Page 1






Contents PART 1 1.1 1.2 1.3

Welcome Welcome from the Vice-Chancellor Our Commitment: The UWIC Student Charter Top 10 things to do once you get to University

PART 2 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 2.9 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13

Things You Need To Know (Regulations) Enrolment Fees Attendance Assessment Conduct at Examinations Unfair Practice and Plagiarism Mitigating Circumstances Insurance Car Parking Data Protection Freedom of Information Private Mail/Telephone Calls Jury Service

PART 3 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7

Things To Help You (Services) Student Services Accommodation Services International Office Learning Centre Services Study Advice and Learning Support Students’ Union External Services

PART 4 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 4.7 4.8 4.9 4.10 4.11 4.12

Things You May Find Useful (Policies And Procedures) Making a suggestion, complaint or appeal Disciplinary Procedure Code of Conduct Equal Opportunities Harassment and Bullying Child Protection Expectant or New Mothers Health & Safety Smoking Mental Health Meningitis Sustainability

Appendix 1 Useful names, addresses and websites Index Appendix 2 Guidelines for Committees of Enquiry on the Imposition of Penalties for Unfair Practice.


Part 1 Welcome 1.1 Welcome from the Vice-Chancellor. Welcome to UWIC’s new Student Handbook and congratulations! If you are reading this you are either preparing to come to UWIC or are already a student here. Thank you for choosing to study at UWIC. We are sure you will find the experience most worthwhile and enjoyable. The purpose of this Handbook is to provide you with all the necessary basic information you need as a student at UWIC and to tell you about the type of services available. You are not expected to read it from cover to cover in one go, but to use it as a reference guide when you need information. Specific details about your chosen programme of study are sent to you separately. You will also receive additional information when you enrol and participate in the induction process at the beginning of your first term. Without students UWIC would not exist! We try to take every opportunity to listen to and take notice of your views. At the same time, you have a responsibility to make use of these various opportunities, as this can be a most valuable part of your university experience. This is your university. Please make use of all the services and facilities we offer. If you have concerns or worries about anything please ask or seek advice. Relevant phone numbers, email addresses and web sites are included throughout this Handbook. Do please use our web site (; it will provide you with all the information you should need in both English and Welsh. Professor Antony J Chapman Vice-Chancellor and Principal

1.2 Our Commitment The UWIC Student Charter The Charter sets out the standards of service which UWIC aims to achieve in respect of its students. It also sets out for students what we expect of them in return.By listening to the views of students through a range of mechanisms and using their feedback, UWIC ensures that it continuously improves its services and raises student satisfaction levels even higher, in order to improve efficiency and effectiveness in student learning. The UWIC Charter ensures that staff: • Set standards and perform well • Actively engage with students, staff and partners • Are fair and accessible to everyone and promote choice • Continuously develop and improve • Use resources effectively and imaginatively • Contribute to improving opportunities and quality of life in the communities served For further information on the UWIC Student Charter visit: Further details of the commitment are contained in the Student Charter found at: Also, from time to time UWIC, its programmes, or groups of programmes, are inspected or assessed by external bodies charged with examining and reporting on the quality of provision. The main bodies concerned are •The Quality Assurance Agency (QAA) •The Higher Education Funding Council for Wales (HEFCW) •Her Majesty’s Inspectorate/Estyn •Professional Statutory and Accrediting Bodies

1.3 ‘TOP 10’ Things To Do Once You Get To University Starting university is a very exciting time for new students, but it can also be overwhelming if you don’t know what to expect and if it is your first time living away from home. So here are some ‘Top 10’ tips to get you through the first few days and months as a new student, if not for the whole of your studies. 1. It may sound obvious, but speak to people! The first few days at university can seem daunting to begin with – you’re away from home and surrounded by complete strangers – but just remember that all the other new students are in the same boat. Don’t be afraid to smile, say hello and speak to other new students, they’re probably as nervous as you. 2. Attend events organised for new students or ‘Freshers’ as you’re known. Make sure you attend any university induction events to get all the important information you’ll need about your course and the university. Also make the effort to attend Freshers’ Week Fairs run by your Students’ Union to find out about clubs and societies. Joining a club or society is one of the best ways to meet people and improve your university social life. Freshers’ Fairs are also a great place to find out about student discounts and promotions from local companies and businesses. 3. Sort out your finances at the start. The cost of being a student can add up, between paying for course fees and finding money for rent, bills, course materials and of course socialising! As a student, you’ll need to learn how to make your money last and not go into too much debt, so don’t blow all your cash in the first few weeks. Sit down and work out realistically what you’ve got coming in, what has to go out on essentials such as rent/bills, course books and equipment and how much you have left over each month to enjoy yourself. 4. Learn to cook and find out where the nearest laundrette is. Although you may not be as talented as Jamie Oliver in the kitchen, you really can’t live on kebabs and takeaways for a year. Invest in a good student cookbook, which will tell you how to make great food on a budget. It is also advisable to find out where your nearest laundrette facilities are, so that on your first visit back home you’re not accompanied by bags of dirty washing! 5. Organise your time. University life is very different from being at school or college as you have a lot more freedom and will be responsible for managing your own workload. It makes sense to plan your time and get coursework out of the way in plenty of time, rather than burning the midnight oil and writing an assignment in one night without any sleep. 6. Talk to someone about any concerns or needs you might have as soon as possible, whether they be about personal issues, finance, disability, faith, health, childcare, part-time work or your choice of course. Don’t be afraid to seek help and advice either before you begin university or when you’re there. Support services are free and entirely confidential, so don’t let things build up and get out of control.

7. You’ll be well looked after as a student, but if things are going wrong, don’t be afraid to share a problem. UWIC and the Students’ Union have all kinds of services to support you in your learning and your personal life. If you have a problem with your course, you’ll also have a course tutor who will be able to offer you help and advice. Make sure you know what support is available to you. 8. Don’t leave your common sense at home when you go away to university – take care of your personal safety. Never leave your drink unattended in a pub/bar – you never know what might be in it when you get back. Don’t walk the streets alone late at night or in the early hours of the morning and, if possible, arrange to walk home with a group of friends. If you can take public transport or a taxi from a reputable firm, it’s much safer than walking. 9. Look after your possessions – don’t make yourself an easy target for potential thieves. Whether you are living in halls of residence or private/shared accommodation, keep your doors and windows locked when you’re not in your room and at night, and obtain adequate insurance for your personal possessions before you leave for university. 10. Even if you are really busy in the whirlwind of Freshers’ Week events, socialising and settling in to your course, don’t forget to call home and let your family and friends know that you’re OK. Similarly, always tell someone; let your flatmate know where you are. Finally, enjoy yourself and have fun – you’re only a Fresher once, so make the most of it.

Things You Need To Know

Part 2 Things You Need To Know (Regulations) There are matters you need to be aware of and to abide by, so please read this section carefully. The regulations are designed to ensure UWIC is able to meet its legal and statutory obligations and to provide a framework for conduct, so that all can benefit to the maximum from what UWIC has to offer.

2.1 Enrolment Regulations Location: Academic Registry, Llandaff Campus Opening Hours: 8.30 am – 5.00 pm (4.30 pm Fridays) Contact(s): Assistant Registrar Telephone: 029 20416805 Website: In enrolling as a student at UWIC you undertake to abide by the enrolment regulations or you may be excluded from study. UWIC interprets “student” to mean any person enrolled by UWIC to follow a course or programme of studies, which has been approved by the Academic Board, including short programmes.You are required to enrol each academic year before the start of your programme of study for that year. The times of enrolment are determined by UWIC. You will be informed of these via the UWIC website. Enrolment is not complete until: • A UWIC enrolment form has been satisfactorily completed (normally on-line). • A module selection form has been satisfactorily completed (normally on-line). • Payment of fees or arrangement for the payment of fees has been made in accordance with section 2.2 (below). • Your entry qualifications have been verified. • Any other procedures, which may be required or which you have been notified about, have been completed. Please make sure you have done all of these things or else you will find you may not be able to start your programme. For further details go to the Academic Registry website indicated above. N.B. Information provided by UWIC about a programme of study is intended as a guide only and does not constitute a contract between UWIC and a student or any third party, since UWIC reserves the right to cancel, suspend or modify any programme, should the circumstances so apply. However, any such action will have due regard for the interests of the students on the programme.

2.2 Fees Location: Academic Registry/Exchequer Opening Hours: 8.30 am – 5.00 pm (4.30 pm Fridays) Contact(s): Academic Registry: Pauline James Exchequer: Karen Collins Telephone: Academic Registry: 029 20416813 Exchequer: 029 20416083/6086 Websites: Academic Registry: Exchequer: Students are required to agree the method/basis for payment of tuition and registration fees at the beginning of each academic year. Full details of all course fees and any registration fees are available from the Exchequer Department website, as indicated above. If you receive financial support from a Local Education Authority (LEA) and the Student Loan Company (SLC), you must produce at enrolment written evidence of any contribution to be paid by the LEA/SLC towards your tuition fees. (This is normally your Student Support Notification). If your tuition fees are to be paid by a sponsor or other agency (e.g. your employer) you must produce at enrolment a letter confirming that the sponsor accepts responsibility for payment of your fees. If a BTEC registration fee is payable, this must be paid at enrolment. In the event of your sponsor or other agency defaulting on the payment of fees or otherwise disclaiming responsibility, you are personally responsible for any outstanding amount due. If you are paying your own fees or any contribution towards your fees, you may make arrangements to pay by instalments. Please bring all documents to your enrolment session. You can obtain further information from the Exchequer web site, where you will also be able to print off a Direct Debit mandate for instalments and find out the payment dates for the current year. N.B. Direct Debit payment is not available for international students who must pay their fees in full or on a 60%/40% basis. It is recognised that students, once enrolled, may wish to discontinue their studies for a variety of reasons which may not have been apparent prior to enrolment. In recognition of this, students who withdraw within four weeks of their recorded enrolment will be entitled to a refund of fees subject to any evidence of fraud or illegal acts or other outstanding debts to UWIC. If you withdraw after the first four weeks of term your liability for fees will be dependent upon the period of study, as set out below: • Withdrawal during first term % of fee payable = 40%

• Withdrawal during second term % of fee payable = 70% • Withdrawal during third term % of fee payable = 100% If you are liable for your own fees and you do not opt to pay through a deferred fee loan, it is essential that you pay your fees on time. Failure to do so may result in your access to UWIC facilities (including IT access) being withdrawn; you may be excluded from examinations; you may be prevented from progressing to your next stage of study; you may not receive an award from UWIC.

2.3 Attendance Location: Academic Registry School Offices Opening Hours: Llandaff 11.00 am – 2.00 pm Cyncoed 9.00 am – 12.00 pm Colchester Avenue 10.00 am – 1.00 pm Howard Gardens 9.30 am – 12.30 pm Telephone: Cyncoed 029 20416560 Howard Gardens 029 20416969 Llandaff 029 20416807 Colchester Avenue 029 20416301 Contact(s) School Offices Academic Registry: Cyncoed/Howard Gardens/Llandaff/Colchester Avenue Website: Academic Registry: Unless your programme is organised otherwise, attendance at lectures, seminars, tutorials and practical classes is an integral part of your learning, without which you will not be able to fulfil the programme’s aims and objectives. Additionally, sponsors, such as your LEA and the SLC, often stipulate good attendance as a requirement for the support they provide. You are expected to attend the formal teaching sessions laid down in your programme. If you need to be absent for a session you should advise the relevant lecturer or the Programme Director for absences involving a day or more. A written explanation to the Programme Director is required together with a medical certificate for health-related absences in excess of one week. This is in your interests as it may be necessary to make special arrangements for you. If you are absent for a continuous period of four weeks without the approval of your Programme Director, you will be deemed to have withdrawn from your studies and your enrolment will be cancelled and, where applicable, your LEA, the SLC or your sponsor will be informed.

International students from outside of the EU The Points Based Migration System was introduced in the UK in March 2009. This immigration system requires international students to adhere to strict rules whilst they are in the UK. As these regulations are part of the new immigration law of the UK, failure to comply with them can have serious consequences and may result in deportation. As a Tier 4 migrant, your attendance on your course at UWIC will be monitored as we are legally required to advise the UK Immigration Authorities if you do not attend. When you arrive at UWIC, you will be advised on how we will be monitoring your attendance on your course to ensure that you comply with the immigration regulations. The International Office will invite you to an immigration briefing session during your enrolment week at UWIC. This session will help you to understand and comply with the new immigration regulations. These sessions will be compulsory and will clearly outline your responsibilities to UWIC in line with the new regulations. For the latest developments on the UK’s new Points Based Migration System, please visit the UK Border Agency website:

2.4 Assessment Location: Academic Registry School Offices Contact(s) School Offices Website: Academic Handbook UWIC’s assessment regulations can be viewed in full in the Academic Handbook. You will need to know exactly how you are going to be assessed on your particular programme. This information should be spelt out in your Programme’s Handbook and you should also be given full details of what is expected and required for each module or element by your Programme Director or Module Leader. The information should include details of the methods of assessment, the weighting given to different aspects, the levels attainable, the required pass mark and deadlines for submission. It is your responsibility to ensure you know what is required, to hand in work on time, to attend examinations when necessary and to submit details to your Programme Director of any extenuating circumstances that may affect your performance or require an extension to a deadline. Additionally, it is your responsibility to apply for any special provisions you may be entitled to due to a verified disability. You should be provided with feedback on all of your assessed work and the level of performance you have achieved. Under the Data Protection Act (1998) (See Section 2.10) this includes being given the actual marks or grades obtained. For details of how this is provided, see your Programme’s Handbook or information provided by your Programme Director or Module Leader.

If you do not pass an assignment, a module or a programme you should normally be allowed to be re-assessed. Your programme’s Examining Board will decide what course of action should be taken and you will be informed of this in writing. Different programmes have different regulations regarding re-assessment, which should be published in your programme’s Handbook. Normally, you will be given no more than a basic pass mark for reassessed work. In exceptional circumstances an Examining Board can allow compensation for a failure, especially in cases where you may have been unavoidably absent due to illness or an accident. If you wish to appeal against any academic decision, see Section 4.1 of this Handbook or access UWIC’s Appeals Procedures in the Academic Handbook.

