Historic landmarks in towns and cities of Wielkopolska
Town Square in Rakoniewice, photo: Archive of the Town and Commune Office in Rakoniewice
Historic landmarks in towns and cities of Wielkopolska
In Wielkopolska Voivodeship there are 108 towns (including 4 with the status of a district: Kalisz, Konin, Leszno and Poznań). In each of them you can see interesting landmarks, witnesses of their history. Unfortunately, we cannot describe all of them in one brochure, so we have made a se-
lection. Poznań has not been included here since two separate brochures in this series describe its attractions („Historical Poznań” and „Entertainment in Poznań”); similarly, there is no information on Gniezno and Trzemeszno which have been described at length in “The Piast Route”.
Piast Gord in Kalisz, photo: Archive of the Town Hall in Kalisz
Cities with the status of a district (Kalisz, Konin, Leszno)
It is assumed that in 1257 Duke Bolesław Pobożny awarded the place with city rights and built a castle here. Later King Kazi����� mierz��������������������������������������� Wielki surrounded the town with defensive walls, whose fragments, reaching a height of 6 metres, can still be seen today. These are overlooked by a 14th century tower called Dorotka. The majority of historic landmarks of Kalisz are located within the limits of the town delineated in the 13th century. Its centre was occupied by the Town Square in which the Town Hall was erected. The edifice which can be seen there now is the third structure built to the design by Sylwester Pajzderski during 1920-1925. The most important building in Kalisz is The Church of St. Nicholas (in 1992 it received the status of a cathedral) with its origins dates back from the early 1200s. This is a three-nave hall church with a Gothic tower, which was expanded in the 19th century, and a chancel covered with a 16th century lierne vault. The church interior features mainly Baroque style furnishings. The main altar is a reconstruction of an older structure dating from 1662 which was de-
Kalisz Kalisz is the second largest city in Wielkopolska in terms of its population (107,000). In Roman times the Amber Road passed through the territory currently occupied by the town. It is believed that Calisia, which in the mid second century was mentioned in Geographia by the Greek astronomer and mathematician Claudius Ptolemy from Alexandria is indeed Kalisz. Kalisz began at Zawodzie, today the south-eastern part of the town. This is where a tribal settlement was established, and was followed by a gord in the early period of the Piast dynasty. In the 13th century the medieval Kalisz was located in a different place. Today the area of the old fortified settlement holds an archaeological reserve called “Piast Gord in Kalisz” (Kaliski gród Piastów) with relics of the collegiate church of St. Paul erected by Duke Mieszko III in the second half of the 1100s, as well as replicas of old buildings.
Basilica in Kalisz, photo: Archive of the Town Office in Kalisz, M. Hertmann
stroyed by fire in 1973. It contains an image of the Descent from the Cross; the original painting made in the Antwerp studio of Peter Paul Rubens was probably destroyed by fire and its copy was executed by Bronisław Owczarek. At Św. Józefa Square we can see the Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, dating from the 13th century, once a collegiate church and since 1978 holding the status of basilica minor. The three-nave basilica-type interior holds magnificent Baroque and Rococo furnishings. The late Gothic altarpiece dating from ca. 1496 is the largest among the 17 preserved altars in Poland which were created in the workshop of the Master from Gościszowice. The Gothic image „Madonna ab igne” is placed in the Classicist main altar which is the dominant feature of the 14th century chancel. It is commonly called the collegiate church of St. Joseph, by reference to the patron saint of Kalisz and his representation is included in the image of the Holy Family (from 1670) which can be seen in the chapel of St. Joseph. In 1768 the painting was recognized for its miraculous powers and in 1796 it was ornamented with a crown. The relics of the Blessed Jolenta, who was announced the patron of Wielkopolska in 1880, are resting in a silver coffin in the Franciscan Church. This Gothic Church of St. Stanislaus was erected in the 1200s. Today in its interiors we can mainly see Baroque and Rococo furnishings, and particularly noteworthy is the pulpit in the shape of St. Peter’s fishing boat. While the churches in Kalisz with their origins go back to the Middle Ages and times of the Renaissance, the most magnificent secular edifices here were built or significantly altered in the Classicist style after 1815, when the town became part of the Congress Poland. Many of these developments were designed by architect Sylwester Szpilowski. These include: the classicist edifice of the former voivodeship school from 1819 (today Adam Asnyk Secondary School), the old palace of the Pułaski family at No. 4, Kilińskiego Square (today a residential building), the former edifice of the Tribunal (today home to a court of law), the former tollbooth on the road towards Wrocław, at the end of Śródmiejska St., and the Alexandrian stone bridge on the Prosna river. The constructors of Wojciech Bogusławski Theatre, one of the most distinctive edifices of Kalisz, were also inspired by Classicism when they were building it during 1919-1936 to the design by Czesław Przybylski. The
Wojciech Bogusławski Theatre in Kalisz, photo: Archive of the Town Office in Kalisz
edifice is located ont the outskirts of one of the oldest municipal parks in Poland, dating from 1798 and modelled after English parks.
friend of Poles we can see Church of the Holy Cross. Formerly a Lutheran church, its Baroque structure was built in the early 1700s to the design by Pompeo Ferrari; its main altar represents Classicist style. Next to the church there is a lapidary containing Protestant tombstones and obelisks from the 17th to the 19th century. A nearby former vicarage from the first half of the 18th century today holds the District Museum. The same museum also owns the old synagogue building from 1625, which today is home to the Art Gallery, with its permanent exposition entitled “Jewish People in Leszno”. At Kościuszki Square we can see the former residence of the Sułkowski family, owners of Leszno. The two-storey Baroque palace was designed by Pompeo Ferrari, and reconstructed in the mid1700s by Karol Martin Frantz. Today it is home to the District authorities.
Konin Konin, the third largest city of Wielkopolska with a population of 83,500, consists of two completely different parts. Old Konin, on the left bank of the Warta river, has retained its medieval urban layout with the centrally located town square (today Wolności Square). It is lined with 19th century houses and the most distinctive among these is the former seat of the district authorities from 1828, today also holding the main office of the city authorities. The oldest building at No.16, Wolności Sq. is the house of Jan Zemełka – built in the late 16th and early 17th century by this outstanding physician, and then altered in the late 19th and early 20th century. The classicist Town Hall from the late 18th and early 19th century stands at the crossroads of 3 Maja and Wiosny Ludów Streets. The two-storey building with a trapezoid floor plan features a façade with four Doric columns supporting a triangular tympanum with the city’s coat of arms. In the past the Jewish quarter used to occupy a part of Old Konin. The only remains which can still be seen today are the buildings
Mile post in Konin, photo: A. Łącki
of the synagogue and the Talmudic school both built in the 1830s. Since 2011 they have been privately owned. One of the oldest historic monuments of Konin is the Gothic church of St. Bartholomew. This three-nave basilica-type building was erected in the late 14th and early 15th century. A Gothic chapel adjoining the chancel was added in the 15th century. A Renaissance style chapel built in 1607 was founded by Jan Zemełka. The church furnishings represent various styles ranging from Gothic to Rococo. The church was embellished with polychromes in 1904-1910 by Eligiusz Niewiadomski, who many years later assassinated Gabriel Narutowicz, the first president of independent Poland. In front of the church we can see Poland’s oldest road sign – a sandstone pole of 252 cm, with a Latin inscription carved in capital letters and informing that the pole was built in 1151 in the middle of the road linking Kalisz and Kruszwica. In the northern part of Konin, near Lake Gosławskie we can see a Gothic castle built during 1418-26 by the owner of the village of Gosławice Andrzej Łaskarz Gosławski, chancellor of Queen Jadwiga and Bishop of Poznań. Altered in the 1800s and later devastated, the palace was restored in the 1980s and today is home to the District Museum. In Gosławice we can also see the Gothic church of St. Andrew the Apostle with the floor plan based on the Greek cross. In the middle of the octagonal central part of the church there is a tall stone pillar supporting palm-tree vaulting. The interior furnishings represent neo-Gothic style.
