Page 1

 ILEP’s role in the REX programme is to represent the Ministry of Education. Its role is also to ensure your exchange is running smoothly and to provide support to both you and to the host school. ILEP has staff who are experienced in dealing with cross-cultural issues and relationships and are ready and able to assist you with any matters you are not sure about.


J ul y

2 013

Information notes


Your Host School Your Host School for the period of August 2013 to March 2015 is Opihi College, Richard Pearse Drive, Temuka, New Zealand. Phone: +64 3 615 7442. Website: Opihi College is an innovative, co-educational Year 7 to 13 school situated in Temuka, Aoraki, South Canterbury. The literal translation of the name 'Opihi' - to spring forth, is symbolic of the many developments within the school. At the start of 2005, Temuka High School became Opihi College as a result of a review of schooling in this district. The school provides a positive learning environment in which all students can achieve success with respect for themselves and others. Opihi College is an ideal size in that it is big enough to offer a wide range of learning opportunities, yet small enough for students to be known by staff and their needs quickly recognised. A family atmosphere and a safe, supportive environment encourage students to engage in their learning and to perform to their potential. School day starts with a staff meeting at 8:15 am. A homeroom class called a “Tutor” class starts at 8:30 am. Period 1 starts at

8:55 am. School has 5 periods per day with a 20-minute “morning tea” break in the morning at 10:55 am and a lunch break at 1:20 pm. School finishes at 3:10 pm. There is an all-school assembly on Monday morning after a short tutor time. A staff meeting is held after school every Wednesday. The school has been asked to assist you in personal matters such as banking, settling you in to your accommodation, showing you around your new surroundings, where to go shopping, how to buy a car etc. The host teacher of Japanese will orientate you and look after your co-curricular programme (that is, activities outside formal teaching time). The teacher of Japanese: Mr. Eric Lindblom The Principal: Mr. Michael Thomas Wright

The Role of the REX Teacher Is mainly to assist with the teaching of Japanese, but you will not be expected to take up all the responsibilities of a New Zealand teacher. You may have the opportunity to assist in classes other than those of Japanese language, e.g. Social Studies or Geography. Whatever your personal skills and talents, the host school will want to give you opportunities to use these as is appropriate. You will have opportunities to get involved not only in the professional side of the school but in the co-curricular and social activities. You should come prepared to talk about your hobbies. Whilst it is acknowledged that REX teachers are keen to improve their English, the expectation is that when in the classroom you will speak in Japanese wherever possible with both teachers and students. REX teachers must make every effort to use the target language in the classroom for the constant reinforcement.

Money Matters


Before you leave Japan you should make arrangements with your bank for the transfer of your salary.

Annual leave and sick leave You will be entitled to sick leave and the usual annual leave and statutory holidays awarded to teachers in New Zealand. Your school will explain this fully when you arrive.

You will need to open a bank ble 24 hours, seven days a account as soon as you arrive week. ATM cards can be in Temuka into which to pay used to pay for most goods your salary. You should also and services electronically make arrangements to have a via a method called eftpos Visa card so that you can To use eftpos you need an access money easily on arri- activated ATM card with val in New ZeaPIN number. land and during To open a bank your stay here. N.B.: On arrival, it account you will New Zea- may be necessary for need landers tend to you to be able to pay for  A passport access their accommodation several  A residencash through weeks in advance. tial address in ATM machines. New Zealand Internet banking is widely used and banks promote this through their ‘Online Saver’ accounts. Banks are usually open from 9 am to 4.30 pm Monday to Friday. ATMs (Automatic Teller Machines) are availa-

You will need a Specific Purpose Work Visa (reference: WS2 Specific Purpose or Events) before you arrive in New Zealand. The visa application form can be downloaded from this website: (Work Visa/ Permit application, number 1015 and Work Visa/Permit Guide, number 1016). It is important that you state on the application that you are applying under the Specific Purpose. You will need to send the completed work visa application form to The New Zealand Embassy: 20-40 Kamiyama-cho, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo 150-0047, Visa Section. Tel: 03 3467 2270

Accommodation Please be sure that you advise us if you are bringing family members with you and also what your accommodation preferences are so that appropriate temporary accommodation can be arranged before you arrive. Your host school is responsible to ensure some form of temporary accommodation is arranged for when you arrive. Once you have arrived, they will then assist you in finding more permanent accommodation of your choice.

Rental Accommodation (for the period of your exchange) Generally the most effective way to find rental accommodation is through the following website: Rental accommodation is also listed in the main newspapers on Wednesday and Saturday editions. Many real estate companies also list on their websites.

