a été dernière cheminée encore debout achevé sur deux années scolaires. témoignant, de toute sa hauteur, L’architecte Didier Rouault avait re- de cette époque où l’économie de constitué les plans de la case en bois à partir des observations faites sur la maçonnerie encore intacte. Les lycéens de la section charpente ont alors utilisé ces plans afin de reconstituer le bâtiment en atelier avant de monter la structure sur le site. La maçonnerie a été reprise et aujourd’hui, les visiteurs du Fort Louis peuvent y admirer la case enLa cheminée de Spring avant restauration tièrement reconstituée. the Spring chimney before restoration Le four n’a toujours pas été restauré. Sa remise en état permettrait d’organiser des cuissons de pain à l’ancienne au l’île ne reposait que sur la producpied du fort, proposant ainsi une tion agricole, notamment celle du sucre de canne. Depuis 2007, rien attraction touristique unique. Restauration de la cheminée de la sucrerie de Spring en 2007 Le récent développement immobilier des vallées de Spring et Concordia, qu’ils soient liés à la loi de défiscalisation ou aux investissements de la SEMSAMAR dans le logement social et intermédiaire, ont considérablement endommagé les paysages des anciennes sucreries Diamant, La Colombe et surtout ceux de Spring. Au début de l’année 2007, des travaux réalisés à proximité de la sucrerie de Spring menacent de faire effondrer la cheminée de l’usine construite en 1833. Le va-et-vient incessant

La cheminée flambant neuve the brand new chimney

carried out near the Spring sugar factory threatened to cave in the factory chimney built in 1833. The constant come and go of trucks provoked vibrations weakening the already deteriorated chim-

Culture Ministry (DRAC), the Saint Martin Collectivity and the Patrimony Foundation. This site directed by Mr. Steiner is carried out by unemployed persons recruited by the AIDES social integration

La cheminée de Spring après restauration the Spring chimney after restoration

ney base. For reasons pertaining association. High school students to public safety, the land owner in social integration classes have authorized the chimney’s resto- joined the team to give the old ration. The works, supervised by prison its original aspect back. InMr. Denis, building engineer, were deed, the installation of the Saint carried out by Christian Steiner Martin firemen’s station in the old assisted by young apprentices. prison in 1968 had led to works This restoration carried out at the carried out with modern matelast minute enabled the saving of rials. The whitewashed walls had the last chimney still standing attesting, with its full height, of the time at which the island’s economy rested only on its agricultural production, especially that of sugar cane. Since 2007, nothing was done to upkeep the sugar factory ruin and its surroundings. It is now surrounded by modern concrete buildings. Mrs. Fleming-Hodge born Beauperthuy wishes to donate the Spring sugar factory lands of which she is the owner to the Saint Martin Collectivity. Should this transaction take place one day, we could envisage, as she wishes, to reinforce what remains of the sugar factory, resCollégiens au service du patrimoine tore the animal mill and open a historical and botanical park for High school students serving patrimony less. been covered over with cement. Certain openings had been modiRestoration of the old Marigot fied and the building painted. The prison in 2011 works first consisted of removing Since 2007, the old prison is lis- the cement rendering in order to ted amongst the National Histori- uncover the stone walls, sealed cal Monuments protected by the with whitewash. Whitewash is French Culture Ministry. Since “cement” which was loJanuary 9th, 2011, a major resto- cally made by heating 5 ration site started, financed by the limestone blocks with


de ciment. Certaines ouvertures avaient été modifiées et le bâtiment peint. Les travaux consistent tout d’abord à enlever l’enduit de ciment afin de retrouver les murs en pierres, liées à la chaux. La chaux est un «ciment» qui était fabriqué localement en faisant chauffer des blocs de calcaire et de corail dans un four. Après cuisson, on recueillait une poudre blancbeige qui, mélangée avec de l’eau et du sable permettait de lier les pierres entre elles. La chaux était ensuite utilisée pour les enduits des façades. Cela permettait de protéger les pierres et de consolider la tenue des murs. Au fur et à mesure de l’avancée des travaux, les pierres d’encadrement des Enlèvement d’une poutre en béton portes et fenêtres ont été Removal of a concrete beam décapées. Certaines pierres sont absentes ou fracturées. n’a été fait pour entretenir la ruine Se pose alors le problème de leur de la sucrerie et ses abords. Elle se retrouve aujourd’hui encerclée remplacement. Tout d’abord, il de bâtiments modernes en béton. faut enquêter et retrouver l’origine des pierres employées pour la Mme Fleming-Hodge née Beauperthuy souhaite faire don des terrains de la sucrerie de Spring dont elle est propriétaire à la collectivité de Saint Martin. Si cette transaction se réalise un jour, nous pourrons envisager, comme elle le souhaite, de consolider ce qu’il reste de l’usine, restaurer le moulin à bêtes et ouvrir un parc historique et botanique à moindres frais. Restauration de l’ancienne prison de Marigot en 2011 Depuis 2007, l’ancienne prison est inscrite sur la liste des monuments historiques protégés du Ministère de la Culture. Depuis le 9 janvier 2011, un grand chantier de restauration a démarré, financé par le ministère de la Culture (DRAC), la Collectivité de Saint Martin et la Fondation du Patrimoine. Ce chantier encadré par M. Steiner est réalisé par des personnes en difficulté recrutées par l’association d’insertion AIDES. Des collégiens en classe d’insertion se sont joints à l’équipe pour redonner à l’ancienne prison son aspect original. En effet, l’installation de la caserne des pompiers de Saint Martin dans l’ancienne prison en 1968 avait conduit à des travaux réalisés avec des matériaux modernes. Les murs enduits de chaux 6 avaient été recouverts