Town Hall in Konin, photo: A. Łącki
Interior of the church of St. Nicolas in Leszno, photo: Archive of Leszno-Region Tourist Organization
Leszno A historical urban complex with a grid street plan and the Town Square located in the middle constitutes the centre of today’s Leszno. The Town Hall erected in 1637-39 and altered in accordance with Baroque trends in the 18th century is the highlight of the city. The Town Square is surrounded with Baroque houses. In the vicinity we can see the town parish church of St. Nicholas, one of the most magnificent Baroque buildings in Wielkopolska. Mentioned in historical sources as early as 1410, during the times of the Reformation for over one hundred years it was used by the Bohemian Brethren. Destroyed during the Swedish Deluge it was rebuilt in the second half of the 17th century following the design by Jan Catenazzi. Within the splendid Baroque interiors the most noteworthy features include two tombstones of the Leszczyński brothers: Bogusław, the Bishop (deceased in 1691) and Rafał (d. in 1703), the General Governor of Wielkopolska, the Grand Treasurer of the Crown and father of King Stanisław Leszczyński. Both tombstones were probably designed by Pompeo Ferrari. Before the Bohemian Brethren returned Church of St. Nicholas to the Catholics in 1661, they had acquired their own house of prayer which was built in 1652-1654. The late Gothic structure with a tall tower and Baroquestyle interior in 1714-1716 was restored from ruin and today holds Church of St. John the Baptist. At the Square named after Jan Metzig (1804-1868) a German physician and a great
Town Hall in Leszno, photo: Archive of the Leszno-Region Tourist Organization
Old Market Square in Chodzież, photo: Archive of the Town Office in Chodzież
ing the 17th and 18th century. Of notice here are the Renaissance-style tombs located in the lateGothic chapel of the Czarnkowski family. Also at Wolności Square there is the Town Hall built in eclectic style in the mid 1800s, and reconstructed in 1999-2000. Other historic houses representing eclectic and Art Nouveau styles can be seen at Staromiejska, Sikorskiego and Rybaki streets. Approximately 6 km south west of Czarnków, in the middle of the forest there is a castle called Goraj, modelled after the Renaissance-style Varenholz castle in Westphalia, and built in 1910-12 by the Hochberg family. Currently it holds the dormitory of Jan Kloska School of Forestry.
Chodzież Municipal rights were granted to Chodzież in 1434 by King Władysław Jagiełło. Presently a castle was built near the lake – its only remnants today are fragments of its outer walls. On the other hand the medieval urban layout with a centrally located town square has been maintained. Here we can see an originally Gothic church of St. Florian, later reconstructed and appointed with Baroque furnishings. In the 17th and 18th century the town was a thriving centre of cloth making. At Kościuszki and Wojska Polskiego streets we can still see weavers’ houses dating from the late 18th and early 19th century, and at the Town Square and its proximity there are eclectic and Art Nouveau style houses from the late 19th and early 20th century. Surrounded with forests and picturesque lakes, Chodzież became a popular leisure centre during the interwar period.
Church of St. Mary Magdalene in Czarnków, photo: Archive of the Town Office in Czarnków
Baldassare Longhena and the construction was conducted by Georgio Catenazzi and his son Giovanni; later the works were continued by Pompeo Ferrari, who is credited with the construction of the chancel and the 50-metre tall dome as well as the monastery buildings. The works were completed ca. 1728. Święta Góra is a renowned sanctuary and visitors come here in large numbers. One of the attractions of the place is the image of Our Lady of Święta Góra – the Rosa Mistica dating
from 1540, executed on a wood board and recognized for its miraculous powers. The Gostyń parish church of St. Margaret was erected in the 1400s in the Gothic style; in the early 16th century a vestibule and Chapel Basilica and monastery at Święta Góra, photo: Archive of the District Office in Gostyń, D. Górny
Gostyń District Głogówek near Gostyń Even though it is located outside the administrative borders of Gostyń (1.5 km east of the town centre, in the village of Głogówek) Święta Góra (Holy Mountain) and the Baroque church of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary and of St. Philip Neri makes Gostyń famous throughout Poland and abroad. The construction of the church was initiated in 1675 by Father Stanisław Grudowicz, the founder of the local Oratory of Saint Philip Neri. The building modelled after Santa Maria della Salute in Venice was designed by the Italian architect
Czarnków-Trzcianka District Czarnków In the historic town centre, at Wolności Square we can see the Gothic church of St. Mary Magdalene built in 1570-80, and expanded dur-
by Roger Sławski, holds a copy of the painting entitled The Resurrection of Piotrowin, by Szymon Czechowicz – the original is in the Poznań parish church.
body of the building and holds a two-storey entrance hall. Merlons crowning the structure and the neo-Gothic ornaments add to the unique style of the building. Today the place is home to a library. Originally Gothic, the Church of St. Martin was reconstructed in the 1700s in Baroque style, and in the 19th century a tower was added to it. We can also see here remnants of another Gothic structure, the Church of the Holy Spirit. Built in the early 16th century it fell into ruin in the first half of the 1800s; its remains include outer walls with buttresses and lancet windows.
Jarocin District Jarocin
Wielkopolska Museum of Fire-fighting and arcaded houses in Rakoniewice, photo: Archive of the Town and Commune Office in Rakoniewice
of St. Anne were added. Inside the chapel covered with a late Gothic lierne vault there is a late Renaissance altar with a 16th century sculpture of the Virgin and Child with St. Anne.
church there is the oldest building in Grodzisk – a late-Renaissance organist’s house from 1658. We can also see here the Baroque church of the Name of Jesus and the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary (formerly used by Bernardine monks) as well as a neo-Gothic church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus from 1910-1912 (formerly an evangelical house of prayer).