Tenancy Landlords must provide a written Tenancy Agreement which sets out the particular conditions that have been agreed to. Both landlord and tenant sign it and the tenant must be given a copy before the tenancy begins. There are two types of tenancy: 

Periodic tenancy – this is not for a specific term and is the most common form of tenancy. It continues until the landlord or tenant give the appropriate notice to end it.  Fixed-term tenancy – this finishes on a specific date set down in the written tenancy agreement. There is no provision for either the landlord or the tenant to give notice to end the tenancy during the term Please note - it is not recommended that you enter into a fixed-term tenancy for the entire period of your exchange as you may wish to change your accommodation after a period of time.

Bond/deposit A bond is money that a landlord can ask a tenant to pay as a security that the tenant will comply with all obligations as a tenant. A bond can be up to 4 weeks rent. The bond money is held in case rent is not paid or the property is damaged or the tenant fails to comply with obligations. The landlord must give a receipt stating how much has been paid, who paid it and what the payment is for. (e.g. rent and/or bond). Tenancy agreement forms and bond lodgement forms are available online from the ‘Department of Building and Housing’ website: The ‘Ministry of Housing’ has A new tenant’s checklist that can be downloaded from their website:

What happens to the bond? The money must be paid to the Bond Processing Centre of Tenancy Services (Free phone 0800 737 666) by the landlord within 15 working days (3 weeks) of receiving it. When the tenant moves out, all the bond money will be paid back to the tenant/s if the rent is paid up to date and there is no damage or other claim. If there is rent owing, or damage, the landlord may get some or all of the bond money.

Accommodation Allowance An accommodation grant of up to $25,800 (inclusive GST) is provided by ILEP for the 20 month exchange period. This grant will be paid out by automatic monthly transfers into your bank account.

Settling-in Allowance A settling-in allowance of $5,000 (inclusive of GST) will be provided by ILEP to help cover the initial settling-in costs. This allowance will be paid into your bank account shortly after arriving on provision of receipts for items/costs purchased in New Zealand.

International Travel ILEP meets the cost of your return international air travel between Japan and New Zealand. ILEP is only able to cover the cost of Economy air travel. For travel from Japan to New Zealand: to be reimbursed, you will need to provide ILEP with a receipt for cost of air travel as well as a copy of flight ticket. Please forward this information to us shortly after your arrival in New Zealand along with a stamped bank confirmation advising of your bank account details. For return travel from New Zealand to Japan, confirm to ILEP the date of your travel back to Japan and we will make the booking on your behalf.

Insurance We recommend you obtain health insurance to cover your stay in New Zealand. We also recommend that you take out insurance to cover your accommodation and possessions against loss or damage during your time in New Zealand. Most New Zealanders have such insurance. N.B.: In the event of an expensive electronic goods item being stolen, it is important that you have retained evidence of purchase (i.e. warranty or receipts) to be able to claim back from insurance.

Health Visiting a doctor Doctors operate as private practitioners in New Zealand and you can choose the doctor or medical centre that you prefer (i.e. you do not have to go to the doctor in the suburb where you live or work). A visit to the doctor costs from between $55 to $75. This varies depending on your doctor. If your doctor considers blood or laboratory tests are required you may be referred to a medical laboratory. The local doctor (General Practitioner, or GP) is the important first contact for New Zealanders. It is strongly recommended that you decide which GP practice you want to use and to register with them before you get sick. If necessary, your GP may refer you to a specialist doctor for further assessment and diagnosis. Accidents You are covered by the Accident Compensation Act during your stay in New Zealand and your coverage is exactly the same as for New Zealanders. This provides for a proportion of payment of medical bills in case of injury as a result of accidents whether work related or not. If you are unable to work and have used up all your sick leave you may also receive a proportion of your normal salary. Further information about this cover is available on There is no authority for ACC to pay for treatment or rehabilitation you receive overseas once you return home. Dentists and Opticians Dental treatment and opticians services are not subsidised by the state and are therefore expensive. Make sure your dental treatment is up-to-date before you arrive. Please note: Do take your passport as well as the ILEP letter confirming you are participating in the REX Exchange programme with you if you need to access health services. Do dial 111 in any real emergency and do not worry about the details until later!

What teaching materials to bring Schools generally have a good collection of Japanese grammar and cultural introduction books but you should definitely get in touch with your host school and ask if there are any resources they would like to have. There will be an opportunity to demonstrate any special abilities you have such as calligraphy, music, martial arts or sport. You may wish to bring any specialized resources or equipment to enable you to do this.

Travel Purchasing a car is much easier and cheaper than in Japan and in many areas it is considered essential because of the limited nature of public transport.

