F O RK S
N e at e s t
Little Paper Ever Read®
LES • PUZZ A I V I R S •T FACT • FUN
Of Grand Forks • East Grand Forks
Big savings Issue # 1,109 Published by: Wick Publications 701-740-0968 firstname.lastname@example.org TIDBITS GAZES INTO YOUR EYES for Different Name, Bigsafe savings drivers. Same Superior Service! See why for safe EYES See why millions trust From This drivers. by millions trust us for Home
March 7, 2019
Sharon Opdahl, Agent 2534 17th Avenue South, Suite F Grand Forks, ND 58201 Bus: 701-746-0495 email@example.com Sharon Opdahl, Agent Sharon Opdahl Sharon Opdahl, Agent Sharon Opdahl, Agent 2534 17th Avenue South, Suite F 253417th 17th Avenue South, Suite FF 2534 Avenue South, Suite Agent Grand Forks, NDND 58201 Sharon Opdahl, Agent Grand Forks, 58201 Grand Forks, ND 58201 Bus: 701-746-0495 2534 17th Avenue South, Bus: 701-746-0495 Bus: 701-746-0495 Suite F firstname.lastname@example.org Grand Forks, ND 58201 email@example.com 2534 17th Ave. S. • Suite firstname.lastname@example.org
for Home &usAuto. Auto.up to 50%. Get& a discount
I can help lower your premium through Drive Safe & Save™. I’m here toState help life go lifeup go right ,, Get discount 50%. to help ® . to GetI’m tohere aabetter ™ you time and money byright saving money ,toby saving you here help life right , can help lower yourgopremium GetII’m State Farm. your home when you combine home ™ by saving you time and money time and money when through Drive Safe & Save . ME TODAY. and auto insurance. FCALL ® home when combine your . home Get toyou a better State you combine your Bus: 701-746-0495 ME TODAY. and State auto insurance. email@example.com Grand Forks, ND 58201 CALL Get Farm. and auto insurance. CALL ME TODAY. 701-746-0495 CALL ME TODAY.
• Esharonopdahl.com AST G RAN D
F O CALL RK S ME TODAY.
StateFarm Farm Mutual Mutual Automobile Automobile Insurance Insurance Company Company State State Farm Farm Indemnity Indemnity Company Company State State Farm Fire and Casualty Casualty Company StateState FarmFarm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company Fire and Company State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company State FarmFarm General Insurance Company IL State Indemnity Company State Farm Indemnity Company, Bloomington, State Farm General Insurance Company Bloomington, IL Company State FarmBloomington, Fire and Casualty IL State Farm General Insurance Company Bloomington, IL
State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company State Farm Indemnity Company, Bloomington, IL
our taxes & apply n Easy Advance*
up to 3,250
within 24 hours ees or Interest
In 1981, President Ronald Reagan issued Proclamation 4821, declaring March 3 – 9 as Save Your Vision Week, urging citizens to show “greater concern for preserving vision and preventing eye injury…” Follow along as Tidbits takes a peek into those organs of sight, the eyes. • The eye is the second-most complex organ in the human body. Only the brain is more complex. Each eye has more than 2 million operational parts, and can process upwards of 36,000 bits of information every hour. We actually see with our brain, not our eyes. The eyes function like a camera, capturing images and sending them to the brain. About half of the brain is used for vision and seeing. Over the course of the average lifetime, the eyes will see about 24 million different images. • Eyes sit in a hollowed socket called the orbit for protection, with only about 1/6 of the eye exposed. The eye is about 1 inch in diameter and weighs about 0.25 oz. Eyes begin to develop just two weeks after conception. Growth of the eye is rapid the first three years of life, and by age 13, it is full size. • When your eyes are watering, it’s not because they have excess moisture. Actually, it’s the opposite! Your eyes are producing tears to Turn the page for more! compensate for dry eyes.
WANT TO PUBLISH A TIDBITS IN YOUR AREA? ®
We provide the opportunity for success!
Call 1.800.523.3096 www.tidbitsweekly.com
x.com Y O U D O L I F E . W E D O TA X E S.
$79 CALL NOW! Expires Mar. 22, 2019
701-775-5522 Grand Forks, ND
ORGANIC SALON SPA
Hair Loss Hospital • REPAIR • REFRESH • RECLAIM Call to learn about Hair Loss Therapy!