Grodzisk District Grodzisk Wielkopolski In Grodzisk, which for a few centuries was known for its breweries, we can still see traces of historical urban establishments; the remnants of the medieval layout can be found in the area of the Old Town Square and those from the late 16th century – in the vicinity of Powstańców Wielkopolskich Square. They are connected by Szeroka Street. In the city centre there is the Old Town Square with the 19th century Town Hall and the well of Father Bernard from Wąbrzeźno, as well as a sculpture of this 16th century Benedictine monk; according to legend, thanks to his blessing water sprang again from the previously dried out well. West of the town square we can see the church of St. Hedwig, from the first half of the 15th century, which was reconstructed in the Mannerist style by Krzysztof Bonadura Starszy in the first half of the 17th century. Next to the
Historical sources mention the town of Jarocin as early as 1257. Today its centre is occupied by the Town Square with the Town Hall which was erected in the late 18th and early 19th century, and altered in 1854. At present it is also home to the District Museum, which formerly was located in the Skarbczyk – remnants of a medieval castle. In 2001 Skarbczyk was thoroughly restored and now, still owned by the District Museum, holds a gallery. Within a large 30-hectare park designed by Peter Lenné, who is also credited with Potsdam gardens, we can see a palace dating from the mid 1800s. It was designed by Friedrich August Stüller in a style of neo-Gothic English mansion and built for Władysław Radoliński, who owned Jarocin at the time. The palace, slightly altered in the early 20th century, has an interesting shape – its central part is higher than the main
Żerków The town of Żerków, first mentioned in historical sources as early as 1257, is located in an area of moraine hills which, for their beauty, are sometimes called Żerkowska Switzerland. The Baroque Church of St. Stanislaus was built in the early 1700s presumably to the design by Giovanni Catenazzi. The noteworthy Radoliński Family Palace in Jarocin, photo: Archive of the Town Office in Jarocin
Rakoniewice is famous mainly for beautiful half-timbered houses from the 18th century. At the Town Square we can still see four arcaded houses (including an old pastor’s house and an inn, later holding a smithy). Nearby there is also a former Evangelical church. Even though it was originally built as a half-timbered structure in the 17th century, when the settlement was granted municipal rights, it was again built practically from scratch in 1763; a tower crowned with a bulbous cupola was added 18 years later. Today it is home to Wielkopolska Museum of Fire-fighting. The Church of St. Martin and St. Stanislaus from the late 18th and early 19th century, reconstructed in the 20th century to the design
Church of St. Stanislaus in Żerków, photo: Archive of the Town and Commune Office in Żerków Salt mine in Kłodawa, photo: Archive of Wielkopolska Tourist Organization, Sz. Kaczmarek
features of its interior include polychromes ornamenting the dome painted by Adam Swach. However the most interesting thing here is the adjoining late Renaissance Chapel of the Blessed Mother, which is a rare example of this type of architecture in Wielkopolska. It was built one hundred years earlier than the church, and was designed as a tomb chapel of the Roszkowski family, who owned this area at the time.
Koło District Kłodawa Today the town’s main attraction is the Underground Tourist Route created in the operating Kłodawa Salt Mine. It opened in 2004 and was entered into the heritage register in 2007. The visitors programme includes a presentation discussing the history of the local deposits of rock salt - white and the extremely rare pink variations of the mineral, which formed during the Zechstein period (over 200 million years ago) as a result of the evaporation of seas and oceans. Then visitors are taken down to the mine by an elevator (speed of 6m/s). At 600 metres below ground, they follow the corridors to the subterranean chapel of St. Kinga, and along the way they can see empty salt chambers, machines used in the mine as well as other unique features of salt mining. The mine was entered into the Guinness Book of Records in the category for the “deepest concert underground” after the Symphonic Orchestra of Kalisz performed a concert here at 600 metres underground on 20 April 2007.
The history of Kłodawa goes back to the 11th century. Its most valuable landmarks include the churches of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary and of St. Fabian and St. Sebastian. The former is a late Baroque structure erected in the mid 1700s and inside we can see Rococo furnishings (e.g. the main altar with a painting of Our Lady of the Scapular, choir stalls in the chancel and a boat-shaped pulpit). The log church of St. Fabian and St. Sebastian, standing within a parish cemetery, dates from the 16th century. Particularly noteworthy in its interior is the sculpture of Virgin and Child with St. Anne, from the mid 1500s.
altars the most noteworthy is the late Gothic triptych from 1507 executed in the workshop of the Master from Gościszowice. Other landmarks of Kościan include the neo-Baroque church of Our Lord Jesus Christ with a Baroque main altar from 1700 with a late Gothic crucifix from the first half of the 1500s surrounded with votive offerings; as well as the Church of the Holy Spirit, which was founded along with a hospital in 1385, yet its present structure dates from the second half of the 15th century (it was also reconstructed in the 1600s).
The castle in Rydzyna ranks among the most splendid aristocratic residences in Poland.The foundations and walls of a medieval castle were used for its construction in the late 17th century. The Baroque edifice consisting of four wings surrounding the inner courtyard was erected to the design by Józef Szymon Belotti, yet its present form is a result of alteration works carried out three times during the 18th century by Pompeo Ferrari, Karl Martin Frantz and Ignacy Graff. The Leszczyński family owned the castle until 1738, and later it was the property of the Sułkowski family until the early 20th century. The most impressive of all its magnificent rooms is the ballroom with 22 monumental columns. The whole town of Rydzyna has the
The remains of the medieval urban layout of Kościan can still be seen on a small island surrounded by arms of the Obra river. In its centre there is a town square with a town hall from the mid-1800s and houses dating from the 17th, 18th and early 19th century. West of the square we can also see remnants of old defensive walls (approx. 80 metres long) from the late 14th and early 15th century. The most impressive feature inside the Gothic parish church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary from the first half of the 1300s is the main altar from 1620. Its three-tier structure, representing late Renaissance style, is amply decorated with carvings. Among the side
Castle in Rydzyna, photo: Z. Moliński
Parish church in Kościan, photo: Archive of the District Office in Kościan
status of a historical monument. One of its most unique features is a Baroque-style layout of streets connecting the town with the landowners’ estate. The latter, beside the castle, included a large park, and a number of annex buildings. The central part of this urban layout starts at the town square (with the town hall from 1752 and a figure of the Holy Trinity from 1761) and leads across the bridge over a canal to the castle. Around the town square we can see 18th and 19th century Baroque and neo-Baroque tenement houses, and north-east of the Square there is the Baroque church of St. Stanislaus.
Międzychód District Międzychód Even though today they constitute a single town of Międzychód, we can clearly see here three distinctive parts: the settlement which received municipal rights before 1400, the socalled new town dating from the 16th century as well as the former suburb of Lipowiec. The oldest part of Międzychód, between the Warta and Miejskie Lake, has retained a “spindle-shaped” layout of streets with a town square in the middle. Both ends of the “spindle” are starting points of narrow streets with single-storey houses (some of them dating from the late 18th and early 19th century) covered with semi-gable roofs. Next to the Town Square we can see the late-Gothic church of the Martyrdom of St. John the Baptist. Inside the church, which was reconstructed in the
Church of the Martyrdom of St. John the Baptist in Międzychód, photo: Archive of the Town and Commune Office in Międzychód Sacrophags of the Opaliński family in the Museum – Opaliński Family Castle in Sieraków, photo: Z. Schmidt
18th and 19th century, there are predominantly Baroque furnishings. Nearby we can also see a healing water spring, which in 1912 was framed with decorative cast iron housing. At Piłsudskiego St. (formerly Lipo����� wiec), lined with lime trees, there is the formerly Evangelical church of Immaculate Heart of Mary in which we can see the original tombstone of Krzysztof Unrug, a Governor of Wałcz and Gniezno, who died in in 1689. The historical so-called new town spreads around Kościuszki Square. In its central part we can see a monumental oak (girth of 450 cm), and around the square there are 19th century single-storey houses. In the vicinity, we can visit the former town hall today holding the Regional Museum with historical and ethnographic collections.
Descent from the Cross painted in the studio of Peter Paul Rubens. The church in Sieraków in the past held a mausoleum of the Opaliński family. In 1983 five sarcophagi dating from the 1600s were retrieved from a crypt which had been accidentally discovered under the church. After restoration works they were placed in the Opaliński Museum located in the old family castle which was reconstructed in the 1990s. In the museum we can also learn about the history of Sieraków and about Sierakowski Landscape Reserve.
