WHY AFRICA Africa holds incredibly diverse wildlife, open landscapes, and rich culture, delivering exceptional safaris for any traveler, including the LGBTQ+ community. Places like South Africa are a haven for LGBTQ+ travelers. The “Rainbow Nation” has a liberal constitution, gay-friendly communities, cosmopolitan cities, lively culture, and a variety of beautiful natural spaces. African lodges, hotels and camps are also welcoming of our LGBTQ+ guests. It is important to work with an expert who exclusively knows Africa and personally vets partners that have an ethos similar to African Travel, organizations that focus on inclusion and sensitivity. Wherever you are guided, you will experience an intoxicating mix of adventure, wonder, wildlife and relaxation.
WELL-BEING IS OUR TOP PRIORITY African Travel’s commitment to our guest’s well-being is a top priority. Every detail is taken care of, providing a safe, worry-free experience. You can plan confidently knowing African Travel is part of The Travel Corporation, a financially healthy, family-run company that has been around for 101 years!
OUR PASSION GOES BEYOND THE SAFARI THE AFRICAN TRAVEL DIFFERENCE Crafting award-winning safaris for 45 years, African Travel’s motto is, “We Know Africa.” Our specialists include LGBTQ+ experts who have lived and traveled extensively in Africa with family, friends, and partners. Beyond the support of safari specialists based in North America, you also have local hosts available 24/7 to assist with issues and to safely navigate the continent. Whether you are seeking wildlife, art, wine, romance, or a family getaway, the award-winning safari outfitter will tailor the right Africa experience for you.
ROOTS IN AFRICA
LOCAL HERE & THERE
MAKE TRAVEL MATTER
Part of The Travel Corporation (TTC), and family-owned for 100 years.
With passionate experts based in North America to help with planning and local guides hosting in Africa.
With our stringent hygiene protocols, 24/7 concierge and local hosts to assist.
Donations are made to wildlife and a child’s education so your trip has a positive impact.
MEANINGFUL MOMENTS Each journey is filled with immersive experiences with the locals and wildlife.
FLEXIBLE TRAVEL Limited change fees or penalties apply when travel is postponed.
AWARD WINNING SERVICE We are an award-winning company that only works with partners who meet our five-star standards.
SOUTH AFRICA’S Natural Wonders
This epic adventure showcases different sides of South Africa’s natural beauty. Start your journey in Cape Town, one of the gay capitals of the world, to discover breathtaking views of Table Mountain. Venture to Grootbos Nature Reserve, an eco-reserve tucked between mountain, forest and the sea, search for the Marine Big Five, and explore the secluded wildlife haven of Shamwari Game Reserve.
South Africa’s Natural Wonders | 10 days Take in breathtaking views of Cape Town, then journey to the marine and wildlife kingdoms of Shamwari Game Reserve and Grootbos Nature Reserve.
3 nights Cape Town CAPE GRACE 3 nights Gansbaai GROOTBOS FOREST LODGE 3 nights Shamwari Private Game Reserve EAGLES CRAG LODGE A DONATION OF $100 PER COUPLE IS MADE TOWARDS RHINO CONSERVATION
DISCOVER Shamwari’s prolific wildlife, and enjoy close encounters with Africa’s Big Five.
• Spend a day in Cape Town, strolling through the Malay Quarter, visiting the top of Table Mountain or venturing into Stellenbosch to join a guided foodie walk. • Enjoy the breathtaking scenery of the Cape of Good Hope and see the amusing antics of the African penguin colony • Enjoy a variety of nature-based guided adventures, 4x4 flower safaris, horse riding and quad biking through forests and valleys at Grootbos • Indulge in ultimate luxury, privacy, relaxation and breathtaking scenery at Shamwari’s remote Eagle’s Craig Lodge • Learn about wildlife conservation at Shamwari Game Reserve’s Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre and the Born Free Big Cats Foundation EXPERIENCE the eco-boat cruise in search of South Africa’s Marine Big Five.
Like South Africa’s diversity, this trip can be tailored for any travel style and is also perfect if you want to travel with friends, family or that special person in your life.