Police Clearance Certificate The New Zealand Teachers Council requires that all exchange teachers provide a recent police check clearance certificate that is less than 5 months old at the time of commencing your appointment.

N.B.: On arrival, it may be necessary for you to be able to pay for accommodation several weeks in advance.

Air travel The main airlines offering domestic air services are Air New Zealand, and Jetstar. Flights, especially between the main centres are frequent. Special low-priced tickets are available, although seats are limited and you will need to book early (up to 10 weeks at peak travel times) to take advantage of the cheap seats. You should also check out ‘grabaseat’ that has various heavily discounted air travel. Alternatively keep a look out for the advertised special prices that the main airlines offer at different times of the year on domestic travel. Bookings can be made online (you will need a credit card) and the websites are as follows:   Sea, train and bus travel. For crossing the Cook Strait by ferry (from Wellington to Picton) refer to

most of NZ and provides for a more scenic and economical travelling experience. See: If you plan to do extensive bus travel throughout NZ then the following two sites will be helpful and Suburban bus transport Bus fares normally start at $2.00 per zone and increase with the number of zones you travel. You can also purchase concession cards and monthly bus passes. Your host school will be able provide you with further details of the local public transport services. Cycling Many cities have now installed cycle lanes around city routes. It is compulsory to wear a cycle helmet.

The KiwiRail Scenic railroad network covers

Climate New Zealand’s climate is temperate with a sunshine average of about 2,000 hours annually. Rainfall is spread evenly throughout the year, and for most of the country ranges between 65 and 155 cm annually. The country has a typical island climate with no major seasonal temperate variations but the weather can be unpredictable. Summer maximum temperatures are usually in the range of 25-30 C., while in winter frosts are common, except in areas north of Auckland. In general, the further south one goes the more severe the winter, but snow is uncommon except in mountain areas. The seasons are as follows: Spring: September to November Summer: December to February Autumn: March to May Winter: June to August The following website provides frequent updated weather forecasts

Clothing You will need warm clothing such as thermos/woollens and warm shoes or boots for the winter, as well as light clothing and shoes for the summer. Rainwear is essential.

THE LEARNING AND TEACHING OF JAPANESE IN NEW ZEALAND SECONDARY SCHOOLS Trends and Developments and Key Documents International Languages are a separate learning area in the new NZ Curriculum Framework and schools are expected to make every effort to offer students in Years 7-10 the opportunity to learn another language. New Zealand schools have a great deal of autonomy and because of this, you will find that the conditions under which Japanese is taught, vary from one school to the next. For more detailed information, visit the TKI website: The number of students studying a language in New Zealand is still relatively low. One major difference between the New Zealand and Japanese education systems is that subject choice is largely optional. Languages are optional at all levels. This has wide implications on both pedagogy and student numbers. When subjects are not compulsory teachers have to work especially hard to attract and keep their students from year to year. You are likely to see a range of teaching styles from more formal, grammar based to student-centred task-based involving a lot of group and pair work. The New Zealand Curriculum (2007) is the overarching document governing the teaching of all subjects: Its front section covers generic elements of educating young New Zealanders, such as Vision, Principles, Values, Key Competencies, Learning Areas, Effective Pedagogy and The School Curriculum. Each school is responsible for creating its own curriculum, incorporating relevant aspects of the NZC, to correspond to the needs of the particular learning community. The back section contains the curriculum for each subject area. In addition to this there is the Learning Languages Poster which incorporates the generic languages curriculum, Principles of effective language acquisition, The Learning Languages Area statement and a schematic overview of the elements of language teaching/ learning.

The New Zealand Education System Secondary education in New Zealand begins in year 9 (average age 13 years). This can be confusing for a foreigner, who could be excused for thinking that year 7 would be the first year of secondary school. Secondary education is compulsory until age 16 (usually years 11/12) and optional there on. There have been major changes in our assessment system over the last 10 years and the NCEA (National Certificate of Educational Achievement) is the new set of national qualifications for senior secondary students in Years 11,12 (average age 16 years) and 13 (average age 17 years). There is both external and internal assessment of achievement standards and students gain credits towards the NCEA, more than half of which are assessed internally within the school. Most Year 11 students will aim at NCEA Level 1, Year 12 at Level 2 and Year 13 at Level 3.

The Generic Languages Curriculum The core strand in the new languages curriculum is Communication at all levels. The supporting strands are language knowledge and cultural knowledge. Cultural knowledge is no longer seen as a set of static facts but rather a focus on dynamic aspects of culture, such as values and attitudes. How culture is reflected in language is an important consideration. Instead of focusing predominantly on language knowledge and mastery, there has been a shift towards valuing and understanding cultural differences. This is reflected as much in behaviour as in language. Now it is no longer sufficient to have a knowledge of the language but rather an appreciation of how to use this language appropriately in a variety of contexts. Through a study of Japanese language and culture, students are encouraged to reflect on their own cultural identity and to realise that their habits and beliefs represent only one way of viewing the world rather than being the norm against which to judge other cultures.