Nowy Tomyśl District Nowy Tomyśl
Nowy Tomyśl was established in 1786 around an Evangelical church which had existed there earlier (today: the Church of the Heart of Jesus). This used to be the main trading centre for the nearby Hauländer villages. In the vicinity of Nowy Tomyśl we can still see numerous wooden crofts and a landscape which was created by Hauländer settlers three hundred years ago and today is practically unchanged. In the centre of Nowy Tomyśl there are two squares, today named Chopina and Niepodległości, which are linked by Mickiewicza Street. There are a few dozen historical houses dating from the mid 19th and early 20th century. At Chopina Sq. we can see a post-Evangelical church, and at Niepodległości Sq. an eclectic-
Founded by the Opaliński family who acquired Sieraków in the late 1500s, the church of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary was erected in the first half of the 17th century. One of the most interesting examples of late Renaissance in Poland, it was designed by Krzysztof Bonadura Starszy. The building with a floor plan of a cross is crowned with a dome over its central part. The imposing façade with two towers was added in 1740. Inside the church we can see Renaissance furnishings (e.g. choir stalls ornamented with intarsia) and early Baroque ornaments. The monumental high altar holds an image depicting
Church of St. James in Murowana Goślina, photo: Archive of the Town and Commune Office in Murowana Goślina
Museum of Basketry and Hop Growing in Nowy Tomyśl, photo: Archive of the Town and Commune Office in Nowy Tomyśl, M. Kortus
style town hall from 1879 and the world’s largest wicker basket listed in The Guinness Book of World Records. Here starts a tourist trail called “A Walk along the Wicker Promenade” (with numerous attractions made of wicker), which leads across the town and park to the Museum of Basketry and Hop Growing.
Oborniki District Oborniki Although Oborniki received municipal rights before 1330 today there are no traces of the old history of the town. The 15th century Gothic parish Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary was rebuilt after fires in the 18th and early 19th century. Even younger, dating from 1900, is the neo-Gothic Church of St. Joseph (formerly an Evangelical house of prayer). The most interesting thing of note here is the timber-frame Church of the Holy Cross dating from 1766. Built as a post-and-beam structure, the church contains late-Baroque furnishings, and the crucifix in the main altar dates from the 1500s.
Rogoźno In history Rogoźno is remembered as the place where on 8 February 1296 King Przemysł II was assassinated as a result of a plot organized by the Brandenburg rulers. Today the place retains
urban layouts of two historical towns, from the 1200s, and from the late 1700s. The northern part of Rogoźno, spreading around Powstańców Wielkopolskich Square occupies the location of the former medieval town. The centre of the “new town” is at Marcinkowskiego Square. In the older part we can see the late Gothic Church of St. Vitus - a three-nave structure dating from 1526 with a neo-Gothic vestibule added in the 19th century. In the younger part of Rogoźno, at Marcinkowskiego Sq. there is the late Classicist Church of the Holy Spirit built in 1808-1817 (originally an Evangelical house of prayer). The old Classicist Town Hall from the early 19th century is home to the Regional Museum.
Poznań District Murowana Goślina The first references to Murowana Goślina date from the mid-1300s, yet archeological findings dated to the 10th and 11th century show that a settlement was here much earlier. It is assumed that it was granted municipal rights in the times of King Władysław Jagiełło. Its long history can be seen in the Gothic Church of St. James the Apostle. Erected in the late 15th and early 16th century, the building was later reconstructed many times therefore its original structure changed significantly. In the early 18th century a chancel was added to the eastern nave, presumably following the design by Pompeo Fer-
rari. During subsequent reconstruction works in 1831, a stone tower (which had been erected for the first wooden church) was dismantled and slabs obtained were incorporated into the new western wall of the church. It was then that a 16th century epitaph stone in memory of Urszula Ostroróg Potulicka was mounted in the southern wall. Another landmark worth visiting in Murowana Goślina is the post-Evangelical Church of the Holy Spirit built in the late 18th and early 19th century in Classicist style.
which can still be seen here include a late Gothic sculpture of Vir Dolorum dated to ca. 1500 which is placed in the main altar, as well as a Renaissance-style Pièta from the late 16th century. You can learn about the history of Wronki while visiting the Regional Museum located in a 19th century granary. Another noteworthy place here is the prison - an imposing complex of red brick buildings, which at the time of its construction ranked among the most modern correctional facilities.
Located at the edge of the forest of Wielkopolska National Park, the town of Puszczykowo with its green spaces is like a large garden. It became renowned in the late 19th and early 20th century and then in the interwar period as a popular leisure centre. The most valuable landmarks representing villa-type architecture and dating from those times, as well as the wooden train station built in 1911 in Puszczykówko have been entered into the heritage register. Enthusiasts of exotic journeys are drawn to Puszczykowo by the Arkady Fiedler Literary Museum which has been organized in the writer’s old home by his sons - Arkady Radosław and Marek. Near the museum we can see the sonamed Garden of Tolerance with accurate copies of monuments representing various cultures. The only collection of this type in Europe, it holds replicas of such landmarks as the Gate of the Sun from Bolivia, Moai figures from Easter Island, the statue of Buddha (scale 1:9) which in 2001 was destroyed by the Taliban in Afghanistan, the Pyramid of Cheops (scale 1:23) as well as Santa Maria, a ship of Christopher Columbus (scale 1:1).
Stanisław Staszic Museum in Piła, photo: Archive of the District Office in Piła
the Germans in 1929-30. A remarkable example of avant-garde architecture of those times, it was designed by German artists connected with Bauhaus and is one of the earliest constructivist-style structures. It was built from concrete and ferroconcrete to the design by Hans Herkommer, and its main altar holds an over 7-metre tall crucifix sculpted by Berthold Müller. Of particular significance in the history of Piła was a large 19th century villa at No. 7, Browarna St. From 1934 until the outbreak of WWII it was home to the Polish Consulate in the German border province called Poznań – West Prussia; Piła became part of this province after the First World War. Today the building houses the District Museum. In the vicinity we can also visit the Stanisław Staszic Museum which is located in a restored house formerly owned by the Staszic family.
In the mid-15th century the Szamotulski family built a fortified castle, which was later expanded and from 1511 until the end of the 16th century was in the hands of the Górka family. The new owners transformed it into a grand lateGothic residence. After subsequent alterations and years of deterioration the building regained its Gothic features as a result of restoration works in the 1970-80s. Today it is home to the Museum of the Górka Family Castle, where we can see magnificent interiors, expositions depicting the
Even though its history goes back to the first half of the 1400s, Piła does not have many relics of the past. The town, transformed into a fortification in 1945, was designed to provide protection to the approaches of the Pomeranian Wall. As a result of warfare it was one of the most severely damaged cities of Wielkopolska. Therefore the sparse historical landmarks are particularly valuable. Especially noteworthy is the Church of St. Anthony erected by
Dolsk Franciscan church and monastery in Wronki, photo: Archive of the City and Commune Office in Wronki
The beginnings of Dolsk go back to the 1100s. Initially it was an estate of the Gniezno Archbishops and from the 13th until the end of the 18th century it was owned by Poznań Bishops. Three churches bear witness to its history. The oldest is the parish Church of St. Michael the Archangel, erected ca. 1460. One of the most valuable late Gothic churches in Wielkopolska, it is a three-nave, hall-type structure covered with lierne vault. From the south it is adjoined by the Gothic chapel of St. Anne, and a late Renaissance chapel added in the early 17th century. The richly ornamented main altar with the image of the Coronation of the Virgin also represents late Renaissance style. Near the church you can see a late Baroque rectory from the mid 18th century, one of the most beautiful in Wielkopolska. Ranking among the oldest structures of this type in the region, the log Church of the Holy Spirit, erected in 1618, contains mainly original furnishings dating from the time of its construction. The third church in Dolsk is devoted to St. Lawrence and dates from 1685. This is a modest, single-nave Baroque church, and the notable features of its interior include two 17th century images depicting the patron saint.
history of Szamotuły as well as a large collection of icons. The remnants of the old fortified establishment include parts of the moat and earthworks as well as Halszka’s Tower from the first half of the 1400s, which today holds exhibition rooms. Its name makes a reference to the unfortunate wife of Łukasz Górka, the Voivode of Poznań. A legend has it that the Voivode married Halszka against her will, and because he was unable to win her heart he imprisoned her in the castle tower.