Préparation de la chaux Preparation of whitewash

coral in an oven. After cooking, a whitish-beige powder was collected which, mixed with water and sand, was used to link stones together. Whitewash was then used as façade rendering. This enabled the protection of the stones and consolidated the walls. As the works progressed, the door and window framework stones were stripped. Some stones are missing or broken. The problem of their replacement must then be handled. First, we must find out and discover the source of the stones used for the construction of the windows and doors. It is rather surprising to note that two categories of stone were used. The first, Ponçage des pierres d’encadrement of a beige-yellowish color, Sanding of framework stones is a beach rock. These limestone rocks are formed try to import some to complete the at the edge of the water on our openings’ restoration. The stone seashores and are made up of carver’s tools are plain sledgemillions of grains of sand cemen- hammers and cold chisels. Steel ted together by limestone dissol- wedges were used to break the ving in the tidal gross stone. Today, these stones balance area of are first drilled every 5 cm before the seashore. It being broken with a wedge and is a type of rock a sledgehammer. When the size sufficiently hard nears that wished, the stone carto be used in ver uses a small hammer and a construction, but cold chisel in order to carve a first also sufficiently flat surface. This first smooth flat soft to be car- surface is then used as a basis ved and worked for the production of parallelipedic for flat surfaces. blocks, sometimes of semi-circuThe second rock lar form for arched doors and winseems to have dows. The historical monuments been imported. restoration sites often hold surIt is a volcanic prises and enable us to reconstuft of chocola- titute the evolution of a building ty-purple color through the ages. containing many And so when the old prison’s cequartz minerals. It ment facades facing rue Perrinon could come from Saint-Barthele- were scraped off, a walled winmy, from Saba or from Saint Kitts. dow was discovered. Where one We must now clearly identify the finds a window, one also finds an source of these stones in order to access door. However the

construction des fenêtres et des portes. Il est assez surprenant de constater que deux catégories de roches ont été utilisées. La première, de couleur beige-jaune consiste en un grès de plage (Beach rock). Ces roches calcaires se forment en bord de mer sur nos plages et sont constituées de millions de grains de sable cimentés par la dissolution de calcaire dans la zone de balanceEncadrement des fenêtres en pierre taillée ment des marées Window carved stone framework sur le littoral. C’est

building wing on which this window appeared does not reveal any opening in the prison courtyard. A foray showed that a door existed which was probably walled off when the fire station set up there in 1968. The reopening of this door will enable us to give the building its original aspect back, with a much more symmetrical room layout than it has today. Mrs. Sybillle Samoyault, Architect for the protected Buildings of France (ABF),


de cercle pour les portes et fenêtres voutées. Les chantiers de restauration de monuments historiques réservent souvent des surprises et permettent de reconstituer l’évolution d’un bâtiment au cours du temps. Grès de plage à l’état brut C’est ainsi qu’en Natural beach rock décapant le ciment des faune roche assez dure pour serçades de l’ancienne prison côté vir à la construction, mais assez rue Perrinon, une fenêtre murée tendre pour pouvoir être taillée est apparue. Qui dit fenêtre dit et travaillée en faces planes. La porte d’accès. Or l’aile du bâtiment seconde roche semble avoir été où est apparue cette fenêtre ne importée. Il s’agit d’un tuf volcaprésente aucune ouverture nique de couleur chocolat-violet dans la cour de la prison. contenant de nombreux minéraux Un sondage a montré qu’il de quartz. Elle pourrait provenir existait une porte qui a prode Saint Barthélémy, de Saba ou bablement été murée lors de de Saint Kitts. Il nous reste donc l’installation de la caserne à identifier clairement l’origine de des pompiers en 1968. La ces roches afin d’essayer d’en réouverture de cette porte importer pour achever la restaupermettra de redonner au ration des ouvertures. Les outils bâtiment son aspect d’oridu tailleur de pierres consistent gine, avec une disposition en de simples masses et burins. des pièces beaucoup plus Des cales en acier étaient utilisées symétrique qu’aujourd’hui. pour fragmenter les pierres brutes. Mme Sybille Samoyault, ArAujourd’hui, ces roches sont tout chitecte des Bâtiments de d’abord perforées tous les 5 cm France a effectué le déplaceavant d’être cassées avec une cale ment depuis la Guadeloupe et une masse. Lorsque le gabarit afin d’inspecter le chantier, est proche de celui qu’il souhaite d’en contrôler l’avancée et obtenir, le tailleur de pierres utilise de prodiguer de nombreux une massette et un burin fin afin de conseils afin de restaurer le sculpter une face plane. Cette premonument dans les règles mière surface lisse sert ensuite de de l’Art. Les discussions se base pour la production de blocs sont beaucoup concentrées parallélépipédiques, parfois en arc autour de la question de l’origine des roches violettes encadrant les ouvertures, mais aussi sur la forme des volets en bois qui viendront remplacer les persiennes en verre, peu esthétiques installées lors de l’occupation par les pompiers. Les barreaux des grilles de la prison ont révélé après le décapage des enduis de ciment un état très avancé de corrosion dû à la présence de sable de plage riche en sel dans les mortiers de chaux utilisés. En l’état, il serait impossible de reconstituer les fenêtres de la prison avec leurs barreaux sans au préalable avoir restauré les grilles. Ces grilles ont certainement été fabriquées en France et importées en Christian Steiner en pleine finition Guadeloupe, puis à Saint MarChristian Steiner doing finishing works tin. La prison de Basse-Terre