2.5 Conduct of Examinations Location: Academic Registry School Offices – see list at end of Handbook Website: Academic Handbook UWIC has regulations on the conduct of examinations and these can be viewed in the Academic Handbook. If you are due to take an exam then ensure you are familiar with the regulations. The dates and times of examinations will be communicated to you, usually via a notice board.It is your responsibility to know when and where your examinations are taking place. You will need to ensure you are there punctually for the start of the examination, as you will not be allowed in if you are more than half an hour late. You will also not be allowed to leave until 45 minutes of the exam has passed or during the last 15 minutes. Don’t forget your ID card – you will need to show this to prove your identity. If you are ill or have had an accident and/or cannot take the exam, then you must report this as soon as possible and send a medical certificate to the Academic Registrar. If you want to apply for additional exam arrangements, you will need to contact the Disability Service as soon as possible and supply them with medical evidence or an Educational Psychologist’s report. If this is not completed prior to the exam arrangements deadline, adjustments may not be possible. It is very important to follow the exam arrangements procedure in order to ensure you receive the appropriate adjustments. If you have a mobile phone you are not allowed to keep it on your person. It must be switched off and handed in to an invigilator or placed in a box at the back of the room. Ensure you know if you are permitted to bring anything into the examination room. If not, you should not have any materials with you which may lead to suspicions of unfair practice (See 2.6).

2.6 Unfair Practice and Plagiarism Location: Academic Registry School Offices Learning Resource Centres Website: Academic Handbook Study Skills Help Learning Centres 2.6.1 UWIC’s regulations on Unfair Practice can be viewed in full in the Academic Handbook. Where there is any evidence of unfair practice UWIC takes the matter very seriously and has rigorous procedures to investigate the alleged offence.Guidelines for Imposition of Penalties for Unfair Practice appear in Appendix 2. Unfair practice can be defined as gaining an unpermitted advantage by cheating. It involves breaking the examination regulations, copying from others, plagiarising, impersonating someone else or making false claims. All work should be the student’s own effort in some way. Plagiarism involves taking or using another person’s thoughts or writings and presenting them as if they were your own. To avoid suspicion of this, you must acknowledge all your sources, using an official referencing system such as Harvard. You must not copy out passages of text from a publication word for word or simply make slight changes. You must use your own words unless you insert a direct quotation but ,even then, you must still acknowledge any ideas or concepts that are not your own; if you plagiarise inadvertently, you will still be penalised. There are also study skills units on referencing and plagiarism on line at UWIC and the Learning Centres provide advice as indicated above. For further details see Section 3.5 of this Handbook. If you are accused of any type of unfair practice, UWIC’s procedures allow you to defend yourself or to be represented and, if found guilty, you have the right to appeal on certain grounds. As part of its commitment to quality and the maintenance of academic standards, UWIC reserves the right to use plagiarism detection systems, including Turnitin. Further details of this system are available from It is important that you familiarise yourself with the definition of plagiarism at the above link, as anyone found to have plagiarised work or any other form of Unfair Practice will face the most severe sanctions including exclusion and/or cancellation of marks, in appropriate cases. There are a number of web sites that claim to check for plagiarism in work that is uploaded to them. Apart from Turnitin, you should not use these sites because, invariably, they are a means to get a copy of your work and then sell it to others. This will also make your own work appear as if it has been plagiarised from those who have purchased it. For further details see Section 3.5 of this Handbook. The Vice-President (Education Officer) of the Students’ Union is responsible for consulting with Schools, where appropriate, on matters appertaining to academic issues. This is done by representing and providing impartial advice to students in matters relating to Disciplinary Hearings, Complaints and Academic Appeals.

2.7 Mitigating Circumstances Location: Academic Registry School Offices Contact(s) School Offices – see list at end of Handbook Website: Academic Handbook Where you are experiencing exceptional personal circumstances outside your control (e.g. personal illness or that of a close friend or relative, bereavement, accident, etc), that you consider are affecting your academic performance, you are advised to contact your Personal Tutor/Year Tutor as soon as the problem occurs, to try to prevent a crisis. Where you consider that such circumstances have affected adversely your academic performance, whether in coursework or formal examination, you should submit a Mitigating Circumstances Form, with independent corroborative evidence to the Programme Director as soon as possible. This must be prior to the meeting of the Examining Board if you wish the Board to take account of your circumstances when determining your result. For more information, visit the Academic Handbook on UWIC’s website which will give guidance on supporting evidence and when you should submit this together with the Mitigating Circumstances Form and the Mitigating Circumstances Guidelines and Procedure.

2.8 Insurance Location: Finance School Office Opening Hours: 8.30 am – 5.00 pm (4.30 pm Fridays) Contact(s): Senior Finance Assistant Telephone: 029 20416064 Website: Pages/Insurance.aspx UWIC has insurance to cover its legal liability for accidental injury, loss or damage sustained by third parties when students are on campus or on official placements arranged by UWIC as part of a student’s programme. This insurance covers acts of negligence by UWIC. It should be noted that no cover exists where UWIC was not negligent. UWIC does not accept any responsibility for personal property lost or damaged on UWIC premises or on official placements off-campus. Any persons causing loss or damage to UWIC property will be held personally responsible and liable for the cost of replacement or repair, as necessary. Students wishing to insure either themselves or their possessions are strongly advised to make their own arrangements as no personal accident or contents cover is provided by UWIC. If you live in UWIC halls you must arrange your own insurance for your belongings. Check your policy at home first, to se if you are covered by your home insurance.

2.9 Car Parking Location: Reception at each Campus Opening Hours: 8.30 am – 5.00 pm (4.30 pm Fridays) Contact(s): Reception – Cyncoed/Howard Gardens/Llandaff/Colchester Avenue Telephone: Cyncoed 029 20416155 Howard Gardens 029 2041654 Llandaff 029 20416138 Colchester Avenue 029 2041657 Website: /parking/Pages/Home.aspx Managed Parking Management of UWIC car parks is performed on its behalf by Vinci Park Services UK Limited. UWIC wishes to preserve as safe, convenient and secure a facility as possible for the benefit of all users. The managed car parking policy is intended to provide an equitable and uniform system for the administration of car parking amenities consistent with corporate priorities. Primary objectives: • Ease congestion and ensure smooth and effective traffic flow and management. • Improve the safety and security of drivers, cyclists and pedestrians. • Support UWIC’s commitment to sustainability and related planning authority requirement to develop a comprehensive Travel Plan as a condition of planning approval. • Make adequate provision for people with disabilities. • Invest in the improvement of parking facilities. Students A limited number of Pay & Display parking spaces are available to students on all campuses although in some cases these are restricted to car share schemes. You are required to register for a permit to park in these car share scheme spaces. You are required to Pay & Display at the advertised tariff at all times. Students who are Blue Badge Holders are exempt from payment but must display their badge at all times. Resident students are not permitted to park on Campus with the exception of Plas Gwyn Campus. Students with Exceptional Circumstances A small number of Pre-Pay Parking Permits can be issued to students who believe their circumstances are such that it is essential that they travel by car and have easy access to their vehicle. In making an application you will require the support of your Dean of School. However, this does not guarantee that your application will be successful: spaces will be awarded on a “greatest needs” principle. If you consider your circumstances warrant an application, you will find the following information and application form on our parking website.

Student Application Form (PDF Document) Guidance Notes for Student Application Form (Microsoft Word Document) Policy & Regulations (Microsoft Word Document) Links to Alternative Means of Transport: UWIC Rider Traveline Cymru UWIC Green Travel

2.10 Data Protection Location: Secretariat & Vice-Chancellor’s Office Opening Hours: 8.30 am – 5.00 pm (4.30 pm Fridays) Contact(s): Siân Newton –Senior Officer Telephone: 029 20416076 Website: The Data Protection Act (DPA) (1998) not only establishes the way in which personal data (that is information about living individuals) should be handled, but also sets out the rights that everyone has in relation to their own data. The Act details the Principles and Conditions that all organisations have to follow when they collect, hold, use, disclose or destroy personal data in order to ensure that they do so in a responsible fashion, with regard for personal privacy. UWIC holds a range of personal data in both manual and electronic systems. All such data is collected, held and disclosed in accordance with the DPA. You have a number of rights in relation to the information that UWIC holds about you, including the right to: • Ask for a copy of any of your personal data (Subject Access Request). • Prevent us using your data for direct marketing. • Prevent us doing anything with your data that may cause you damage or distress. You also have rights, if significant decisions about you are automated. UWIC’s Data Protection Policy is designed to ensure UWIC complies fully with the Act and you can view the full policy on the website, indicated above. The Policy includes: • A complete list of the Principles and relevant Conditions that UWIC follows. • Details of why we need your data and what we will do with it, including who it may be passed to. • More information about your rights. The website also has information about how you can make a Subject Access Request. You also have some responsibilities for assisting UWIC to comply with the Act, including: • Informing UWIC of any changes to your details, such as a change of address.

• Informing the Senior Officer immediately if any information about another person comes into your possession. • Following relevant guidance if you are collecting or using personal data as part of your studies, in an elected role or when you are undertaking research. For further information contact the Senior Officer, as indicated above. This also applies to students living in UWIC Halls of Residence.

2.11 Freedom of Information Location: Secretariat & Vice-Chancellor’s Office Opening Hours: 8.30 am – 5.00 pm (4.30 pm Fridays) Contact(s): Siân Newton –Senior Officer Telephone: 029 20416076 Website: The Freedom of Information Act 2000, allows you to ask to see, or have a copy of, any recorded information held by UWIC. The Publication Scheme lists the information that is already available to you, much of it electronically. You can find the Scheme on the above website or you can request a paper copy from the Senior Officer. Any of the information contained in the Scheme can also be requested as a paper copy. If the information you want to see is not included in the Publication Scheme you can make an individual request for it. Unless your request is particularly complex or you are requesting copies of a considerable amount of information we will generally make no charge. Guidance on making a request is also available on the above website. Although we would hope to let you see or have any information that you want, you should be aware that there are some exemptions to your right to have access to information. These exemptions are mostly designed to protect certain information that should not be generally known (such as personal information about staff or students, or information that we have been given in confidence). The exemptions will also mean that a request from others for access to information we hold relating to you would usually be refused. Some information, such as dissertations or other assessments, may not be covered by an exemption and may, therefore, need to be disclosed if a request is received. We will, however, make every effort to contact you before doing so. If you would like more information about the Act or want some advice or assistance before making a request or about a request you have already made, please contact the Senior Officer.

2.12 Private Mail/Telephone Calls Unless you are living in a Hall of Residence, you should not normally use UWIC’s name and address for private mail. Public telephones are available on all campuses and Internet telephones are installed in every room in UWIC Halls of Residence. The UWIC telephone service should not be used by students except in an emergency or with a staff member’s permission.

2.13 Jury Service From time to time, students may be called for jury service. Where jury service is likely to interfere with a student’s study or assessment, the student may seek to defer their service. For further information on deferral of jury service, please contact the Academic Registry.

Things To Help You (Services)

Part 3 Things To Help You (Services) 3.1 Student Services Location: Student Services on each campus Opening Hours: 8.30 am – 4.30 pm (4.00 pm Fridays) Contact(s): Dean of Students - Rob Cummings Financial Advice, Counselling & Health Services Manager - Anne Curtis Disability Service Manager - Karen Robson Career Development Services Manager - Alyson Twyman Chaplain - Paul Fitzpatrick Telephone: 029 20416333 – Student Services (Cyncoed) 029 20416170 – Student Services (Llandaff) 029 20417252 – Chaplain Website:

3.1.1 Introduction Student Services is designed to meet the support needs of all students and to offer help and guidance to ensure your time at UWIC is as enjoyable and successful as possible. It comprises six areas:• Finance and Welfare Advice • Counselling Service • Health Service • Disability Service (based mainly on the Llandaff Campus). • Career Development Services (based on the Cyncoed Campus but with provision on all Campuses). • Multi-faith Chaplaincy (based on the Cyncoed Campus). All the advisory services are free, confidential, impartial and staffed by professionals. If you require any information, advice or guidance before starting or during your programme of study, please do not hesitate to contact the relevant service. If you are thinking of changing or leaving your course, please contact Student Services at an early stage for help with planning your next move and dealing with any practicalities, such as finance.

3.1.2 Financial and Welfare Advice This service offers confidential and non-judgemental advice on student finance, such as loans and supplementary grants, as well as debt problems, money management and general welfare advice. It is also responsible for administering the Financial Contingency Fund which provides assistance for students in severe financial hardship and emergency loans for students whose first instalment of student loan is going to be late through no fault of their own. There is a comprehensive financial support package for full-time undergraduates who are studying for their first degree; this comprises mainly:

Tuition Fee Grant For 2009/10, UWIC will be charging tuition fees of £3,225 for its full-time undergraduate courses but welsh domiciled students who choose to study in Wales may be eligible for a non-repayable grant of up to £1,940 to set against these fees. This grant is not means tested so will be available to students regardless of family income and will be paid directly to UWIC. Tuition Fee Loan: Undergraduate students will no longer have to pay fees whilst they are studying as they will be able to defer their fees by taking out a fee loan, which is repaid in exactly the same way as the student maintenance loan. The fee loan will be paid directly to the university to cover the cost of the fees charged, but universities will make arrangements for students who choose to pay their fees instead. Student Maintenance Loan: Student maintenance loans are available to eligible students to help to meet basic living costs, such as accommodation, food, clothes, travel and course costs. Twenty five per cent of the loan is assessed on the family’s income. For students starting their studies in 2006 or later, the Government will write off all student loan balances which are left unpaid 25 years after a student finished or left his/her course, as long as the conditions of the original loan agreement are met. Assembly Learning Grant/Maintenance Grant: Students who come from a low income household, may be eligible for an income-assessed maintenance grant of up to £2,906, which doesn’t have to be repaid. In Wales, this will be known as an Assembly Learning Grant (ALG) and in England a Maintenance Grant. An element of this grant will be paid in substitution for part of the student maintenance loan; this sounds complicated but has the effect of reducing a student’s debt. If you want more information about how this works, see the Money Matters leaflet or contact the Finance and Welfare Advice team. Supplementary Grants: Additional grants may be available for students with specific circumstances, such as disabled students and low-income students with children. Details of these grants are available from the LEA or the Student Finance and Welfare Advisory Service in UWIC. To apply for any of these grants and loans, students should contact their LEA in Wales or Student Finance Direct in England where staff will establish eligibility and assess how much financial support is available. Undergraduate students who already have a first degree are not eligible for any elements of this support package so it might be worth contacting the Finance and Welfare Advice team to discuss the options available. Welsh National Bursary: For 2009/10 students who receive a full Assembly Learning Grant or Maintenance Grant will be eligible for a Welsh National Bursary of £319. Any queries relating to this should be directed to the Bursary Officer on 029 2041 6143.