Wronki The first historical references to Wronki date from the mid-1200s. At that time it was a royal estate. Over the following centuries it was a private property and its owners changed a number of times. In 1279 Dominican monks were brought to Wronki by Duke Przemysł II and they stayed here until the 19th century when their monastery was closed by the Prussians. Their traces here include the Baroque Church of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary from the first half of the 17th century (designed by Krzysztof Bonadura Starszy); just like the monastery it has been owned by the Franciscan order since 1868. The oldest landmark here is the Gothic Church of St. Catherine, dating from the late 1400s. Its interior was significantly altered during reconstruction works after a fire destroyed the church in the mid-17th century. Old furnishings
Śrem Śrem was granted municipal rights in 1253. In the times when Poland was under foreign authority (late 18th- early 20th century) the town was one of major centres of national life in Wielkopolska. The late-medieval urban layout of Śrem has been maintained on an island surrounded by the arms of the Warta river and an old river bed.
Post-Cistercian church and monastery in Wągrowiec, photo: Archive of the Town Office in Wągrowiec Robert Koch Museum in Wolsztyn, photo: Archive of the Town Office inWolsztyn
In its centre there is a former market square today called 20 Października Sq. with 19th century tenement houses and a town hall. The most important historic landmark of Śrem is the late-Gothic parish Church of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary with a tower crowned with an early Baroque cupola. Its interior has retained a lierne vault over the nave and chancel as well as Baroque furnishings. On the other hand, the formerly Franciscan Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary is a Baroque hall-type structure, with Baroque and Rococo furnishings. Particularly noteworthy are its Rococo choir stalls and a pulpit in the shape of Peter’s fishing boat from 1817.
The 19th century town hall today is home to the Weaving Art Museum. Following recently conducted restoration works it also contains an exposition devoted to the life and work of Józef Mehoffer. This outstanding representative of the artistic movement called Young Poland created interior decorations in the neo-Gothic Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, which was built to the design by Konstanty and Jarosław Wojciechowski during 1904-13. Works contributed by Mehoffer include the polychromes (restored recently thanks to EU funds), stained-glass windows, paintings of Our Lady of Częstochowa and St. Stanisław Kostka as well as Stations of the Cross painted during 1933–1939. In 2009 a sculpture (by Maja Brzyska) depicting Józef Mehoffer sitting on a bench was unveiled here. Additionally, Turek has adopted a promotional slogan which says this is a “City in the spirit of Mehoffer” (in Polish: “miasto w klimacie Mehoffera”).
Turek District Turek Turek was for the first time mentioned by historical sources in 1136. It received municipal rights in 1341 from Archbishop Jarosław Skotnicki and until 1796 it was a property of Gniezno archbishops. After 1815, when it became part of Congress Poland, it rapidly developed into a well-known centre of cloth making. Today at Kaliska and Żeromskiego streets we can still see a valuable complex of weavers’ houses from 1826, and in the city centre a regular layout of streets lined with two-storey 19th century houses.
Wągrowiec District Wągrowiec The history of Wągrowiec, from its beginning until 1796, was linked with the Cistercians. In the late 1300s they initiated efforts to
relocate their seat from Łekno to Wągrowiec, and they started the construction of their church and monastery here. The church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary was completed ca. 1455, and the monastery in 1512. Yet, the original Gothic church is no longer there. In the late 1600s Giovanni Catenazzi rebuilt it in Baroque style. The three-wing monastery building with a garth adjoins the church from the south. The parish Church of St. James the Apostle was also founded by Cistercians; it was consecrated in 1575. Apart from the vestibule, which was added in 1911, the building has been preserved in its original condition and is one of the most valuable religious landmarks in Wielkopolska. This is a Gothic church with typical eastward orientation; it was built of brick and features early Renaissance gables. Its interior retains furnishings from various periods, in style ranging from late Renaissance to Rococo. Adjoining the chancel is the uniquely beautiful Chapel of Our Lady of the Rosary from 1586. In the early 20th century Renaissance polychromes were uncovered on its ceiling. In front of the church we can see the bust of Father Jakub Wujek. Born in Wągrowiec, he was an outstanding biblical scholar and was the first to translate the Bible into Polish. Cistercian landmarks which can still be seen in Wągrowiec include a former abbot’s house – today home to the Regional Museum.
fan Mycielski, who owned Wolsztyn at the time. Today it houses a hotel as well as a spa & wellness centre. Within the English-style park Marcin Rożek sculpted heads of Medusa and Faun on one of the oaks, and after the tree dried out the fragment with the bas-reliefs was brought to the museum devoted to the artist, which is located in the villa at No. 34, 5 Stycznia Street. The same building holds the Regional Museum in Wolsztyn, which in addition to the Marcin Rożek Museum comprises the Museum of Robert Koch (1905 Nobel Prize winner) as well as the Open-Air Ethnographic Museum of Western Wielkopolska. Interestingly, in Wolsztyn there is the only operating steam locomotive depot in Europe with approximately 30 steam engines on display.
Złotów District Złotów Written history of Złotów goes back to the 14th century when the settlement, at the time named Wielatów, appeared in the Chronicle by Jan of Czarnków. We do not know when it originally received municipal rights – these were reinstated in 1665. Following the first partition of Poland Złotów was under Prussian authority, and after the Treaty of Versailles it remained in Germany. It returned to Poland only after World War II. Its oldest part with the original medieval street layout spreads in the surroundings of Kościuszki Square, where in the middle we can see the former Evangelical Church of St. Stanisław Kostka built in 1829-30 to the design by Karl Friedrich Schinekl. . The town’s oldest landmark is the 17th century parish Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary erected by Krzysztof Bonadura Starszy. The interior retains uniform lateBaroque furnishings dating from the times of its construction. Other noteworthy landmarks of Złotów include gable houses from the first half of the 19th century at Obrońców Warszawy Street as well as half-timbered buildings from the late 18th century. One of these at No. 2a, Wojska Polskiego Street is home to the Museum of Złotów Region with archeological, ethnographic and historical collections.