701-739-2403 2600 DeMers Ave. Grand Forks, ND
“Say Cheese” Donate a Pint of Blood in March & Receive a FREE Mini Mac Enjoy one FREE pint from the of frozen custard As Blue part of Moose. our Give A Pint, Get A Pint program,
we’d like to thank you for your lifesaving donation DineBlood in onlyBank in April by treating you to a to Dak Minn pint of our fresh, delicious frozen custard. Available in vanilla, chocolate and our always popular flavor of the day, Culver’s® Frozen Custard is so smooth and creamy, it’s better than ice cream.
720 S. Washington St.
A dentist with 2 years of additional training beyond dental school to specialize in dental care for infants, children & adolescents. Your child will love coming to see us!
3350 Columbia Rd (Next(Next totoSItalian Moon) Hornbachers)
Forks, NDND 58201 58201 GrandGrand Forks, (701) 746-1750 701-746-1750
*For Valid at loan participating be iscombined with deral refund less authorized feesnew must customers. be at least $5,095. Actual amount may locations. vary. An EasyCannot Advance (EA) a loan & Trust Company, memberother FDIC, offers to eligible There are no fees or interest associated withper the EA. Loan is and per reortaxpayers. used toward past services. One coupon customer cally available within 24 hours IRS acceptance tax returnor(ortax within 24 hours products. for those filing beforeexclusions the IRS start date) turn.of Not valid withof online software Other may apply. time for your financial institution to post the funds to your account. Visit your Liberty Tax office to learn about the cost, Void where prohibited by law. Valid March 1- April. 8, 2019. d at participating locations. Valid Jan. 2-Feb. 28, 2018.
Chad Hoge, DDS, MS
Call or e-mail an appointment: Check yourforeligibility date and
(5433) call for an appointment: 780-LIFE
Mikala Hoge, DDS
firstname.lastname@example.org 780-LIFE (5433) or e-mail www.dakminnbloodbank.org email@example.com
3375 www.dakminnbloodbank.org DeMers Ave. Grand Forks
3rd Month Rent
Expires 4.30.19 Some restrictions apply.
Parkwood | Independent Living & Assisted Living 749 S. 30th St., Grand Forks | 701.757.1519 edgewoodseniorliving.com
ON REMOTE START
Q: What did one eye say to the other eye? A: “Between you and me, something smells!” *on Select Models
SoundDecisionND.com • 701-738-0713 • 1923 DeMers Ave., Grand Forks
Quiz Bits 1. 2. 3. 4.
5. What part of the eye, in the center of the iris, allows light to strike the retina? What’s the common name used 6. Name the 1989 movie that has for the eye ailment conjunctiJohn Cusack’s character Lloyd vitis? Dobler holding a boombox What part of the eye is known above his head that’s playing as the sclera? the song “In Your Eyes”? Name the condition that results 7. Which band released the song common name forand thewhat in blurred 1.What’s vision or nothe vision in “Eye of theused Tiger,” ailment the center of eye the visual field.conjunctivitis? year was it? What eye color is a combina2.What part of the eye isTRIVIA known as the tion of brownsclera? and green? SPONSORED BY:
MARCH SPECIALS • Spend $25 - Get a Small Assortment FREE ($6.95 value) • Spend $35 - Get a Truffle Assortment FREE ($8.50 value) • Spend $50 - Get Both Assortments FREE ($15.45 value)
• You’ve heard it said that life passes by in a blink of an eye. Did you know that we spend about 10% of our waking hours with our eyes closed, blinking. Each blink lasts about 1/10th of a second, and takes place about 25,000 times a day, about every 12 to 15 seconds. A person blinks more when talking, but less when reading or staring at a computer screen. Because we blink less often during screen time, that’s what makes our eyes tired. Blinking keeps our eyes lubricated as well as protecting the eye from foreign particles. • Each fingerprint has 40 distinctive characteristics. The colored part of your eye, the iris, has 256, which is why eye scans are gaining widespread use for security purposes. • One of the most common eye injuries is pok1. Name the condition that results in blurred vision or ing eyeball with aofmascara no the vision in the center the visualwand! field. But the is that takes onlyofabout 2.good Whatnews eye color is a itcombination brown48 andhours togreen? repair a minor scratch on the cornea.