UWIC Bursary & Scholarship Scheme UWIC offers a bursary and scholarship scheme to students who have met specified conditions and criteria. For any queries and information related to your bursary or scholarship application, contact the Bursary Officer on 029 2041 6143 or Financial Contingency Fund: Each year the Welsh Assembly Government gives a sum of money to UWIC to disburse to students who are facing financial hardship. To be eligible to apply, students must fulfil the residency requirements and must have applied for all the funding that is available to them. If you want to have more information about what is available to you, visit UWIC’s Student Finance and Welfare Advisory Service’s website at or refer to our leaflet ‘Money Matters’, which provides information on the support available and on how much things are likely to cost, as well as giving some helpful pointers on how to manage your money during your time at university. Our website also contains useful information for part-time, postgraduate and further education students. If you would like specific advice, based on your individual circumstances, phone 029 2041 6170 to book an appointment with UWIC’s Student Financial or Welfare Advisers. Useful links for more information are: (for students normally living in Wales) (for students normally living in England) (for students normally living in Scotland) (for students normally living in N.Ireland) (for EU nationals) (for NHS funded programmes) (Student Loan Company)

3.1.3 Counselling Counselling is available to any student who may be feeling worried, anxious, upset or distressed. It is an opportunity to explore emotional issues with someone who is trained to listen, explore and offer honest feedback. It can help you to focus on things that are causing you concern. You can then decide how best to tackle problems which can be solved and come to terms with those that cannot. It does not tell you what to do; on the contrary it respects your rights to make your own decision. Free confidential counselling is available to all students via an appointment system during term-time; sessions usually take place on the Llandaff Campus but can be offered at other campuses on certain days of the week. At peak times, there may be a waiting list for this service and you may have to wait for an appointment, which can be made via Student Services reception, the service also offers e-counselling on Unfortunately we aren’t able to offer an emergency service.

3.1.4 Health Service UWIC’s Nursing Officers provide a confidential drop-in service for help and advice on all matters of health and well-being. The Nursing Officers are experienced professionals who are committed to an integrated system of care, encompassing physical, emotional and psychological health and well-being. They are based in the medical centres on the Cyncoed and Howard Gardens campuses. The Nurses can also be contacted, during term-time, via email at A local GP practice, based at Minster Road in Roath, also provides a medical service at the Cyncoed Campus for students who wish to register with that practice. All students at UWIC are encouraged to register, as soon as possible, with a local GP of their choice. Further details on joining a local GP practice will be given by nursing staff at inductions and are available on notice boards and on the Student Services website, as indicated above. Please note that medical certificates can only be issued by a GP after a week of a verified illness. If you are registered with the Minster Road Surgery these are normally issued free of charge, but an appointment should be made.

3.1.5 Disability Service The Disability Service provides advice and support to disabled students. If you have disclosed a disability on your UCAS form you will have received a letter over the summer asking you to make contact with the department prior to your arrival in order to ensure that appropriate adjustments can be made in advance of your arrival. If you have not contacted the team, it is extremely important that you do so as soon as possible as it can take some time to put support in place. The Disability Service provides advice on: • Physical access • Educational support • Personal assistance • Disabled Students’ Allowance • Liaising with other Units and Schools in UWIC • Technological support (including recording lectures) • Study skills • Additional examination arrangements Additional information will be made available to you on your arrival at UWIC both at the Vice Chancellor’s welcome and individual programme induction talks.

As a checklist, if you are a disabled student you should: • Have indicated a disability on your UCAS form or contacted the Disability Service directly. • Have received a letter asking what support you require and contacted a Disability Advisor. • Have ensured that any points suggested by the Disability staff have been undertaken by you in the timescale recommended. • Have informed the Accommodation Office of any particular requirements and have had them confirmed. • Make an appointment at the beginning of the autumn term to see a Disability Adviser at Student Services. It is extremely important that all of these points are covered since sometimes it can be difficult to make necessary arrangements after the start of term. If, after joining the course, you find that your circumstances change or you develop a disability or medical condition which might affect your study, you should inform the Disability Service immediately so they can advise you on the support that may be available. Normally we would recommend that your Programme Director be informed also. If, as a result of your disability, you require additional exam arrangements please speak to a Disability Advisor. These could include extra time, a scribe or reader or a specific location. For further information on admission procedures for Disabled Students see the Student Services website. For further information on applying for disability grants go to the Student Services website.

3.1.6 Career Development Services Career Development Services are available to you throughout your time at the university to help you plan your future. You can even make use of these services prior to starting at UWIC if you need help choosing an appropriate programme of study. At the Cyncoed campus you will find a comprehensive Careers Information Centre providing resources on a wide range of graduate careers, local and national graduate recruiters, postgraduate study and information on work experience and vacation work opportunities both at home and abroad. You’ll also find carefully selected websites and other e-resources specifically for UWIC students on our website. As well as providing up-to-date information the services are also here to provide individual guidance on anything from planning a year out to help with application forms. Group sessions on topics such as career planning, effective applications and interview skills are also available and all students are registered on the Blackboard e-module ‘Your Career’, which provides information and interactive materials you can dip into at any time you wish. Career Advisers visit all the campuses and there are information areas on all campuses open throughout the year. Many students now find the need for part-time work to help finance their studies and gain

valuable work skills. Career Advisers can help with job search skills and the CDS Current Vacancies site (find it via has opportunities for part-time and fulltime work, volunteering and work experience, while our GO Wales Advisers can also help you find work ‘tasters’ and paid vacation work placements. Leavers can also receive continued assistance from our Graduate Support service. You are strongly advised to use Career Development Services before your final year. Remember – it is never too early to start planning your future! For further details visit:

3.1.7 Multi-faith Chaplaincy UWIC’s chaplaincy is a place for those of all faiths and those of none. Our chaplain, Paul Fitzpatrick, is very experienced working within a wide range of different communities and faith understandings. Our Chaplain has an unusual role within the university as he can (and will) provide confidential advice and support to all students and staff at any time of the day or night - he is the university’s ‘3 O’clock in the Morning Man’! His role is both a spiritual and deeply caring one and if you need him he will always be available. UWIC is very well provided with ‘Sacred Spaces’. We have a newly refurbished Chapel in Cyncoed campus which is open to all. Predominantly Christian, the curtains can be drawn to cover the walls so that all faiths (and those who just want a quiet space) may use it. There are dedicated prayer rooms in both Colchester Avenue and Llandaff campuses which are predominantly Muslim and there is a developing plan for a sacred space in Howard Gardens as well. All spaces have foot washing facilities and are always open. All spaces may be used by anyone at any time. Paul may be contacted on 029 2041 7252 or on 07917 818524. His chaplaincy is based in Cyncoed, room A0.14 in the Student Services section.

3.1.8 Student Emergency Guidelines There may be times when you require emergency support and/or assistance. If this is the case during office hours, you should contact the campus Nurse or Student Services on the contact numbers provided at the start of this section or 222, the campus emergency number, and whatever assistance is needed will be provided, if it is available. Out of office hours, you should contact the emergency service required by dialling 999 and informing the relevant authority in UWIC as soon as offices open again. Student Services also produces a guidance leaflet on what to do in emergencies, which is available from any of our offices or website.

3.1.9 What You Can Expect from Student Services • An immediate, polite and professional response when you call in or phone. • A return call to your query within five working days and a written reply within ten working days during term time. • An appointment with a Disability Adviser, Counsellor or Financial Adviser or for career guidance as soon as one is available. • Individual appointments with Student Services staff to be honoured whenever possible. If we arrange to meet with you we will do our best to do so.

3.1.10 What We Expect From You You will keep your appointment or advise us if you decide to cancel. We understand that sometimes timetable changes, emergencies or illness occur. Where possible please cancel any appointment you know you cannot keep. You will let us know if you were unable to keep an appointment or forgot about it. We know that these things happen and sometimes you do not get the opportunity to let us know in advance. We find it helpful to know why students do not keep appointments so would like to hear from you if this happens. It also gives you the opportunity to make a fresh appointment if you wish to do so. You will keep an eye on course notice boards, Blackboard and Students Services notice boards at your campus as well as checking your UWIC email regularly. Information on services and events is regularly updated by Student Services staff and sent to your programme director, placed on Student Services notice boards and distributed through a range of electronic media. If you are to take advantage of your Student Services you need to know what is going on. You will respond to requests for information from us and about us. We need to know what you think about services and how relevant our services are to students’ needs. Student feedback is a vital source of information for this.

3.1.11 Confidentiality Student Services at UWIC runs a highly confidential service and all users have the right to confidentiality. Certain services have additional guidelines and professional codes of ethics to protect clients. Anybody wishing to clarify the confidentiality contract within one of the component services can do so directly and any possible breaches of confidentiality should be raised immediately with the Dean of Students. For further details see the Student Services website.

3.2 Accommodation Services Accommodation Office Location: Cyncoed Campus Opening Hours: 30 am – 4.30 pm (4.00 pm Fridays) Contact(s): Accommodation Services Manager Telephone: 029 20416188/9 E-mail: Website: Halls of Residence Location: Cyncoed Campus – Cyncoed Road Opening Hours: 8.30 am – 6.00 pm (5.00 pm Fridays) Telephone: 029 20416339 Fax: 029 20416479 Location: Plas Gwyn – Llantrisant Road Opening Hours: 8.30 am – 6.00 pm (5.00 pm Fridays) Telephone: 029 20577065 Fax: 029 20577540 Location: Evelian Court – North Road Telephone: 029 20615673 Fax: 029 20618889

3.2.1 Introduction The aim of the Accommodation Office is to provide a comprehensive service for allocating students to places in Halls of Residence or helping them to find private accommodation near their campus of study. We also provide information and guidance on the practical issues of living in private sector accommodation. You can request information by writing, telephoning or visiting the Accommodation Service at the Cyncoed Campus as indicated above. Contact by email. Generally there are no Halls of Residence places allocated to second or third year students on campus and as a result they will have to seek private sector accommodation (see Section 3.2.3 below). However, in exceptional circumstances the office will endeavour to assist second year students who wish to be accommodated in Halls. There are a limited number of single units in campus houses, flats and bed-sits, which have self-catering facilities and are more suitable for mature or postgraduate students. Application forms for one of these places can be obtained from the Accommodation Office at the Cyncoed Campus.

3.2.2 Halls of Residence Unfortunately, the Accommodation Service cannot guarantee all first year students a place in Halls; the number of applicants far exceeds the number of places available. However, normally there is no problem in finding accommodation for students even near the start of term and the Accommodation Service holds a waiting list for Halls during the first few weeks of term for any vacancies that occur. If you wish your name to be placed on this list you can contact the Service at the address or telephone number above. Cyncoed Campus: Accommodation at the Cyncoed Campus comprises 527 single study bedrooms in purpose built low-rise units. Most of the rooms are in traditional Halls of Residence with meals provided in a central dining area. Within these Halls, between 8 and 15 students share a small snack kitchen and bathrooms. All students have their own bedrooms. There are a limited number of self-catered standard and self-catered en suite rooms on this campus. There are also a limited number of single units in campus houses, flats and bedsits, which have selfcatering facilities and are more suitable for mature or postgraduate students. Broadband internet and Voip telephone services have been installed in every room and are included in your rent. N.B As noted in Section 2.8 of this Handbook, student car parking is not permitted on this campus. Plas Gwyn Campus: The Plas Gwyn Campus is located in Llandaff, which is approximately two miles from the City Centre. Although conveniently located for students attending the Llandaff Campus, being only 10 minutes walk away, the Halls of Residence accommodate students attending all of UWIC’s sites. Plas Gwyn consists of 391 single study bedrooms, all of which are self-catered and have en suite bathroom facilities. The rooms are grouped in flats of eight, in which students share a communal kitchen/dining area. Broadband internet and Voip telephone services have been installed in every room in UWIC Halls of Residence and are included in your rent. Evelian Court: In addition to the Cyncoed and Plas Gwyn Halls, the UWIC accommodation service has a nomination agreement with Unite plc for the allocation of all of the rooms at Evelian Court, which is situated just under a mile from the Llandaff Campus and just 2 miles from the city centre. There are 253 rooms, all are self-catered and have en suite bathroom facilities; the kitchen is shared between four or five persons in each flat. There are a few premier (double en suite) rooms and some self-catered studio flats. The studios are more suited to mature or postgraduate students. All rooms are let on a single occupancy basis. Internet access is available in all of the rooms. Please note that contracts for this accommodation are between the student and Unite plc. N.B As noted in Section 2.8 of this Handbook, student car parking is not available on this site.

Full-time Residences Managers are present on the campuses and are supported by a team of resident student wardens and security staff. They will endeavour to make the transition from home to university life as smooth as possible with evening and weekend duty rotas ensuring that a member of staff and a student warden are always available to deal with queries or emergencies. Smoking is not permitted in any UWIC Halls of Residence, including study bedrooms.

