Korea Bound

Page 1

Issue 1

Korea Bound

Your guide to living and serving in the Republic of Korea

This Guide Covers: Busan Public Transport








Pyeongtaek Pets



welcome to korea

Rear Admiral Brad cooper Commander, U.S. Naval Forces Korea Commander, Task Force 78 Commander, Navy Region Korea

Greetings and Welcome to Korea, “The Land of the Morning Calm.” You are joining 500 Sailors and their families here in Korea. We are dedicated to each other and the mission, which is vast and complex. I want you to know that my number one priority is ensuring you and your families have an outstanding tour. We are selflessly serving during a critical period for the U.S – Republic of Korea (ROK) alliance so what we do is important, but nothing is more important than your welfare. Our priority is to be ready to “fight tonight”… we can never lose sight of that and if we think “people first,” we will always be ready. My commitment to you is life-long. I want you to be successful at here and beyond. I will do everything I can to make your tour in Korea the most extraordinary experience of your life. You and your families matter and I make it a priority to include our families into any plan or activity. If you begin to feel that is not true, my door is open and I hope you tell me because I value positive leadership, high energy, innovation, creativity, hard work, precision execution, and results. My expectation is that we are the model for how to do it right, but I need your help. I need you to be role models and noble citizens, and find ways to add value to our Navy family and community here in Korea. I believe in you. I trust you. I want you to succeed, and I will do EVERYTHING I can to nurture that success as part of a winning team in Korea. Above all else, and in all things, I want you to DO GREAT THINGS!



map of korea

6 7 8 11 14 16 19 22 25 30 32 36 40 42 44

History of the U.S. navy in korea map of korea basics leisure driving Public Transportation busan Seoul Chinhae Pyeongtaek schools medical Pets regulations resources


history of the U.S. Navy in korea To improve interoperability among armed forces and maintain the Armistice by being ready to "Fight Tonight," the U.S. and ROK navies also join their Marine Corps counterparts to conduct the exercise Ssang Yong (Twin Dragons). The exercise demonstrates the combined Naval and Marine forces' ability to rapidly execute a full range of military operations and contingencies in the ROK.

A Republic of Korea (ROK) sailor waves the American flag and ROK flag as the guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain (DDG 56) arrives in Donghae.

Commander, U.S. Naval Forces, Korea (CNFK) is the U.S. Navy's representative in the Republic of Korea (ROK). It provides leadership and expertise in naval matters that support the mission of United Nations Command (UNC)/Combined Forces Command (CFC)/ United States Forces Korea (USFK). CNFK works closely with the ROK Navy to improve institutional and operational effectiveness and to strengthen collective security efforts in the Korean Theater. Both navies coordinate multilateral participation in several combined exercises and events each year designed to sustain and strengthen the alliance, maintain the Armistice, and transform and sustain the force. Throughout the year, the U.S. and ROK navies work together in more than 20 exercises including the command post exercises Ulchi Freedom Guardian (UFG) and Key Resolve (KR). Along with UFG and KR, CNFK also participates in the field training exercise Foal Eagle, enabling both U.S. and ROK navies to exercise the full spectrum of maritime operations from anti-submarine warfare, joint tactics and maneuvering, salvage operations, mine warfare and harbor recovery operations.

The Anti-Submarine Warfare Cooperation Committee, co-chaired by the commanders of the ROK Fleet and U.S. 7th Fleet, was established in 2014 to synchronize the numerous efforts of both navies spanning the surface, subsurface and aviation domains. Both navies join together to enhance mine warfare through the annual UNC Naval Component Commander Mine Countermeasures Symposium and the exercise Clear Horizon. CNFK recently relocated the majority of personnel from the U.S. Army Garrison- Yongsan in Seoul to the ROK fleet base in Busan. CNFK is the only U.S. headquarters located on a ROK base. This move allows CNFK to work shoulder-toshoulder with our ROK partners on a daily basis. In the future, CNFK will relocate select staff to U.S. Army Garrison- Camp Humphreys near Pyeongtaek. For more information on the U.S. Navy in Korea, visit https://goo.gl/9QiFHb & FB at https://goo.gl/ Emk320& Twitter at https://goo.gl/t1wplW




Commodore William Shufeldt, successfully negotiated a comprehensive bilateral treaty with Korea.


June 25 Communist troops cross the 38th parallel from North Korea (NK) & invade South Korea (SK). June 27, NK troops reached Seoul. June 30, U.S. president Harry S. Truman orders U.S. forces to Korea. July 5, U.S. troops engage NK for the first time. September 15, Under the command of General Douglas MacArthur, Commander Seventh Fleet & Commander Task Force 7 Vice Admiral Arthur D. Struble led an armada of 230 amphibious & other ships in a surprise amphibious assault on the port of Inchon on Korea’s west coast. This suprise maneuver broke NK supply lines and ultimately led to the recapturing of Seoul.


July 27, 1953: The Armistice agreement was signed insuring a complete cessation of hostilities and all acts of armed force in Korea until a final peaceful settlement is achieved. July 1, 1957: Commander, U.S. Naval Forces Korea was established, with headquarters in Seoul. The command was created by the reorganization of the Naval Forces, Far East Command into the separate commands of Naval Forces, Japan and Naval Forces, Korea.

Feb. 19, 2016, CNFK conducted a ribbon-cutting ceremony, officially opening its headquarters in Busan and ushering in a new era of U.S. and Republic of Korea Navy (ROKN) alliance becoming the only U.S. headquarters located on a ROK base.

map of korea

china North Korea




east Sea

West Sea

Seoul Pyeongtaek

Chinhae Chinhae Busan



general information basics The population of the ROK is roughly 50.22 million (2013 est.) Koreans descended from the Mongolian origins in prehistoric times. Periods of occupation have also added Chinese and Japanese blood to the gene pool.

Although they have borrowed from other cultures, especially Chinese and Japanese, Korean people have maintained their own distinctive language, culture, and customs. It is a family-orientated society, heavily based on Confucianism, which even in modern times retains the basic patterns and manners of family-centered life. Korea has four distinct seasons: warm springs, hot and humid summers, cool autumns and cold, dry winters. Precipitation is heavier in the summer during a short rainy season called Jangma, which begins in late July and lasts through mid-August. Spring lasts from March to May and is warm. Flowers like the cherry blossom cover the nation’s mountains and fields during this time. Autumn lasts from September to November, and produces mild weather. Across the Republic of Korea, the average January temperature range is -7°C to 1°C (19°F to 33°F), and the average July temperature range is 22°C to 29°C (71°F to 83°F). The average annual precipitation varies from 1,370 millimeters (54 inches) in Seoul to 1,470 millimeters (58 inches) in Busan.

before you travel Passports See the DOD Foreign Clearance Guide at https:// goo.gl/Yhmnyw for entry requirements. Servicemembers do not need passports to enter South Korea as long as they have a military ID card and a copy of their orders. Dependents will need passports and visas.


SOFA card The U.S. also has a SOFA or similar agreement with countries around the world where US armed forces are stationed. The U.S.-ROK SOFA is an international agreement designed to serve the mutual interests of the U.S. and the ROK and to protect the basic rights of US citizens who are subject to its provisions. The U.S.ROK SOFA recognizes US sovereign immunities and balances the American citizen’s individual rights with obligations to the host government and to local laws. The SOFA Card is designed to assist USFK personnel in the event they become involved with Korean law enforcement officials.

Language During your tour in Korea, you are encouraged to learn the Korean language. Some bases have free on-duty or off-duty language classes, and there are many language classes available online. The following Korean phrases may assist you during your visit to Korea: English

Korean Translation

Good morning/Afternoon/ Evening

An-nyeong ha-seh-yo

I’m glad to meet you

Mahn-nah-so bahn-gah-wo-yo

Goodbye (by host)

Ahn-nyong-hee kah-seh-yo

Goodbye (by guest)

Ahn-nyong-hee kay-seh-yo

May I have your name?

Ee-ru-mee moo-ot-shim-nee-ka?

How much does it cost?

Ol-mah eem-nee-ka?

I’ll take this

Ego ju-seh-yo

Do you speak English?

Young-oh hahm-nee-ka?

How much is the fare?

Ol-mah eem-nee-ka?

Stop here

Yo-gee se-wo ju-seh-yo.

map of korea etiquette Korea is often said to be the world’s most Confucian nation, such values having been instilled for over a thousand years across several dynasties, elements of Confucianism still linger on today. Perhaps most evident to foreigners will be what amounts to a national obsession with age – you’re likely to be asked how old you are soon after your first meeting with any Korean, and any similarity of birth years is likely to be greeted with a genuine satisfaction (note that Koreans count years differently from Westerners – children are one when they’re born, and gain another year at the New Year, meaning that those born on December 31 are technically two years old the next day). Women have traditionally been treated as inferior to men, and are expected to leave their job as soon as they give birth to their first child; however, recent years have shown a marked shift towards gender equality, with males more forgiving in the home and women more assertive in the workplace. Foreigners are largely exempt from the code of conduct that would be required of both parties following their knowledge of age, employment and background, and little is expected of them in such terms, but this does have its drawbacks – in such an ethnically homogeneous society, those that aren’t Korean will always remain “outsiders”, even if they speak the language fluently or have actually spent their whole lives in the country. Meanwhile, foreigners with Korean blood will be expected to behave as a local would, even if they can’t speak a word of the language.

Remove your shoes when entering a Korean home or temple. When putting shoes back on at a temple, never sit on the steps with your back to the area of worship. Honor and respect are important in Korea. On subways and buses, there are separate sections with seats for elders. It is common practice to give seats to the elderly in Korea. Dining is a very important part of Korean culture. People tend to eat with their families and work colleagues. Below is an introduction to table etiquette in Korea. If you are dining with someone who is older than you, you should wait for them to sit and to start eating, and you should remain at the table until they have finished eating. At the end of the meal, your chopsticks and spoon should be returned to their original position. Stews, soups, and meat dishes are often served in a large communal dish rather than individual servings. Diners can eat directly from the main dish, or serve themselves using individual plates provided. Drinking alcohol can be an important part of social life in Korea. You should never serve yourself, but someone else should fill your glass. If your fellow diner’s glass is empty, you should refill it, especially if you are drinking with someone older than you. It is rare to share the bill or ‘go dutch’. Generally, the older member of the group will pay the bill. Younger diners might try to repay the debt by paying for coffee afterward.

Refrain from touching another person unless that person is a relative or close personal friend. The only exception to this rule is that Koreans will touch children to show their warm affection. This is a compliment. Koreans shake hands like Westerners, but the traditional Korean greeting is to bow from the waist. Koreans believe that direct eye contact during conversations shows boldness, and out of politeness they concentrate on the conversation, usually avoiding eye contact. When passing a gift, or any object to someone, use both hands. The right hand is used to pass the object, while the left hand is used in support. If the person receiving the gift is older, the person offering the gift bows the head slightly as a sign of respect. Passing with one hand is acceptable if the person receiving the gift is younger or lower in stature.


basics groceries & commissaries There is no military commissary in Busan, but the city has a wide variety of options for purchasing groceries. There are several large retailers such as HomePlus, eMart, MegaMart and Costco, which offer Korean, American and even international goods. Additionally, there are several local markets offering everything from fresh fish to local vegetables. Be aware that large retail grocery stores are closed on the second and fourth Sundays of each month, in deference to local markets. The closest commissary to Busan is located in the Fleet & Family Town Center on CFAC in Chinhae (DSN: 315-762-5327) and offers most basic items at U.S. prices. A larger commissary is located on Camp Walker, Bldg T-357 at USAG Daegu (DSN: 764-4551). Both are normally closed on Monday. In Seoul, USAG Yongsan has a full commissary and several exchanges that offer basic necessities and more. There is also a uniform shop that offers limited uniform items, a food court and other small shops. Dependents must have a ration control card to shop at a commissary. Ration control cards. Your military sponsor must apply for it on your behalf with his/her unit Ration Control clerk. In the case of loss or theft, notify Security and Admin. Certain goods may be purchased in limited quantities only. Please visit https://goo.gl/y47GWV for more information on policies within USFK.