3. It’s the cause ofpart blindness, clouding • The iris,principal that colored of thea eye, hasofan the eye’s natural lens behind the iris and pupil. What important function – controlling the size of is it? pupil and of of light reaching 4.the What part of thethe eye,amount in the center the iris, allows the retina. The light to strike the color retina? of your eyes is due to amount of the melanin. A high 5.the When do people read pigment 25% slower? concentration of melanin in the front layer of the iris results in brown eyes, while blue eyes have a lower amount. Although brown is the world’s most common eye color, 86% of the population of Ireland and Scotland have either blue or green eyes.
• Most“The newborn babies withofEuropean face is a picture the mindancestry have blue eyes at birth. But as the child with the eyes as its interpreter.” grows, -Marcus cells within the iris of the eyes begin Tullius Cicero to produce melanin, and by 3 to 6 months of age, the adult eye color is established.
Tw g b f “ u
Th b c
Why do photos have “red eye”? It’s STOP BYbecause AND SEE light from the flash bounces OURoff NEW the back of eye. The area behind the retina is rich in blood vessels, which make LOCATION AT it appear red on film.
COLUMBIA MALL Grand Forks, ND
701-757-4008 Hours: M-Sat. 11-7 • Sun 12-6
Shaquille O’Neal 3/6/72 Bryan Cranston Charles Gibson
Huge Selection & Variety of Candy and Chocolates!
Freddie Prinze, Jr. 3/8/76 3/9/43
1. 2. 3. 4. 5.
Wood Burning & Pellet Stoves & Fireplaces
Clearance on Remaining Inventory • Ends March 15, 2019 • Fireplaces & Stoves • Gas, Wood, Electric, and Pellet • Inserts • Mantels • Glass Doors • Brick and Stone • Fireplace Accessories
FREE ESTIMATES! Sales & Installation
WE DO COMPLETE INSTALLATIONS
4224 Gateway Dr. • Grand Forks 0% FINANCING www.sunroomsplusgf.com
FULL FAMILY CARE Infants to Adults
TREATING: • Neck Pain • Low Back Pain • Headaches • Sciatica • Sports Injuries • DOT Physical-Certified
2840 19th Ave. S. • Grand Forks
Dr. John Fulp, D.C.
Dr. Marshal Pederson, D.C.
TIME FOR AN Find healing and freedom from life’s hurts, hang-ups and habits.
A Christ-centered recovery ministry!
1601 17th Ave S Grand Forks ND 701.772.1884 Thursdays @ 6:30pm
4. In 2017, Texas’ Adrian Beltre became the third major-leaguer who pri1. What’s the most goals marily played third base scored by one team in a during his career to reach ND Boys Hockey State 3,000 career hits. Who Championship game? were the first two? 2. How many times did Hall 5. Entering 2019, which of Famer Harmon Killegolfer holds the current brew hit 45 or more home active streak for most runs during a season? consecutive years with at 3. Who was the first NBA least one victory on the player to have at least LPGA Tour? 2,000 points, 900 assists, 6. Which MLB pitcher holds and 600 rebounds in a season? the record for most no-hitters?
Call or Stop By Today to Schedule Your Auto Start Installation!
Gift Certificates Available www.TriixCustoms.com
1600 47th Ave. S. - Suite C • Grand Forks • 701-757-3075
EAST GRAND FORKS
AMERICAN LEGION • POST 157 •
Book Our BALLROOM:
• Weddings • Graduation • Parties • Meetings • & More
PULL Thursdays: 7:00 pm TA B S Sundays: 1:30 pm 1009 CENTRAL AVE. • EAST GRAND FORKS • 218-773-1129
• Speaking of newborns, although they do a whole lot of crying, they don’t produce any tears until they are between 4 and 13 weeks of age. • The eye’s cornea is the only tissue in the human body that does not contain any blood vessels. • Vision is measured in fractions, known as Snellen fractions, named for the Dutch ophthalmologist who developed the system in 1862. If a person has 20/20 vision, he or she is able to clearly see an object at a distance of 20 feet. The distance from the person to the eyechart is 20 feet, and the letters on the chart are a certain size, getting larger as the fractions increase. If a person can only see the big single “E” at the top of the chart, vision is 20/200. The smallest letters on the Snellen chart correspond to 20/10 vision. If you’re fortunate enough to have 20/10 vision, your eyesight is twice as sharp as a person with 20/20. • Cells in the eyes come in different shapes. Rodshaped cells are very sensitive to light and allow us to see shapes. There are 100 million of these rods, which also enable us to see better in the dark. The cone-shaped cells are responsible for the eyes seeing color. The 7 million cone cells can differentiate between about 10 million colors.