3.2.3 Private Sector Accommodation If you apply for assistance in finding private accommodation or are unsuccessful in obtaining a place in Halls of Residence, you will be sent an updated list of available houses, flats and lodgings, together with useful facts on tenancy agreements and general housing advice. The accommodation list is printed in geographical areas and gives detailed information on type (bed-sit, flat, house etc), number of students needed, facilities available and cost. The list is produced during the Spring Term and is then updated at regular intervals. The Accommodation Service also holds a housing fayre just after the ‘A’ level results in August to help students find a place in the Halls of Residence. While the Accommodation Service tries as far as possible to use only properties of a reasonable standard, not all of the properties will have been inspected, so the list does not imply recommendation or approval. The Accommodation Service will have a list of students seeking to share private accommodation, together with their programme and telephone numbers. This will be sent with the private sector accommodation list. While it is your own responsibility to make satisfactory accommodation arrangements, the staff are available to give you as much help as possible. You can visit the Accommodation Service at any time during normal office hours, as indicated above. Average private sector rents in the Cardiff area for self-catering accommodation range from £55 to £65 per week excluding services. This is usually a furnished house or flat, which is shared with other students. You will have a separate bedroom and a communal bathroom, kitchen and living room/dining area. You may be asked to sign a fixed period tenancy agreement. Be careful! Before you sign any agreement make sure that you have read the terms very carefully and understood your obligation. If you are unsure about the terms and conditions please contact the Accommodation Service or you can obtain advice from the Housing Help Centre on St. Mary Street, Cardiff. Tel: 029 20871448. If you sign a contract and then decide to move out, you remain liable for the rent unless someone else can be found to take over your place. In privately owned accommodation, where the landlord is resident, it is highly likely that you will be able to give notice of leaving before the end of the fixed term. You should make sure that you are going to be comfortable with the accommodation before you sign anything. Nine months is a long time to be living somewhere where you are not happy.

Most landlords/ladies will offer an ‘Assured Short Hold Tenancy Agreement’. This may be a written or spoken agreement. The rent and terms will be what you agree. Short Hold tenancies run for a fixed period, usually coinciding with the academic year. This tenancy offers the landlord a right to repossess the property at the end of the tenancy provided he/she has given proper notice. Beware that if you sign an ‘Assured Short Hold’ agreement you are bound to stay for the time you have signed for. There are no rights for you to leave before the end date unless you have persuaded the landlord/lady to add an additional clause giving you this right. If you do leave early, without the landlord/lady’s agreement, you face the possible consequence of being sued for the balance of the rent to the end of the contractual period. Try and persuade the landlord/lady to offer you individual contracts. A ‘Global’ contract, that is one which you all sign when you rent a place, could lead to difficulties should everyone leave apart from yourself. One such difficulty is that you could end up paying the rent for the whole house. From 1 April 2007, all deposits for accommodation with Assured Shorthold Tenancies have to be paid by landlords wither into a National Deposit Scheme set up by the Government or have Deposit Protection Insurance. Leaflets about your rights are available from the Accommodation Office. The Housing Act goes into much greater depth and if you are in any doubt about your status as a tenant or do not understand anything relating to your tenancy then contact the Accommodation Office.

3.2.4 Private Lodgings (Meals Provided) Students in lodgings take a room in a house where the landlord/lady lives on the premises. Meals are provided and the average cost for bed, breakfast and an evening meal for 7 days is around £65. You should note that landlords/ladies are free to negotiate their own charges and agree them with you. After seeing the lodgings you should not move in unless you intend to stay the agreed period. If you want to leave, then it is expected that a minimum of 28 days written notice be given during term time (preferably terminating at the end of a term). The same applies if the landlord/lady asks you to leave. If some other arrangement is made and this is mutually agreeable to both of you then this is acceptable. Please ensure you are very clear about what is included in the rental charge and whether there are any limitations on the use of any facilities.

3.2.5 Accommodation Agencies You will be sent a list of Accommodation Agencies, which belong to a professional organisation called ALMA (Association of Letting & Management Agents), which is supported by Cardiff County Council. You should use an ALMA member if you want a quality professional service. ALMA works

towards providing a high quality service to clients and contributes to improving services within the private rented housing sector. ALMA also provides information on current issues relating to the private rented sector including updates on changes in legislation. ALMA exists to provide a fair deal to those who use its members’ services, so if you have any problems contact them on 029 20871448. Agencies will charge you a fee once you have accepted a property. Expect to pay no more than a week’s rent. Never pay an agency up front simply to go on their list – this is illegal.

3.2.6 Special Requirements If you have mobility problems, a small number of bedrooms are available for use by those with physical disabilities. Any prospective student who has a disability is encouraged to make early contact with the Accommodation Service to discuss his/her individual needs.

3.2.7 TV Licences If you live in halls of residence and use a TV or IPTV (through your PC) in your own room you are required by law to have a TV Licence; this can be purchased from any Post Office.

3.2.8 Catering Facilities Contact: Policy: /Catering Services.aspx Each campus has its own refectory; details of opening times can be located within the UWIC web pages and within each catering outlet. Menus are designed to meet the needs of the majority of students and are regularly reviewed through focus groups and student feedback surveys. A range of traditional, international and Grab & Go deli items and Fair Trade and Organic Foods are provided. UWIC Catering and Hospitality Services hold membership of the Food & Drink Guild of the Vegetarian Society UK and only use their approved recipes. Enhanced Sports Nutrition is also available on the Cyncoed Campus in the Sports Café. Please take the opportunity to attend one of the Catering and Hospitality Service’s monthly surgeries (first Wednesday of each month between 12 noon and 12.30 pm) to meet your local campus manager to discuss your catering needs. Guides are available on each campus on the following: • Vegetarian Dishes and Products • Smart Card and Catering • Specialised and Religious Diets • Carbo Boost and Sports Nutrition N.B. Food and drink are not allowed in any teaching area

3.2.9 Meal Passes Catered students will be given meal passes on registration. Please look after them carefully, because a replacement fee will be charged by the Catering Department. Students studying at the Colchester Avenue Campus may take their lunch at that campus. Arrangements can also be made for evening meals to be taken at the Colchester Avenue Campus (Monday – Thursday), provided at least one week’s prior notice is given to the Refectory Manager at the Cyncoed Campus. Save up to 32% on all meals with the home comforts package. The scheme enables students to benefit from significant cost savings by purchasing meals “up front”. Meal packages can be taken at any campus catering outlet during standard opening hours. Details of the home comforts package is available at each catering outlet. For best value and nutrition students are recommended to have an evening meal, which consists of soup of the day, main choice options (3 choices minimum), desserts and tea/coffee or squash. Details of the Smart Card use and your catering facilities are available within the ‘Smart Card’ guide available at each catering outlet.

3.2.10 Frequently Asked Questions Q. When do you apply for accommodation? A. As soon as you have made UWIC one of your choices of University. Q. How do you apply? A. a) By completing the application form for a place in Halls. Or b) By completing the application form for assistance in finding private rented accommodation. Q. Where do you send the completed form? A. To the: Accommodation Office University of Wales Institute, Cardiff Cyncoed Campus Warwick House Cyncoed Road Cyncoed Cardiff CF23 6XD Q. What will happen next? A. You will be sent an acknowledgement within 10 working days of your application form being received. Offers are then made in the following order:a) If you are an Unconditional Applicant, you will be measured against the allocation policy and if you satisfy the allocation criteria you will be offered a place in Halls and will be sent a Licence Agreement in June / July. b) If you are a Conditional Applicant you must wait until August when the examination results are published, to confirm your status via UCAS. Your application will then be measured against the allocation criteria and if you satisfy the criteria you will be offered a place in Halls

and will be sent a Licence Agreement. c) Should your offer of a course place be conditional on examination results other than ‘A’ levels, you should contact the Accommodation Office as soon as you receive confirmation of your results. d) if you have obtained your grades but do not fulfil the allocation criteria you will be sent a letter saying you have been unsuccessful in obtaining a Halls place, but your name will be held on a reserve list. You will also be sent a full private rented accommodation information pack. e) if you are a local student, you application will be held on a waiting list for any vacancies that occur once term has started. Most local students are successful in obtaining a Halls place once term has started. Q. How is Halls accommodation allocated? A. Priority for places in Halls is given to first year undergraduate students. However, because the demand for Halls each year is high, the allocation criteria are distance from Cardiff and date order of application received by the Accommodation Service. Hall places at Cyncoed are suitable for students studying at Cyncoed and Colchester Avenue and places at Plas Gwyn and Evelian Court are available for students studying at all of UWIC’s campuses. Q. When will you know what kind of accommodation you are to be offered? A. If you have accepted an unconditional offer and applied for Halls you will be notified in June/July. If you have accepted a conditional offer you will hear late August/early September following the 'A' Level results. While every effort will be made to try to give you your first choice of accommodation it may not always be possible because there may be more people seeking a particular type of accommodation than spaces available. Q. How do you accept your place in Halls? A. You will sign and return one copy of the Licence Agreement. You will also have to pay a deposit either by credit/debit card – details will be in the offer pack. You will need to either provide either credit/debit card details for the Licence period. We are aware that you may be concerned about late payment of maintenance grants or loans; however, the first month’s fees and the deposit would be required in order to secure your place in halls. Attach two recent passport sized photographs (with your name on the back). Enclose your signed Agreement, Deposit and Payment of Licence Fee with the two photographs in the FREEPOST envelope provided and return within seven days to guarantee your place in Halls of Residence. Please make sure that all the necessary enclosures are sent at the same time as omission can cause administrative delays. Q. What if you do not want to accept the Halls accommodation offered? A. Return the cancellation form immediately so the accommodation can be re-allocated to students on the reserve list. Q. What if you have a complaint about your Halls accommodation? A. If you are living on campus, the Residences Team is responsible for the running of the Halls

and if you have any problems or queries feel free to approach the Halls Managers directly or you can go through your Student Warden. Q. How much will Halls of Residence cost? A. Full details of the costs of the accommodation you have been allocated will be sent with the offer pack. Rents differ according to the type and location of the rooms you have been offered. Where a student has been offered catered accommodation, the catering package comprises breakfast and evening meal (weekdays), brunch (Saturday) and lunch (Sunday). Residents pay a caution deposit before moving into Halls, no reservation can be confirmed without payment of this fee. This deposit will be returned to you at the end of the academic year once you have vacated your room. Deductions will be made for any damage caused to your room or the communal area for which you are responsible. Misuse of fire appliances will not be tolerated and will result in immediate expulsion from Halls and a fine of £150. Payment is made either by direct debit or credit/debit card on a termly basis. It is important to note that all Contracts of Residence for Cyncoed, Plas Gwyn and Evelian Court are for the full 39 week licence period. A place in Halls is not, therefore, suitable for students who have to spend part of their study period outside the Cardiff area. The Licence Fee is payable for the whole of the Licence Period. You are not entitled to a remission of any part of the Licence Fee even though you may have arrived late at the start of a term, or may have vacated the Accommodation before the end of the Licence Period. Late payment of the Licence Fee in excess of seven days after the presentation of any direct debit or credit/debit card will result in the Resident being invoiced for an additional 10% of that part of the Licence Fee included in the payment. For further details, for example of health and safety issues, insurance and making a complaint, visit the accommodation web site.

3.3 International Office Location: Central Administration – Llandaff Campus Opening Hours: 8.30 am – 5.00 pm (4.30 pm Fridays) Contact(s): Dean of International Students Telephone: 029 20416035 Website:

3.3.1 Introduction The International Office provides information, advice and counselling on non-academic matters, such as finance, health care, immigration, visas, employment regulations and services to all international (non-EU) students and their dependants, regardless of nationality, religion, gender or status. Advice is offered free of charge and without discrimination and further details are provided in a separate International Student Handbook, in regular newsletters and on the international pages of UWIC’s web site.

The service operates according to the UKCISA/AISA Code of Ethics and the rules and Code of Standards of the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner. Since international students often experience different problems to ‘home’ students, a specialist support team is available, which is comprised of twelve members of staff, who deal with recruitment, welfare, language support and study skills. Confidential counselling is also available. The International Office works closely with Student Services and may refer students for more general advice and counselling. Although the main International Office is located on the Llandaff Campus, two members of the team are based at the Colchester Avenue site. For students studying at Cyncoed or Howard Gardens campuses, members of the support team will be happy to make arrangements to meet with students there.

3.3.2 Financial Support The rules relating to your entitlements as an international student vary to some extent according to the length of your residence in the UK prior to the course, your country of origin and your immigration status. The advice below on Fees, Loans, Financial Contingency Funds, Benefits and Working in the UK, therefore, refer to the following categories: • EEA students - students from Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Cyprus, Poland, Malta, Estonia, Slovenia, Lithuania, Hungary, Latvia, Slovakia, Czech Republic. • Non- EEA students - students from all other countries • Refugees Fees, Loans, Financial Contingency Fund: You must meet the residence rules to be eligible for the ‘Home’ rate of fee rather than the ‘overseas’ rate or for a loan or help from the Financial Contingency Fund. That is, you must have been ‘ordinarily resident’ in the UK (and not wholly or mainly for the purpose of receiving full-time education) for three years before the start of the academic year in which your course begins and you must be ‘settled’ within the meaning of the Immigration Act 1971. If you were away from the UK, because you or your family were temporarily employed abroad, you may be treated as if your ‘ordinary’ residence in the UK has not been interrupted. If you do not meet the three year residence requirement (and your course is an eligible course) you may still be eligible for the ‘home’ rate of fee and may be entitled to apply for support towards your tuition fees, for a loan or help from the Financial Contingency Fund if you, your husband or wife or your parents are: • recognised by the British Government as a refugee and have been ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom throughout the period since you were so recognised; • UK nationals who have returned from working in another member country and have got a

job in the UK and have been ordinarily resident in the EEA for the three years prior to the first day of the first academic year of your course; • migrant workers from another EEA country, who have been ordinarily resident in the EEA for the three years prior to the first day of the first academic year of your course. If the Home Office has granted you exceptional leave to remain or stay in the UK, you must meet the three year ordinary residence requirement to qualify for ‘home’ fee status, but the settled status requirement will not apply to you. Fees only award: If you are from another EU country and do not meet the residence rule, you may still qualify for ‘home’ fee status if you have been ordinarily resident in any country within the EEA (and not wholly or mainly for the purpose of receiving full-time education) for three years immediately preceding the start of your course. If you have home fee status you may qualify for a 'fees only' award. Applications should be sent to the DfES, 2F-Area B, Mowden Hall, Staindrop Road, Darlington DL3 9BG. You will not be eligible for a student loan if you receive a 'fees only' award. If you are a student from the EEA or a full-time fee paying international student, there are different rules which apply to each group.