Experience SOUTH AFRICA This journey explores the best of South Africa including the rich tapestry of culture, art, and beach escapes. Indulge in Cape Town and Durban, before flying to the exclusive Sabi Sand Private Game Reserve for a luxury safari.
Experience South Africa | 11 days If you like culture, art, food and wine, this immersive safari delivers it all.
4 nights Cape Town ELLERMAN HOUSE 3 nights Durban THE OYSTER BOX Travel + Leisure #1 Hotel in South Africa 3 nights Sabi Sand Reserve DULINI INTRA-AFRICA AIR INCLUDED
ENJOY Ellerman House, an exclusive hideaway in Cape Town and home to one of the largest art collections
• Visit Cape Winelands, popular with the gay community, for a food and wine tour with picturesque towns and fine restaurants • Take the cable car to the top of Table Mountain for breathtaking views of the city • Experience LGBTQ+-popular beaches in Cape Town, such as Clifton Third Beach, Camps Bay or Llandudno Beach • Enjoy high tea at Ardmore, a renowned ceramics studio, and meet the talented local artisans who create colorful ceramics and fabrics inspired by Zulu traditions • Discover the art and beach scene in Durban and timeless elegance at the award-winning Oyster Box overlooking the Indian Ocean and its iconic lighthouse • Explore the striking scenery and prolific wildlife from Dulini Lodge on twice-daily game activities. Don’t forget your binoculars! EXPERIENCE one of Africa’s finest safari destinations, where the animals take center stage
Cape Town is a progressive traveler’s dream with marriage equality, a great art scene and some of the world’s top restaurants.
Artfully combining the cosmopolitan, LGBTQ+ atmosphere of Cape Town, a Big Five safari in Kruger National Park and the majestic Victoria Falls, you’ll experience the vibrant culture, scenic beauty, and natural wonders of Southern Africa.
Southern Explorer | 10 days Our most popular safari, this adventure is perfect for travelers who want Africa’s bucket list highlights. 3 nights Cape Town THE TWELVE APOSTLES HOTEL AND SPA 3 nights Sabi Sabi Private Reserve SABI SABI BUSH LODGE 1 night Johannesburg SANDTON SUN 2 nights Victoria Falls THE VICTORIA FALLS HOTEL
DISCOVER an LGBTQ+ favorite, the winelands and its picturesque towns, learning the process of wine making
• Explore the Cape Peninsula, visiting the Cape of Good Hope and the delightful penguin colony at Boulders Beach on a privately guided sightseeing tour • Soak up the tranquility of the African bush at Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge, famed for its warmth, vibrancy and legendary hospitality to the gay community • Take a guided walk through the bush or arrange for a romantic, candle-lit alfresco dinner as the Southern Cross begins to twinkle • Enjoy twice daily game drives in search of Africa’s “Big Five” the leopard, rhino, elephant, buffalo and the mighty lion • Experience the golden glow of an African sunset as you meander along the Zambezi River on a sundowner dinner cruise EXPERIENCE a spectacular scenic helicopter flight over Victoria Falls
While exploring other parts of Africa, it is best to limit public displays of affection as some local cultures can be more conservative compared to South Africa.
SOUTHERN AFRICA Through a Child’s Eyes
Southern Africa is a welcoming destination for LGBTQ+ families. Experience the magic of seeing animals in the wild and be awed by breathtaking Victoria Falls. You are guaranteed to reconnect and experience the wonder and wildness of Africa.
Southern Africa Through a Child’s Eyes This adventure is perfectly tailored to meet the needs of parents visiting hotels and lodges that host fun, educational activities while allowing parents to indulge in safari activities.