Breaking New Ground April 6, 2019
8 a.m. - 4:15 p.m Alerus Center
1200 42nd St. S. Grand Forks, ND
Would You Like Tidbits in Your Waiting Area?
Jan Coppola Bills Two Women and Hoe® Breakout sessions including: Water Features, New Plants, Plant Diseases, and more!
• Folks whose cones don’t have all the necessary pigments – red, green, and blue -- have trouble seeing certain colors. Deuteranomoly is the most common form of color blindness, affecting 5% of all males. The green cone pigment doesn’t work properly, making yellow and green look redder, and making it difficult to distinguish blue from violet.
Pre-registration Required For additional info. go to: www.gardeningsaturday.info
Call Tidbits @ 740-0968 It’s FREE and your customers will love it!
END OF SEASON
REMOTE AUTO STARTS
on Remaining In-
Start, Track, & Control Your Car • Up to From 3,000 ft. Anywhere, range Right from your Phone.
Deluxe 2-Way Remote Start
We carry Meyer plows for Residental and Commercial use, and a wide variety of Salt Spreaders.
All-Weather Floor Mats
Customized to fit your specific vehicle. Deeply sculpted channels designed to trap water, road salt, mud and sand. These mats are engineered to prevent curling & cracking in sub-zero weather.
Low-Profile Roll-Up Tonneau Cover
WHEELS & TIRES SUPER STORE
6105 Gateway Drive • Grand Forks, ND 701-746-0083 • 800-279-7492 • Hours: M-F 9-6 and Sat. 9-3
0% FINANCING Up to 18 Months
See Store for Details
www.newvisiontruckaccessories.com H Professional Installation on All Products we sell
FARM FILTER SALE BALDWIN Oil, Air and Fuel Filters
Home Owned & Operated Since 1939
Hwy. 81 North • Grand Forks, ND • Hours: M-F 8-8 • Sat. 8-6 • Sun. 12-6
• When the red cone is deficient, known as protanomaly, orange, red, and yellow look greener. Tritanomaly is the result of missing or limited blue cones. Blue looks greener, and it’s hard to tell pink from yellow and red. Some rare individuals have no pigments in any of the eyes’ cones, and see no color at all. This condition is known as monochromacy or achromatopsia. • One in 12 men of European descent is colorblind, while just one in 200 women are affected. This is because the condition is located on the X chromosome, of which men have only one. Women have two X chromosomes, so that if a female has the colorblind gene, she has a normal gene as a “backup.” • Each of your eyes has about 100 eyelashes on the top eyelid, and 50 on the lower lid, each with a lifespan of about five months. Over the course of your lifetime, you will shed eyelashes amounting to a length of over 98 feet.
Short-Term Care & Rehabilitation • Recuperate • Get Strong • Get Back to Everyday Life We offer specialized services in:
Physical, Occuaptional and Speech Therapy, along with Skilled Nursing Services To learn more about rehabilitation and other services we offer please contact us.
(218) 281-3424 • 516 Walsh Street. • Crookston, MN
d Cities Gam n ra G 120 N. Wash. St. Grand Forks
BUY 2 BOARD GAMES GET 1 FREE
Free Board Game must be equal or lesser value of 2 purchased. Exp. 3-30-19
• Comics • Trading Cards • Warhammer • Board Games • RPGs • Dice • Gaming Rooms
• The number 80 is an important one when it comes to eyes. Our eyes account for 80% of what we learn, 80% of our memories are determined by what we see, and 80% of vision problems around the world are avoidable or curable.
© 2019 King Features Synd., Inc.
*Answer located further back in this issue.
• When you hit about age 45, you may have to don reading glasses due to an increasingly worsening ability to focus clearly on small print and close objects. This condition, simply due to the aging of the eye, is known as presbyopia.
*Answer located further back in this issue.
We cherish those who served. In-Home Senior Care Services for Veterans • Personal care
• Dementia & Alzheimer's care
• Companionship & housekeeping
• Respite care
• Safety solutions
• Private duty nursing
2100 S. Columbia Rd., #116, Grand Forks, ND 58201 Home + Life + Care I grandforks-120.ComfortKeepers.com © 2019 CK Franchising, Inc. Most offices independently owned and operated.