3.3.3 Benefits Public Funds include a range of income-related benefits, together with housing and homelessness support. In most cases, you will not be eligible to claim such benefits but certain exceptions do apply. If you are a national of an EEA member state you have the right to reside in the UK for the purpose of vocational training or education, provided that you have sufficient resources to avoid becoming a burden on the social assistance system of the host member state. You can claim benefits if you are a part-time student or in a vulnerable category (such as lone parent). However, you will need to show that you are ‘habitually resident’ in the UK and if you claim Income Support, Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit it could have an effect on your immigration status, as the Home Office will be notified of your claim by the Benefits Agency and any future application for an EEA Residence permit may be refused. If you enter the UK as an international (non-EEA) student, you will need to show that you are enrolled on a full-time course of day time study and can pay your course fees. You will also need to demonstrate that you can support and accommodate yourself without recourse to public funds and without working in the UK. You should not claim any benefits as not only is the claim likely to be refused but the Benefits Agency may contact the Home Office about your claim. You may then have difficulty extending your leave to remain in the UK if the Home Office doubts that you have sufficient funds to support and accommodate yourself and your dependants. Refugees and those granted Exceptional Leave to Remain Refugees are entitled to claim benefits if they fulfil the normal eligibility requirements.

Since 5th February 1996 all rights to Income Support, Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit are denied for all new in-country asylum applicants and for asylum seekers appealing against a negative decision on their asylum claim made after this date. ‘In country’ applicants are those who apply for asylum after entry into the UK.

3.3.4 National Health Service (NHS) Treatment If your course lasts six months or more you will be eligible for NHS treatment, as will your husband or wife and children if they live with you in the UK and have been given immigration leave as dependants of a full-time student. You can, therefore, receive free hospital treatment and register as a patient with a doctor. A cost will be levied against any course of dental treatment or if an operation or chiropodist is consulted. Students are advised to establish before a course of dental treatment begins exactly what the charges will be and if they have been accepted as a patient of the NHS. Students must be registered with a GP in order to obtain dental treatment as well as medical care. The information from UKCOSA states “all full-time international students pursuing a course of at least six months duration are exempt from charges from the NHS. Further, these students are eligible to receive treatment on the same basis as other UK residents”.

3.3.5 Working in the UK EEA Students: EEA nationals may work in the UK. No permission is needed. Non - EEA Students: When you arrive in the UK your passport will be stamped, which will either be with a prohibition or a restriction on employment. Students coming on courses of six months or longer with a restricted stamp are allowed to carry out part-time work for 20 hours a week during term time. These conditions also apply to students in their dissertation period, even if they are not attending regular lectures at university. During official university vacations (Christmas, Easter and Summer vacations) all students are entitled to work full-time for these limited periods. It is important that you check the stamp in your passport and adhere to these rules; otherwise you may find yourself in an illegal situation. If you have a prohibition stamp or are in any doubt, contact the International Student Welfare Officer for advice.

3.3.6 Tax and National Insurance International students working in the UK will be subject to UK taxation rules and must pay National Insurance contributions and tax in the same way as residents of the UK. To meet this requirement, a National Insurance Number (NINO) is necessary. Students should apply to the local office of the Department of Social Security; a passport is required and details of the proposed employment. It may take some time to obtain a NINO, but work can commence at any time while an application is being processed.

3.3.7 Banks Students in receipt of an award, including EU students with fees only awards, are usually eligible for the full student package at a bank. Other international students can open bank accounts in the UK and will normally receive a cheque book and cash card, but, since, in most cases, they will not be given the full student package, they will not normally be provided with a cheque guarantee card or be granted an overdraft facility.

3.3.8 Welfare Support The International Office can offer welfare support and advice throughout the year on issues such as dealing with unfamiliar UK procedures, opening bank accounts, finding accommodation, visa queries and putting students in touch with each other. The staff also organise a social programme during the year, holding parties, cultural events and a series of excursions within the UK. Faith facilities are also provided through multi-faith prayer rooms on the Llandaff and Colchester Avenue sites and a Christian chapel on the Cyncoed Campus, which can be adapted for use by those of other religions. Alternatively, various churches, mosques, synagogues and temples are located not far from each campus and in the city centre. The International Student Welfare Officers are Natalie Buckland (Colchester Avenue Campus) and Louise Macphail (Llandaff, Cyncoed and Howard Gardens Campuses). You can contact them for any advice at and

3.3.9 Language and Study Skills Support Free language and study skills advice is offered to all international students from outside the EU. Study skills classes for small groups of students with similar weaknesses and one to one tuition are available on appointment with the English language support tutors. Many students find this service invaluable when preparing for presentations, writing assignments and improving grammar skills. The International Student Language and Study Skills Support Tutor is Louise Mcphail and she can be contacted on

3.3.10 Accommodation As an international student we normally advise that you seek self-catering accommodation either in Halls of Residence or the Private Sector, so that any special dietary or faith considerations can be adequately met. You must book Halls of Residence accommodation through the International Office who will make all the necessary arrangements for you, provided you have applied by the deadline date. It is generally not possible, or advisable, for you as an overseas student to book permanent private rented accommodation before you arrive in Cardiff. The University regrets that it cannot enter into any form of tenancy agreement or contract with a landlord on your behalf. The International Office will be happy to book temporary accommodation for International

(non EU) students and assist you in finding permanent private rented accommodation during the induction period. Students from EEA member states who wish to secure private rented accommodation should book a room in a local guest house and be prepared to arrive well in advance of the start of your study period, allowing yourself enough time to familiarise yourself with the city and to arrange permanent accommodation. We are sorry there are no family facilities on campus at present. If you are bringing your family you are advised to come to Cardiff alone, in the first instance, to arrange accommodation for your family as a prolonged stay in a hotel or guest house can be expensive if your family accompanies you. Students from EEA member states can obtain information about local Guest Houses from the Accommodation Office.

3.3.11 Food Cardiff is a cosmopolitan city and is well served by ethnic restaurants and specialist food suppliers, such as Chinese supermarkets and Hallal and Kosher butchers.

3.4 Learning Centre Services IT Helpdesk Opening Hours:

Internal telephone: External telephone: E-mail: IT Rules & Regulations: Learning Centres Website: Opening hours: Location: Opening Hours:

8.00 am – 9.00 pm (Monday to Thursday) 8.00 am – 4.30 pm (Friday) 10.00 am – 4.00 pm (Saturday) 12.00 pm – 5.00 pm (Sunday) 7000 029 20417000

Telephone: E-mail: Librarian: Opening hours: Colchester Avenue 8.45 am – 9.00 pm (Monday – Thursday) 8.45 am – 5.00 pm (Friday) 10.00 am – 4.00 pm (Saturday) 12.00 pm – 5.00 pm (Sunday) 029 20416241 Aimee Jones

Location: Opening Hours:

Cyncoed 8.45 am – 8. 30 pm (Monday – Thursday)

Telephone: E-mail: Librarian: Location: Opening Hours:

8.45 am – 5.00 pm (Friday) 10.00 am – 4.00 pm (Saturday) 12.00 pm – 5.00 pm (Sunday) 029 20416242 Jenny Jones Howard Gardens 8.45 am – 9.00 pm (Monday – Thursday) 8.45 am – 5.00 pm (Friday) 10.00 am – . 4.00 pm (Saturday) 12.00 pm – 5.00 pm (Sunday)

Telephone: E-mail: Librarian:

029 20416243 Emma Adamson

Location: Opening Hours:

Llandaff 8.45 am – 9.00 pm (Monday – Thursday) 8.45 am – 5.00 pm (Friday) 10.00 am – 4.00 pm (Saturday) 12.00 pm – 5.00 pm (Sunday)

Telephone: E-mail: Librarian:

029 20416244 Rev. Jennifer Welsh

NB These are normal term-time opening hours. Vacation opening times will be displayed at each Campus before the end of each term. Rarely and due to unforeseen circumstances, it may be necessary to change opening hours. The issue and service desks and all computers in these centres are closed down 15 minutes before closing time, so please remember to check out or return any items before this time. The Learning Centres have dedicated IT Helpdesks with trained IT adviser specialists to assist with student queries during opening hours. ‘Five Minute Guides’ are also available in the open access areas.

3.4.1 Introduction Every UWIC campus has a modern, well-equipped, professionally staffed learning centre. Facilities include: IT suites, specialist libraries, learning lounges and group areas, quiet study rooms and easy to use audio visual, photocopying and printing facilities. 24 hour internet access is available on some campuses. When you join UWIC, you gain automatic access to all facilities at every Campus.

3.4.2 Learning Materials and Information Skills To support your study and research, each Learning Centre is well-equipped with lending collections of books and DVDs, as well as reference collections of subject-specific journals, dictionaries and encyclopaedias; as well as an extensive art slide image library at the Howard Gardens campus. Electronic inductions are available via the web pages. Electronic resources such as e-journals, e-books and research databases are universally available using your login and password. You can renew, reserve and request books from other campuses online via the Library catalogue Locate and have access to the collections of the British Library via the interlibrary loans scheme. In addition to all of this, multi-skilled staff are available to respond to your enquiries and provide research skills training sessions.

3.4.3 Borrowing Each Learning Centre houses a wide range of information in a variety of formats, including books, journals, videos, slides, on-line and CD-ROMs. Most of this material may be borrowed and the loan periods range from four hour to three week loans. As a member of UWIC you may borrow up to 15 items at a time. Items can be renewed (extending the loan period) either in person, by telephone or on-line. However, fines will be incurred on the late return of any items. There are reciprocal arrangements in place with other local and national libraries and universities, so that inter-library loans and information can be quickly accessed (see the library website or inter-library loans leaflet for further details).

3.4.4 Availability of IT Service Access to the IT facilities at the Llandaff and Cyncoed Learning Resource Centres and Colchester Avenue (4th floor) is normally available as indicated above. Elsewhere, the Open Access facilities outside the centres are available to a published timetable; use of the computers in the libraries is subject to the opening hours of the campus Centre. Staff and students are permitted to use workstations at any UWIC campus during evenings, weekends and vacation periods provided they are registered computer users and agree to the regulations governing the acceptable use of IT facilities. 24 hour computing facilities are available for all UWIC students to use at the Cyncoed Learning Centre and there is 21 hour access at the Llandaff Learning Centre. 24 hour computing facilities are available for all UWIC students to use at the Cyncoed Learning Centre and there is 21 hour access at the Llandaff Learning Centre. Unlimited Broadband internet access, Hallsnet, is available in all rooms in UWIC’s Halls of Residence and there are web links on the Library website to many of the electronic resources to which the Learning Centre subscribes. The majority of public access workstations are Pentium 4 PCs running Windows XP on the

desktop, offering a wide range of software, including Microsoft’s Office suite, as well as other common applications, such as e-mail, Internet and Intranet, browsing facilities, programming languages, statistical analysis and graphical design packages, in addition to Blackboard, UWIC’s virtual learning environment (VLE). Assistive software is also available to support disabled students. Library and Information Services also provide free IT Training sessions on a variety of Microsoft applications, specialist software packages and enhancing your IT skills to help and assist you through your course here at UWIC. We offer courses at beginner and intermediate levels; catering for all your IT requirements. For more information on IT Training or to reserve a place on a course, please visit the website at

3.4.5 Personal E-mail Accounts Students may use their own e-mail services for personal communications, but you are expected to access your UWIC e-mail account for official university communication and to check this regularly for new messages and announcements, ensuring there is enough space in your mail box.

3.4.6 Photocopying Each Learning Centre has black and white and colour copiers and scanners for you to use. The copiers use the ID card system as a means of payment. Simply add credit by using the charge machines in each campus Learning Centre. Additional printing and copying services are available from the UWIC copy shops, which also maintain all copiers and printers within each Learning Centre. UWIC has a copyright licence to enable students and staff to copy extracts from publications normally up to 5% of the work. Details of the licence are posted next to each photocopier or check on

3.4.7 Rules and Regulations The rules and regulations covering the use of all Learning Centre services, facilities, IT services and Hallsnet are posted on the relevant web sites identified above. When you first log on top the UWIC network, you must accept and acknowledge that you have read these. Once accepted, you will not be prompted again, but you are bound by the rules and regulations. Any breach of these is likely to result in a response from UWIC, including formal disciplinary action.

3.4.8 Wireless Access Students are able to connect their personal computer equipment to the university’s wireless network in order to gain access to Internet, university web services (Portal, Email, Blackboard,

Intranet, Locate, etc) and university printing resources. For further information and availability of this service please visit or contact ISD Helpdesk.

3.5 Learning Support Learning Support Location: online; learning centre training rooms and within courses. E-mail: UWIC’s learning support programme aims to enhance the independent learning skills of all students. Throughout the academic year, on all campuses, we provide bookable study skills sessions on a wide range of topics. These include academic English and essay writing, citation and referencing, revision techniques for exams, different types of note-taking etc. You can reach us in several ways. 1. Go to the learning centres page on your student portal: From here you can access the pages describing our workshops, the workshop timetable, and the page to book yourself into them using your student number. Most workshops take place in the Learning Centre training rooms. 2. We also have a bank of interactive, task-based online study skills sessions available through the virtual learning environment, Blackboard. The link is on the learning centres page above. We review and add to the sessions regularly. In addition to the learning material online, we have many downloadable worksheets e.g. on aspects of English grammar and style, and an annotated reference list of useful books and websites. 3. Email our online helpdesk: You can send us quick study skills queries (keep them to a few lines please) and you can email us in confidence a short writing sample (up to 500 words) for language appraisal. We will return the sample marked up with suggestions as to how you could improve. You can also use the email contact to request topics for new study skills sessions both on and off line. The learning support team also visits courses to do specialist workshops and lectures. Talk to your programme leader about arranging a visit.