Mail & postal service The Army Post Office (APO) processes all mail coming to and from the Armed Forces Pacific (AP) Region. Your sponsor or gaining unit should provide you with a mailing address so you can fill out change of address forms before you PCS. All service members and dependents stationed in Busan are required to receive personal mail through their unit. Most U.S. online retailers ship to APO addresses and offer the same shipping method options to APO addresses that they offer for a residential address in the continental United States. Priority Mail gets to and from the U.S. in about 4 to 10 days. Parcel post takes 6-8 weeks. Sending mail costs the same as continental United


States postal rates. Priority mail flat rate boxes are available in several sizes and the shipping cost is around $9-15 regardless of weight. For Busan, the Post Office is located on the 2nd Floor of the Military Sealift Command Korea HQ Building on Pier 8 (DSN: 315-763-3113) open on Tuesday and Thursday from 11:30 to 13:30. They have postal mailing boxes, custom forms and labels. CFAC post office is open Monday - Friday from 11:45 to 16:00 (DSN: 315-762-5803) , USAG Yongsan is open Monday - Friday from 09:00 to 17:00 and Satuday from 09:00 to 13:00 (DSN: 315723-9019) and USAG Humphreys is open Monday - Friday from 09:00 to 17:00 and Satuday from 09:00 to 13:00 (DSN: 315-753-7554) have their own postal offices on-base.

cell phone All the mobile phone networks in the Republic of Korea are CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access), not GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications) as in many other parts of the world. In the U.S., we use both systems. Sprint, Verizon and U.S. Cellular use CDMA, while AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM. If your phone is unlocked you may be able to use your U.S. phone in the Republic of Korea depending on your network provider. Korean cell phones, as well as service plans, can be purchased by service members and military dependents at the post Exchanges. SK Telecom at https://goo.gl/liyFIQ, KT Olleh at https://goo.gl/YLHpPZ, and LG U+ at https://goo.gl/XNaFHa are the most widely used mobile companies in the Republic of Korea. You can find more information on products and service rates on each company’s website. You will need to a copy of your passport, military ID card and/or alien registration card to apply for services. For the most part, Korean cell phone service plans are comparable in price to U.S. cell phone service plans. You are encouraged to research all cell phone companies and options and choose a plan that best fits your individual or family requirements.

leisure on the economy The Republic of Korea is famous for shopping and known for: amethyst, jade, ginseng, soju, hanbok, celadon pottery, Kimchi pots, and plenty of clothing (ready-to-wear and tailor-made). The best way to begin your shopping spree is to first go to the Tourist Information Center in Busan, since they will have plenty of information on where to go and how to get there. However, be aware that in many parts of Busan, tourist information centers are not as widely available as they are around Seoul. Busan’s dinnerware is unique to the Southern region and unlike any found in the capital city of Seoul. A large number of unique specialty shops can be found all around Seoul - in areas such as Hongdae, Apgujeong, Sinsadong, Myeongdong and Insadong. These shops sell customized items that cannot be found elsewhere, some of them also have an online shopping mall website and most of these specialty shops are run by young and up-coming individuals - fashion designers. You can often negotiate the price of items, especially in small shops and at the outdoor markets. If you are planning to purchase an expensive item, have a native speaker along to help with the negotiations. As a courtesy to the merchant, avoid bargaining over something you have no intention of buying.

You can buy bags for what you need at an added price. Many stores offer an area to box your own purchases at no cost. You can also bring your own bag if desired. Most of the smaller shops and markets take Korean won only. Most of the major stores do take credit cards.

Money & the economy Most banks in Korea are open from 9 am until 4 pm. Korean currency is the Won (W). Most banks and hotels can exchange money, and most will also take traveler’s checks. Cash advances on non-Korean credit cards can be made in most subway stations and banks. Many international banks have offices in Seoul, and a few have branches in Busan. Credit cards are accepted at most businesses and restaurants, however, it is recommended that you carry Korean won. Nearly all ATM machines have an English option to their menu. If you are using an American debit card, you must look for an ATM machine that has a logo or sticker saying “Global ATM”. You can set up automatic payments to pay for your rent but it is not required to have a local bank account in Korea. Check the options that each bank has to offer or get a recommendation from your sponsor.

There are no dressing rooms at large markets, so wear a tank top and underclothes that you can slip clothes over if needed. Small shopkeepers don’t always make returns or exchanges, so be sure the item has no defects before purchasing it. Shopping bags are not free at grocery stores and some department stores.


dining A Korean meal is very unique. It is served with a variety of side dishes that are shared by the entire table. A Korean meal typically consists of rice, soup, and a number of small vegetarian dishes such as spinach, bean sprouts, and tofu. Beef and pork are very popular and are often marinated and grilled at the table (Bulgogi and Kalbi). Soy sauce, soybean paste, red pepper paste, ginger root, garlic, sesame oil, and sesame seeds are other seasonings, essential to Korean food. Kimchi is a highly seasoned pickled cabbage or turnip side dish served at most every meal. Kimchi, the most common group of side dishes, includes various vegetables (cabbage, radishes, and various roots) fermented with spices (garlic, red pepper, and ginger). Rice is the staple of the Korean diet and appears in almost every meal. Western food is becoming more popular and you can find plenty of restaurants that serve fusion and international cuisine. You will not pay taxes and tipping is unheard of. It is common for staff to get offended at the offer of a tip.


Soju Like wine, the characteristics of Korean liquor (soju) vary from one region to another. Every locality has its own brand, each preserving the unique traditional flavor. A well-known alcoholic beverage is Cheonnyeonyaksok (A Thousand Years), which comes from a different area of Gyeongnam. Common dishes •

Barbecued Beef (Bulgogi) – Beef marinated in soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic pepper and green onions, which are cooked at your table.

Broiled Beef Ribs (Kalbi Kui) – Beef Ribs cooked over charcoal.

Pepper Pot Soup (Maeun Tang) – Boiled fish and vegetables seasoned with red pepper sauce and soy sauce. It is a very spicy dish.

Bean Paste Soup (Twanchang Chikae) – A rich stew of clams, beef, zucchini, carrots, and white radish with bean paste.

Beef Rice Soup (Sollong Tang) – A beef soup served with rice and seasoned with black pepper, salt and chopped leeks.

Ginseng Chicken Soup (Sam Kye Tang) – Chicken stuffed with glutinous rice, ginseng, and dried jujubes.

Kimchi Stew (Kimchi Chikae) – A rich stew of kimchi, pork and bean curd.

Handmade Noodles (Kalkuksu) – Hand-made chopped noodles with clam or chicken broth.

Buck Noodles (Naeng Myon) – Cold potato flour or buckwheat flour noodles topped with sliced meat, vegetables, a boiled egg and pepper relish sauce.

gifts & trips GIFTS Masks Korean masks are called Tal, but they are also known as gamyeon, gwangdae, chorani, talbak and talbagaji. Tal come with black cloth attached, designed to cover the back of the head and simulate black hair.

beauty of Seoraksan consists of towering rock pinnacles, dense alpine forests, wildflowers at every turn and wonderfully remote temples to Buddhist gods. 3. Dadohae Haesang Maritime National Park (Jeollanam) Looking like a thousand scattered jigsaw pieces, the “ten thousand” islands off the southwest coast offer a wealth of unmatched maritime vistas. 4. Manjang cavern (Jeju) One of the world’s largest lava tubes and part of an even larger cave system, Manjanggul offers unique glimpses of geologic wonders. Highlights include the tube itself and various features, such as a massive lava column. 5. Hahoe Folk Village (Gyeongsangbuk) Hahoe is the best place to come to gain an understanding of traditional Korean life.

Hanbok The Hanbok is the traditional Korean attire of both men and women. Hanboks can be very elaborate depending on the fabric and handwork involved. They are still worn on official occasions and holidays such as Chuseok, weddings, and other special family gatherings. Jewelry Korea’s special stones are amethyst and topaz. True Korean amethyst has become very expensive, so you will find many shops sell the less expensive Brazilian amethyst. The Korean jade supply was mined out several years ago; consequently, most of the jade you see comes from Southeast Asian countries. When purchasing expensive jewelry, ask for certificates of authenticity and carefully inspect all merchandise.

Tours These tours will enable you to experience some of the best of Korea. 1. Gyeongju The giant tumuli mounds are just one of the captivating sights in and around Korea’s magnificent Silla-era capital, the “museum without walls”

6. Insadong Shopping Street (Seoul) A maze of streets and alleys harbours a copious quantity of galleries and antique stores, souvenir stands and tea houses at Insadong. Hawkers, street performers and throngs of tourists all add to the fun. 7. Haein-sa Temple (Gyeongsangnam) Perhaps South Korea’s most venerated temple, this Unesco World Heritage Site houses one of the world’s oldest copies of Buddhist scripture, carved into wooden plates that have been preserved for centuries. 8. King Munmu’s Underwater Tomb (Gyeongju) This revered underwater tomb lies just off the east coast. Come here for views at modern shamanist rituals, seafood and the tomb of a king said to have returned as a fearsome dragon. 9. Changdeokgung Palace (Seoul) Splendid Korean palace buildings and serene, Zeninspired grounds highlight the grandeur of Korean royalty. Be sure to see the Secret Garden (Biwon). 10. Demilitarised Zone (DMZ) The world’s most heavily fortified border almost seems part of an absurdist play, but there’s no denying the barbed wire or the grim skirmishes that gave occurred here. The Third Tunnel of Aggression is a must-see.

2. Seoraksan National Park (Gangwon) South Korea’s most popular national park, the natural


driving basics Red lights Use extra caution when driving in Korea, because while most rules are similar to U.S. rules, Koreans drivers follow their own norms. In this regard, some drivers do not respect red lights. Amber lights are like a hiccup between the green and red lights, meaning they last a couple of seconds only. The light is green, then there is a flash of amber before it goes to red. Passing on the right Passing on the right is common in Korea. If you are getting in or out of a taxi or bus, take extra precaution. Turns – left or U Unprotected left turns are not allowed at most intersections. If a left turn is allowed, it cannot be made on a green light, only a green turn light.

driver’s license Active-duty military personnel and family members

(age 18 or older) who are planning to drive a Privately Owned Vehicle (POV) must get a USFK driver’s license. However, you may use your stateside driver’s license to legally drive in the Republic of Korea for the first 30 days after your arrival. Your U.S. driver’s license should be current for your entire tour in the Republic of Korea. To receive a USFK drivers license, drivers must pass a written test on local traffic rules. You must call ahead to schedule an appointment at either: Driver’s Test Office on the Busan Storage Center (BSC), Bldg T-1335, DSN: 315-763-7779 or Transportation Office on CFAC in Chinhae, Bldg 714, DSN: 315762-5339. You will need to bring your valid U.S. driver’s license to the office at the time of the test. You can download a copy of the USFK Pam 3852, Guide to Safe Driving in Korea from https://goo.gl/ nZ9d4w or go to yongsan.korea.army.mil to learn more about the USFK driving policy and study for the exam.


If you plan on traveling extensively in Asia and want to drive, it is strongly suggested you visit your local AAA office to obtain an international driver’s license. International licenses are available in the Republic of Korea. Motorcycle and moped owners must complete a military Motorcycle Safety Course to receive a USFK Motorcycle or Moped License. It is recommended that you consider taking this course and get documentation before you arrive due to the limited availability of the course in the Republic of Korea.