In addition to the traditional four skills of listening, reading speaking and writing the NZC language curriculum introduces the new categories of Viewing and Presenting/Performing. There is an increased emphasis on interacting and negotiating meaning. The Learning Languages Wall Chart contains 10 Principles of effective second language acquisition. These principles underpin current best pedagogical practice for language teachers in New Zealand. The principles highlight the need for students to          

develop a rich repertoire of formulaic expressions as well as a rule-based competence focus predominantly on meaning focus also on form develop implicit as well as explicit knowledge take account of individuals’ ‘in-built syllabus’ have extensive L2 input have opportunities for L2 output have opportunities to interact take account of individual differences be examined in both free and controlled production

The generic languages curriculum is arranged in four pairs of levels (1&2, 3&4, which correspond to years 7 – 10 and 5 & 6, Year 11 and 7 & 8, Years 12 & 13. This is only a guideline, reflecting practice in most schools. Each level has a proficiency descriptor which determines what students should be able to do. Assessments reflect these descriptors 

Level 1 & 2: Students can understand and use familiar expressions and everyday vocabulary. Students can interact in a simple way in supported situations

Level 3 & 4: Students can understand and construct simple texts using their knowledge of the target language. Students can describe aspects of their own background and immediate environment

Level 5 & 6: Students can understand and produce more complex language. They can communicate beyond the immediate context, for example, past and future events. Students can understand and produce a variety of text types

Level 7 & 8: Students can use language variably and effectively to express and justify their own ideas and opinions, and support or challenge those of others. They are able to use and identify the linguistic and cultural forms that guide interpretation and enable them to respond critically to texts

Language Assessment The evaluation of language competency is currently in a transition phase with gradual implementation of the generic NZC (2007) replacing the old, individual, language-specific curriculum documents. In its first year of implementation (2010), programmes from Year 1 – 10 were aligned to it, while Years 11-13 maintained the old structure. During this time subject associations have been working with NZQA (responsible for national assessment) to revise assessment standards to reflect the new NZ Curriculum. In 2011, Year 11 were assessed against these revised standards while Years 12 & 13 maintained the old structure. The new system will not be fully operational until 2013 when it will be extended to Year 13 (i.e. the 2011 cohort of Year 11 students was the first to be assessed according to the revised standards). The vocabulary and structures lists which must be adhered to by the examiners for external assessment can be found by selecting languages, then the appropriate level (Japanese Level 1, 2 and 3) on

In the re-aligned achievement standards there will be 5 assessment types worth a total of 24 credits at each level. Schools are encouraged to offer no more than 20 credits at each level. Schools and students choose which achievement standards they will undertake. In Year 11 students generally sit NCEA Level 1, In Year 12 Level 2 and in Year 13 Level 3. The standards are very similar at each level and are as follows: .1 .2 .3 .4 .5

Listen and Respond Speak, present Interact View and Respond Write

External 5 credits Internal 4 credits Internal 5 credits External 5 credits Internal 5 credits

Since 2011 students undertaking the .3 (interact) and .5 (write) standards will be required to keep portfolios of work from which they will offer a selection for final assessment. This is designed partly to develop students’ self-management and judgement skills. REX teachers are likely to be particularly valuable to teachers and students preparing the .3 standard, as their interactions with students can be stored as digitally recorded evidence.

Teaching Techniques and Resources There has been a widespread change of approach in the teaching of Japanese in New Zealand schools, largely as a result of curriculum changes. A communicative approach is used extensively in recognition of the satisfaction pupils experience at being able to use the Japanese they are learning for its intended purpose, that of communication. Task-based methodology is particularly well suited to developing oral proficiency. There is an increasing emphasis on using audio-visual and computer aids in Japanese teaching; particularly data projectors, interactive white boards and web based resources. This corresponds to a decrease in reliance on text books.

Support for Japanese Language Teaching The Japan Information and Cultural Centre in Wellington actively supports the teaching of Japanese language and culture in this country. The Centre administers the courses and study tours made available from the Japan Foundation for teachers of Japanese. Website: A Japanese National Language Adviser is employed by ILEP and based in Wellington. The current adviser is Tomoko Semba, email The adviser’s role is to promote high quality Japanese teaching in New Zealand schools. It is recommended that Japanese exchange teachers join the NZJALT membership i.e. as well as the email network:

Roles of main education organisations 

Ministry of Education determines the curriculum for learning and teaching in NZ schools.