3.6 Students’ Union Campus Centre, Cyncoed Campus Main Reception Telephone: 029 20416190 Fax: 029 20765569 Athletic Union Telephone: 029 20416953 Membership Services Telephone: 029 20416344 President: Claire Rafferty Telephone: 029 20416191 E-mail: Vice - President: Alex Hales Telephone: 029 20416196 E-mail: Llandaff Students’ Union Offices Membership Services Telephone: 029 20416196 Marketing and Media Telephone: 029 20416335 Howard Gardens Students’ Union Offices Telephone: 029 20416192 Fax: 029 20416193 Colchester Avenue Campus All enquiries should be directed to the Campus Centre, Cyncoed Campus

3.6.1 Introduction The Students’ Union (UWICSU) is an independent organisation headed by a Board of Trustees, consisting of a number of elected and appointed student representatives. The elected officers are the President and Vice President who are voted in through a cross campus ballot each year by the student body. The appointed student representatives are the School Representatives for each School in the University which ensures that there is representation at the Board of Trustee level from across the student body. The Board of Trustees are supported by a team of full time staff led by the Chief Executive who manage the operations of the Students’ Union on a day to day basis The SU has three main roles: to support and represent the students both locally and nationally; to facilitate student clubs, societies and interest groups; and to provide affordable commercial services to help support the development of its non-commercial operations. When you enrol as a student you automatically become a member of the SU which provides valuable advice and information to help and support in many aspects of student life, which is partially funded through a block grant fund received from the University. The Students’ Union funds all competitive and performance sport through its Athletic Union at both British Universities and national league level. Funding is also available for individuals

who can compete at BUCS or National / International level. You will receive information from the SU about the Student Identification Card that you are entitled to which attracts a range of offers and discounts to you locally both on and off campus. You will receive this information in the freshers’ guide, via the website and at the Freshers’ Fayre. Alternatively you can call into any of the SU offices for further information. Membership of the SU is optional and should you wish to opt out you can do so by advising the Central Office in writing. You will still be able to join clubs and societies but you will not be able to stand for office, or vote and you will not be able to claim many of the discounts that the SU membership offers. As a student you will be expected to: • Produce your Student Identification Card as a form of identity at any event organised by or associated with the SU. • Act in a responsible manner when visiting other establishments and act as ambassadors for both the SU and UWIC • Act in a responsible manner when attending SU premises, particularly the bars late at night. • All the campuses are set within residential areas and you are expected to show consideration for residents at all times. Students found to be causing disruption or nuisance may face disciplinary action from either or both the SU and the University.

3.6.2 The Campus Centre The 2009/2010 Academic Year sees the launch of the new ‘Campus Centre’ at the UWIC Cyncoed Campus. This new SU building will have central Students’ Union and Athletic Union Offices, membership services facilities incorporating advice and representation, a training and development meeting room as well as social and catering facilities. The building will be the hub for all students, staff and visitors to Cyncoed. It will incorporate a bar and catering operation that includes table service providing quality food for reasonable prices. Overall, the centre will be a place where students can socialise, relax and receive advice and information on issues that are important to them.

3.6.3 Membership Services The SU has a Vice President Education and a Membership Services Manager based at the Campus Centre in Cyncoed. They provide students with an independent, confidential advisory service covering academic issues and provide support and representation on academic appeals and complaints. They also have links with a range of organisations that can provide specialist advice on housing, health and other welfare issues. As well as the Membership Services department on the Cyncoed campus, there is also a Membership Services assistant based at the SU office on the Llandaff campus who also deals with the above issues.

3.6.4 Clubs and Societies The Students’ Union supports the sports clubs that operate through the Athletic Union (see below) and a range of societies for students aimed at providing shared interest activities outside of the academic environment. If there is not an existing club or society, the Students’ Union encourages students to get involved and maybe start a new society from scratch. If you have an idea for a new activity or one-off event or are hoping to set up a new society in the future, then the SU can offer initial funding of up to £100, Information and Advice, Use of Facilities and Administrative Support. It is a great way of making new friends and developing new skills and having fun at the same time. Visit for more information.

3.6.5 Representation 1. Sabbatical Officers There are two Sabbatical Officers within the Students’ Union: - The President and VicePresident. They are elected each year by the student body to work on a full-time basis. Their main priority is to represent students at University level through various boards and committees. If you have issues or problems during your time at University then your Sabbatical Officers are there to help. 2. School Representatives The School Representative holds a key role for both the University and the Students’ Union. They ensure the student voice is heard at a higher level to StARs. Under the direction and resources of the Students’ Union, the School representative will deal with more wide ranging problems that occur across the School they represent. This is an extremely important role as it ensures that, through the representative, all students have an input into areas such as programme content and delivery, assessment and feedback, learning and teaching, and timetabling. 3. Student Academic Representatives (StARS) StARs are the front line representatives of the students on their course. This puts them in the unique position of being able to influence their own learning and that of their peer group. Becoming a StAR has numerous advantages and the job also looks good on your CV. It will gain you many more transferable skills that will help you in later life, including debating skills, communication and representation.

3.6.6 Student Sport and The Athletic Union All competitive and performance sport at UWIC is organised by the Athletic Union which is based in the Campus Centre, Cyncoed . Details of all the clubs that compete can be found on the Students’ Union website: and there will be stands at the Freshers Fayre which takes place during the

first week of term giving information on the clubs themselves, training times and trials. UWIC has a proud history of sporting success and, unlike many other universities, many of our teams compete in local and national leagues. All our teams compete on Wednesdays in the BUCS (British Universities and Colleges Sport) competition and students from all the schools are encouraged to participate and the Students Union supports keeping Wednesday afternoon free for sport societies and cultural activities. Many of our students achieve International Honours and compete at major events such as the World Student Games, Commonwealth and Olympics. We always want to encourage participation and if we don’t currently run a club then it is possible to set one up, and the Athletic Union is also there for individual competitors who want to represent the University. Sport Scholarships The aim of the UWIC Sports Bursary & Scholarship Scheme is to assist students of exceptional sporting ability to develop their academic and sporting talents to their fullest potential, and thereby to encourage the development of University sport. The aim is to ensure that each scholar is encouraged and enabled to reach his or her full potential in sport and in academic endeavours. The scheme offers a learner-centred experience in which scholars receive guidance and support, enabling them to take greater control of their lifestyle to facilitate the co-development of their academic and sporting potential. As part of UWIC sports scholarship scheme, chosen scholars will receive the following benefits; • Conditioning/Fitness Testing and Monitoring: Access to fitness rooms and weight training facilities, advice on fitness training, and fitness testing at regular intervals. • Gold Card Membership of the University Sport and Leisure Club. • Subsidised Sports Physiotherapy and Sports Massage.

3.6.7 Commercial Services The Students’ Union provides a number of commercial services across UWIC which help to support the non commercial services such as welfare and advice and representation. The SU is not for profit, and any income generated by the commercial areas is re-invested back into the SU providing services for you, the students. Bars The new Campus Centre at Cyncoed will be the main social area, incorporating a bar and catering operation which will include full table service. It will also provide an outdoor terrace and areas where students can meet and relax. Howard Gardens is the laid back relaxed bar that is an essential part of the art and design culture and is becoming recognised as one of the coolest live gig venues in Cardiff. All the bars are available at certain times for students, clubs, societies and courses to organise fund

raising events. Llandaff Campus has a cosy balcony bar in the Student Centre that has pool tables and is an ideal place to meet up and chill during the day. Retail There are three Students’ Union shops selling a range of confectionery, groceries, newspapers and snacks. The Store at Cyncoed has an off-licence and is open in the evenings to cater for the residential students.

3.6.8 Media 2009/2010 will see the launch of the new Marketing and Media Centre. The centre will be based at the students’ Centre at the Llandaff Campus. It will provide the main base for all Student Union work and activities relating to Marketing and Media. The centre will also offer advice and representation services. Retro This is the highly regarded Students’ Union newspaper that raises issues and provides information for UWIC students on what is happening both on and off campus. It is an ideal opportunity to engage the students in life at UWIC and Cardiff and is a great way for budding journalists to get some of their work into print. Website The Students’ Union website provides one of the key ways to keep in touch with news, events and gigs. It also allows students to access information and advice, membership services along with AU clubs and society details. The address is so make sure you check it out.

3.6.9 Fair Trade at UWIC In 2007, UWIC Students Union as part of its strategic planning set itself the aim of achieving fair-trade status for itself and the University. This aim was presented to the Vice-Chancellors Management Board at the start of the academic year, and it was agreed that the Students’ Union would take the lead role in this initiative. One of our first tasks was to set up a Fairtrade Steering group. The members of this steering group included representatives from the Students’ Union, academic staff, student representatives and the catering and hospitality staff. As a Students’ Union we became committed to supplying Fairtrade products and to achieving Fairtrade status. To achieve Fairtrade University Status we were dedicated to achieving the following goals: 1. Fairtrade foods will be made available for sale in all campus shops and used in all cafes/ restaurants/bars. Where this is not possible the University and SU commit to begin to use

Fairtrade products in these operations as soon as it becomes practical to do so. 2. Fairtrade coffee and tea will be served at all meetings hosted by the University and the SU and in all University and SU management offices. 3. The process of achieving Fairtrade University status will be coordinated by a Fairtrade Steering group that includes representatives of the University, Hospitality staff, Students’ Union and the student body. The aim of the group is to prepare and oversee the implementation of an action plan to achieve and maintain Fairtrade Status for the university. 4. The Steering group will organise the publicity for Fairtrade fortnight and other on-going promotions and campaigns to ensure that the issue of Fairtrade awareness is maintained.

3.7 External Services 3.7.1 Banking and Cash Points It is essential to have a bank or building society account to help you manage your finances successfully. The whole range of banks and building societies is available in Cardiff City Centre and local branches and many of them are easily accessible from each campus in Roath and in Llandaff. There are also cash machines on each campus, although you will be charged for using these.

3.7.2 Social Life in Cardiff As well as all the great social life on campus, Cardiff as a city is renowned for its excellent leisure facilities. Through the students’ union newspaper and web site you can find out about all the best student nights in Cardiff, in clubs that have an official link with the SU. UWICSU also works exclusively with the CIA, Cardiff City Football Club, Cardiff Devils, Glamorgan Cricket Club and Cardiff Blues offering great student promotions, discounted tickets and competitions. So whether it is sport, leisure, clubbing or culture, Cardiff has everything to offer. There is a wide range of bars, pubs and restaurants of all types in Cardiff and in Cardiff Bay. The city, in fact, is renowned for its excellent leisure facilities which offer amenities at very reasonable prices. There is also a great variety of clubs, cinemas, entertainment centres and sporting venues, including the famous Millennium Centre, St David’s Hall and the Millennium Stadium.

3.7.3 Shops Cardiff is an excellent shopping centre, where you will find all the major retailers. There are also some local shops close to the campuses at Cyncoed, Colchester Avenue and Llandaff in the suburbs of Roath and Llandaff, where there are also Post Offices. There are also major supermarkets opposite to the campuses at Colchester Avenue and Llandaff.

3.7.4 Buses Each campus is well served by Cardiff Bus, which runs into the city centre and other parts of the city. Stops are conveniently located outside the campuses and at Cyncoed the buses actually come on to the site where there is a stop outside the main doors. UWIC also operates its own bus service, the UWIC Rider, between its various campuses and Halls of Residences. The service runs during term-time, six days per week (only evenings on Saturdays) from 7.45 am to 11.50 pm. It is, therefore, very useful for travel between campuses and into the city centre. Currently, when students purchase a UWIC Rider pass, they also gain free and unlimited access to all Cardiff Buses up to Zone 3 during term-time.UWIC Rider passes for the academic year can be purchased from the Accommodation Office. UWIC Rider passes for the academic year can be purchased from the Accommodation Office. For further details of the UWIC Rider timetable please see website: For further details of the Cardiff Bus timetable please see website: For travel outside of Cardiff, Traveline provides times and routes of all bus, coach, rail, ferry and air services in Wales free of charge. For further details contact Telephone 08706082608 or visit the website:

Things You May Find Useful (Policies & Procedures)

Part 4 Things You May Find Useful (Policies & Procedures) 4.1. Making a Suggestion, Complaint or Appeal To make a suggestion, contact Campus Reception Website: To make a complaint contact Dean of Students Telephone: 029 20416305 Website: To make an appeal contact Academic Registrar Telephone: 029 20416801 Website: Academic Handbook: 4.1.1 UWIC is committed to providing high quality programmes, services and facilities for students, staff and the general public and it thus actively encourages all its stakeholders to participate fully in the development and improvement of these by making their views and ideas known. 4.1.2 If you have any suggestions, therefore, concerning any matters that affect your life and study at UWIC please let a relevant member of staff know or you can fill in a suggestion form, which is available at the front desk of each campus or on line as indicated above. We welcome all comments and ideas, both positive and negative, and endeavour to provide you with feedback on the implementation of any of your views. 4.1.3 If you want to make a formal complaint or an appeal, first you need to know what the difference is between these two processes: • A Complaint is defined as an expression of dissatisfaction or concern you may have about any of the facilities or services provided by UWIC or about actions or lack of actions by UWIC or its staff. This procedure does not deal with any academic matters. • An Appeal caters for representations against academic and examination board decisions. 4.1.4 The purpose of the Complaints Procedure is to provide a formal route through which you can bring a complaint to the attention of UWIC and have it addressed, although every attempt should be made initially to resolve the matter informally with the relevant person or School/Unit. The formal procedure has three stages: • Stage 1 – investigation by the Dean of School or Head fo Unit where the complaint has been lodged. • Stage 2 – investigation by a senior member of UWIC staff independent of the School or Unit involved • Stage 3 – investigation by a panel, which will include external representation and which the complainant and other relevant parties can attend.

The investigation at each stage would normally be completed within 30 working days and culminate in a report with a decision whether to uphold or reject the complaint and with recommendations for any future action. If the complainant wishes to proceed to the next stage then there must be valid reasons for doing so. If a resolution cannot be reached by the end of Stage 3 then you have the right to take your complaint to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator. UWIC’s full Complaints Procedure can be found on-line as indicated above, but if you do make a formal complaint you will automatically be sent a copy. The Complaints Officer, who co-ordinates all complaints across UWIC, is the Dean of Students, who can be contacted at Student Services at Llandaff on ex. 6170.