Vehicle Registration

All E-7 and above service members are authorized to register a POV. Service members E-6 and below must receive approval from the CNFK Chief of Staff through an exception to policy letter. Only one POV and one motorcycle/moped are authorized per family for command sponsored personnel unless an exception to policy is approved. For Busan, obtaining an exception to policy is normally not an issue. Service members can ship one POV from their current duty station or purchase a vehicle from the local economy upon arrival in the Republic of Korea. All vehicles must pass an inspection, must be insured, and must be registered at the Vehicle Registration Office at the BSC, Bldg 1311 (DSN: 315-763-7742). The first step to registering a vehicle is to get a temporary registration from the BSC Vehicle Registration Office. If you are shipping your POV from the U.S., it will go to the Vehicle Processing Center on Camp Henry in USAG Daegu (DSN: 315-768-8381). You must take your temporary registration with you to pickup your vehicle. More information about shipping your POV is available at www.whereismypov.com

basics After pickup, you must obtain a vehicle safety inspection from the Car Care Center at Camp Henry (DSN: 315-768-8164) in Daegu or the Vehicle Registration Office located at the BSC. Once completed, take the inspection form and the vehicle registration forms to the Vehicle Registration Office at the BSC to order your license plates. License plates can take up to one week to process and must be installed at the Vehicle Registration Office at the BSC. Vehicle registration must be completed at the BSC to comply with the Korean legal policy that requires all vehicles operated in the host nation to be registered at the local district agency. For more information on Vehicle Registration, please see the USFK Reg 190-1 Motor Vehicle Traffic Supervision at https://goo.gl/XpZC6W

buying a car in korea Vehicles are available for purchase from PCSing Sailors and Soldiers throughout the year. Most of the cars that come on the market are older Korean models such as Hyundai Excel or Sonata. Check the bulletin boards in Busan HQ or at the post exchange on USAG Daegu and Fleet & Family Town Center on CFAC or online at one of the many Facebook group pages for personal ads. All vehicles must be registered and follow the same procedure and guidelines as a shipped POV.

gasoline The Busan Storage Center has a government fueling station for government vehicles and POVs. They offer diesel and standard grade gasoline. Payment must be made in U.S. dollars and the nearest ATM for U.S. dollars is at Pier 8. There is a fueling station for government vehicles and POVs on CFAC in Chinhae. They offer diesel and standard grade gasoline at the set government rate for government vehicles and POVs. You can purchase fuel in town on the economy, but make sure you get the proper grade for your vehicle. Korean gas is measured and priced in liters and is more expensive.

car repair and maintenance The closest military auto care center is the Car Care Center at Camp Henry (DSN: 315-768-8164) on USAG Daegu in Daegu. Additionally, there is a Car Care Center at USAG Yongsan in Seoul (DSN: 315-724-6037).


public transportation basics In Korea, motorized vehicles have the right-of-way

over pedestrians.

Crosswalks/pedestrian crossings Check that traffic has stopped before you cross. The walk light does not mean that the traffic has stopped. Quite often traffic will continue for at least a few cars once the RED light is shown. Pedestrian crossings are often placed one or two car lengths back from the light/intersection. Cyclists Cycling is increasingly popular in Korea and most subway cars now accept bicycles. Bicycle lanes are painted on sidewalks, so cyclists and pedestrians share most sidewalks. Transportation in the ROK is provided by extensive networks of railways, highways, bus routes, ferry services and air routes that criss-cross the country. The ROK is also the third country in the world to operate a commercial magnet levitation (maglev) train called ‘Light Rail Transit’ (LRT). Most of the ROK uses a unified charging system to reduce financial burdens of anyone using public transportation. Even if a passenger has multiple transfers in different transportation types (subway, different buses and etc.) the passenger is charged as using one transportation type.


This unified charging system introduced T-Money, Cash-Bee and Transportation Cards, which can be purchased for 3,000 - 8,000 won and recharged at most convenience stores (GS25 or C4U), any Woori Bank and any subway station kiosk. With an applicable transportation card, you get the benefits of the unified charging system. You must place your card on the reading machine while getting on and off the bus (or subway), so the distance traveled is recognized with the card and the total charges are calculated by the machine. When transferring you may repeat the same process for each ride, so the price is lower depending on your distance traveled. To benefit from the unified charging system, the transfer layover time must not exceed 30 minutes (or 1 hour during 9:00 pm ~ 7:00 am). If you pay with cash, an extra 100 won is charged. T-Money, Cash-Bee and Transportation Cards can be used on: • Subway • Light Rail Transit (e.g. to the airport) • Taxis • Local buses • Local road tollways Also, you can also buy “cell phone jewelry” which has the exact same RFID as the Transportation Card, and can be used the same way. Prices for these vary, and they come in innumerable designs.

getting around Bus Lines The front of the bus has the destination displayed in Korean, English and Japanese. The front seats of the bus have yellow seat covers, which mean they are designated for elderly people.

taxis If you are waving over a taxi, do not wave frantically. Put your hand out, face forward and wave your hand. Taxis are generally inexpensive. Most taxi drivers do not speak English, so it is recommended you show the destination name in Korean. The standard fare for a regular taxi starts at 2,8003000 won for the first two kilometers, and then 100 won for each 143m, or every 34 seconds if the taxi is going under 15 kph. Fares increase 20% between midnight and 4 a.m. Deluxe “mobeom” taxis charge 4,500 won for the first 3km and then 200 won for each 160m or 38 seconds. Fares increase 20% between midnight and 4 a.m. The deluxe taxi is black and has a yellow sign on top.

subway Busan, Seoul and Pyeongtaek (Camp Humphreys) have extensive subway systems that connect to the KTX (Korea Train Express) trains. Chinhae relies on a bus and taxi system.

train KTX high-speed trains connect Seoul to Busan with several stops in between including Daegu and Daejeon. The average trip is 2 hours and 45 minutes and will cost around 53,000 won for coach and 83,000 for first class. Tickets can be purchased at the counter through on-site English-language machines or on the internet at https://goo.gl/tpk1lr.

Air ROK has seven international airports: Busan (Gimhae Airport), Cheongju, Daegu, Jeju, Muan and Seoul (Gimpo Airport and Incheon International Airport).

Incheon International Airport, about an hour west of Seoul, is the country’s largest airport, with good connections throughout the world. There are direct inter-city buses to many locations throughout ROK just outside the international arrival hall and you can buy tickets at the airport. The airport has a direct rail service to Seoul station by the express and all stop AREX (Airport Railroad Express) trains. The express service takes 43 minutes to reach Seoul Station and offers a more mainline train journey. The all stop train takes a slightly longer 56 minutes and offers a more subway like journey. You can reach the airport by the AREX train, an Airport Limousine bus, or by line 5 or line 9 of the Seoul Subway. Seoul Gimpo airport is more centrally located next to Seoul than Incheon, and offers primarily domestic flights to most South Korean cities. Busan’s Gimhae airport (PUS) has international flights to Cambodia, China, Guam, Japan, Hong Kong, Laos, Malaysia, Philippines, Russia, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam. If arriving/departing from Incheon Airport on Korean Air it is possible to book connecting flights to/from Busan though the airline, note that as immigration is completed in Busan, it is not possible to leave the Incheon Airport and baggage is checked right through to Busan. Air Busan and Korean Air offer flights from Seoul Gimpo to Busan which can often be cheaper than the KTX.


Public Transportation getting around Ferry You can also travel to China, Japan and Russia by ferry. Ferry routes are less expensive but slower than air. To use the ferries, you require your passport: Ferry to/from China Incheon Port International Passenger Terminal -Inquiries: +82-32-880-3300, +82-1599-5985 (Korean, Chinese) -Ferry schedule: Please check the official website to confirm the details. (Korean only) https://goo.gl/tkWFH8 Departure Point

Travel Time (Approx.)











Shi Dao


















Arrival Point


Departure Point

Travel Time (Approx.)









Arrival Point


Ferry to/from Russia Donghae Port International Ferry Terminal -Ferry schedule: Please check the official website to confirm the details. Departure Point

Travel Time (Approx.)

Arrival Point




For additional ferry information, please visit https://goo.gl/h7GVON Ferry schedules are subject to change depending on the weather and other unforeseen conditions, so you should get details from the official websites before proceeding. Pyeongtaek

Pyeongtaek International Passenger Terminal -Inquiries: +82-31-8024-8962 (Korean, Chinese) -Ferry schedule: Please check the official website to confirm the details. (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese) https://goo.gl/SVXIR5


Ferry to/from Japan Busan Port International Passenger Terminal Ferry schedule: Please check the official website to confirm the details. (Korean only) https://goo.gl/rzNSRK

For more information about ferries, please see the website at https://goo.gl/Lh6LHd

busan basics & transportation Public transportation The local public transportation system provides prompt and efficient metro, bus and taxi services. There are a total of four metro lines, 133 bus routes and about 25,000 private and corporate taxis providing taxi services 24 hours a day.

taxis You can use the Busan Transportation Card to pay for most taxis, however, there is no discount on the fare.

Busan (also spelled Pusan) is a bustling city of approximately 3.6 million residents located on the southeastern tip of the Korean peninsula. It’s geography includes a coastline featuring beaches, scenic cliffs and mountains. Commander, U.S. Naval Forces Korea is based in Busan, new home for the U.S. Navy in Korea. CNFK is the only U.S. headquarters located on a ROK fleet base. Busan is the second largest city in Korea, and is the largest container handling port in the country and the fifth largest in the world. Busan is known as a world class city for tourism and culture, as well as a hot spot destination for international conventions.

Translation service

For more information on taxis in Busan, visit https://goo.gl/spj3J2 or https://goo.gl/Q8KzkX

Busan Bus fares City


Child (6-13)

Teen (1318)

Adult (19+)

Child (6-13)

Teen (1319)

Adult (19+)

Child (6-13)

Teen (1319)

Adult (19+)

Cash Fare










Transportation Card










Amounts depicted in Korean Won (KRW)

Late Night

Bus Lines Though the trips are more lengthy than a taxi, Busan has a good and comprehensive bus system.

Busan City Government (BCG) is now advertising free translation services for foreign residents when using public institutions and hospitals. The announcement states if you sign up for the service and use any of these institutions, supporters will be available to accompany you for translation purposes.

For information on the Busan Bus system, please see the websites at https://goo.gl/3WpytX & https:// goo.gl/J8ebm3 & https://goo.gl/078OcO

The service covers 12 languages such as English, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Vietnamese, Uzbek, Khmer, Mongolian, Thai, Filipino, and Myanmarese. The supporters are selected based on their language skills and Interpreting experience, and they directly participate in the service to support the clients.

Busan has a very robust and inexpensive subway system, with signs and announcements in English. There are four lines serving the city:

Direct application is available through BCG Call Center (1577-7716). Please apply at least 3 days prior to using the service. Personal businesses, legal judgments, examination results, or medical diagnoses of life and death are excluded from the service.


• • • •

Line 1 (Red) Sinpyeong through Nopo-dong Line 2 (Green) Yangsan through Jangsan Line 3 (Brown) Daejeo through Suyeong Line 4 (Blue) Minam through Ahn Pyung, Gijang


busan transportation The subways run from 05:10 a.m. through 12:45 a.m. and tickets can be purchased at the ticket vending machines inside the subway stop. The standard fee is between 1,100 and 1,300 won depending on the length of the trip. There are discounts for elementary school students and some cars have specially designated seats for elderly, disabled and pregnant passengers. There is an additional Purple line (Gimhae Light Railway) that connects the Airport and the West of Busan to the subway network. The fares are not integrated. For more information on the Busan subway, please see the websites at https://goo.gl/UNfS8M and https://goo.gl/uTHqoH

train Busan is very well connected on the Korean rail network and a main hub for the fast and efficient Korea Train Express (KTX) trains. Busan has six train stations: • • • • • •

Busan station Kupo station Haeundae station Songjeong station Busanjin station Bujeon station

Busan station, located in Choryang, is by far the largest and serves as the regional hub of Busan.