New Zealand Qualifications Authority sets and monitors the requirements for all qualifications within the NZ system. This also includes determining the equivalence of overseas qualifications in relation to NZ-based qualifications.

Teachers’ Council sets and monitors the requirements (professional standards) for entry into teaching in NZ.

A Few Hints on Life in New Zealand The following comments are tendencies in New Zealand that other foreigners have observed about New Zealand and its people. You may not come across these things at all, but if you do it can be helpful to know in advance. Life in New Zealand can be quite different from that in Japan. One of the greatest differences for Japanese teachers coming here is the Kiwi “relaxed” attitude in many situations where Japanese people would be formally prepared in advance. Kiwis are used to improvising. This approach can be very confusing for Japanese people at first. Once you adjust, however, you may well begin to enjoy it very much. You may find that the instructions given to you at your host school are not as precise as you would like and you may feel you are not told what is expected of you or how to do things. Do not hesitate to ask the questions you need to if this happens and then to do your best with whatever information you have. This is very acceptable and normal behaviour in New Zealand. You may find that you are sometimes left alone in a way in which you would not be left alone in Japan. This may be because there are less people around in general but it is also part of the Kiwi way of respecting your privacy and it can be the way New Zealanders tend to operate amongst themselves. The right of the individual person to be him or herself as a unique individual is a basic value in the minds of Kiwis and is more important to them than group values and changing oneself for the sake of the group one is in. This affects how people relate to each other in New Zealand. New Zealanders have individual and different ways of doing things. Many are innovative. This may mean that teachers within a school will have different methods and approaches, and different schools will have different approaches. There can be tremendous variety from one school to the next. We view this as a good thing. Schools in New Zealand are busy places and teachers have many responsibilities outside their teaching duties. If the other teachers at your school seem very busy at school or after school this is probably why. It is not because they are not interested in you.

Helpful Hints for Japanese Exchange Teachers How to adapt to the New Zealand lifestyle and culture 

Be positive, easy-going, flexible, adaptable, creative and calm – and above all keep your sense of humour!

Be open-minded and ready to talk about yourself and family.

Classroom control is often a challenge for REX teachers. It is important to observe teachers (other than resident teacher of Japanese) on how they control the class and the appropriate terminology.

Make good use of your private time after working hours. Get involved in other activities and join courses/clubs (cultural/ sports) that interest you.

Try to spend as much time with the local people as possible to broaden your personal network. Take part in personal activities e.g. with a family or with another person. Do not wait for a big group activity to be organised.

 

REX teachers should always make an effort to spend time in the school staffroom during tea and lunch breaks. Use this time as much as possible to talk to other teachers in the school. Your relationship with a wide range of teachers is also important. Be involved in school activities other than the Japanese class.

Invite people to your home for dinner e.g. school staff, other exchange teachers.

Participate in the Japanese teachers’ association in your area.

Observe and do in New Zealand as the New Zealanders do.

If you accumulate a lot of books and other personal belongings whilst on exchange then you need to be aware that it can be very expensive to ship back to Japan.

How to Prepare for the Exchange before Leaving Japan 

Contact as many teachers as possible who have taught Japanese in New Zealand.

Read textbooks and related materials about teaching Japanese, to acquire knowledge and methodology on teaching Japanese as a foreign language.

Contact the host school and ask for a list of Japanese resources that are kept in resource room.

Be prepared to explain often in English about Japanese culture.

Bring with you:              

plenty of stickers for reward comics magazines suitable for teenagers digital photos of family, shops, markets, restaurant food video (homemade) record yourself on video in everyday situations e.g. grocery shopping, at work, at home, festivals, fish market etc. music that can be used in your classroom reward stamps in own language play money, stamps, coins, erasers, lollies, Japanese chewing gum animated movies but should have English subtitles (N.B. need to select animated videos carefully for violence and sexual content.) a good supply of any medication that you use regularly. some warm clothes as climate is much cooler than in Japan.

  

Recommended that you read the “Lonely Planet” guide before coming to NZ You should send any excess luggage to New Zealand by sea mail but allow approximately 6 weeks to arrive. If you are able to provide evidence of not having had a car accident in Japan then you will get a reduced premium on your car insurance in New Zealand.

New Zealand Schools: what are they like to work in 

The New Zealand classroom is not serious like in Japan and it is important to try to enjoy the class with the students.

In classrooms it helps to remember names by making a seating plan (and with photos if possible).

New Zealand students are quite active, responsive and demanding in classes. They make a lot more noise and are encouraged to be responsive. The way they speak to teachers or debate with you may be embarrassing, however, this should not be taken as an offence. New Zealand students ask all their questions in class and unlike Japan they are not usually encouraged to see the teacher after the class.