Wolsztyn District Wolsztyn The original urban layout of Wolsztyn, dating from the 13th century was partly changed after a great fire of 1810. In the centre of the old town we can still see 19th century buildings and a town hall from 1835 in the middle of the market square. The Parish Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary dating from the second half of the 18th century is an example of late Baroque architecture, while a formerly Evangelical church now devoted to the Ascension of Our Lord and dating from the first half of the 19th century has late Classicist and neo-Romanesque features. On the shore of Lake Wolsztyńskie in the suburb called Komorowo, we can see a park with old trees; amidst these there is a palace built in 1911 to the design by Roger Sławski for Ste-
CHODZIEŻ Information about the town: www.chodziez.pl Straszny Dwór Hotel – Restaurant ul. Ujska 45, tel. 67 282 70 40, www.strasznydwor.pl Łazienki Chodzieskie ul. Łazienki Chodzieskie 1, tel. 67 282 96 56 www.lazienkichodzieskie.pl Church of St. Florian ul. Kościelna 8, 64-800 Chodzież tel. 67 282 73 82, www.florianchodziez.pl CZARNKÓW Information about the town: www.czarnkow.pl Czarna Hanka Hotel ul. Kościuszki 106, 64-700 Czarnków tel. 67 255 24 58, www.czarnahanka.pl Śmieszek Inn Śmieszkowo, ul. Wodna 13, 64-700 Czarnków tel. 67 255 10 31 Church of St. Mary Magdalene ul. Kościelna 1, 64-700 Czarnków tel. 67 255 27 02, www.mariamagdalena.czarnkow.pl Goraj Castle - Jan Kloska School of Forestry Goraj – Zamek, 64-700 Czarnków tel. 67 255 26 55, www.zsl-goraj.cil.pl DOLSK Information about the town: www.dolsk.pl Leisure Centre 63-140 Dolsk, ul. Wczasowa 13 tel. 61 282 51 14, www.osir.dolsk.pl Church of St. Michael the Archangel ul. Kościelna 1, 63-140 Dolsk tel. 61 282 55 13, www.parafia.dolsk.info.pl Branch churches of the Holy Spirit and of St. Lawrence GOSTYŃ Information about the town: www.gostyn.pl Absolwent Guest House ul. Helsztyńskiego 3, 63-800 Gostyń tel. 65 57 22 061, www.fundacja-absolwent.pl Cukropol Hotel ul. Hutnika 14, 63-800 Gostyń tel. 65 572 01 58, www.cukropol.pl Sanctuary of Our Lady of Święta Góra – the Rosa Mistica Święta Góra – Głogówko 15, 63-800 Gostyń tel. 65 572 00 14, www.filipini.gostyn.pl Church of St. Margaret ul. Przy Farze 2, 63-800 Gostyń, tel. 65 572 00 40 GRODZISK WIELKOPOLSKI Information about the town: www.grodzisk.wlkp.pl Groclin Hotel ul. Sportowa 2, 62-065 Grodzisk Wielkopolski tel. 61 44 36 200; 61 44 36 201, www.hotelgroclin.pl Motel XXI wieku ul. Poznańska 38 b, 62-065 Grodzisk Wielkopolski tel. 61 444 86 65
Church of St. Hedwig ul. Kościelna 1, 62-065 Grodzisk Wielkopolski tel. 61 444 54 45, www.jadwigagrodzisk.eu History and Tradition Exhibition Room Park Miejski, 62-065 Grodzisk Wielkopolski tel. 61 444 52 34 JAROCIN Information about the town: www.jarocin.pl Jarota Hotel ul. Sportowa 6, 63-200 Jarocin tel. 62 747 31 04, www.hoteljarocin.pl Oaza Hotel ul. Jarocińska 12, 63-200 Golina tel. 62 740 47 47, www.hotel-oaza.pl Radoliński Family Palace Biblioteka Publiczna, ul. Park 3, 63-200 Jarocin tel./fax 62 747 23 46, www.biblioteka.jarocin.pl Church of St. Martin ul. kardynała Wyszyńskiego 3, 63-200 Jarocin tel. 62 747 22 43, www.swmarcin-jarocin.com District Museum Rynek 1, 63-200 Jarocin tel. 62 747 34 49, www.muzeumjarocin.pl KALISZ Information about the town: www.kalisz.pl Europa Hotel Al. Wolności 5, 62-800 Kalisz tel./fax 62 767 20 31/33, www.hotel-europa.pl Calisia Hotel ul. Nowy Świat 1-3, 62-800 Kalisz tel. 62 767 91 00, fax 62 767 91 14, www.hotel-calisia.pl Archaeological Reserve - Piast Gord in Kalisz ul. Bolesława Pobożnego 87-105, 62-800 Kalisz tel. 62 757 16 08 (museum) tel. 691 99 65 28 (reserve), www.muzeum.kalisz.pl Cathedral of St. Nicholas ul. Kanonicka 5, 62-800 Kalisz tel. 62 757 59 74, www.katedra.kalisz.pl Basilica of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary pl. św. Józefa 7, 62-800 Kalisz tel. 62 757 58 22, www.swietyjozef.kalisz.pl Wojciech Bogusławski Theatre pl. Bogusławskiego 1,62-800 Kalisz tel. 62 760 53 00, www.teatr.kalisz.pl KŁODAWA Information about the town: www.klodawa.wlkp.pl; www.klodawa.eu Dom Górnika Hotel 62-650 Kłodawa, ul. 3 Maja 1 tel. 63 273 35 54, www.sol-klodawa.com.pl Underground Tourist Route Tourist Service of Salt Mine „Kłodawa” S.A. Aleja 1000-lecia 2, 62-650 Kłodawa tel. 63 273 33 04, www.sol-klodawa.com.pl
Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary ul. Włocławska 2, 62-650 Kłodawa tel. 63 27 24 712, www.klodawaparafia.org KONIN Information about the town: www.konin.pl Pałacyk Hotel Aleje 1 Maja 15A, 62-510 Konin tel. 63 245 77 77, www.hotel-konin.com School Youth Hostel ul. Staffa 5, 62-505 Konin - Gosławice tel./ fax 63 242 72 35 www.schronisko-goslawice.pl Lisewo Palace 62-560 Skulsk tel. 63 268 21 14 - reception tel. 663 888 89, www.palacyklisewo.pl Church of St. Bartholomew ul. Kościelna 1, 62-505 Konin tel. 63 242 87 48, www.bartlomiej.konin.pl Church of St. Andrew the Apostle ul. Gosławicka 38, 62-505 Konin, tel. 63 242 75 83 District Museum ul. Muzealna 6, 62-505 Konin tel. 63 242 75 99, fax 63 242 74 31 www.muzeum.com.pl KOŚCIAN Information about the town: www.koscian.pl U Dudziarza Inn Skwer Krimpen 1, 64-000 Kościan, tel. 65 512 12 55 Świtezianka Motel ul. Śmigielska 64, 64-000 Kościan tel. 65 512 78 67, www.switezianka.koscian.net KWILCZ Olandia Hotel Prusim 5, 64-420 Kwilcz tel. 61 29 15 379, 608 467 367, www.olandia.pl Parish Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary ul. Kościelna 1, 64-000 Kościan tel. 65 511 91 57, www.farakoscian.pl LESZNO Information about the town: www.leszno.pl Akwawit Conference and Recreation Centre ul. św. Józefa 5, 64-100 Leszno tel. 65 529 37 81, fax 65 529 37 82, www.akwawit.pl Wieniawa Hotel ul. Rynek 29, 64-100 Leszno tel. 65 528 50 50, www.wieniawa.pl Church of St. Nicholas ul. Kościelna 18, 64-100 Leszno tel. 65 520 25 75, www.kolegiata.leszno.pl Church of the Holy Cross pl. Metziga 19, 64-100 Leszno tel. 65 529 91 56, www.krzyz.leszno.pl