Taille des pierres par perforation Stone carving using piercing

came from Guadeloupe to inspect the site, to control its progress and

Les outils du tailleur de pierres The stone carver’s tools

provide ample advice in order to restore the monument according

to professional trade rules. The discussions mostly focused on the matter of the source of the purple stones surrounding the openings, but also on the shape of the wooden shutters coming to replace the glass louvers, not really esthetic and installed during the firemen’s occupation of the premises. The prison bars, revealed once the cement rendering had been removed, proved to be largely corroded due to the presence of beach sand of a very high salt content in the whitewash used. In their present state, the reconstitution of the prison windows with their bars is impossible without first having restored the bars. These bars were certainly made in France and imported to Guadeloupe, then to Saint Martin. The BasseTerre prison has the same kinds of bars at its windows. They are assembled without any soldering by fitting together the vertical bars into the pierced horizontal bars. It is necessary to keep all the original part of the bars, whilst forging them again in order to replace the corroded parts. A company has been called upon to quote this delicate work.

Sondage ayant révélé une ancienne porte murée Foray having revealed an old walled door

7


Corrosion des barreaux en fer forgé Corrosion of the wrought iron bars

présente le même type de grilles aux fenêtres. Elles sont assemblées sans soudure en emboîtant les barreaux verticaux dans des barres horizontales perforées. Il est nécessaire de conserver toute la partie originale des barreaux, tout en les reforgeant pour remplacer les portions corrodées. Une entreprise a été contactée afin de chiffrer le coût de ce travail délicat.

Ainsi, la restauration de l’anold construction cienne prison de Marigot associe professions, but la valorisation de notre patrimoine also to the sobâti, la formation aux anciens cial integration métiers de la construction, mais of unemployed aussi l’insertion de publics en persons. Our grande difficulté. Nos projets à medium and moyen et long terme sont la mise long term proen œuvre de la restauration de jects are the imbiens privés avec le concours de plementation of la Fondation du Patrimoine et la the restoration of poursuite de chantiers-école d’inprivate propersertion sur l’ancienne cuisine de ties with the help la Plantation Mont Vernon. Nous of the Patrimony souhaitons également étudier la Foundation and Les barreaux de la prison sont d’origine The prison bars are the original ones possibilité et mobiliser des fonds the continuation pour la restauration du Pont de of social integraThe restoration of the old Marigot Durat et du Fort Louis. Cette dertion and school prison thus links the promotion of construction sites on the old Mont nière opération nécessitera un our built patrimony, to training to Vernon Plantation kitchen. We travail d’au moins 3 ans, une opportunité unique also wish to examine the pospour ceux qui sibility and mobilize funds for participeront à ce the restoration of the Durat chantier-école. Il Bridge and Fort Louis. This restera également latter operation will require a 3 à envisager des year period of works at least, travaux importants a unique opportunity for those sur la ruine de la who will take part in this school sucrerie de Spring site. Major works on the Spring dans le cas où sugar factory ruins should also cette propriété pribe envisaged should this privée entrerait dans vate property enter into the le domaine de la Collectivity land. Collectivité. Visite du chantier par l’Architecte des Bâtiments de France C. Henocq Site visit by the protected Buildings of France Architect