Air Busan’s International Gimhae Airport (PUS) is situated outside Busan and is the third most important airport in Korea. There are separate Domestic and International terminals next to each other, each with basic facilities and food outlets. An information center is on the first floor of the International terminal as well as on the first and second floors of the Domestic terminal. There are also touch screen information services on the first floor of each terminal. The terminals are within walking distance, but there is a free airport bus shuttle for passengers to transit between the terminals. For more information about Gimhae airport, please see the website at https://goo.gl/pwL32P

Ferry Busan has regular international ferry services to Japan. The International Ferry Terminal is located near Jungangdong and you can purchase tickets to Japan and Japan Rail tickets. For a detailed map on Busan, visit: https://goo.gl/GxhPBf For more information on Busan, visit: https://goo.gl/mlrxVR & https://goo.gl/DHIZzj

Line 1 (Orange)


Intercity Bus

Line 2 (Green)



Line 3 (Brown)

Express Train

Line 4 (Blue)

Int’l/Domestic Ferry

Busan Gimhae Light Rail

Express-Intercity Bus

busan housing ARRIVAL & TEMPORARY lodging While residing in temporary lodging in Busan, you will likely have to front-load some initial out of pocket expenses. The per diem rate for Busan for fiscal year 2017 is $381 - $233 for lodging and $148 for meals and incidental expenses. Remember, you are not allowed to use your Government Travel Charge Card for travel associated with PCS. You will receive Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA) to cover those expenses, but it may take up to two months for you to receive that allowance. By spending your first few days in Chinhae, you will keep your lodging cost down as well. In either scenario, be prepared to incur debt for costs associated with arrival to Busan while finding a home. But don’t worry, you will be reimbursed later through TLA. Sailors stationed in Busan acquire housing through the Commander, Fleet Activities Chinhae (CFAC) Family Housing Service Center located on CFAC. The CFAC Family Housing Service Center helps service members find a rental in Busan that meets all the requirements as outlined in USFK Reg 210-51, USFK/CNIC Housing Referral Service Program. Safety inspections will be performed and a fair market price will be determined and agreed upon by the owners.

CFAC Family Housing Service Center. Busan has an abundance of modern apartments. However, there are still some differences from the U.S. standard such as size, electric voltage, no garage, etc. There are ample apartments all over Busan, well within the Overseas Housing Allowance limits, in popular areas including Haeundae, Kyungsung, Gwangali and Centum City.

household goods All service members stationed in Busan will need to use the Household Goods Transportation office on USAG Daegu for inbound and outbound household goods shipping and receiving once housing has been secured. The office is located in Building T-1845 on Camp Henry in USAG Daegu at DSN: 315-7686794 (Inbound) and 315-768-6791 (Outbound). Please call to set up an appointment to discuss arrangements needed. For more information about the process, rules and a general idea of renting in Busan, see pages 26-29.

Service members will use the CFAC Family Housing Service Center. CFAC housing personnel can assist in preventing delays due to the language barrier and prevent complications such as financial dispute or eviction. All housing units must be inspected and certified by a CFAC Housing Representative as adequate and the lease must be processed by the


seoul Basic & Transportation Seoul is the largest city in the Republic of Korea, and

Public Transportation

It was the chosen location of King Taejo, the first ruler of the Joseon Dynasty, who immediately set about enshrining the status of his new capital with a series of palaces, fortress walls and temples.

There are three options of public transport: Bus, Taxi and Metro. For Bus and Metro, it is recommended to use T-Money cards as fares are discounted 100 won (about 10 cents) per trip and you are allowed up to four free transfers.

has served as the country’s capital for 600 years.

Seoul is a blend of ancient traditions and cutting-edge technology, home to varying street food vendors and vast nightlife districts. It is home to more than half of all South Koreans along with approximately 600,000 international residents.

Seoul’s T-Money cards can also be used for the buses and subway in Busan but can’t be recharged at the machines in subway stations. Many national convenience store chains such as GS25 and C4U can do so, or the card can be charged in other areas of Korea. Please visit https://goo.gl/M7XAYh for maps and guide books of Seoul.

Taxis All taxis in the Seoul area accept credit cards or prepaid public transportation cards (T-Money card), but some taxis in the outlying regions may request cash only. Keep this in mind and make sure to have some cash in (W) with you if you plan to use a cab in remote areas. The taxi fare is calculated by distance and time and basic fares can slightly vary from region to region.


transportation Bus Lines Blue buses travel across the city and drive through at least two districts. Green buses operate in at least one district and carry passengers to metro transfer points. Red buses are express buses connecting Seoul with the suburbs and cities surrounding it. Bus service is fast and direct, so if you need to go outside of Seoul and don’t want to take the train, take this. If you have subscribed to a local Telecom service there is free WiFi for you. Yellow buses travel in a closed circle around major districts.

subway & train Seoul City’s subway system currently consists of lines 1 through 9 plus the Jungang Line, Bundang Line, and Gyeongui Line. The color-coded subway lines make the Seoul Metro quite easy to use. Operation hours are from 5:30 to approximately 24:00. The estimated travel time between subway stations is 2~3 minutes. Train schedules can vary depending on the line in question. You can find more information about the subway system in Seoul at https://goo.gl/OCH37D & an interactive map at https://goo.gl/nQtLm8

Air transportation Seoul Airport, known officially as Incheon International Airport (ICN) is located 30 miles west of Seoul. ICN serves mostly domestic destinations and shuttle flights to alternate airports in Taiwan, Japan and China. There are many 24-hour restaurants in the airport. Free WiFi is also available in the airport. For more information about Incheon airport, visit https://goo.gl/D2GQ8G For a detailed map on Seoul, visit: https://goo.gl/NQc4ol For more information on Seoul, visit https://goo.gl/QTiLPm & https://goo.gl/4O9g7v & https://goo.gl/ndSQxz


housing Housing for Navy personnel assigned to CNFK in Seoul is provided through U.S. Army Garrison Yongsan. Unaccompanied personnel are normally assigned to Unaccompanied Personnel Housing (UPH) on-post. These facilities consist of barracks, Bachelor Enlisted Quarters (BEQ), Senior Enlisted Quarters (SEQ) and Bachelor Officer Quarters (BOQ). Unaccompanied personnel are required to reside in onpost government quarters if quarters are available for their rank. Only when UPH is full will service members be given a certificate of nonavailability and be authorized to reside off-post. For information on UPH, call DSN: 738-5506 Accompanied, command-sponsored personnel are housed in Family Housing located on Yongsan Garrison South Post. When you in process at the Yongsan Garrison Housing Office, your name will be placed on the appropriate waiting list for your rank and family composition. Your placement on the waiting list will be based on your eligibility date. Your eligibility date is normally the date you departed your previous duty station. The bedroom requirement is determined by the size of your family. Couples with no children or with one child are eligible for two-bedroom units. Sponsors with two children are authorized three bedroom units and Families with three or more children are authorized four bedrooms. Family Housing is normally available upon arrival except for four and five bedroom requirements. Families with four bedroom or larger requirements may voluntarily accept a unit with fewer bedrooms than they are authorized. This may significantly decrease the waiting time for quarters; however, keep in mind that you will be considered adequately housed for the remainder of your tour, if you elect to do this. For information on housing travel status or availability of family housing, call DSN: 738-3211


The Housing Division is located in Building 4106, the Army Community Service (ACS) Building. The Housing Division is a one-stop service for all housing needs including Family Housing Assignments and Terminations, UPH Assignments & Terminations, Housing Referral Services, Furnishings, and Maintenance of all types of housing. Our hours of operation are: 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday and 12:30-4 p.m. Thursday. To make an appointment for in-processing or any housing issues, please call DSN: 738-4096 For more information please go to the official US Army Garrison Yongsan page: https://goo.gl/ndSQxz

Household Goods All service members stationed in Seoul will need to use the Army Community Service Center on USAG Yongsan for inbound and outbound household goods shipping and receiving once housing has been secured. The office is located in Building 4106 in USAG Yongsan at DSN: 315-738-7505

chinhae basics & transportation Chinhae (also spelled Jinhae) is a district in Changwon

City. It is a small city with a population of approximately 140,000 people located on the southeast tip of the Korean peninsula and cradled by the Jahng Bok San Mountains. Chinhae is home for Commander, Fleet Activities Chinhae (CFAC) and the Republic of Korea (ROK) Naval Academy as well as ROK’s largest navy base. Home to approximately 260 sailors and family members, Chinhae offers Sailors a small-town comfort not found in Korea’s larger cities. Each spring tourists from around the region visit to see approximately 160,000 cherry trees blossom during the famous Cherry Blossom Festival.

There are several services a day from Seoul’s Nambu Terminal, taking around 4 hours and costing around 25,000 Won and several from Daegu. Buses to and from Busan run every 15 minutes, costing 5100 Won and take 45 minutes to an hour to reach Chinhae. The nearest bus stop from CFAC From the CFAC main gate, cross the street and head toward the ‘Jinhae Girl’ high school. Continue until you see a CU convenience store and cross the street. Go through the tunnel and cross the street, immediately make a left. follow that road until you see a foot massage parlor and ‘Angel’s Coffee shop.’ Continue on until a large intersection and make a right. Head straight until you come to a McDonalds on your left. The crosswalk is directly in front of the McDonalds.

subway & train While there is no regular train service to Chinhae, the KTX does travel to Masan station which is 15 minutes from base. Temporary train service is also established during the festival season. For more information, visit https://goo.gl/tpk1lr

Air Chinhae has a rich history and there are many cultural sites nearby such as temples, museums, and monuments. The Township of Chinhae was planned as early as 1902, but did not become a reality until 1912. In 1931 Chinhae was upgraded to a town and then in 1955 became a city. In 1975 some of the islands off the coast were annexed as part of the city. For more information about Chinhae, visit https:// goo.gl/PWrdUT (Chinhae no longer supports English website)

Public transportation Although Chinhae is growing, this part of the country lacks a sufficient public transportation system, with no trains (except during the Cherry Blossom Festival), no subway, some local buses and the closest airport being in Busan (Gimhae International Airport). The easiest way to get to Chinhae is by bus.

Chinhae’s closest airport is the Gimhae Airport (PUS), located 30 miles from CFAC base outside of Busan. Most Gimhae-bound flights originating in the U.S. will require a layover. To reach Chinhae from Incheon you will need to take a domestic flight, train, or arrange another mode of travel. If you travel by train, plan to arrive at Masan Station (about 15 minutes from base). For more information about Gimhae airport, visit www.airport.co.kr/gimhaeeng/index.do For a map of Chinhae, visit: http://eng.changwon. go.kr/map/map_guide_E/map.html For more information on Chinhae, visit: https://goo.gl/PWrdUT & https://goo.gl/xSm5M9 For base information & resources, visit: https://goo.gl/RILfKV


chinhae housing preparing for new housing All service members stationed in Chinhae or Busan need to in-process with the CFAC Family Housing Service Center within 48 hours of arrival or completion of in-processing.

preparing for new housing in Chinhae Accompanied Sailors will be placed in military housing, based on availability. If appropriate housing is not available, families will live off post. There are many Korean realtors that can help families find off post housing. Unaccompanied Sailors will normally live in one or two person barracks on post based upon rank. The Navy barracks were awarded the CEL A-list Award for the last 4 straight years. Family housing and unaccompanied housing are available on base at Chinhae. The CFAC Housing Service Center will also assist where off-base housing is appropriate. For more information on housing for Chinhae and Busan, please go to https://goo.gl/oxjxHA

CFAC housing eligability Eligibility for on-base housing is on a first come-first serve basis. If there is no availability on-base, the Housing Service Center (HSC) will arrange for you to move out in town. In addition, the HSC will assist you in locating adequate and affordable economy housing. All military and civilian personnel must process their lease agreement with the Housing CFAC Family Service Center and are strongly encouraged to attend the Off-Post Housing Briefing prior to entering into a lease agreement. Note: Only in the event of adequate quarters not being available will an unaccompanied service member be authorized to reside off-post.

working with the cfac housing office The first step to moving to Busan is to make contact with the CFAC Family Housing Service Center through the Housing Early Application Tool (HEAT).