Be prepared to be interrupted by students.

New Zealand schools are less formally organised and Japanese teachers should expect to do extra activities that are not part of their contract. Although any extra activity should be considered voluntary.

Use activities to drive home grammar points rather than drills. Activities play an important role in the NZ class. Do not emphasize grammar. Students never expect you to give a lecture.

Need to be very flexible and aware that everything is adjustable e.g. students questions that can change the direction of topic.

Homework - check with your host teacher as to what is a realistic.

The teaching style is student-centred, communication-centred style.

Do not expect all New Zealand teachers of Japanese to have a good knowledge about Japanese language. Do not correct every mistake they make with Japanese but you should encourage them to speak as much Japanese as possible.

New Zealand students are not as hard working as Japanese students. Do not expect the students to prepare or review their Japanese classes by themselves.

Be aware that you will often need to cope with students from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures.

Whilst New Zealand teachers tend to have many classes and are therefore very busy, schools are probably more relaxed that Japanese schools.

Maintaining a Good Working Relationship with your Host Teacher and School          

Define each others roles if team teaching - i.e. expectations and responsibilities. Try and get along with them sincerely and honestly. Ask questions about anything you are not clear about. It is important to express what you want to know (i.e. be assertive). Be flexible and accepting of different teaching styles, even if you don’t agree with it. Discuss classes with your host teacher as much as possible and don’t be afraid to suggest ideas. If not all the information you require is provided, then it is important to take the initiative to ask for it e.g. calendar of events, list of students studying Japanese etc. Be open and flexible but be assertive and clear about what you can/cannot do. Some useful expressions are: “I do not feel comfortable/confident about” It is important to do something else besides teaching Japanese in the school, and this will help you integrate into the ‘culture’ of the school. Try and use Japanese in the classroom as much as possible at the same time being sensitive to the classroom teacher’s level of Japanese.

Activities that Really Work         

Subculture comics – especially with boys (bring as resource material) Useful socio-cultural activities: rice balls, calligraphy, origami, animated movies, comic books, Japanese chess club Comparing words that sound similar but have different meanings Explain difficulties that Japanese have with English pronunciation e.g. l,r,b,v,f,th and compare Puzzles, crosswords Short listening passages Pictionary Flash cards Warm-up activities using the computer

Benefits Gained by Japanese Teachers from Participating in the scheme     

Understanding of life, customs and education system in New Zealand. Teaching experience as an assistant teacher. Reconsidering Japanese language and culture. To be able to compare the two countries’ education system - the advantages and disadvantages. A great opportunity to improve your proficiency in English.

Dos & Don’ts for Japanese Exchange Teachers DO                    

be yourself be aware that you represent your country in eyes of students talk about yourself, family, town or city, likes and dislikes, etc. speak target language as much as possible with the students and teachers use humour speak slowly and clearly say things in more than one way, especially for questions check regularly for understanding (fidgeting, whispering?) always keep in mind what level the students are working at and try to speak at that level (check with teacher) brainstorm useful language with students before starting activities smile (N.B. In all-boys schools you may risk losing respect if you smile in front of class) be clear and firm with instructions use gesture to help students understand meaning offer help, ideas on what you can contribute take problems to teacher remember that language learning is optional remain neutral in staffroom politics explain how things are in your country and invite comparison get involved in extra-curricular activities be generous with praise

Dos & Don’ts for Japanese Exchange Teachers DON’T          

judge students/teachers by their level of language correct a teacher in front on the students take responsibility for discipline teach the class alone (unless you are happy to) be generally critical of NZ – very sensitive use loads of grammatical terms sit on desks in a classroom – culturally insensitive touch children (especially Maori & Polynesian) on the head – “tapu” use sarcasm be too serious

Finding Your Way Around the New Zealand Education System Contributing schools Primary schools with classes from Year 1-6. (Few of these teach languages.)

Full primary schools Primary schools, Years 1-8.

Intermediate Schools Year 7 and 8 only. Usually found in larger towns and cities. They are a sort of transition zone from primary to secondary education.

Restricted composite or middle schools Years 7-10. There are only a handful in the country.

Composite and area schools Years 1-13. Combined primary and secondary. Area schools are usually found in rural areas; composite schools are often private schools with a religious base.

Secondary Schools Usually Years 9-13. Years 7-13 schools with an attached intermediate section are becoming more common.

Wharekura / Kura Kaupapa Maori immersion schools.

The Correspondence School Years 1-13. Provides distance education for those unable to access education in the usual way. Very important provider of secondary languages education.