JACQUES DELDEVERT CONSTRUCTEUR A SAINT MARTIN Dans la première moitié du 20ème siècle, peu de temps après l’abandon total de la production de sucre de canne à Saint Martin, l’île de Saint Martin s’appauvrit. Nombre de pères de famille sont contraints d’émigrer dans les îles de Curaçao, de la Guadeloupe, de la République Dominicaine afin de trouver un emploi. Peu de temps après la fin de la seconde guerre mondiale, la Guadeloupe, ancienne colonie, devient département français auquel la Commune de Saint Martin est rattachée. Malgré le passage d’Ali Tür, architecte des colonies, qui introduisit de nouvelles techniques de construction en béton dans les années 1930, la majeure partie des bâtiments sont construits en bois. C’est à cette époque que Jacques Deldevert démarre son entreprise de bâtiment à Saint Martin. 1947, Jacques Deldevert débarque à Pointe-à-Pître La famille Deldevert est originaire du village de Saint Laurent les Bâtons en Dordogne. Il est né le 10 avril 1926 à Fontenay le Fleury près de Versailles. A la mort de son père en 1929, il s’installe à Chaville dans la banlieue sud de Paris avec sa mère. A 16 ans, en pleine occupation allemande, il s’engage dans la résistance. A la libération, il s’engage dans les forces armées françaises, participe à la bataille des Vosges et se retrouve en Allemagne à la fin de la guerre. A son retour, il trouve une France à genoux. Il est très difficile de trou-

Presbytère de Marigot Marigot presbytery

ver du travail. J. Deldevert passe alors un concours à l’école du bâtiment de Bagnolet où il est reçu. Il est alors recruté par une entreprise de travaux publics qui lui pro-

JACQUES DELDEVERT BUILDER ON SAINT MARTIN

During the first half of the 20th century, a little after the total abandonment of sugar cane production on Saint Martin, the island of Saint Martin became impoverished. Many family fathers were obliged to emigrate to the islands of Curacao, Guadeloupe, and the Dominican Republic in order to find work. A little after the end of the Second World War, Guadeloupe, the old colony, became a French administrative department to which the commune of Saint Martin was linked. In spite of the passage of Ali Tür, colonial architect, who introduced new concrete construcJacques Deldevert et son fils tion techniques during the 1930s, the l’a recruté quitte précipitamment major part of buildings are made of la Guadeloupe. Pris au dépourvu, wood. It is at this time that Jacques J. Deldevert décide tout de même Deldevert started his construction de rester. Il fera toutes sortes de company on Saint Martin. petits boulots. Il s’occupera entreautre de voirie et vendra même du charbon de bois. Il rencontre alors M. Petrelluzzi qui le recrute pour effectuer des travaux. Il construit les premiers bâtiments modernes de la rue Frébault à Pointe-à-Pître. pose un poste en Guadeloupe. En 1947, il quitte le port de Marseille à bord du Cargo Matouba et arrive à Pointe-à-Pître comme conducteur de travaux, mais l’entreprise qui

France, he enlisted in the Resistance movement. When France was liberated, he enlisted in the French armed forces, took part in the battle of the Vosges mountain range and ended up in Germany at the end of the war. At his return, he found his native country in ruins. It was very difficult to find work. J. Deldevert then sat for an exam at the construction school at Bagnolet at which he was accepted. He was then recruited by a public works company which offered him a position in Guadeloupe. In 1947, he left the port of Marseille aboard the cargo Matouba and arrived at Pointe-à-Pitre as foreman, but the company who had hired him left Guadeloupe hastily. Taken aback, J. Deldevert nevertheless decided to stay. He did all sorts of small jobs. Amongst other things, he handled road works and even sold coal. He then met Mr. Petrelluzzi who recruited him to carry out works. He built the first modern buildings of rue Frebault in Pointe-à-Pitre. 1949, settling on Saint Martin During one of his trips to Guadeloupe the Mayor of Saint Martin, Mr. Elie Fleming, discussed with Mr. Petrelluzzi of the difficulties he

1949, Installation à Saint Martin C’est au cours de l’un de ses voyages en Guadeloupe que le maire de Saint Martin, M. Elie Fleming discute avec M. Petrelluzzi des difficultés qu’il rencontre alors qu’il cherche une entreprise de construction motivée pour s’implanter dans sa petite commune. M. Petrelluzzi, conscient des difficultés et de l’isolement de Saint Martin propose alors à J. Deldevert d’y implanter sa société de construction. C’est un homme polyvalent capable de se débrouiller avec les moyens du bord. Il embarque avec

Brise lames de Marigot - 1950 Marigot breakwater - 1950

1947, Jacques Deldevert disembarks at Pointe-à-Pitre The Deldevert family comes from the village of Saint Laurent Les Bâtons in the French region of Dordogne. He was born April 10th, 1926 at Fontenay le Fleury near Versailles. At his father’s death in 1929, he settled at Chaville in the southern neighborhood of Paris with his mother. A 16 years of age, during the German occupation of

was encountering when he was looking for a motivated construction company to come settle in his small commune of Saint Martin. Mr. Petrelluzzi, conscious of the difficulties and of the isolation of Saint Martin then proposed to J. Deldevert to settle his construction company. He was a versatile man capable of doing many things with the means at hand. He embarked with 4 of his 9 workmen on a schooner