2600 DeMers Ave. Grand Forks, ND
Online Ordering & Daily Specials
Open: Fri-Sat 11am-2am • Sun-Thurs 11am-Midnight Expanded Grand Forks Delivery & Now East Grand Forks
TWO LARGE 1-TOPPING PIZZAS
© 2019 King Features Syndicate. All rights reserved.
LARGE BEEF TOSTADA PIZZA
Must mention coupon when ordering. Not valid with other offers. Expires 3-31-19
Must mention coupon when ordering. Not valid with other offers. Expires 3-31-19
From payroll and bookkeeping to expert tax preparation and advice, H&R Block is ready to work for you. For the year-round services you need and the one-on-one attention you deserve, partner with H&R Block Business Services.
Call today to make an appointment.
2715 S WASHINGTON ST GRAND FORKS, ND 58201 | 701-746-0425 2600 Demers Ave Grand Forks, ND 58201 | 701-746-7361
Does not include audit, attest or other services for which a license is required. OBTP#B13696 ©2017 HRB Tax Group, Inc.
ENJOY THE GIFT OF HEARING
746.7000 GRAND FORKS
Tidbits is Available at:
All Grand Forks, East Grand Forks & Crookston locations of: L
ocated o n publicat the racks nea ion rt Exit doors he !
• On March 15, 44 BC, Julius Caesar, dictator of Rome, is stabbed to death in the Roman Senate house by 60 conspirators led by Brutus and Cassius, who believed that his death would lead to the restoration of the Roman Republic. • On March 16, 1751, James Madison, author of the Federalist Papers and fourth president of the United States, is born in Virginia. Madison is best remembered for his critical role in the Constitutional Convention of 1787, where he oversaw the drafting of the final Constitution. • On March 17, 1776, British forces are forced to evacuate Boston following Gen. George Washington's successful placement of fortifications and cannons on Dorchester Heights. Realizing their position was now indefensible, 11,000 British troops sailed to the safety of Halifax, Nova Scotia. • On March 14, 1919, Max Brand, perhaps the most prolific writer of Western stories, publishes his first novel, "The Untamed." Max Brand was one of 21 pen names used by author Frederick Faust. Unlike many Western authors, Faust made no pretense to historical accuracy in his works. • On March 13, 1969, "The Love Bug," a movie about the adventures of a Volkswagen Beetle named Herbie, opens in theaters. The Walt Disney film, based on the 1961 book "Car, Boy, Girl" by Gordon Buford, spawned four spinoffs. • On March 12, 1972, the last remnants of the First Australian Task Force withdraw from Vietnam. The Australian government had first sent troops to Vietnam in 1964 and by 1969, their forces totaled an estimated 6,600 personnel. • On March 11, 1990, Lithuania becomes the first Soviet republic to proclaim its independence from the USSR. The Soviet government responded by imposing an oil embargo and economic blockade against the Baltic republic, and later sent troops. Lithuania would gain its independence in September 1991. © 2019 Hearst Communications, Inc. All Rights Reserved
KING C R O S S W O R D
& Columbia Mall present
elementary art show Located at:
COLUMBIA MALL March 19-24 Art Show Exhibition March 19, 20, 21 4:00-8:00 March 23 10:00-2:00 Art Show Festival
Contact your local agent
• Medicare Contact your local agent for for more information: Coverage moreinformation: information: t for more • Group <Agent Name> A Medical INSURANCE AGENCY <Agency Name> Life Ins. • <Address> Rick Asche • 701-772-1138 H2409, H2410, H2450_2058 (01-2009) <City, ST ZIP> <Phone> 1521 24th Ave. S. • Grand Forks, ND <Hours of Operation> > “Since 1988”
Life • Medicare • Group Plans • Health • Long Term Care
©2009 Medica. Medica® contracts with the federal government.
©2009 Medica. Medica® contracts with the federal government.
S U D O K U
by Linda Thistle
009 Medica. Medica® contracts with the federal government.
Place a number in the empty boxes in such a way that each row across, each column down and each small 9-box square contains all of the numbers from one to nine.
All Ages Event More Than 3,600 Works of Art! Artist demos Make’N’Takes
TO SPONSOR OR VOLUNTEER: ArtWise firstname.lastname@example.org
DIFFICULTY THIS WEEK: H Moderate
Challenging HOO BOY!