Navy Housing has developed HEAT to assist service members and their families in applying for housing Navy-wide. HEAT allows service members and their families to get the housing application process started online before or after they receive their Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders. HEAT creates an easy user experience to connect with your PCS destination. Spouses can use the application as well, needing only minimal information about their service member. For more information about this program, please see the website at https://goo.gl/tfZgXZ

cfac housing options If living on a military base is the preferred or only option for you and your family, service members and their command-sponsored dependents can apply for on-base housing at CFAC in Chinhae or U.S. Army Garrison Daegu. Be aware that Chinhae is an approximately one and a half hour drive from Busan each way, without traffic, while Daegu is approximately 2 hours drive each way, without traffic.

CFAC Family Housing Service Center Once you are in the Republic of Korea, you will need to contact or stop by the CFAC Family Housing Service Center in Chinhae to be briefed on the Housing Referral Service program. A CFAC representative will help you schedule appointments to look at apartments in Busan with a local realtor. Once you have found a home that you want, the CFAC Family Housing Service Center will inspect the property and negotiate the rental contact with the property landlord.

chinhae housing The CFAC Family Housing Service Center will assist the service member in completing the necessary paperwork and documentation. You will need:

• Provides rental agreements in English and Korean. •

Performs property and safety inspections.

• • • • •

Performs conflict resolution.

Service member’s PCS orders Housing Application Form (DD Form 1746) Sex Offender Policy Acknowledgement and Disclosure Form (CNIC 11103/1) Command Sponsorship for dependents Civilian only: - TCS Order (DD Form 1614) - Transportation Agreement (DD Form 1617)

household goods All service members stationed in Chinhae will need to use the Household Goods Transportation office on USAG Daegu for inbound and outbound household goods shipping and receiving once housing has been secured. The office is located in Building T-1845 on Camp Henry in USAG Daegu at DSN: 315-7686794 (Inbound) and 315-768-6791 (Outbound). Please call to set up an appointment to discuss arrangements needed. For more information, please see the CFAC Family Housing Service Center website at www. cfachousing.net or call DSN: 315-762-5454, COMM from ROK: 050-3362-5454 / 055-540-5454 or COMM from US: 011-82-10-3572-8684. For allowance or financial questions, please contact the CFAC Command Services Department at DSN:315-762-5203. The CFAC Family Housing Service Center offers the following services for those moving to Busan: •

Maintains an open referral system via realtors or landlord that ensures customers receive up-to-date information on nondiscriminatory rental properties.

Reviews and processes a landlord’s rental contract with the service member before signing.

Processes the paperwork for a lease contract, Lease Agreement form and the Overseas Housing Allowance.

Provides interpretation services in dealing with landlords.

paying rent Service members pay the monthly rent in the local currency, the Korean won, to the realtor or landlord and should ask for a receipt for each transaction. Service members may also pay via wire transfer if they have or acquire a Korean bank account. All high-rise apartments and villas (five-story) require service members to pay ‘management fees,’ which are the member’s responsibility. These expenses normally appear on your monthly bill as Basic Maintenance Fees (Cleaning of common areas, use of elevators, access area lighting, security, and parking expenses) and Utilities (Electricity, water and sewer). Gas is located on another bill. Basic Maintenance Fees vary according to the size of your chosen apartment. These varying charges must be paid with the ‘Utilities Allowance.’

internet/cable tv/satellite tv In the Republic of Korea, internet and television are packaged together and provided by your landlord unless otherwise stated in your lease. A cable box comes with your apartment and is usually accompanied by a TV. If you require a modem/router, you must speak with your landlord/realtor as they are required to provide one upon request. You also have the option of bringing or purchasing a high-speed modem/router of your own. Typical streaming programs (i.e. Netflix or Hulu) may not work properly or have the same access to content as in the U.S.


chinhae housing You will have four types of shipments for your PCS. • • • •

Hand Carried and Flight Checked Baggage. Unaccompanied Baggage Household Goods Shipment CONUS Storage (Items normally kept in back yards, i.e. grill/patio furniture, and garage items, i.e. tool chests/ladders, are good candidates for CONUS storage)

As always, keep all your important documents and records with you as hand carried baggage. Due to increased airport security, please check with your airline or visit https://goo.gl/y47GWV or https://goo.gl/dXr8mu for more information on what is allowed in carry-on luggage.

loaner furnishing program Eligible service members are authorized available loaner furnishings for 90 days while waiting for their Household Goods. The CFAC Family Housing Service Center will process and schedule your furnishing request once your lease has been finalized. For more information, please contact the CFAC Family Housing Service Center at DSN: 315-762-5291 for accompanied and DSN: 315-762-5336 for unaccompanied.

What to bring Please visit https://goo.gl/SXx8fB for detailed information on military moving. The Republic of Korea uses 220v power outlets (vs. 110v power in the US). U.S. military installations use standard U.S. 110v power outlets.

For your checked baggage, remember to check your orders and confirm with your airline about the number of bags and the weight limit. Some suggested essentials are current seasonal clothes, comfortable shoes, personal entertainment, favorite snacks, and any car/ booster seats that you will need. Your unaccompanied baggage or express shipment may be the only shipment you receive while you live in a hotel or temporary housing until your permanent housing is settled. Even if you move into your permanent housing right away, your household goods may not arrive for a few months. Consider sending the following items as unaccompanied baggage: • • • • • • • •

Kitchen & eating necessities, including plates, utensils, pots and pans Towels (bath and kitchen) Bed linens including blankets and pillows Children’s items, particularly their favorite games and toys Baby crib, changing table, jogger stroller, etc Computer equipment Small hand tools (hammer, screwdriver) Lightweight decorations

The government allows only a certain percentage of your total weight allowance to be shipped as household goods to Korea. Please visit https:// goo.gl/dh4Ntv for more information on weight allowance. The remainder of your items will need to be placed in storage at government expense.


chinhae housing recycling & garbage disposal The Republic of Korea uses a system called “jongnyangje” for garbage collection and recycling. All garbage must be disposed of properly otherwise you may be fined. Either garbage must be separated according to its respective garbage type or placed in regulation green plastic bags. Regulation garbage bags must be used. It is against the law to put non-regulatory garbage bags in the containers meant for unseparated trash. The bags can be purchased at local supermarkets or convenience stores in your neighborhood. There are generally six or seven sizes: 2, 5, 10, 20, 50 and 100 liters, and prices vary according to size.

Disposal Procedures: • Common Garbage - Use regulation garbage bags and place outside in designated area. • Food Waste - There are collection bins dedicated for food waste disposal and located at designated areas within each apartment complex, you do not need to use regulation garbage bags. • Recyclable Items - Materials that are recyclable such as plastic, cans, bottles, and paper should be sorted and placed in the appropriate bin. • Large Waste Objects - Home electronics and large items should be placed in the designated collection area. Service members should know that each apartment complex has unique rules for trash disposal and you should ask about the particular rules and regulations while apartment hunting. Refer to the Resident Handbook provided at the time of your lease agreement signing or pre-lease inspection to formulate a better idea of these rules.


pyeongtaek basics & transportation Pyeongtaek, a dynamic city of approximately 442,000 residents, is located on the middle west tip of the Korean peninsula. The natural environment of Pyeongtaek is a perfect example of harmony between open fields, streams and sea. Its geography includes a coastline which provides excellent beautiful views. It is under a great oceanic climate influence from the West Sea. It encompasses Pyeongtaek Port, one of South Korea’s four major ports, as well as Samsung and LG Electronics among the large companies. It also has a transport link with five expressways, a high-speed train system, Gyeongbu Railroad Line, and the Seoul metropolitan subway system, and houses 1,900 factories, giving it the best business environment and infrastructure. In particular, Pyeongtaek accounts for 16% of the total rice produced by Gyeonggi and raises the most delicious Pyeongtaek pear, making it an all-weather agricultural area. For more information, on things to see in Pyeongtaek, please see this website at https://goo.gl/H7o5UC and https://goo.gl/aNvG8I United States Army Garrison (USAG) Humphreys is located in Pyeongtaek. Over the next few years, Camp Humphreys will become the largest U.S. Army installation in the Republic of Korea. The nearest airport to Pyeongtaek is the Incheon International Airport - South Korea’s busiest airport, and main international gateway through which most people moving to Pyeongtaek are bound to arrive in the country. The province is currently investing heavily in its education system, opening a number of reputable high schools and universities which are ideal for future expats in Pyeongtaek who are relocating with children. All Spouses: Spouses who wish to maintain a homebased business must comply with the Status of Forces Agreement. Additionally, home-based business owners are prohibited from using overseas military post offices for business shipments, so you should be prepared to use Federal Express on post or the Korean postal system as necessary.


Bus Lines Because the bus terminal and express bus terminal to Seoul, the train station and the subway are all within a three-minute walk, transportation into and out of the city is very easy. Buses from the Pyeongtaek Bus Station go throughout South Korea. For the express bus to Seoul you need the Pyeongtaek Express Bus Terminal which is located between the Intercity Bus Station and AK Plaza. The Pyeongtaek Intercity Bus Terminal/Station is a great option for getting to Incheon (13,300 won) or Gimpo (8,400 won) Airports from Camp Humphreys. From here you can take the Airport Limousine Bus to either airport. For an on-base bus schedule, visit: https://goo.gl/mbrOYO

Pyeongtaek BUS fares City Amounts depicted in Korean Won (KRW)


Child (6-12)

Teen (13-18)

Adult (19+)

Child (6-12)

Teen (13-19)

Adult (19+)

Cash Fare







Transportation Card







pyeongtaek transportation

subway & train Pyeongtaek Station is the main train station serving the city of Pyeongtaek. It is on the Gyeongbu Line and is also served by Seoul Subway Line 1. It is not a KTX station. To find a train, or to purchase a ticket in advance, visit: https://goo.gl/tpk1lr

Air transportation Pyeongtaek’s nearest major airport is Cheongju International Airport (CJJ / RKTU). This airport has international and domestic flights and is 79 km from the center of Pyeongtaek. For more information about Incheon airport, visit https://goo.gl/4a5MnQ For a detailed map of Pyeongtaek, visit: https://goo.gl/NQc4ol For more information on Pyeongtaek, visit: https://goo.gl/f9TwFf & https://goo.gl/fWPDtc For base information & resources, visit: https://goo.gl/GsaA27 & https://goo.gl/sjUhJy


education international Schools BUSAN There are no Department of Defense Dependents Schools (DoDDS) located in Busan. The two fully accredited international schools in Busan are Busan International Foreign School (BIFS) and Busan Foreign School (BFS). It is possible for military dependents to attend other Korean and private schools in Busan as well. However, service members must register and get approval through the Non-DoD Schools Program (NDSP) at https://goo.gl/g4hJpJ BIFS, formerly known as the International School of Busan, was established in 1983, and has a long and distinguished history of serving the international expatriate community in and around the Busan area. BIFS offers programs for students from Pre-school to 12th Grade through their Early Learning Centre, Elementary School, Middle School and High School. BIFS has received authorization from the International Baccalaureate Organization to provide the IB Primary Years Program (PYP) and the IB Diploma Program. These are international, transdisciplinary programs designed to foster the development of the whole child, not just in the classroom but also through other means of learning. BIFS is accredited by the Western Association for Schools and Colleges (WASC). For more information, please see the school website at https://goo.gl/FViJHs BFS was established in October of 1996. It has since expanded to encompass nursery (age 3) to twelfth grade, currently educating over 220 students from 25 different nations. The curriculum has developed into a highly rigorous American standards-based program that offers students a wide variety of courses and activities. BFS is fully accredited from prekindergarten to grade 12 by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).