sous celui d’Hubert Petit. Il recevra également des commandes du gouvernement de la partie Hollandaise, des îles de Saba, Saint Eustache et Saint Barth. Il construit par exemple la station météo de Saint Barthélémy en 1952. L’entreprise de construction sert également de centre de formation. Barrage de Saint Jean à Saint Barthélémy - 1959 De nombreux Saint Jean barrage on Saint Barthelemy - 1959 Saint Martinois travailleront 4 de ses ouvriers sur une goélette avec J. Deldevert et seront de Saint Barth fin 1949 et débarque à Phillipsburg. Son épouse le re- formés sur le tas. Parmi joint dès 1950. Il découvre Saint eux, certains démarreront Martin et remarque que la plupart plus tard leur propre entredes constructions sont en bois. Il prise de bâtiment. On peut n’y a pas de routes, tout au plus citer Popo Questel, Emiquelques pistes, très peu de vé- lio de Polo, José Brooks, hicules et 1 seul gendarme pour toute la partie française! Beaucoup d’hommes ont quitté l’île à la recherche d’un emploi, notamment dans les raffineries de pétrole de Curaçao. Il n’y a aucune entreprise de construction. Le hameau de Saint Ecole des filles - 1953 Girls’ school - 1953 James est le plus peuplé. On n’y trouve que des cases en bois. Elie Fleming passe Constant Stakelborough mais ausalors commande des deux pre- si Félix Choisy et Willy Gumbs. Les miers chantiers publics auprès de fonds permettant la construction l’entreprise de J. Deldevert. Il s’agit sont essentiellement publics. Il n’y du presbytère de l’église catholique a pas véritablement d’économie en et du brise-lames qui était situé sur place à la fin de la guerre. L’agriculla plage du front de mer de Marigot. ture a marqué un coup d’arrêt et le tourisme n’en est qu’à ses débuts. J. Deldevert n’a alors que 23 ans.

Orangeschool à Phillipsburg - 1959 Orangeschool in Philipsburg - 1959

Pendant une vingtaine d’années, J. Deldevert va réaliser de nombreux chantiers publics sous le mandat munici10 pal d’Elie Fleming, puis

Il n’y a qu’une banque en partie hollandaise et le trésor public en partie française. Les matériaux nécessaires à la construction sont importés de partout : l’entreprise Audebert de Pointe-à-Pître fournit la

training centre. Many Saint Martiners worked with J. Deldevert and were trained on construction sites. Amongst them, some later started their own construction companies. One can mention Popo Questel, Emilio de Polo, Jose Brooks, Constant Stakelborough but also Felix Choisy and Willy Gumbs. The funds enabling construction are essentially public ones. There was no real economy present at the end of the war. Agriculture had temporarily ceased and tourism was only beginning. There was only one bank on the Dutch side and the National Government Treasury on the French side. The materials needed for construction were imported from all parts of the world: the Audebert company in Pointe-à-Pitre supplied steel reinforcement, tiling and woodwork finishings; Edouard Petit sold cement imported Ecole des garçons - 1960 from Porto Rico in his Boys’ school - 1960 store located rue Felix Eboué on the lagoon the most populated. There were shore; Mrs. Yvette Fleming also wooden houses there. Elie Fleming sold cement and materials in prethen ordered the first two public mises that have disappeared today construction sites from J. Delde- located on the Main Street (Rue vert’s company. These were the de la République) All the concrete Roman Catholic’s presbytery and buildings were erected by hand. the breakwater located on the Ma- The concrete mixer was manual rigot waterfront beach. J. Deldevert and when a concrete slab had to be poured, the workmen, most of them was only 23 years old at the time. coming from Anguilla, made a chain During around twenty years, passing the concrete buckets from J. Deldevert carried out many public one to the other. It happened that works under Elie Fleming’s munici- the site ended at nightfall using the pal mandate, then under that of Hu- construction site vehicles to light bert Petit. He also received orders the site. There was no electricity as from the Dutch side government, yet. Teams of women were paid to from the islands of Saba, Statia and sort and gather gravel on Anse des Saint Barth. For example, he built Pères (Stones Bay), between Mathe Saint Barthelemy meteorologi- rigot and Friar’s Bay. J. Deldevert cal station in 1952. The construc- used to come regularly by boat to tion company was also used as a load the gravel on the beach. from Saint Barthélémy late 1949 and disembarked at Philipsburg. His wife joined him as of 1950. He discovered Saint Martin and noticed that most of the buildings were made of wood. There were no roads, at most a few trails, very few vehicles and one single Gendarme for the whole French side ! Many men had left the island looking for work, especially in the petrol refineries in Curacao. There was no construction company on site. The hamlet of Saint James was then