Who’s who and what’s what in the New Zealand Education System National Agencies and Organisations ILEP MoE or “the Ministry” TKI








International Languages Exchanges and Pathways Contracted by Ministry of Education to run language advisory services Ministry of Education Te Kete Ipurangi The Ministry of Education’s website for New Zealand teachers New Zealand Qualifications Authority Responsible for all state qualifications and assessments, including national exams and the NCEA (see below) Education Review Office Inspects schools and publishes reports on them Post-Primary Teachers’ Association The secondary teachers’ union New Zealand Educational Institute Primary teachers’ union School Trustees’ Association National group representing the interests of Boards of Trustees New Zealand Teachers Council. Responsible for registering teachers and renewing practising certificates. School Support Services – based in the University Schools of Education, these are regionally based advisory services for schools. They include RFs (Regional Facilitators) in International Languages.

Qualifications and documentation NCEA NQF NEGs NAGs NZCF

National Certificate in Educational Achievement (Levels 1-3) Standards-based qualifications for Year 11-13 National Qualifications Framework The framework for all school and industry-based qualifications. Administered by NZQA. National Educational Guidelines Ministry of Education legal guidelines for schools and essential in departmental planning National Administrative Guidelines One section of the NEGs – see above New Zealand Curriculum Framework


Organisation within schools Deputy principal Second in school hierarchy after the principal Assistant principal Third in school hierarchy after principal and DP Head of Department


Head of Faculty


Teacher in Charge of a subject Means the teacher has responsibility for the subject but no official status or extra pay.




Board of Trustees Elected board responsible for much of the decision making in NZ’s self-managing schools Language related Second language learning


English for speakers of other languages


Refers to students from Non English-Speaking Backgrounds


Languages other than English More of an Australian than a NZ expression but occasionally used here NZ Association of Language Teachers


NZ Association of French Teachers


NZ Association of Japanese Language Teachers



German in Aoteoroa/New Zealand


Spanish Teachers’ Association of New Zealand/Aoteoroa

French Spanish German Professional development days for language teachers run by local region of NZALT – in Auckland every year; in other regions every second year. Te Kete Ipurangi The Ministry of Education’s website for New Zealand teachers;

LangSem TKI

Owing a Car in New Zealand Detailed information about owning and driving a car in New Zealand is available online form the Land Transport NZ website What is the cost of running a car? Good second-hand cars can be purchased for less than $5,000 dollars and much depends on model, year, mileage and condition. Registration Only the owner of a new car or the first owner of an imported car needs to pay this charge. Vehicle licence An annual payment to allow you to use the road and includes and ACC premium. Warrant of Fitness Warrant of Fitness (WoF) is a periodic safety inspection. Vehicles older than 5 years need to have a WoF test every six months. All other vehicles must have a WoF inspection every 12 months. It costs approx. $80 to have a WoF test. Mechanical repairs, new tyres etc. to meet the standards can be additional costs. Insurance Depends on vehicle type, insurance history, owner’s age, licence type etc. Fuel Petrol has recently increased and is currently approx. $2.20 cents a litre for 91 octane. Road charge There is no charge for petrol vehicles. Cars with diesel engines attract a road user charge. Where to buy a car? There are 3 channels from which to buy a car in New Zealand.  Private purchase Usually means a lower price but tends to be quite time-consuming to find a suitable car from different sources. It is recommended that you check whether any finance is owing on the car, website: The best means of finding privately owned cars are via notice boards in schools, Internet website called “Trade Me”  Licensed Motor Vehicle Dealers Cars from such sources generally come with a warranty but you will pay a higher price than buying privately. Car dealers are easy to find and are generally located on main streets. To check that the car dealer is authorised, go to the Motor Vehicle Securities Registration website  Car auction A good source of buying used cars. You can view a number of cars at one time and depending on the cost, the car may have displayed a brief summary and check list by an independent vehicle mechanic which will alert you to any major mechanical faults with the car. You do, however, need to have good language skills to cope with the very stressful competitive auction environment. It is recommended that you bring a ‘kiwi’ support person with you when purchasing a car from an auction. Turners Auctions are one of the biggest auction houses and are in all the main centres. You can check the cars to be auctioned on the website: Buying a car Before buying a car or motorbike, always check that it has no outstanding parking or traffic infringements. Ensure that the car is not stolen or still has money owing on it by phoning Autocheck: 0900 909 777 with the car’s registration and chassis number details. The check will cost a few dollars. It is recommended that you have a car mechanically checked and approved by an authorised mechanic before you buy. The AA (Automobile Association – tel: 0800 500 444) will perform a full and independent assessment that will reveal any problem with the vehicle that may be of concern.