4.1.5 There are two Appeals Procedures and these can be accessed in the Academic Handbook. • If you are on an Edexcel or undergraduate programme at any level or year that is not a final year, you will need to refer to the UWIC Appeals Procedure in the Academic Handbook. • If you are in the final year of an initial degree, diploma or certificate or you are a postgraduate or research student, then you will need to refer to the University of Wales Verification and Appeals Procedure in the Academic Handbook although in a few cases you may need to use the appeals procedure of a separate awarding body. If in doubt, ask UWIC’s Academic Registry, which is responsible for all Appeals procedures, on ex. 6801 or 029 20416801 You can only appeal on three grounds: • that an assessment is defective in some way (e.g. there are arithmetical or factual errors) • that any mitigating or exceptional circumstances have not been taken into account • that new or additional information has become available. You cannot appeal on grounds of academic judgement. In other words you cannot formally proceed with an appeal that simply challenges a tutor’s grade or mark because you disagree with it. UWIC’s and the University of Wales’ Appeal Procedures follow a similar process: • initially a request for an appeal should be made within 14 days of the examination board being held; • the facts of the case then have to be verified, normally within three weeks; • If there are grounds for an appeal, then an Appeals Committee or Board is established, which the appellant and other relevant parties can attend. The Committee or Board will make a decision on whether to uphold or reject the appeal. If it does uphold the appeal, the normal procedure is to refer the matter back to the examination board for reconsideration. N.B. The University of Wales procedures can only be invoked on or before 31st August 2006, after which time all matters will be dealt with directly by UWIC.

4.2 Disciplinary Procedure For further details of UWIC’s Disciplinary Procedure and the additional Halls of Residence Disciplinary Procedure Contact(s): Dean of Students Telephone: 029 20416305 Website: 20Disciplinary%20Procedure%20Final%20Version%20Oct%2007.doc OR Contact(s): Accommodation Services Manager Telephone: 029 20417013 Website: For further details of UWIC’s Students’ Union Disciplinary Procedure Contact: President – at the Students’ Union Telephone: 029 2041 6190 4.2.1 This procedure deals with problems that may arise with student behaviour; hopefully, you will never need to use it! It does not cover any academic matters. There are also additional disciplinary procedures related to Halls of Residence and the Students’ Union. 4.2.2 Basically the procedure covers the following types of misconduct on or off campus, which are likely to constitute improper interference with the functioning or activities of UWIC, those who work or study at UWIC or the reputation of UWIC: • violent, indecent, disorderly, threatening or offensive behaviour or language; • fraud, deceit, deception or dishonesty; • action likely to cause or impair the health, safety and well-being of any UWIC stakeholder; • verbal abuse, bullying or any form of harassment, intimidation, victimisation or discrimination; • damage to or defacement of any property belonging to UWIC or UWIC stakeholder; • misuse or unauthorised use of UWIC premises or property; • any criminal offence; • failure to supply relevant information; • failure to comply with previously imposed penalties. 4.2.3 As with the Complaints Procedure UWIC encourages any misconduct or allegations of misconduct to be resolved informally as quickly as possible with the persons involved. If this is not possible or the nature of the offence is so serious, then the following steps will be taken: • An investigating officer(s) is appointed, who will make a report, normally within 15 working days, with recommendations dismissing the case or suggesting informal or formal warnings are issued or the student is suspended. • If the offence is sufficiently serious a Student Disciplinary Committee may be set

up comprised of senior UWIC representatives. A hearing will be held and the Committee will each a decision about any action to be taken, which could include sending the student for counselling and advice, issuing an oral or written formal warning, requiring compensation to be paid, imposing a fine or making a suspension or expulsion order. • If a criminal offence has been committed then almost certainly the police will be informed. Whatever the decision, the offender will have a right of appeal to an Appeals Committee of the Board of Governors. For impartial advice, representation and guidance regarding complaints and appeals or the disciplinary procedure, students should contact the Students’ Union Vice-President (Education Officer).

4.3 Code of Conduct 4.3.1 All students are expected to conduct themselves in a reasonable and orderly manner having due regard for other people and UWIC property. 4.3.2 All students are expected to observe all UWIC regulations, policies and procedures that govern the effective organisation and management of specific areas of activity within UWIC, including those relating to financial requirements, health and safety, the use of learning, computing, child care, refreshment, sport and recreational facilities. Copies of the regulations, policies and procedures can be obtained from the UWIC web site, particularly on the pages of the Academic Registry and Student Services, and are included as part of the Academic and Student Handbooks, which can also be accessed on the UWIC website. 4.3.3 An act will be regarded as misconduct and therefore the subject of disciplinary action, if it constitutes or is likely to constitute improper interference with the normal and legitimate functioning and activities of UWIC or of those who work or study at UWIC, if it affects the freedom of others, if it endangers the safety or property of others or if it damages or is likely to damage the reputation of UWIC. 4.3.4 In particular, students are expected to observe UWIC’s Equal Opportunities Policy, which recognises that discrimination on the grounds of gender, race, background, faith, sexual orientation or age and any form of harassment or bullying are unacceptable. 4.3.5 The sale of goods or services by students on UWIC premises is not permitted, except with the prior approval of the Vice Chancellor and principal. Similarly, any form of gambling on UWIC premises is illegal and will result in disciplinary action. 4.3.6 The use of any illegal drugs on UWIC premises is prohibited and any dealing in illegal drugs will always be automatically reported to the police. 4.3.7 The following constitutes a non-exhaustive list of the types of misbehaviour or misconduct that this Code is intended to cover: • Violent, indecent, disorderly, threatening or offensive behaviour or language (including

possession of weapons, chemicals and acts of terrorism). • Fraud, deceit, deception or dishonesty in relation to UWIC or its staff or in connection with holding any office in UWIC or in relation to being a student of UWIC. • Action likely to cause or impair the health, safety, and well-being of any student, member of staff or other employee of UWIC or any authorised visitor to UWIC. • Verbal abuse, bullying or any form of harassment, intimidation, victimisation or discrimination of any student, member of staff of other employee of UWIC or authorised visitor to UWIC. • Damage to, or defacement of, UWIC property or the property of other members of the UWIC community caused intentionally or recklessly and misappropriation of such property. • Misuse or unauthorised use of UWIC premises or items of property, including misuse of computers or other electronic devises to transmit, receive, view or display offensive, defamatory, discriminatory, obscene or otherwise illegal material or to introduce any virus, worm or other harmful or nuisance programme or file into any IT facility. • Failure to disclose a name and other relevant details to an officer or employee of UWIC in circumstances when it is reasonable to require that such information is given. • Failure to comply with a previously imposed penalty under this Code. • Behaviour that constitutes a criminal offence where it:• takes place on UWIC premises; • affects or concerns other members of the UWIC community; • damages the good name of UWIC or brings UWIC into disrepute • itself constitutes misconduct within the terms of this code; • is an offence of dishonesty.

4.4 Equal Opportunities Location: all UWIC campuses Contact: Equality & Diversity Officer Email: Web pages: 4.4.1 UWIC is an organisation where diversity is valued, equality is promoted and our services are delivered to support all staff and students regardless of gender, race, ethnic background, religion or belief, culture, (dis)ability, age, gender reassignment or sexual orientation. (The Welsh language is regarded as an additional equality strand in Wales). 4.4.2 Everyone in UWIC – Governors, staff, students, visitors, contractors – has a responsibility to deliver equality. Discrimination is unacceptable in any form. All individuals in UWIC should be treated with dignity and respect and valued for their contribution.

4.4.3 UWIC has a well developed framework of policies and practices to support inclusion and equality of opportunity and to foster a supportive environment for all our students, staff, and visitors. In 2008, the Board of Governors approved UWIC’s first Single Equality Scheme, setting out our policy, strategies and action plan for promoting equality of opportunity throughout UWIC. Our Single Equality Scheme can be accessed here: UWIC Single Equality Scheme 2008. There are many other policies and guidance documents relevant to Equality & Diversity, including the Code of Practice for Freedom of Speech and the Use of Inclusive Language. You will find all this information on our web pages. 4.4.4 The Equality and Diversity Committee oversees the implementation of our Equality Scheme and monitors our progress. We publish an Annual Report for Equality & Diversity every year on our web pages. 4.4.5 Any student with personal experience of any of the Equalities strands who is interested in contributing to the development of Equalities policies and Diversity events in UWIC is encouraged to contact the Equality & Diversity Officer to discuss how they could be involved.

4.5 Harassment and Bullying Location: Llandaff Campus Contact: Director of Operations 4.5.1 As part of its Equal Opportunities policy portfolio UWIC also has a Harassment and Bullying policy and code of practice, which covers all members of its community to ensure the preservation of each individual’s dignity. 4.5.2 The Harassment and Bullying policy and code of practice is designed to eliminate all forms of harassment and bullying at UWIC, to provide a sensitive, fair and effective means of resolving complaints, to provide victims with guidance and support, to ensure a safe and supportive working environment and to comply with legal requirements. 4.5.3 The policy and code of practice defines what harassment and bullying are and then explains what they involve in relation to gender, race, disability, sexual orientation and age. The roles and responsibilities of different persons and the procedures to be followed are outlined. 4.5.4 If you feel harassed or bullied you must report it to a relevant member of staff immediately, so that swift and appropriate action can be taken.

4.6 Child Protection Location: Llandaff Campus Contact: Dean of Students Policy: _Policy%202007.doc 4.6.1 UWIC recognises that several of its programmes involve working with young people below the age of 18, for example, in teacher training and other forms of professional training, as well as in projects such as First Campus and in clinics and the use of sports facilities. If you are likely to come in contact with young people in any way on your programme then you will need to be familiar with UWIC’s Child Protection policy, which ensures compliance with all current statutory provisions and regulations. 4.6.2 UWIC’s Child Protection Policy outlines the scope and aims of the policy and then describes the processes and procedures to be followed when any contact with young persons occurs, including the need for undertaking checks with the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB). 4.6.3 The named member of staff with ultimate responsibility for this area is the Dean of Students, who is approved for this role by the Care Standards Inspectorate for Wales.

4.7 Expectant or New Mothers Contact(s): Medical Staff – Nursing Officers Telephone: 029 20416175 – Cyncoed 029 20416177 – Howard Gardens Policy: 4.7.1. UWIC has a policy for students who are expectant or new mothers. It covers students who are pregnant and those who have given birth within the last six months and/or who are breastfeeding. 4.7.2 The purpose of the policy is to ensure that being pregnant or a new mother is not a barrier to a student continuing with her studies and that appropriate health and safety measures are in place to protect the mother and child. 4.7.3 If you become pregnant, therefore, during your studies at UWIC and subsequently become a new mother or you are a new mother when you start you programme, then you will need to be familiar with the procedures you should follow. These are outlined in the policy. 4.7.4 The policy also states the arrangements that UWIC should make, if necessary, to ensure the health and welfare of the expectant or new mother and her child, so that no disadvantage is experienced. For example, risk assessments will need to be undertaken. If an identified risk cannot be controlled or removed, then UWIC could temporarily adjust the student’s study arrangements, offer alternative arrangements or allow the student to defer her studies. 4.7.5 To enable students to carry on studying while they are new mothers, the policy allows them to bring their new young children into UWIC’s public areas and into tutorials, if the tutor

them to bring their new young children into UWIC’s public areas and into tutorials, if the tutor permits, but not into any teaching and learning areas or situations, where other students may be disturbed. 4.7.6 If you have any queries or need advice on breastfeeding or expressing milk, please contact a Nursing Officer in the first instance as indicated above.

4.8 Health and Safety Location: Llandaff Campus Contact: Health & Safety Adviser Telephone: 029 20416094 4.8.1 UWIC recognises the importance of health and safety, not only to ensure the safety and well-being of all its stakeholders, but also to fulfil the requirements of much recent legislation in this area. 4.8.2 UWIC, therefore, has a comprehensive overarching Health and Safety policy, which is supported by more detailed policies and procedures within each School and Unit. Similarly, UWIC’s Health and Safety Committee is underpinned by matching committees within each School and Unit, which involve members of specific teams that undertake health and safety audits and risk assessments across all areas for which the School or Unit has responsibility. These School and Unit committees meet at least once a term and report directly to the main committee. Health and Safety is also a standing item of School and Unit management meetings and regular staff development events are held to train and update staff. 4.8.3 UWIC’s Health and Safety structure is also supported by a range of information and protocol materials, as well as by a series of regular reports, for example on accident statistics and safety checks on equipment. These are all posted on UWIC’s Health and Safety website as indicated above. 4.8.4 UWIC’s Health and Safety policy and the individual policies within each School and Unit cover areas such as emergency evacuation, personal safety, plant and equipment, health protection, fire precautions, waste disposal, accident procedures, control of hazardous substances and traffic issues. 4.8.5 Health and Safety notices are posted prominently around all UWIC’s campuses and there is a summary notice of general procedures to be followed in each reception area You should be aware of these in relation to your personal health and safety, so please take note of them and they should periodically be pointed out to you, for example when you are attending a lecture. If there is an emergency the campus number to ring is 222. If you require further information please go to the Health and Safety website or contact the Health and Safety Officer on the Llandaff campus as indicated above. 4.8.6 Health and safety and the prevention of accidents is the duty of everyone. If you observe a hazard or risk you should notify a member of staff immediately. All accidents, however slight, must be reported.

4.8.7 You must be aware of what to do and where to go in case of a fire and the procedure to be followed when the firs alarm sounds. These instructions will be displayed in locations throughout UWIC.

4.9 Smoking Contact: Health & Safety Adviser Policy: StudyAtUWIC/newstudents/ug/EnrolEnjoy/Pages/NoSmokingPolicy.aspx 4.9.1 UWIC has a “No Smoking” policy, which covers all areas of each of its campuses, except where a specific Designated Smoking Area is provided. If you wish to smoke then you must do this in the specifically designated place outside the building. No smoking signs are prominently displayed around the buildings and must be observed. 4.9.2 All UWIC Halls of Residence operate a strict no smoking policy in all rooms and communal areas

4.10 Mental Health Contact: Disability Service Mental Health Advisor - 6170 Policy: 4.10.1 UWIC has dedicated resources to support students with mental health difficulties. The term, mental health, can cover a number of different experiences and conditions, which can affect a person’s ability to cope with everyday life and, in the case of students, with their studies. 4.10.2 Problems can be short or long term and can involve stress, depression, distress, illusions, eating disorders, self-harm and mood swings. Mental Health support addresses current legislation, UWIC’s duty of care, disclosure, confidentiality and fitness to practise. 4.10.3 If you feel your studies are suffering and you require help in relation to any of these kinds of conditions mentioned above, then please contact Student Services on ex. 6170 in the first instance, where specialist disability support and counselling is available. The service is free and confidential.