ferraille, le carrelage et les huisse- Marigot et Friar’s Bay. J Delderies ; Edouard Petit vend du ciment vert vient régulièrement en bateau importé de Puerto-Rico dans son charger les graviers sur la plage. magasin situé rue Félix Eboué au bord du lagon ; Mme Yvette Fleming vend également du ciment et des matériaux dans un local aujourd’hui disparu situé dans la Grand’ Rue (Rue de la République). Toutes les constructions en béton sont faites à main d’hommes. La bétonnière est manuelle et lorsqu’une dalle doit être coulée, les ouvriers, la plupart originaires d’Anguilla font la chaîne en se passant les seaux de béton. Il arrive que le chantier Eglise Catholique de Quartier d’Orléans - 1954 se termine à la nuit sous French Quarter Roman Catholic church - 1954 les feux des véhicules du Un constructeur qui marque le territoire et l’architecture de Saint Martin Nombre de constructions publiques encore visibles aujourd’hui ont été construites par J. Deldevert et son équipe. Ils bâtissent ainsi plusieurs écoles: l’école des filles qui sera transformée en école des garçons (actuellement l’école élémentaire Nina Duverly) fut construite en 1953; Orangeschool, à Phillipsburg est construite en 1959; la même année, il bâti 8 logements pour les maîtres d’école, Le calvaire du Fort Louis - 1954 encore visibles de Calvary at Fort Louis - 1954 nos jours à droite de l’école Nina Duchantier. Il n’y a pas encore d’élec- verly; L’école des filles tricité. Des équipes de femmes de Marigot (actuellesont payées pour trier et ramasser ment école de bord de des graviers sur la plage de l’anse mer) est achevée en des Pères (Anse des Pierres) entre 1960. C’est également lui qui bâtit l’église catholique de Quartier d’Orléans et le calvaire situé au pied du Fort Louis en 1954. Le dispensaire de Marigot, situé en contrebas de l’hôpital est érigé en 1955. Lorsque J. Deldevert arrive à Saint Martin, l’hôpital dessiné par Ali Tür est abandonné aux cabris. Le bâtiment principal de la poste de Construction de la route de Pointe Blanche - 1961 Marigot tel que nous Building of Pointe Blanche road - 1961 le connaissons

A builder marking the territory and the architecture of Saint Martin

Case. As of 1957, the creation of the Lowlands development and the arrival of the first American tourists provided a little energy to the Saint Martin economy. Those people known as “the Miami millionaires” ordered several private villas in the Lowlands from J. Deldevert and his team. In 1964, he built the Le Pirate hotel on Marigot beach with Henry

Many public buildings still visible today were built by J. Deldevert and his team. They thus built many schools: the girls’ school which was transformed into a boys’ school (presently the Nina Duverly elementary school) was built in 1953; Orangeschool, in Philipsburg, was built in 1959. That same year, he built 8 lodgings for the school masters, still visible nowadays to the right of the Nina Duverly School. The Marigot girls’ school (presently the école de bord de mer) was completed in 1960. He also built the French Ecole des filles de Marigot - 1960 Quarter Roman CaGirls’ school in Marigot - 1960 tholic church and the calvary located at the foot of Fort Louis in 1954. The Hell, Charly Oberlé, Jean Bonabel Marigot dispensary, located lower and other newcomers. That same down from the hospital was erected year, the French government fiin 1955. When J. Deldevert arrived nanced the construction of the builin Saint Martin, the hospital desi- ding housing the Sous-Prefecture

Dispensaire de Marigot - 1955 Marigot dispensary - 1955

gned by Ali Tür was abandoned to the goats. The main building of the Marigot post office such as we know it was completed in 1956. But our construction site foreman didn’t only build houses. He took part in major works contributing to break the isolation of Saint Martin, such as the construction, in 1964, of the road bordering the Pointe Blanche cliffs, leading today to the cruise ship wharves. It is also to J. Deldevert that we owe the Grand Case dock, built in 1956, alas destroyed by hurricane Luis in 1995 and never repaired. He modernized the communication thoroughfares by making the road from Cole Bay to Philipsburg a concrete road, as well that linking Marigot to Grand

services on the ruins of what had previously been the house of the Commander of Saint Martin and Saint Barthelemy. Still in the early 1960s, he set up on Peak Paradis a shelter destined to house the first telephone links from Saint Martin. At the start of the works, he bought 8 donkeys in charge of carrying the cement bags towards the island’s highest point. Very quickly, the animals got used to the road and a swift spank on their backside was enough to get them started off to reach the summit of the peak. They followed the path on their own. J. Deldevert also used donkeys 11 for the construction of a water silo gathering the