District Museum pl. Metziga 17, 64-100 Leszno tel. 65 529 61 40, www.muzeum.leszno.pl MIĘDZYCHÓD Information about the town: www.miedzychod.pl Neptun Hotel ul. Słoneczna 8, 64-400 Międzychód, tel. 95 748 23 41 Monika Inn Gorzyń 24, 64-400 Międzychód tel. 95 748 26 14, www.zajazdmonika.ovh.org Church of the Martyrdom of St. John the Baptist ul. 17 Stycznia 71, 64-400 Międzychód,tel. 95 748 26 66 www.parafia_miedzychod.republika.pl Church of Immaculate Heart of Mary ul. Piłsudskiego 27, 64-400 Międzychód tel. 95 748 34 69, www.nsmmiedzychod.pl Regional Museum Branch of Public Library ul. 17 Stycznia 100, 64-400 Międzychód tel. 95 748 2701, www.muzeum-miedzychod.pl MUROWANA GOŚLINA Information about the town: www.murowana-goslina.pl Relax Hotel ul. Poznańska 47, 62-095 Murowana Goślina tel. 61 812 22 11, www.relax.poznan.pl Palace in Boduszewo Boduszewo 16, 62-095 Murowana Goślina tel. 61 892 22 11, www.boduszewo.pl Church of St. James the Apostle plac Powstańców Wielkopolskich 21 62-095 Murowana Goślina, tel. 61 812 21 08 Branch Church of the Holy Spirit Church NOWE MIASTO NAD WARTĄ Hermanów 1, 63-040 Nowe Miasto nad Wartą tel. 607 42 66 64, 603 20 66 64, www.hermanow.pl NOWY TOMYŚL Information about the town: www.nowytomysl.pl Atrium Hotel pl. Chopina 18, 64-300 Nowy Tomyśl tel. 061/ 44 21 870, www.centrum-atrium.pl Kopernik Hotel ul. Tysiąclecia 6, 64-300 Nowy Tomyśl tel. 61 442 24 51, www.hotel-kopernik.com.pl Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus pl. Chopina 10a, 64-300 Nowy Tomyśl tel. 61 442 20 89, www.parafia-nspj.pl Museum of Basketry and Hop Growing ul. Topolowa 10, 64-300 Nowy Tomyśl tel. 61 442 23 11, www.muzeum-szreniawa.pl OBORNIKI Information about the town: www.oborniki.pl Doris Hotel ul. 11 Listopada 10a, 64-600 Oborniki tel./fax 61 296 09 66, www.hotel-doris.pl
Millenium Hotel ul. Mostowa 1, 64-600 Oborniki tel. 61 646 47 47, www.millenium.net.pl Church of the Holy Cross ul. Droga Leśna 60, 64-600 Oborniki tel. 61 296 01 61; 297 00 95, www.milosierdzie.com PIŁA Information about the town: www.pila.pl Gromada Hotel al. Piastów 15, 64-920 Piła tel. 67 351 18 00, www.gromada.pila.pl Park Guest House ul. Fryderyka Chopina 1, 64-920 Piła tel. 67 210 89 20, www.pensjonatpark.pila.pl Church of St. Anthony ul. Ludowa 20, 64-920 Piła tel. 67 351 12 62, www.pila.kapucyni.pl District Museum ul. Browarna 7, 64-920 Piła tel. 67 212 71 37, www.muzeum.pila.pl Stanisław Staszic Museum ul. Browarna 18, 64-920 Piła tel. 67 213 15 67, www.muzeumstaszica.pl POZNAŃ Sheraton Hotel ul. Bukowska 3/9, 60-809 Poznań tel. 61 655 2000, www.sheraton.pl/poznan Safir Hotel ul. Żmigrodzka 41/49, 60-171 Poznań tel. 61 867 37 11, www.hotelsafir.pl Poznański Hotel ul. Krańcowa 4 (Entrance, ul. 3 Maja) 62-030 Luboń k/Poznania tel. 61 649 99 88, www.hotelpoznanski.pl PUSZCZYKOWO Information about the town: www.puszczykowo.pl Atrium Hotel ul. 3-go Maja 42, 62-040 Puszczykowo tel. 48 61 898 30 60, www.atriumhotel.com.pl HOT_elarnia – Hotel & Spa ul. Morenowa 33, 62-040 Puszczykowo tel. 61 898 37 80, www.hotelarnia.pl Arkady Fiedler Literary Museum ul Słowackiego 1, 62-041 Puszczykowo tel. 61 813 37 94, 61 813 31 90, www.fiedler.pl RAKONIEWICE Information about the town: www.rakoniewice.pl U Michała Guest House Drzymałowo tel. 61 444 15 26, www.gosciniecumichala.cgx.pl Wielkopolska Museum of Fire-fighting ul. Kościelna 1, 62-067 Rakoniewice tel. 61 444 11 58, www.wmp-muzeum.psp.wlkp.pl RYDZYNA Information about the town: www.rydzyna.pl
Castle in Rydzyna (hotel and conference centre) plac Zamkowy 1, 64-130 Rydzyna tel. 65 529 50 40, 529 50 26 www.zamek-rydzyna.com.pl ROGOŹNO Information about the town: www.rogozno.pl Recreation and Sports Centre ul. Za Jeziorem 7a, tel. 67 261 83 66 www.osrodek-rogozno.pl Mini hotel at Dom Młynarza Jaracz 45, tel. 67 261 05 15 Church of St. Vitus ul. Kościelna 10, 64-610 Rogoźno tel. 67 261 80 54, www.parafia-wita.pl Regional Museum pl. Marcinkowskiego 1, 64-610 Rogoźno tel. 67 261 80 78, www.rck.rogozno.pl SIERAKÓW Information about the town: www. sierakow.pl Sports and Recreation Centre ul. Poznańska 28, 64-410 Sieraków tel. 61 295 28 68, www.osir.sierakow.pl KAMA Training and Leisure Centre ul. Orla 13, 64-410 Sieraków tel. 61 295 51 00, www.osrodek-kama.pl Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary ul. Poznańska 8, 64-410 Sieraków tel. 61 295 20 56, www.parafia.sieraków.pl Museum – Opaliński Family Castle Stadnina 3a, 64-410 Sieraków tel. 61 295 23 92, www.muzeum-sierakow.pl SZAMOTUŁY Information about the town: www.szamotuly.pl Maraton Hotel ul. Sportowa 6, 64-500 Szamotuły tel. 61 292 19 61, www.maraton.szamotuly.pl School Youth Hostel ul. Obornicka 12, 64-500 Szamotuły tel. 61 293 20 89, www.bursa-schronisko.pl Baborówko Palace Baborówko, ul. Parkowa 1, 64-500 Szamotuły tel./fax 61 29 140 27, www.baborowko.pl Museum of Górka Family Castle ul. Wroniecka 30, 64-500 Szamotuły tel. 61 292 18 13, www.zamek.org.pl Church of Our Lady of Consolation and St. Stanislaus the Bishop ul. Kapłańska 16, 64-500 Szamotuły tel. 61 292 02 82, www.kolegiata.pl ŚREM Information about the town: www.srem.pl L’Ascada Hotel ul. Chełmońskiego 2, 63-100 Śrem tel. 61 284 19 10, www.hotel-lascada.pl