For more information, please see the school website at https://goo.gl/ztYqkf Like DoDDS, there is no DoD childcare available in Busan. Korean daycare/preschool can vary in cost, depending on the school and program. Both International Schools, as well as other public and private schools in Busan, offer Pre-K, however, DoDEA does not cover the cost and parents should contact the schools directly about Pre-K fees and programs to waive those costs. Please talk with your sponsor and other military spouses for referrals and always ask for references. Both BFS and BIFS charge fees that are not covered by Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA), but both schools offer programs to DoD and other U.S. government employee families to cover these costs. Please contact the schools directly for more information.

Dodd schools chinhae C. T. Joy Elementary School on CFAC in Chinhae has approximately forty children in kindergarten through 8th grade. Those who choose to enroll command-sponsored family members in C.T. Joy Elementary School may live in Chinhae and have their sponsor commute to/ from work in Busan, approximately 1.5 hours each way. If you choose to live in Busan, you are not allowed to enroll your dependents in the DoD school in Chinhae because you will reside outside the school commuting area. Families are free to choose the best schooling and living options that fit their individual needs. Please see the C. T. Joy Elementary School website at https://goo.gl/lKs2MP and https://goo. gl/lrdXrp for more information about its program. Daegu American School (DAS) and Daegu High School (DHS) have been serving family members of military and civilian personnel for over 30 years. DAS is located on Camp George in Daegu and serves grades PK – 8 with an enrollment of approximately 700 students. DHS is located on Camp Walker in Daegu and has an enrollment size of 350 students. The high school serves children from USAG Daegu and CFAC, due to an exception to policy that allows CFAC students to attend DHS as there are no accredited international high schools in Chinhae. Those who choose to enroll command-sponsored family members in DAS or DHS may live in Daegu and have their sponsor commute to/from work in Busan, approximately 2 hours each way. If you choose to live in Busan, you are not allowed to enroll your dependents in the DoD schools in Daegu because you will reside outside the school commuting area. At DAS, the elementary program, Kindergarten through grade five, operates in self-contained classrooms with specialists available in music, art, Korean culture, computer education, physical education and a foreign language (Spanish). Grades six and eight follow the pattern of curriculum for general education in United States secondary schools. Daegu American School is fully accredited by the North Central Association of Schools and Colleges, the largest school accrediting agency in the United States. Specialists in Learning Disabilities, Speech Therapy, English as a Second Language, and Reading are available to students Sure Start- 8 who require additional services.

Daegu High School strives to offer a rigorous academic program, along with engaging creative and extracurricular opportunities, all designed to encourage excellence from students. Their accreditation process and standards, which are certified by DoDEA and Advanced ED, are based on ongoing self-assessment against quality standards, rigorous on-site evaluation, and continuous improvement. Diplomas and credits earned at DHS are fully recognized and transferable. DHS students have the chance to compete in yearround sports and extracurricular activities with other DoDDS schools in Korea and the Pacific, including Japan, Guam, and Okinawa. Military and civilian command-sponsored dependents are eligible for enrollment. Limited enrollment in grades K-12 is available to dependents of non-command-sponsored personnel, as there are space-availability constraints. For more information on the DoDDS schools in Daegu, see their websites at https://goo.gl/qIwI8W for DHS & https://goo.gl/9fVVfP for DAS. Additional resources are available through the School Liaison Officer and the Child, Youth and School Services office at USAG Daegu at https:// goo.gl/uaHHxT

seoul Seoul American Elementary School (SAES) has a large campus, with seven buildings and a cafeteria. The main building houses primary classrooms, the Information Center, the Dolphin Theater, and computer labs. Grades 3, 4 and 5 and some Kindergarten and 2nd grade classrooms are located in outlying buildings. There are about 1100 students at Seoul American Elementary School. The staff consists of over 90 professional educators, 20 educational aides and 10 clerical personnel. This is a dynamic school, where teachers are dedicated and work hard to help children achieve their highest academic goals and potential. Their curriculum is based on the U.S. National Standards with special classes including Art, Music, Physical Education, FLES (Spanish), Computer and Korean Culture. You can peruse the DoDEA curriculum standards online. After school activities offered include: Choir, Yearbook, Homework Club, Art, Karate, and many more.


school DODD Schools If you have a child with special needs, we have outstanding Special Education, Literacy, Gifted Education, and English as a Second Language programs. If you feel your child qualifies for any of these programs, we have a highly trained support staff ready to help. Being located in a foreign country, SAES encourages teachers to take study trips throughout the area. Classes have gone to restaurants to experience Korean food, to the demilitarized zone (DMZ) to further appreciate our freedom, to Suwon Folk Village to learn about Korean life, and many other places that will be new and exciting for you. For more information on this school, visit: https://goo.gl/xK1Txb Seoul American Middle School is a Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA) school located on U.S. Army Garrison Yongsan, Republic of Korea. USAG Yongsan serves the largest population of Americans (17,000) in Korea. The garrison comprises just over 630 acres located within Yongsan District of Seoul, Korea’s capital. Seoul is the largest city in Korea and the world’s second largest metropolitan area with over 25 million people. For more information on this school, visit: https://goo.gl/d56nzI Seoul American High School is located on Yongsan Army Base in the center of Seoul, Korea. The school complex is comprised of eight buildings containing over 60 classrooms and special purpose rooms. The school has two well equipped combination faculty lounges and work areas. A library/media center houses 12,000 books and a full complement of audio visual materials. The educator staff of 70 is comprised of the usual range of education specialists in addition to classroom teachers. In addition to the main, arts, and gymnasium buildings a new structure which includes a JROTC section was opened in 1987. Additionally, JROTC formal inspections are held on Sims Field, the school’s fullsized astroturfed football and soccer field. For more information on this school, visit: https://goo.gl/BQf17A


Pyeongtaek Humphreys Central Elementary School’s vision is to implement an instructional program that provides a positive, nurturing climate that stimulates maximum academic and social growth, inspires appreciation and respect for diversity, and empowers all children to participate successfully in the 21st century society. This school comprises grades Sure Start through 5 with approximately 600 students. For more information on this school, visit: https:// goo.gl/8uVmn3 Humphreys High School, located on USAG Humphreys, comprises grades 6 through 12 with approximately 360 students and a faculty and staff of thirty educators. The school provides a general education curriculum much like any public high school in the United States, with college preparatory courses and various electives. It offers a safe and secure learning environment through the judicious application of school rules. Good order and discipline are important components to a safe and secure learning environment. School rules apply while at school and at all extracurricular activities and while on any form of transportation to or from an extracurricular activity. Three cameras that also record conversations monitor all behavior on busses. Teachers may establish their own classroom rules in their course syllabi, and students are expected to obey these rules as well. For more information on this school, visit: https://goo.gl/hdiVOU

school HOMESCHOOL & continuing eDUCATION Homeschool It is DoDEA policy to neither encourage nor discourage DoD sponsors from home schooling their minor dependents. According to DoD policy, the installation Commander’s responsibilities are logistical or administrative, there is no educational oversight regarding the public education provided by DoDDS. Home School Resources: • DoDEA Virtual School Program at https://goo.gl/KdYW7d •

National Home Education Research Institute at https://goo.gl/YFsq1f

United States Distance Learning Association at https://goo.gl/pFQ8iY

Home School Legal Defense Association at https://goo.gl/VP7JP5

To qualify for financial assistance for homeschooling, dependents must be Non-DoD Schools Program (NDSP) eligible. Parents electing to provide home-schooling instruction rather than enrolling their child in a local school must follow the procedures and guidelines of the NDSP. For more information on this program, please see the NDSP: Home-based Education website at https://goo.gl/yWWSn0 To find out some of the legal considerations concerning homeschooling overseas, visit the Homeschooling Legal Defense Association (https://goo.gl/VP7JP5, search “Military Homeschooling Overseas”).

education in Busan & Chinhae Service members and family members have access to non-traditional educational opportunities through the CFAC Support & Training Center in Chinhae. Additionally, there are several colleges and programs available at the Camp Henry Education Center on USAG Daegu in Daegu. While CFAC in Chinhae is considered a test center, CLEP testing is available only at National Test Centers located at Yongsan, Osan, Kunsan and Camp Henry in Daegu.

Several colleges offer distance education programs (online, video), which permit the service member to complete coursework without having to travel to the school. Information on all available distance learning programs can be found at the CFAC Support & Training Center at DSN: 315-762-5385 or the Camp Henry Education Center at DSN: 315-768-7919/7348. The Joint Language University has made Rosetta Stone and the CL-150 suite available for Service Members, which will allow you to start learning the language here and navigate through talking with locals: https://goo.gl/EzURTw

education in Seoul & Pyeongtaek USAG Yongsan and USAG Humphreys both contain on-base education centers for service members and family members. Yongsan Education Center offers a wide variety of educational programs and services. Educational counseling is first and primary service provided and is available to all ID card holders in the Yongsan Area community. Education counselors can assist with the following area: identifying educational and career goals, planning educational programs for career development, enrolling in college classes, scheduling tests, and evaluating educational progression. Information on all available learning programs in USAG Yongsan can be found at the Yongsan Education Center at DSN: 315-723-8098. Camp Humphreys Education Center provides many educational programs and services, including DANTES (SAT, ACT, others administered in Bldg 558) and Army Personnel Testing (DLAB, DLPT, AFCT, SIFT, others administered in Bldg S-300), educational and academic guidance counseling, officer commissioning programs guidance, OASC/GT improvement program, on-site colleges, training classrooms, in/out processing assistance, SOCAD program evaluations and multiuse learning facility (MLF). Information on all available learning programs in USAG Humphreys can be found at the Humphreys Education Center at DSN: 315-753-8901.


medical HEALTH CARE SCREENING Medical screening for overseas duty is required for both active duty personnel and their dependents prior to transfer from their detaching command. Decisions on overseas suitability are referred to Naval Hospital Yokosuka’s OSS committee in coordination with the Senior Medical Officer (SMO) at BHC Chinhae. Their guidelines can be found at https://goo.gl/7bJSCQ Military treatment facilities Branch Health Clinic (BHC) Chinhae on Fleet Activities Chinhae is the closest DoD medical facility to Busan and Chinhae and is a satellite clinic of the U.S. Naval Hospital Yokosuka, Japan. The clinic is staffed by a Family Medicine Physician and an Independent Duty Corpsman and four other Navy Corpsmen. It provides outpatient medical care (adult, pediatric and OB/Gyn) to the active duty service members, their dependents, retirees, civilian contractors, and Americans working abroad in Korea.

For clinical issues that cannot be addressed at the Korean TRICARE-affiliated facilities or BHC Chinhae, referrals can be made to the Wood Army Medical Clinic on Camp Walker at U.S. Army Garrison (USAG) Daegu in Daegu or the Brian Allgood Army Community Hospital on U.S. Army Garrison (USAG) Yongsan in Seoul. The Brian Allgood Army Community Hospital is the primary hospital and clinic in Seoul. The Camp Humphreys Army Health Clinic is the primary Hospital and clinic in Pyeongtaek. Patients must be enrolled in the clinic via TRICARE and assigned a primary care provider prior to scheduling appointments. The U.S. Military central appointment line for the entire Korean peninsula is DSN: 315-737-2273. For more information about the U.S. Army medical facilities, see their websites at https://goo.gl/fyHorr and https://goo.gl/7KY0QR

international sos and tricare International SOS (ISOS) is the TRICARE-affiliated service that coordinates health care overseas in the ROK. TRICARE Overseas Prime Remote provides beneficiaries with the benefits of TRICARE Overseas Prime in designated overseas locations not supported by a local Military Treatment Facility, like in Busan. Active Duty service members and their eligible family members must enroll in the program. Medical care is provided to beneficiaries through a network of credentialed host nation civilian providers in Busan managed by International SOS.