4 nights Cape Town BELMOND MOUNT NELSON 3 nights Sabi Sabi Private Reserve SABI SABI BUSH LODGE 2 nights Victoria Falls VICTORIA FALLS RIVER LODGE
DISCOVER Sabi Sabi’s Elefun Center and wildlife encounters at Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge
• Explore the Cape Peninsula on a privately guided tour • Parents enjoy wine tasting and afternoon tea while kids delight in special experiences • Visit the Two Oceans Aquarium to explore marine life • In a Kruger National Park private reserve area, ranger-led bush-veld activities reveal the natural world • Marvel at one of the seven Natural Wonders of the World on a guided walking tour of Victoria Falls • Join a cruise on the mighty Zambezi against the backdrop of the golden sunrise
ENJOY a sundowner while kids try to spot wildlife at the Victoria Falls River Lodge
Customize this journey or tailor-make your own adventure to one of South Africa’s many LGBTQ+ and family-friendly lodges and camps.
World’s GREATEST SHOW and Safari
Dreaming of seeing the Great Migration and the millions of wildebeest and zebra cross the great plains of East Africa? This safari captures the very best of Kenya and Tanzania. Marvel at snow-capped Mt. Kilimanjaro and explore the Ngorongoro Crater, the world’s largest caldera.
World’s Greatest Show & Safari | 12 days This collection of East African camps has pride and will take care of you throughout your journey. 1 night Nairobi HEMINGWAYS NAIROBI 2 nights Amboseli National Park ELEWANA TORTILIS CAMP 2 nights Lewa Wildlife Conservancy ELEWANA LEWA SAFARI CAMP 2 nights Masai Mara ELEWANA SAND RIVER MASAI MARA 1 night Arusha ARUSHA COFFEE LODGE 2 nights Ngorongoro Conservation Area ELEWANA THE MANOR AT NGORONGORO
• See where wildlife meets the city on a safe exploration of Nairobi • Delight in the views of snow-capped Mount Kilimanjaro and the famous large-tusked elephants of Amboseli during a walking safari • Descend into the Ngorongoro Crater, hailed as the ‘eighth wonder of the world’, for game viewing and a picnic lunch • Thrill at tracking wildlife, wildebeest and zebras across the Maasai Mara or the Serengeti • Spot tree climbing lions and the seasonal pink-hued flamingos and 400 species of birds at magical Lake Manyara • Feel at home at Arusha Coffee Lodge, a peaceful retreat within a large coffee plantation • Enjoy scenic flights between parks maximizing your safari time
EXPERIENCE a different view of wildlife with an optional hot air balloon ride
Our Director of Sales and LGBTQ+ member, Kevan Cowie recently traveled with his partner and his highlight was the warm welcome at lodges and camps during game drives, breakfasts in the bush, and elegant sundowners. READ MORE
Botswana offers an incredible range of land and water safari experiences and is the perfect place if you’re looking to disconnect from the modern world. If you’re looking for something truly unique and extraordinary, then Botswana and its new and revamped lodges and camps needs to be at the top of the list.
Platinum Botswana | 11 days This ultra-luxe Botswana Safaris is made for those where attention to detail matters, privacy is paramount, and style and sustainability perfectly intersects.
1 night Johannesburg THE SAXON 3 nights Makgadikgadi Pans JACK’S CAMP 3 nights Selinda Reserve ZARAFA CAMP 3 nights Okavango Delta XIGERA SAFARI LODGE
EXPERIENCE an interaction with the pixie-faced meerkats as they emerge from their burrows
• Enjoy dinner in the middle of nowhere with a 360-degree view of the stars at Jack’s Camp • Visit the Natural History Museum, with one of the most comprehensive collections of ancient artifacts in Botswana • Meet the Kalahari bushman on a nature walk at Jack’s Camp • Go on morning and evening safari drives in search of elephant, buffalo, zebra and giraffe • Glide in a glass-bottomed mokoro at Xigera • Enjoy adventure activities with quad bikes over the white sand pans at Makgadikgadi Pans ENJOY land and water safaris at your own pace at Xigera Safari Lodge
You’ll explore Botswana as a VIP with a flexible safari experience at Xigera. Meet and get to know the leopards that are regularly seen on safari.
LIVE THE AFRICAN DREAM
LIVE THE AFRICAN DREAM We find the right Africa just for you. Plan your safari now. Contact your travel advisor to book your adventure