Saint Barthélémy. Toujours au début des années 1960, Il installe au Pic Paradis un abri destiné aux premières liaisons téléphoniques à partir de Saint Martin. Au commencement des travaux, il achète 8 ânes qui seront en charge du transport des sacs de ciment vers le plus haut Pont de la route de Pointe Blanche - 1961 sommet de l’île. Très raPointe Blanche Road Bridge - 1961 pidement, les animaux s’habituent à la route et est achevé en 1956. Mais notre chef de chantiers ne se contente une vive claque sur l’arrière train pas de construire des bâtiments. suffit à les lancer à l’assaut du Pic Il participe à de grands travaux Paradis. Ils se débrouillent seuls qui contribueront à rompre l’iso- pour suivre le chemin. J. Deldelement de Saint Martin, comme la vert utilise aussi ses ânes pour la construction d’un château d’eau captant la source de Moho à quartier d’Orléans. Il alimente ainsi par écoulement gravitaire 3 fontaines d’eau douce dans le village. C’est aussi lui qui installe les premiers poteaux électriques et téléphoniques entre 1961 et 1964. Un savoir-faire qui s’exporte dans les autres îles Construction de la route de Pointe Blanche - 1961 Building of Pointe Blanche road - 1961

J. Deldevert ne se contente pas de marquer le territoire de Saint Martin par ses constructions. Tout d’abord, il travaille beaucoup en partie hollandaise et Claude Wathey, représentant des îles hollandaises du Nord au Parlement

construction, en 1964, de la route longeant les falaises de pointe Blanche qui aujourd’hui mène au débarcadère des grands bateaux de croisière. C’est aussi à J. Deldevert que l’on doit le quai de Grand-Case, construit en 1956, hélas détruit par le cyclone Luis en 1995 et jamais réparé. Il modernise les axes de communication en bétonnant la route de Cole Bay à Phillipsburg, ainsi que celle reliant Marigot à Grand Case. A partir de 1957, la création Appontement de Grand Case - 1956 du lotissement des TerresGrand Case wharf - 1956 Basses et l’arrivée des premiers touristes américains redonne un peu de souffle à l’éco- lui passera de nombreuses comnomie de Saint Martin. Ceux qu’on mandes publiques. En 1964, Il surnomme «le club des milliar- construit la base de pêche des japodaires de Miami» commandent à J. nais à Pointe Blanche. C’est aussi Deldevert et à son équipe plusieurs lui qui réalise le décor en pierres de villas privées dans les Terres- l’ancien aéroport Princess Juliana. basses. En 1964, Il construit avec L’église anglicane de Backstreet Henry Helle, Charly Oberlé, Jean a également été construite par Bonabel et d’autres nouveaux arri- ses équipes. La partie hollandaise vants, l’hôtel Le Pirate sur la plage était prospère. Les travaux étaient de Marigot. La même année, l’Etat payés d’avance, tandis qu’en partie français finance la construction du française, il fallait parfois attendre bâtiment abritant les services de plusieurs mois avant d’être payé. la sous-préfecture sur les ruines Le chantier le plus spectaculaire et de l’ancienne maison certainement le plus difficile qu’il ait du commandant des eu à réaliser est sans conteste celui 12 îles de Saint Martin et de la construction de la piste d’atterrissage de Saba. J. Deldevert était

Moho source water in French Quarter. He thus supplied 3 soft water fountains in the village using the gravitational flow. He also set up the first electric and telephone posts between 1961 and 1964. A know-how exported to the other islands Bureau de poste de Saint Martin - 1956

J. Deldevert was not Saint Martin post office - 1956 satisfied by marking landing strip. J. Deldevert was the territory of Saint Martin with his constructions. First friend to Remy de Heanen, one of of all, he often worked on the Dutch the pioneers of Antillean aviation. They cooperated in the landing strip construction. The first challenge was to disembark the materials and heavy equipment necessary for the works on the island. As there was no port, J. Deldevert stuQuai de Grand Case - 1956 died the floating Grand Case dock - 1956 docks invented to ease the diside of the island and Claude sembarking of the Allied Forces in Wathey, representing the Northern Normandy and succeeded in diIslands in Parliament ordered many sembarking a cement mixer and an public works from him. In 1964, he excavator on a small beach located built the Japanese fishing base at at the foot of the landing strip by Pointe Blanche. He also carried out setting up planks on metal barrels. the stone décor of the old Princess All the island population came to Juliana airport. The Backstreet An- look at the “disembarkment” show. glican Church was also built by his Then it was a matter of tracing a teams. The Dutch side was prospe- road to bring up the equipment to rous. Works were paid in advance, the strip’s height. There, the excavator leveled the mountain and the

Appontement de Grand Case de nos jours Grand Case wharf nowadays

whilst on the French side, one often needed to wait several months before being paid. The most spectacular construction site and certainly the most difficult he had to carry out is unquestionably that of the Saba

fill was partly thrown out to the sea to increase the size of the plateau. To carry the bitumen towards Saba, he used rum kegs making sure not to fill them so that they would float