All active duty Navy service members stationed in Busan must be enrolled at BHC Chinhae. Dependents in Busan are typically enrolled in TRICARE Overseas Prime Remote, which allows them to see a local Korean physician for primary care, but some families choose to enroll at BHC Chinhae or seek periodic care at BHC Chinhae for certain needs and second opinions. For more information about BHC Chinhae, see their website at https://goo.gl/7bJSCQ or call at: 011-82-055-5405415 from the U.S. and 055-540-5415 from Korea


You can find more information about this program at https://goo.gl/Il5AMy or call an ISOS representative at COMM from Korea: 080-429-0880. You can contact a TRICARE representative for information on the health benefit options, which cover dependents within the Republic of Korea. The Brian Allgood Army Community Hospital in Seoul has a TRICARE office at DSN: 315-7371433 and BHC Chinhae at DSN: 315-762-5415 can provide guidance on benefits.

HEALTH CARE KOREAN MEDICAL FACILITIES Many of the Korean hospitals in Busan maintain an international clinic with reception, appointment booking and translation services in English, Russian, Chinese, Japanese and other languages. Many of the specialty physicians are U.S. or British trained and fluent or conversant in English. In Busan, inpatient and specialty care is provided at one of four TRICARE-approved and accredited local Korean hospitals. •

Busan St. Mary’s Hospital (Sung Mo) https://goo.gl/CziNFy COMM from U.S.: 011-82-51-933-7061

Pusan National University Hospital International Health Center https://goo.gl/V1TmlO COMM from U.S.: 011-82-10-2799-7031

Dong-Eui Medical Center International Medical Center https://goo.gl/dMF1P8 COMM from U.S.: 011-82-51-850-8941

Ilsin Christian Hospital https://goo.gl/CtR1LL COMM from U.S.: 011-82-51-630-0678

Emergency care can be provided at any of the abovelisted facilities. The emergency telephone number for an ambulance in the Republic of Korea is 119. There is no need to put an area code when dialing, even if calling from a cell phone. Translators are normally available in over a dozen languages, including English. However, if no translator is available when you call, you can also dial the Emergency Medical Information Center (EMIC) at 1339 and they will interpret for you. EMIC has a bilingual staff that speaks Korean plus English, Japanese, or Chinese to help if you are having trouble communicating with Korean medical staff while you are at a clinic or hospital.

If you receive care at any local Korean medical facilities, we recommended that you request documentation of your care and ensure that it is properly entered into your military medical record. You can bring any copies of Korean medical records to the BHC Chinhae to be entered in your records. Please check for the most current information on TRICARE-approved providers at https://goo.gl/YkC3bF

pharmacies The closest full-service military pharmacy to Busan and Chinhae is in the Wood Army Medical Clinic on Camp Walker at USAG Daegu in Daegu at DSN: 315-737-4803. BHC Chinhae also maintains a small pharmacy, and can fill up to a 3 month supply of most medications at no cost to you, if you have been seen as a patient at the BHC. We recommend you give BHC Chinhae Pharmacy a week’s notice before needing a refill to ensure a sufficient amount of the needed medication. You can have your prescriptions filled locally in Busan, but you will pay out of pocket to be reimbursed by TRICARE. You must fill out a DD Form 2642 and submit it to the TRICARE claims department, along with a copy of your prescription (in English) and your receipt (in English or Korean). The reimbursement process can take up to 2 months for a payment check to be mailed to your address. If you have questions about how to submit a reimbursement claim, please contact a TRICARE or ISOS representative. If you need help finding a local pharmacy, please check the TRICARE website and search for Pharmacy at https://goo.gl/YkC3bF Express Scripts is a mail-order pharmacy for TRICARE. All medications are provided at no cost if the medication itself is covered by TRICARE. You must create an account on the site and follow the procedures to have the prescribing physician submit the prescription to Express Scripts. For more information about this program, please see the website at https://goo.gl/ApVNI4 or https:// goo.gl/GqiAMV


medical HEALTH CARE eye care We recommend that all service members come with two pairs of eyeglasses or adequate contact lenses, gas mask inserts (command requirement) and a written prescription for your eyeglasses in case you need to replace them while in the Republic of Korea. Glasses and contact lenses can be purchased on the local economy at prices comparable to the U.S.

dental care There is no U.S. military dentist stationed in Chinhae. For that reason, service members and their dependents should have their Dental status updated prior to departure for the Republic of Korea. U.S. Army dentists come twice a year from the USAG Daegu and Naval Hospital Yokosuka dentists come quarterly to provide general dentistry at BHC Chinhae for active duty personnel only. Services provided include: exams, fillings, X-ray, and hygiene. Appointments should be made through the BHC Chinhae. Active duty service members and dependents over the age of 13 can seek routine dental care at the Bodine Dental Clinic on Camp Walker at USAG Daegu at DSN: 315-764-4307 or the Dental Clinic on Camp Carroll at USAG Daegu at DSN: 315-7658685. Emergency and sick call dental visits are seen at the Bodine Dental Clinic. Additional dental resources for dependents are available through local Korean TRICARE-affiliated dental offices via MetLife. All dependent beneficiaries are encouraged to enroll in MetLife, TRICARE’s dental program, on arrival to Korea to maintain their dental health and readiness. For more information on this program, visit the MetLife/TRICARE dental program’s website at https://goo.gl/CwE8nQ. To check for the most current Dental providers in Busan, please see the search application at https://goo.gl/YkC3bF


The U.S. Army has an optometry clinic near the Wood Army Medical Clinic at Camp Walker on USAG Daegu in Daegu at DSN: 315-737-4709 and USAG Yongsan in Seoul at DSN: 315-737-1464. Service members and dependents can make appointments for routine optometry care, including diabetic eye screenings at either USAG Daegu or USAG Yongsan. USAG Daegu provides 2 days of on-site full-scope optometry with same or next day fabrication of glasses and inserts bi-annually at BHC Chinhae. Appointments should be made through the BHC Chinhae. Additional optometric resources for dependents are available through local Korean TRICARE-affiliated optometry offices via ISOS and TRICARE Overseas Prime Remote. You can find more information about this program at https://goo.gl/Il5AMy or call an ISOS representative at COMM from Korea: 080429-0880

Pregnancy & prenatal care Routine prenatal care can be done at BHC Chinhae, but patients will need to deliver at a local Korean Hospital or larger Military Treatment Facility. Many patients will establish care with a local obstetrician, but will also be seen at the BHC Chinhae to ensure pregnancy-related counseling and testing meets American standards of care. Routine pregnancies may be able to transfer and deliver on a case-by-case basis to Naval Hospital Yokosuka, Naval Hospital Okinawa, the Brian Allgood Army Community Hospital on USAG Yongsan in Seoul, or most local Korean hospitals. Please contact BHC Chinhae for more information about this program.

medical HEALTH CARE Per USFK policy, single members who become pregnant will generally be transferred from Korea before 20 weeks gestation. Obstetric emergencies are seen by a local Korean obstetrician at St Mary’s Hospital or Pusan National University Hospital in Busan.

Mental Healthcare The closest Military Treatment Facility in Busan for mental health care of a service member is at the Wood Army Medical Clinic on Camp Walker at USAG Daegu, which has one psychologist and two social workers. Additionally, there are two Military & Family Life Counseling (MFLC) Program counselors in Daegu who are available to Navy personnel in Busan. They can be reached at COMM: 010-8693-5146 or 0104965-0644 and via email at mflcdaegu@gmail.com The Brian Allgood Army Community Hospital on USAG Yongsan in Seoul has a full scope of mental and behavioral health care for both service members and dependents, including inpatient psychiatric, but can only accommodate once monthly or bi-monthly visits or in emergency cases to provide stabilization prior to transfer to a CONUS facility.


Are we covered by Tricare when we aren’t near a base here in Busan? A1: Sponsors and dependents should enroll in Tricare Prime Remote prior to transferring to Busan but Chinhae medical can help with the enrollment when the member and/or family members arrive.


How do we get medical coverage when we travel back to the states? A2: Sponsors and family members should maintain their Prime Remote enrollment when traveling. They can continue to contact Tricare call centers for any medical assistance or customer assistance needed as they travel but if members plan to travel for an extended amount of time, Tricare recommends members call the customer assistance and receive education on the enrollment options available. Please visit https://goo.gl/wLgCLO for more information.


Why do we turn in our Medical and Dental records to Chinhae when we will need them for care out in town? Shouldn’t we keep them? A3: Medical and Dental records are kept at the Chinhae clinic because sponsors and dependents are enrolled at Chinhae. Chinhae medical can make copies of the records for dependents to keep and use.


Can I pick up more than one refill of my prescription if I fail to pick it up on time? A4: To help avoid routine prescriptions becoming unavailable due to increased demand, Chinhae medical picks up refills for all patients in Chinhae and Busan every Tuesday from Camp Walker. Patients can also register for “Express Scripts,” https://goo. gl/GqiAMV, and receive prescriptions in the mail. Orders from Express Scripts normally arrive in about three weeks.


Why aren’t more hospitals like Ellium Women’s Hospital and Inje University on the list of approved Hospitals? A5: Tricare is currently reviewing Ellium Women’s Hospital for inclusion to the coverage network. Inje University Hospital was previously a network provider but hospital officials opted to remove themselves due to inactivity from the network in Busan. Many members have express interest in using this hospital and if Inje expresses interest in rejoining the network then Tricare is open to reading them. We list any changes in the Busan Tricare network at https://goo.gl/YkC3bF


How do we know what the Korean Doctors are saying, or what the prescriptions and medical reports we get that are written in Korean say? A6: For on-site translation concerns, Tricare is asking for specific instances and documentation of no provided services each future occurrence so they may investigate the hospital and rectify the problem. Over the phone translation assistance is available 24 hours-a-day, 7 days-a-week by contacting the Regional Call Center at +65 6339 2676 (direct) or toll-free at 080-429-0880.


pets basics If you intend to ship a pet to the Republic of Korea,

contact your local veterinarian to learn about specific shots and additional medical advice including breed restrictions. The export process can involve getting a health certificate, updating vaccinations, completing disease testing, and having your paperwork reviewed and endorsed by U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service. The Republic of Korea requires pets (including military pets/dogs) be current on their rabies vaccine (given at least 30 days prior to arrival in Korea), have an ISO-compliant microchip, receive a rabiesneutralization antibody test (0.5 IU/ml or higher), and be accompanied by a valid health certificate including government endorsement. For the most current information on importing and exporting pets between the U.S. and the Republic of Korea, see the U.S. Department of Agriculture website at https://goo.gl/uLRZ7C The Quarantine Inspection Agency determines if your pet meets all requirements for entry into the Republic of Korea. For official information on quarantine, please see the website at https://goo.gl/mXKNCD

veterinary services The closest U.S. military Veterinary Treatment Facility (VTF) is located at Camp Walker in USAG Daegu, 1.5 hr drive away. The Veterinary Clinic (DSN: 315-764-4858) provides routine and urgent medical care for pets. The clinic also has a stray animal facility that can help you to adopt a healthy pet. The main U.S. military veterinary clinic for the Korean Peninsula is located at USAG Yongsan in Seoul (DSN: 315-737-2450).