4.11 Meningitis Contact: Nursing Officers Website: 4.11.1 Meningitis is rare, but it can be particularly prevalent in closed or semi-closed communities, such as halls of residence, where facilities and amenities are shared. It can also be fatal, so it is extremely important that all students and staff are aware of the symptoms so that they can recognise if someone may have it. Treating the illness promptly can make the difference between life and death. Government guidelines recommend that every person

under 25 years of age should be vaccinated against meningitis. 4.11.1 Meningitis is rare, but it can be particularly prevalent in closed or semi-closed communities, such as halls of residence, where facilities and amenities are shared. It can also be fatal, so it is extremely important that all students and staff are aware of the symptoms, so that they can recognise if someone may have it. Treating the illness promptly can make the difference between life and death. Government guidelines recommend that every person under 25 years of age should be vaccinated against meningitis. 4.11.2 There are two types of meningitis: viral and bacterial. The former is more common, but less serious and is spread through coughing, sneezing and poor hygiene. The latter is more rare, but potentially more serious and requires urgent treatment. There are three strains, A, B and C and two forms, meningococcal and pneumococcal, which are spread through close contact, including coughing, sneezing and kissing. 4.11.3 The symptoms of both types of meningitis are, for example: extreme malaise, severe headache, high temperature, vomiting, diarrhoea, aching limbs, aversion to bright light, drowsiness, confusion and a rash, which may start as a cluster of tiny red bloodspots and develop into looking like fresh bruises. If pressed, they do not turn white. 4.11.4 If you suspect meningitis: • call a doctor or an emergency out of hours number immediately; • dial (9)999 for an ambulance; or • take the patient straightaway to a local emergency unit

4.12 Sustainability UWIC recognises a wide definition of sustainability, based on engaging in development that meets the needs of the present, without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. In support of this vision, in July 2005 UWIC’s Board of Governors formally approved UWIC’s Sustainability Policy and endorsed a reviewed and updated version in March 2008. Further information on UWIC initiatives to ensure sustainability can be found at

Useful Names, Addresses & Websites

APPENDIX 1 Useful Names, Addresses and Websites The Cardiff School of Art & Design Howard Gardens Campus Cardiff CF24 0SP Tel: 029 20416647 Email: Website: The Cardiff School of Education Cyncoed Campus Cyncoed Road Cardiff CF23 6XD Tel: 029 204167092 E-mail: Website: The Cardiff School of Health Sciences Llandaff Campus Western Avenue Cardiff CF5 2YB Tel: 029 204168 36 E-mail: Website: The Cardiff School of Management Colchester Avenue Campus Colchester Avenue Cardiff CF23 7XR Tel: 029 20416315/6425 E-mail: Website: The Cardiff School of Sport Cyncoed Campus Cyncoed Road Cardiff CF23 6XD Tel: 029 2041 7106 E-mail: Website:

Sports & Leisure Facilities Sports Facilities Management Cyncoed Campus Cyncoed Road Cardiff CF23 6XD Tel: 029 20416777 E-mail: Website: Student Services The Student Centre Llandaff Campus Western Avenue Cardiff CF5 2YB Tel: 029 20416170 E-mail: Website: Student Services - Career Development Services ‘A’ Block – Cyncoed Campus Cyncoed Road Cardiff CF23 6XD Tel: 029 20416333 E-mail: Website: Academic Registry ‘A’ Block Llandaff Campus Western Avenue Cardiff CF5 2YB Tel: 029 20416015 E-mail: Website: English/registry

Accommodation Services Cyncoed Campus Warwick House Cyncoed Road Cardiff CF23 6XD Tel: 029 20416188/9 E-mail: Website: /AboutUs/Facilities/accommodation

UWIC Students’ Union Campus Centre Cyncoed Campus Cyncoed Road Cardiff CF23 6XD Tel: 029 20416190

UWIC Students’ Union Llandaff Students’ Union Offices Llandaff Campus Western Avenue Cardiff CF5 2YB Tel: 029 20416496

UWIC Students’ Union Colchester Avenue Campus Colchester Avenue Cardiff CF23 7XR Tel: 029 20416194

UWIC Students’ Union Howard Gardens Campus Howard Gardens Cardiff CF24 0SP Tel: 029 20416193

UWIC Students’ Union Email: Web: Head of Information Systems Division Llandaff Campus Western Avenue Cardiff CF5 2YB Tel: 029 20417000 Email: Website: using/it/Pages/SupportTraining.aspx

Information Services (Division helpdesk) Llandaff Campus Western Avenue Cardiff CF5 2YB Tel: 029 20417000

Appendix 2 Approved AQSB 18/4/07 Guidelines for Committees of Enquiry on the Imposition of Penalties for Unfair Practice

Introduction The University is conscious that there is a spectrum of unfair practice offences which do not fit easily into categories such as moderate or severe, especially when other factors (including various levels of mitigation) have to be taken into account. This means that it is not appropriate simply to attempt to allocate specific penalties for specific offences, but it is possible to provide guidelines on how the penalties might be applied. The following guidelines on the appropriateness of possible penalties for different levels of

offences, and on taking account of mitigation and other factors, have been drawn up to assist Committees of Enquiry (and Examining Boards in appropriate cases) when determining the penalties to impose when allegations of unfair practice are substantiated. These guidelines relate to cases of plagiarism, as the commonest form of unfair practice, but can easily be adapted for other offences, and contain examples only as a general guide. The guidelines below should be read in conjunction with the list of penalties set out in the UWIC Unfair Practice Procedure (Academic Handbook, 6L) and appended to this document. These penalties for implementation from the start of session 2006/07 are sufficiently flexible to enable Committees of Enquiry to impose penalties appropriate to the circumstances of individual cases. Committees of Enquiry (or Examining Boards) are welcome to seek advice from the Academic Registry on specific cases.

Appropriateness of Penalties 1.The formal reprimand could be used for a first offence of very minor plagiarism in a piece of work where there is no evidence of intent by the candidate to deceive (e.g. poor referencing). In many cases, this might be combined with an instruction to the examiners, when marking, to ignore any plagiarized text, which may result in a reduced mark. If the work had already been marked, it would have to be remarked accordingly. 2. Cancellation of the mark for the piece of work in question or for the whole module would be appropriate for most cases of plagiarism involving occasional paragraphs or sentences within a piece of work, with or without a recommendation to an Examining Board regarding the possibility of a resubmission (if permitted under regulations). There is flexibility within this penalty for it to be set at a level commensurate with the nature of the offence, mitigation and other factors, including the percentage weighting of the assignment to the module as a whole. 3.Cancellation of marks for all modules for the whole year in question would be appropriate for plagiarism in respect of a whole piece of work (dissertation or other written assignment) or a substantial proportion of a piece of work - i.e. the whole work or majority of the work was copied from or written by someone else. This penalty assumes that the student is full-time; an equivalent penalty for a part-time student would have to be determined. For example, this could mean cancelling the marks for all modules for the year in question and some or all of the modules in the previous year. This penalty could stand alone or could be combined with disqualification from future examinations, depending on factors such as whether or not there is mitigation and the level of mitigation, and whether it is a first or a subsequent offence. 4. The reduction of the degree result by one class or the non-award of a distinction could be a stand alone penalty in specific circumstances, but would more usually be combined with one

of the other penalties to increase the severity of the penalty in appropriate cases, such as a second offence. 5. Provision for the Committee of Enquiry to use its discretion to decide an alternative penalty is intended for use only in exceptional cases, where none of the stated penalties would be entirely appropriate. This would normally only involve modifying one of the existing penalties to fit the circumstances of the case, but there may be specific occasions where an alternative penalty of equivalent severity to an established penalty might better fit the circumstances of the case. In such situations, Committees of Enquiry would be advised to seek advice from the Academic Registry before proceeding.

Mitigation and Previous Offences Mitigation, previous offences and other factors could all influence the overall penalty. For example, where the mark is cancelled or zero awarded for a module, mitigation or previous offences could be taken into account in respect of a recommendation to the Examining Board as to whether or not a resubmission should be allowed (if permitted under regulations) and whether that resubmission would be for the bare pass mark only or the full range of marks (as if a first submission). No leniency should be given specifically in respect of a first offence. The majority of cases are first offences and appropriate penalties should be imposed, but a second or subsequent offence would normally result in the imposition of a more severe penalty. For example a candidate might be given a formal warning on the first occasion if the plagiarism was very minor and believed to be just a matter of poor referencing, but if it happened again, awarding zero (cancelling the mark) for the piece of work would be appropriate. Similarly, if there was plagiarism of a whole Master’s dissertation but a significant level of mitigation, a penalty of zero for all modules in the particular level of study could be imposed, but the candidate could be allowed to retake all those modules, as a way of taking account of the mitigation, but if unfair practice was subsequently repeated, then it would be appropriate to impose a penalty of zero for all modules in the particular level and disqualification from future examinations. Within the existing penalties, it is possible to create subtly different penalties for the same offence in order to take account of mitigation. For example, for two candidates found guilty of collusion and awarded zero for their work with a recommendation to the Examining Board that both be allowed to resubmit, it is possible to distinguish between them in order to take account of mitigation in respect of one of them by recommending that one student resubmits for the bare pass mark only while the other resubmits as if a first submission for the full range of marks.

Level of Study The student's status (postgraduate or undergraduate) would be irrelevant when deciding a penalty to impose - the same penalties would be used for either. However, it could be argued

that a postgraduate student should, having already completed an initial degree, know more about referencing and plagiarism than say a Level 5 (HE Level 2) undergraduate. This would normally be reflected not in the penalty but in the consequences of the penalty. For example, for an undergraduate student, some plagiarism in an essay for a 20 credit module would result in zero for the 20 credit module, which might or might not affect the final degree classification, whereas for a postgraduate student on a taught Master’s programme some plagiarism in the dissertation could mean zero for a 60 credit dissertation resulting in the award of a Postgraduate Diploma instead of the Master’s degree. For a PhD/MPhil candidate it could mean the whole thesis fails and no award is made after several years work. RGT March 2007

Appendix Penalties set out in the UWIC Unfair Practice Procedure for session 2006/07 9. Penalties available to the Committee for Unfair Practice in Examination Conditions The Committee of Enquiry shall apply one or any combination of the following penalties: 9.1 The issue of a formal reprimand to the candidate, a written record of which shall be kept. 9.2 The cancellation of the candidate’s marks in part or in whole for module(s) concerned, or in all of the modules for the year in question or the equivalent for a part-time candidate, with a recommendation as to whether or not a re-assessment should be permitted, either with eligibility for the bare pass mark only or for the full range of marks. 9.3 The reduction of the degree result by one class or the non-award of a distinction, as appropriate. 9.4 The disqualification of the candidate from any future University examination. If a Committee of Enquiry decides that the above penalties are inappropriate, the Committee may use its discretion to decide upon the appropriate penalty. In exceptional circumstances where an allegation has been substantiated and the Committee is concerned that this may affect the candidate’s ability to practise in a particular profession, the case shall also be considered under the appropriate procedure for Unprofessional Conduct and Unfitness to Practise. 10. Penalties Available to the Committee for Unfair Practice in Non Examination Conditions The Committee of Enquiry shall apply one or any combination of the following penalties: 10.1 The issue of a formal reprimand to the candidate, a written record of which shall be kept. 10.2 An instruction to the examiners, when marking, to ignore any plagiarized text, which may result in a reduced mark. 10.3 The cancellation of the candidate’s marks in part or in whole for module(s) concerned,

or in all of the modules for the year in question or the equivalent for a part-time candidate, with a recommendation as to whether or not a re-assessment should be permitted, either with eligibility for the bare pass mark only or for the full range of marks. 10.4 The reduction of the degree result by one class or the non-award of a distinction, as appropriate. 10.5 The disqualification of the candidate from any future University examination. If a Committee of Enquiry decides that the above penalties are inappropriate, the Committee may use its discretion to decide upon the appropriate penalty. In exceptional circumstances where an allegation has been substantiated and the Committee is concerned that this may affect the candidate’s ability to practise in a particular profession, the case shall also be considered under the appropriate procedure for Unprofessional Conduct and Unfitness to Practise. 11. Penalties for Unfair Practice in Research Degrees The Committee of Enquiry shall apply one or any combination of the following penalties: 11.1 The issue of a formal reprimand to the candidate, a written record of which shall be kept. 11.2 The disqualification of the candidate from the degree with a right to resubmit the thesis. 11.3 The disqualification of the candidate from the degree with no right to resubmit the thesis. 11.4 The disqualification of the candidate from all future University examinations and qualifications. If a Committee of Enquiry decides that the above penalties are inappropriate, the Committee may use its discretion to decide upon the appropriate penalty. In exceptional circumstances where an allegation has been substantiated and the Committee is concerned that this may affect the candidate’s ability to practise in a particular profession, the case shall also be considered under the appropriate procedure for Unprofessional Conduct and Unfitness to Practise.

INDEX Reference Section




Accommodation agencies


Advice and Representation Centre






Association of Letting and Management Agencies


(ACMA) Athletic Union








Benefit Allowances


Borrowing (Learning Centres)


Bursaries & Scholarships




Car parking


Career Development Services


Cash points


Catering Facilities




Commitment to Students


Child Protection


Clubs and societies


Code of Conduct








Data Protection


Disability Service


Disciplinary Procedure


Emergency guidelines






Equal Opportunities




Expectant mothers


External services


Fee refunds




Financial advice


Financial Contingency Fund


Freedom of Information


Gap Year




Halls of Residence


Harassment and Bullying


Health and Safety


Health Service


Information Systems Division (ISD)




International Office


IT Services


Jury Service


Language Support


Learning Support




Learning Centres




Meal passes


Mental Health




Mitigating Circumstances


Money Management


National Health Service


National Insurance


New mothers


Personal E-mail Accounts






Points Based Migration System


Post Offices


Private lodgings


Private Mail/Telephone Calls


Private sector accommodation


Publication scheme




Records Management policy








Rules and Regulations (Learning Centres)








Student Loan Company (SLC)


Student Services


Student Union


Study Skills










TV Licences


Unfair Practice


UWIC Rider


Welfare Support (International Students)


Working in the UK


Student Handbook 2010  

Welcome to UWIC’s new Student Handbook and congratulations! If you are reading this you are either preparing to come to UWIC or are already...