There are some things you should always do, regardless of who you are buying from: a)

Model, year, condition, engine and mileage. You could ask a knowledgeable kiwi friend to help you or ask a professional mechanic (will be a cost) for advice. Japanese cars, Toyota and Mazda are considered some of the more reliable secondhand cars but much will depend on their previous ‘life’ (e.g. has the car been serviced on a regular basis). b) Make sure the car is licensed and that the warrant of fitness (WoF) is currently valid. (No WoF may indicate some costly mechanical repairs are required). c) Choose from a wide selection of cars. One of the best ways is by going to a large car auction to get ideas of prices for different types of cars. d) Check out the cost of insuring the vehicle. Insurance is expensive for young drivers, drivers who do not have an insurance history or have a powerful car (e.g. modified sports cars). If you have the opportunity, get an extended warranty (offered by car auctions). Whilst modern cars are reliable, warranties are relatively inexpensive and can protect you from high costs in case of major mechanical failure. Vehicle insurance N.B.: It is very important that you never leave valuables (in view) in car unless in a locked garage. If your car is broken into you will not be covered four loss by insurance. Please note, that if your vehicle is not registered, does not have a current WoF or if you are driving without a valid licence, your insurance company will not pay out if you have an accident. There are four types of vehicle insurance: 1. 2.



Full cover standard Covers accidents, theft, fire, vandalism and storm damage, plus damage to someone else’s vehicle or property. Agreed cover Cover as above but you and the insurance company agree when you take out the insurance on the value of your vehicle (current market or retail value) and the amount to be paid out if your vehicle is damaged beyond repair. Is a cheaper option than above. Third party, fire and theft Cover against fire and theft on your own car and cover against damage to someone else’s vehicle or property. It will cost about $150 per year in the first year for an adult driver and about $100 with no-claim bonus. Third party Covers damage that you cause to another vehicle or another person’s property but does not cover the cost of repairing your vehicle. Is the cheapest option.

Driver licence If you have a current driver licence or international driving permit, you can drive using that for a maximum of 12 months from the date you arrive in New Zealand. This may however change in the near future and you will need to pay attention to any new rules. (N.B. If your overseas licence or permit isn’t in English, then you must carry an accurate translation.) For further information refer to: If you are staying for longer than one year, then you must convert to a New Zealand driver licence before one year has passed. To do this you will have to pass a theory test only but you must have held your current licence for more than 2 years or otherwise you will need to pass the practical test as well. It is important that you carry your driver licence with you at all times when driving. If you do not have a current Japanese or international driver’s licence and you wish to drive in New Zealand you will need to sit and pass all three stages of the graduated licence: 1. Learner licence application 2. Restricted licence application 3. Full licence application You can apply for and sit the test in the following branches in NZ:  New Zealand Automobile Association (AA)  Vehicle Testing New Zealand (VTNZ)  Vehicle Identification New Zealand (VINZ)  On Road New Zealand Ltd. The addresses and contact details for above can be found on

Driving Safely In New Zealand, we drive on the left-hand side of the road and there are a number of different road rules. It is important that you understand these differences before driving in New Zealand and you should first check rules in the New Zealand Road Code. The Road Code can be purchased from most bookshops and is also available online at New Zealand roads can be deceivingly hazardous. The maximum speed is 50km/h in urban areas and 100km/h on the open road. There are four main reasons why people crash or die on New Zealand roads: 1. Driving too fast 2. Driving after drinking alcohol 3. Not wearing seat belts 4. Not giving way at intersections. What happens if you have a car accident If you have a crash whilst driving and are not badly hurt, you must stop and check to see if anyone else is hurt. If someone is hurt, dial 111 for emergency services (e.g. an ambulance). You will also need to protect the scene (e.g. put on warning lights) to ensure that other crashes do not occur. The accident must be reported to the police no later than 24 hours after occurring. If no one is hurt you will need to give your name and address to the owner or driver of the any other damaged vehicle and the owner of any damaged property. Record what happened, get names and contact details of all those involved. Ask them to sign it, then forward the details with your claim form to your insurance company. If you purchase a car, it is also recommended that you consider joining the AA (Automobile Association) who provide prompt assistance with breakdowns, free maps on NZ etc. Their website is: If there is anything you do not understand in these information notes or if there are issues that have not been covered that you feel you need information on, either now or once your arrive, please do not hesitate to contact: Dmitry Mitenkov Intercultural Programmes Co-ordinator International Languages Exchanges and Pathways Telephone: 09 623 8899 ext. 46 355

Information Notes for REX Teacher 19 July 2013  
Information Notes for REX Teacher 19 July 2013