The 106th Medical Detachment Veterinary Service Support makes periodic visits to CFAC in Chinhae. Veterinary visits are coordinated through the Medical Clinic. Please visit the 106th Medical Detachment Veterinary Service Support at https://goo.gl/YWYC4a for comprehensive information about Veterinary Services provided in Korea. There are no U.S. military pet boarding kennels available in Busan. This service is available at the USAG Yongsan’s Pet Care Center in Seoul at DSN: 315-736-6426 and the Osan Boarding Kennel on Osan Air Force Base in Osan at DSN: 315784-4314. For more information, please see the Yongsan Pet Care Center website at https://goo.gl/ z4jmab and the Osan Boarding Kennel website at https://goo.gl/qkx1tq

installation pet policy U.S. military installation regulation states that all animals must be on a leash at all times when outdoors. Verbal control is insufficient. It is always the owner’s responsibility to control the animal, not the citizen’s responsibility to avoid the animal. Animal bites will be reported to the nearest Medical Treatment Facility. Animals involved in the bite incident will be required to undergo a 10-day quarantine which may be at home and is at the U.S. military installation veterinarian’s discretion. Animals involved in more than one bite or animals involved in a serious bite incident may be banned from U.S. military installations. It is your responsibility as a pet owner to keep your pet’s vaccinations current and up to date. Pet owners are responsible for picking up and properly disposing of animal wastes no matter where they are on the installation. In the unlikely instance of an actual NEO, we will make reasonable efforts to evacuate pets of service members but pets are likely to be separated from their families during an evacuation. Only two pets per household are authorized transport in the event of a NEO. Pets are registered and tracked by the NEO Tracking System and unaccompanied pet owners need to have a pet care plan.

traveling with pets Importing pets The cost of transporting a pet to your new duty station is the owner’s responsibility. Pets must be flown to Korea via commercial airline. AMC flights cannot transport pets into Korea. There are restrictions on pet travel into Korea from May through September, due to extreme temperature. Remember for international flights, you need an International Pet Carrier that is the appropriate size for your pet. Ask your airline for exceptions to the policy.

exporting pets To leave the Republic of Korea, by Korean law, all dogs and cats must have proof of a rabies vaccination within the last year (not sooner than 30 days), a U.S. health certificate (from your military veterinarian) issued within 10 days of departure and a Korean health certificate, preferably on the day of departure. The Korean health certificate may be obtained up to three days prior to departure and is issued by a Korean veterinarian. For the most current information on returning with your pet, please see the U.S. Department of State website on Pets and International Travel at https://goo.gl/EFu4pG or the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website on bringing a pet to the U.S. https://goo.gl/F4SCBV or the U.S. Department of Agriculture website at https://goo.gl/uLRZ7C Currently, the Air Mobility Command Passenger Terminal at Osan is authorized to ship pets on outbound movements for those in PCS status only. For the most current information, please see the USFK website at https://goo.gl/y47GWV and the AMC Pet Brochure at https://goo.gl/ZcKzF4

Show a food and water schedule and, if any food is necessary, include an ample supply in a bag attached to the outside of the kennel

Contain no more than one adult dog (or puppy between eight weeks and six months old that weighs more than 20 lbs.) or one cat per kennel. (Two puppies or kittens that are between the ages of eight weeks and six months old and under 20 lbs. Each may share the same kennel if they are personal pets of comparable size and are socially compatible with one another)

• A general rule of thumb is that your pet must be able to stand comfortably in the kennel and be able to turn around while standing in the kennel •

Contain absorbent material or bedding, such as newspaper

Display labels on top and on at least one side with the words LIVE ANIMALS printed in 1-inch-high letters

When your pet travels, the kennel should: •

Clearly display your name and address

Use arrows or other marking to indicate the top of the kennel

Include food and water dishes (both empty), which are secured inside the kennel and accessible from outside


regulations The purpose of curfew and off-limit areas is to ensure continued mission readiness and to assess the current operational environment. All USFK forces have a curfew between the hours of 0100 - 0500 Monday through Sunday, including U.S. holidays.

usfk regulation 190-2 The areas and establishments listed below have been declared off-limits for safety, health, or operational considerations for all personnel subject to this regulation, except as noted. Additional off-limits areas will be determined by Area Commanders. a. All tattoo parlors and body piercing shops. b. All houses of prostitution. A house of prostitution is defined as any building or structure where prostitution or the promotion of prostitution (engaging in any sexual activity with another person for a fee) is regularly carried on by one or more persons under the control, management, or supervision of another. c. The ROK public streets, roads, and highways during the hours of curfew. Travel during curfew hours is permitted, in emergencies or when performing official duties. For further information on these regulations and policies, or any other USFK regulation please visit the USFK website https://goo.gl/O9EB1C and click on the publications link.

Noncombatant Evacuation Operation (NEO) Due to the precarious nature of relations between North and South Korea, U.S. citizens residing here must be prepared to evacuate on short notice during a crisis. The USFK holds a readiness drill twice a year known as Courageous Channel or NEO (Noncombatant Evacuation Operation). Participation is mandatory for all military dependents and strongly encouraged for other U.S. citizens. Each unit has a military member, the NEO warden, who will contact you before each exercise to make sure your NEO packet (documents and emergency supplies) is in order.

CNFK Off Limits Area The area known as “Texas Street� in Busan is off-limits to all Navy personnel from the hours of 1700 - 0100. The Texas Street area is a popular tourist/liberty area and there are good, legitimate business there - especially tourist shopping -but research proved Sailors and families were at risk in the late evening, So we tailored the off-limits hours to accomdate any shopping desired so the 1700 cut off; at 0100, the peninsula-wide curfew goes into effect.


resources medical

Phone books

USFK resources: https://goo.gl/y47GWV

Better Health Care Clinic (Chinhae): https://goo.gl/7bJSCQ

Seoul: https://goo.gl/IqvCIv

Mobile Phone Resources: SK Telecom - https://goo.gl/liyFIQ KT Olleh - https://goo.gl/YLHpPZ LG U+ - https://goo.gl/XNaFHa

Home prescription delivery info: https://goo.gl/ ApVNI4 & https://goo.gl/GqiAMV

Helpful links


Army medical facility info: https://goo.gl/fyHorr & https://goo.gl/7KY0QR

Non-DoD Schools Program (NDSP): https://goo.gl/NIOXMN

Busan: https://goo.gl/mlrxVR Base & Resources: https://goo.gl/DHIZzj

TRICARE Overseas Prime Remote: https://goo. gl/Il5AMy

Busan Foreign International School (BIFS): https://goo.gl/FViJHs

Seoul: https://goo.gl/QTiLPm Base & Resources: https://goo.gl/vFzegl & https://goo.gl/4O9g7v

TRICARE approved medical/dental provider search: https://goo.gl/YkC3bF

Busan Foreign School (BFS): https://goo.gl/ztYqkf

MetLife/TRICARE dental program: https://goo.gl/CwE8nQ

C. T. Joy Elementary School (Chinhae): https://goo.gl/LXYdHT & https://goo.gl/RabXY8

hospitals (For busan)

DoDDS schools (Deagu): ES - https://goo.gl/yT7a32 HS - https://goo.gl/qIwI8W

City info

Chinhae: https://goo.gl/PWrdUT & https://goo.gl/xSm5M9 Base & Resources: https://goo.gl/RILfKV Pyeongtaek: https://goo.gl/f9TwFf & https://goo.gl/fWPDtc Base & Resources: https://goo.gl/GsaA27 & https://goo.gl/oSNbbv


Busan St. Mary’s Hospital (Sung Mo): https://goo.gl/CziNFy Pusan Nat. University Hospital International Health Center: https://goo.gl/A82xDT

Guide to Safe Driving in Korea https://goo.gl/nZ9d4w

Dong-Eui Medical Center International Medical Center: https://goo.gl/dMF1P8

Information about shipping your POV: https:// goo.gl/Ozb4ti

Ilsin Christian Hospital: https://goo.gl/CtR1LL

Information on Vehicle Registration: https://goo. gl/XpZC6W & https://goo.gl/XkrtxC

Yongsan: https://goo.gl/wus9BB


Chinhae: https://goo.gl/NPNVG3

For KTX Tickets, visit: https://goo.gl/tpk1lr

Housing To see what a typical Korean apartment in Busan looks like, check out the video at https://goo.gl/d8mmKy Information for Busan and Chinhae: https:// goo.gl/Nnb05x & https://goo.gl/TvxfSa


Camp Humphreys: https://goo.gl/LlK4NJ

Pets Information on importing and exporting pets between the U.S. and ROK: https://goo.gl/uLRZ7C

Information for Seoul: https://goo.gl/L3fyPu

U.S. Department of State website on Pets and International Travel: https://goo.gl/yfk2hc

For info on weight allowance, visit: https://goo. gl/Gd7ny5

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: https://goo.gl/Nb4BQ6


Information on quarantine: https://goo.gl/mXKNCD

Busan: https://goo.gl/GxhPBf Seoul: https://goo.gl/T65vBc Pyeongtaek: https://goo.gl/NQc4ol


Chinhae: https://goo.gl/5D0XM0 Pyeongtaek: https://goo.gl/46kypq

Chinhae: https://goo.gl/TXGsis

Camp Walker Veterenary Treatment Facility (Daegu): https://goo.gl/hzO6SD Yongsan Main Veterenary Clinic (Seoul): https://goo.gl/nVOG0q

Additional resources (from USAG Daegu): https://goo.gl/uaHHxT DoDEA Schools in Seoul: ES - https://goo.gl/xK1Txb MS - https://goo.gl/FMKNM2 HS - https://goo.gl/BQf17A DoDEA Schools in Pyeongtaek: ES - https://goo.gl/8uVmn3 HS - https://goo.gl/hdiVOU

homeschool resources DoDEA Virtual School Program: https://goo.gl/KdYW7d National Home Education Research Institute: https://goo.gl/YFsq1f United States Distance Learning Association: https://goo.gl/pFQ8iY Home School Legal Defense Association: https://goo.gl/VP7JP5

Helpful numbers

For allowance or financial questions, please

ROK COMM: 051-867-5101

CFAC Commissary DSN: 315-762-5327

contact the CFAC Command Services

Ilsin Christian Hospital:

Department at DSN: 315-762-5203

U.S. COMM: 011-82-51-630-0678

Daegu Commissary DSN: 315-764-4551

ROK COMM: 051-630-0678


Busan help

For Household goods arrangements:


DSN: 315-753-6768

Inbound DSN: 315-768-6794

Camp Walker Veterinary Treatment Facility

U.S. COMM: 011-82-31-690-6768

Outbound DSN: 315-768-6791

(Daegu) DSN: 315-764-4858

Busan Translation Sevices (Busan City Govern-


Yongsan Main Veterinary Clinic (Seoul) DSN:

ment): 1577-7716

Better Health Care Clinic (Chinhae):


U.S COMM.: 011-82-055-540-5415 Pier 8 (Military Sealift Command) Post office

ROK COMM: 055-540-5415

pyeongtaek help

U.S. military Korean peninsula appointment line:

CFAC Support & Training Center DSN:


315-762-5385 Outbound DSN: 315-768-7919/7348

DSN: 315-753-6768 U.S. COMM: 011-82-31690-6768

schooling Distance learning program info:

DSN: 315-763-3113

International SOS representative: ROK COMM: 080-429-0880


Seoul Tricare office DSN: 315-737-1433

Busan Storage Center (BSC) DSN: 315-763-7779

Chinhae Tricare office DSN: 315-762-5415

Transportation Office on CFAC (Chinhae): DSN:

Bodine Dental Clinic (Daegu) DSN:



Vehicle Registration Office (BSC) DSN:

Camp Carroll Dental Clinic (Daegu) DSN:



Vehicle Processing Center (Daegu) DSN:

Camp Walker Optometry Clinic (Daegu) DSN:



Car Care Center (Daegu) DSN: 315-768-8164

Yongsan Optometry Clinic (Seoul) DSN: 315-737-1464

Car Care Center (Seoul) DSN: 315-724-6037 Military & Family Life Counseling (MFLC)


Program counselors:


ROK COMM: 010-8693-5146 & 010-4965-0644

Appointments for in-processing or any housing issues: DSN: 738-4096

hospitals (For busan) Busan St. Mary’s Hospital (Sung Mo):

Housing travel status or availability of family

U.S. COMM: 011-82-51-933-7061

housing DSN:

ROK COMM: 051-933-7061

738-3211 Pusan Nat. University Hospital International

busan & Chinhae

Health Center:

CFAC Housing Office DSN: 315-762-5454

U.S. COMM: 011-82-51-240-7472

ROK COMM: 050-3362-5454 / 055-540-5454

ROK COMM: 051-240-7472

U.S. COMM: 011-82-10-3572-8684 Dong-Eui International Medical Center: U.S. COMM: 011-82-51-867-5101


United S t at e s of America

Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.