Cztery Korony Hotel ul. Jacka Malczewskiego 1, 63-100 Śrem tel. 61 28 29 150, www.czterykorony.pl Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, ul. Farna 9, 61-100 Śrem tel. 61 283 04 83, www.sremfara.pl ŚRODA WIELKOPOLSKA Szablewski Hotel ul. Brodowska 38c, 63-000 Środa Wielkopolska tel. 61 28 54 061, 61 28 54 062, www.szablewski.pl TUREK Information about the town: www.miastoturek.pl Arkady Hotel 62-700 Turek, plac Sienkiewicza 25 tel. 0-63/ 278-46-33, www.hotele.turek.pl Monika Hotel ul. Dworcowa 1, 62-700 Turek, tel. 63 802 73 55 289 12 24, fax 63 289 23 76, www.hotele.turek.pl Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus pl. Sienkiewicza 4, 62-700 Turek, tel. 63 280 31 04 Weaving Art Museum plac Wojska Polskiego 1, 62-700 Turek tel. 63 278 41 60, www.muzeum.turek.net.pl WĄGROWIEC Information about the town: www.wagrowiec.um.gov.pl Pietrak Hotel ul. Kościuszki 47, 62-100 Wągrowiec tel. 67 268 58 25, fax 67 262 86 07, www.pietrak.pl Jamajka Hotel ul. Kcyńska 129, 62-100 Wągrowiec tel. 67 268 58 60, www.hoteljamajka.pl Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, ul. Klasztorna 21, 62-100 Wągrowiec tel. 67 262 01 25, www.klasztor-wagrowiec.yoyo.pl Church of St. James the Apostle ul. Klasztorna 16, 62-100 Wągrowiec, tel. 67 262 09 99 Regional Museum ul. Opacka 15, 62-100 Wągrowiec tel. 67 268 59 11, www.opatowka.pl WOLSZTYN Information about the town: www.wolsztyn.pl Pałac Wolsztyn Hotel ul. Drzymały 4, 64-200 Wolsztyn tel. 68 346 93 58, www.palacwolsztyn.com.pl Kaukaska Hotel ul. Poniatowskiego 19, 64-200 Wolsztyn tel. 68 347 28 52, tel/fax 68 347 12 84, www.kaukaska.pl Zielona Prowansja Hotel ul. Wodna 1, 64-200 Wolsztyn tel. 68 347 15 44, tel. 508 015 624 www.zielonaprowansja.pl Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary, ul. Kocha 38, 64-200 Wolsztyn tel. 68 347 09 23, www.farawolsztyn.pl
Marcin Rożek Museum ul. 5 Stycznia 34, 64-200 Wolsztyn tel. 68 384-26-48, www.muzeum-wolsztyn.com.pl Robert Koch Museum ul. Kocha 12, 64-200 Wolsztyn tel. 68 384 27 36, www.muzeum-wolsztyn.com.pl Open-Air Ethnographic Museum in Wolsztyn 64-200 Wolsztyn, ul. Bohaterów Bielnika 26 tel. 68 384 26 19, www.muzeum-wolsztyn.com.pl Wolsztyn Steam Locomotive Depot 64-200 Wolsztyn, ul. Fabryczna 1 tel. 68 419 17 93, 68 419 17 53 www.parowozowniawolsztyn.pl WRONKI Information about the town: www.wronki.pl Olympic Hotel ul. Leśna 15 a, 64-510 Wronki tel. 67 254 55 00, www.hotel-olympic.pl Karo Inn ul. Leśna 6, 64-510 Wronki, tel. 67 254 19 79 Church of St. Catherine ul. Sierakowska 5, 64-510 Wronki tel. 67 254 08 62, 67 254 35 54 www.katarzyna.parafiawronki.pl Church of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Franciscan Monastery ul. Mickiewicza 1, 64-510 Wronki tel. 67 25 40 424 www.franciszkanie.net Regional Museum ul. Szkolna 2, 64-510 Wronki tel. 67 254 01 33, www.wokwronki.pl ZŁOTÓW Information about the town: www.zlotow.pl Zacisze Conference and Leisure Centre ul. Wioślarska 4, 77-400 Złotów tel. 723 223 333, 67 263 23 58, www.cwkzacisze.pl Krajna Hotel Aleja Piasta 15, 77-400 Złotów tel. 67 263 30 53, www.hotel-krajna.pl Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary ul. Panny Marii 11, 77-400 Złotów tel. 67 263 28 22, www.msf-zlotow.pl Branch Church of St. Stanisław Kostka Museum of Złotów Region ul. Wojska Polskiego 2a, 77-400 Złotów tel. 67 263 28 72, www. muzeum-zlotow.pl ŻERKÓW Information about the town: www.zerkow.pl Mickiewicz Tourist Centre in Żerków ul. Jarocińska 35, 63-210 Żerków tel.62 740 20 80, www.mct.zerkow.pl Church of St. Stanislaus the Bishop ul. Kościelna 10, 63-210 Żerków, tel. 62 740 30 04
Tourist Information Poznań 61-772 Poznań, Stary Rynek 59/60 tel. 61 852 61 56, 61 855 33 79 email@example.com
Leszno 64-100 Leszno, ul. Słowiańska 24 tel. 65 529 81 91, 65 529 81 92 firstname.lastname@example.org
Entrance, ul.27 Grudnia 61-816 Poznań, ul. Ratajczaka 44 tel. 61 851 96 45, 61 856 04 54 email@example.com
Nowy Tomyśl 64-300 Nowy Tomyśl pl. Niepodległości 10 tel. 61 442 38 06 firstname.lastname@example.org
Poznań International Fair 60-734 Poznań, ul. Głogowska 14 tel. 61 869 20 84 email@example.com
Piła 64-920 Piła, al. Niepodległości 33/35 tel. 67 210 94 80 firstname.lastname@example.org
Airport Poznań-Ławica 60-189 Poznań, ul. Bukowska 285 tel. 61 849 21 40 email@example.com
Puszczykowo 62-040 Puszczykowo, ul. Poznańska 1 tel. 61 633 62 83, 61 898 37 11 firstname.lastname@example.org
Poznań Railway Station 60-801 Poznań, ul. Dworcowa 1 tel. 61 866 06 67 email@example.com
Śrem 63-100 Śrem, ul. Okulickiego 3 tel. 61 283 27 04 firstname.lastname@example.org Wolsztyn 64-200 Wolsztyn ul. Roberta Kocha 12a tel. 68 347 31 04 email@example.com
Gniezno 62-200 Gniezno, ul. Rynek 14 tel. 61 428 41 00 firstname.lastname@example.org Kalisz 62-800 Kalisz, ul. Zamkowa tel. 62 598 27 31 email@example.com
Publisher: Wielkopolska Tourist Organization ul. 27 Grudnia 17/19, 61-737 Poznań Written by: Anna Plenzler Translation: Timothy Downey Graphic design: Agencja Fotograficzna Studio-F, www.olszewskiphoto.pl Cover photos: Archive of the Town Office in Czarnków, Z. Moliński
Konin 62-510 Konin, ul. Dworcowa 2 tel. 63 246 32 48 firstname.lastname@example.org
ISBN: 978-83-61454-71-7 Poznań 2012
Brochures promoting Wielkopolska are supported by mobile technologies.
You can find a QR code reader at www.odkoduj.pl
Project co-financed by the European Union through the Regional Development Fund, as part of the Wielkopolska Regional Operational Program for the years 2007 - 2013 European Funds for Innovation and Development in Wielkopolska