un ami de Rémy de Heanen, l’un des pionniers de l’aviation antillaise. Ils collaborent à la construction de la piste. Le premier challenge est de débarquer sur l’île les matériaux et les engins nécessaires aux travaux. Comme il n’existe pas de port, J. Deldevert étudie les pontons flottants inventés pour faci- Route Bétonnée Cole Bay - Phillipsburg - 1957 liter le débarquement des Concrete road from Cole Bay to Philipsburg 1957 alliés en Normandie et réussit à débarquer bétonneuse vices publics à Saint Martin, Sint et pelleteuse sur une petite plage Maarten, Saint Barthélémy, Saba située en contrebas de la piste en et Saint Eustache. Il sera même nommé juge suppléant lors du départ du juge de paix P. Estoup, assurant l’intérim en attendant l’arrivée du juge Brangé. Dès 1965, M. Bernard, un nouvel entrepreneur du bâtiment, contribue à la modernisation de Saint Martin. A partir de cette date, certains chefs de chantiers de J. Deldevert commenceront Bétonnage de la rue de Grand Case à démarrer leur propre entreConcrete paving of the Grand Case road prise. Mullet Bay Hôtel and installant des planches sur des fûts en métal. Toute la population de l’île vient assister au spectacle du «débarquement». Reste ensuite à tracer une route pour remonter les engins au niveau de la piste. Là, la pelleteuse arase la montagne et le remblai est en partie jeté vers la mer pour agrandir le plateau. Pour transporter le bitume vers Saba, il utilise des tonneaux de rhum en s’assurant de ne pas les remplir afin qu’ils puissent flotter en mer. Les barils sont ensuite amarrés en file indienne derrière la goélette qui les traine jusqu’aux côtes de Saba. Là, après une manœuvre rapide près du littoral rocheux, la corde

Route Marigot - Grand Case Marigot - Grand Case road

at sea. The barrels were then moored in a row behind the schooner hauling them to the coasts of Saba. There, after a quick maneuver near the rocky shore, the rope was cut, letting the kegs surf and drift to land on which other workmen recovered the precious bitumen. J. Deldevert also built a school and a hospital on Saba.

Station Téléphone au Pic Paradis - 1964 Peak Paradis telephone station - 1964

resort commence à sortir de terre et la partie hollandaise développe l’économie touristique. En 1965, J. Deldevert retourne en France pour des raisons familiales. Il reviendra s’installer définitivement avec son épouse et ses enfants au début des années 1980. Jacques Deldevert est décédé le 20 février 1993. Nombre de Saint Martinois se souvienBâtiment de la Windward Island Bank nent encore de ce grand Windward Island Bank building gaillard dont l’ingéniosité et la générosité étaient était coupée, laissant les tonneaux reconnues de tous. Beaucoup surfer à la dérive jusqu’à la terre des bâtiments qu’il construisit téferme où d’autres ouvriers récupémoignent encore aujourd’hui de raient le précieux goudron. J. Delson passage parmi nous à Saint devert construira également une Martin comme dans les îles enviécole et l’hôpital de Saba. ronnantes. Ainsi, en moins de 20 ans, ce jeune parisien aventurier contribuera à la construction de nombreux ser-

Thus, in less than 20 years, this young Paris adventurer contributed in the construction of many public service buildings on Saint Martin, Sint Maarten, Saint Barthelemy,

Sous-préfecture de Marigot - 1964 Marigot Sous-prefecture - 1964

Saba and Statia. He was even named interim judge when the judge, P. Estoup, left, ensuring the interim whilst waiting for the arrival of judge Brangé. As of 1965, Mr. Bernard, a new building contractor, contributed to the modernization of Saint Martin. As of that date, some of J. Deldevert’s construction foremen started their own companies. Mullet Bay Hotel and Resort was built and the Dutch side developed the tourist economy. In 1965, J. Deldevert returned to France for family reasons. He came back to settle definitely with his spouse and children in the early 1980s. Jacques Deldevert died February 20th, 1993. Many Saint Martiners still remember that big guy whose ingeniosity and generosity were recognized by all. Today many buildings he built still attest his passage amongst us on Saint Martin as on neighboring islands. C. Henocq

Aérodrome de Saba - 1962 Saba airport landing strip - 1962

13


Au cours de votre séjour, ne manquez pas de vous arrêter au Musée de SaintMartin pendant votre visite au bourg de Marigot.

While visitting Saint-Martin and Marigot, don’t miss our island Museum. Located #7, Fichot street, near the Catholic church. You will be able to learn the island’s history from the very first indigenous inhabitants, arriving in 3550 B.C., the European colonisation in the beginning of the 15th century, to ending up with daily life on Saint Martin in the 20th century.

Situé 7 Rue Fichot non loin de l’église catholique, vous y découvrirez l’histoire de l’île depuis l’arrivée des premiers amérindiens en 3350 avant Jésus Christ en passant par la colonisation européenne à partir du 15ème siècle, pour aboutir à la vie quotidienne au début du 20ème. siècle.

t Ouver 00 17h 9h00 - t - Marigot icho F e u R 6 78 92 7, 5 0 9 6 Tél. : 0

O 9:00 am pen -5 7, Fich ot stre :00 pm et Ph. : 0 690 56 Marigot 78 92

www.museesaintmartin.com

HERITAGE 16  

La revue du patrimoine de Saint Martin/Sint Maarten. Saint Martin/Sint Maarten Heritage review

Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you