© 2019 King Features Synd., Inc.
MADAM C.J. WALKER
In honor of International Women’s Day on March 8, Tidbits pays tribute to Madam C.J. Walker, one of the first American female self-made millionaires. • Madam Walker was born as Sarah Breedlove on a Louisiana cotton plantation, two years after the Civil War ended, into a family of freed slaves, the first in her family born free. Orphaned at the age of seven, Sarah lived with her sister and picked cotton as a sharecropper.
• While in Indianapolis, she continued to train sales beauticians, sending them out into African-American communities, promoting her philosophy of “cleanliness and loveliness.” In 1913, she branched out into Latin America and the Caribbean, and eventually employed 40,000 African-American women and men in the U.S., Central America, and the Caribbean, offering generous commissions for their sales work. In 1917, she founded the National Negro Cosmetics Manufacturers Association.
• After years of living with an abusive brother-in-law, • As Sarah traveled, her daughter A’Lelia, now 31, was seeking property in Harlem, New York, as a base Sarah married at age 14 to escape her situation. At 20, for expansion of the business. Sarah moved there in she was a widow with a two-year-old daughter. She 1916 and quickly became involved in moved to St. Louis to be near her brothers, and Harlem’s social and political activities. worked as a washerwoman for $1.50 while she atShe was a noted philanthropist, donattended night school. She married Charles Walker, ing heavily to the NAACP, establishing an advertising salesman for the local newspaper. scholarship funds, and soliciting dona• In her 20’s, Sarah developed a scalp condition tions for homes for the elderly, focusthat cause much of her hair to fall out. She being on improving the lives of Africangan using a product known as “Annie Malone’s Americans. The Indianapolis YMCA Great Wonderful Hair Grower,” and after achievalso received a large amount of money ing success with the concoction, she joined Malone’s toward its new construction in 1913. team of African-American sales agents, and moved to Denver, Colorado. While employed, Sarah began • In 1916, construction began on a 34-room mansion on the Hudson River in Irvington, New York. Sarah’s experimenting with her own hair products, and in mansion was built at an estimated cost of $250,000 1905, she launched her own brand, “Madam Walker’s and included a gymnasium, pipe organ, billiard room, Wonderful Hair Grower,” as well as conditioners and and accommodations for eight servants, along with straighteners. numerous guest rooms. It was here that Madam • Charles created the advertisements and helped Sarah Walker passed away from kidney failure at age 51, establish a mail order business, and the pair traveled after only one year of residence. She remained the throughout the South promoting the products, giving sole owner of her business to her death, valued at lectures and demonstrations. In 1908, with the profits more than $1 million in 1919. Two-thirds of her subfrom her business, she opened a factory and beauty stantial funds were bequeathed to charity. school in Pittsburgh. She and Charles divorced two years later, and Sarah relocated to Indianapolis, where • The Madam Walker Beauty College is still operating and her original products are still manufactured and she built a new factory. distributed.
Here is pricing for a few of our more popular ad sizes: Of Grand Forks • East Grand Forks
THE AREA’S BEST ADVERTISING VALUE 1. It’s a FREE publication for the public. 2. Every issue of Tidbits is available for a full 3.
week; so your ad gets seen for 7 days! Tidbits is a smaller publication which gives your ad a great chance of being noticed. Plus, every page is designed to contain extra content such as trivia and puzzles to entertain readers on each page longer. People love Tidbits because it’s filled with content that is upbeat and fun....not with “gloom and doom” news of the day. Tidbits appeals to just about everyone!
8,000 Copies of Tidbits are published every Thursday and distributed to over 120 locations in Grand Forks, GFAFB, East Grand Forks & Crookston.
Ad Size (inches)
2x2 2x3 Front 2x3 Inside 4x2 4x3 4x4 1/4 Page (4x5) 1/2 Page Full Page
1-12 weeks $40.00 $60.00 $50.00 $60.00 $80.00 $88.00 $95.00 $165.00 $265.00
13+ weeks $31.00 $51.00 $41.00 $51.00 $66.00 $75.00 $82.00 $137.00 $223.00
*All prices listed are per week.
An area favorite for over 20 YEARS!
For more information:
Call 701.740.0968 or go to www.TidbitsGF.com
Solution on Next Page
PLEASE TELL OUR ADVERTISERS YOU SAW THEIR AD IN TIDBITS!
King Features Weekly Service ©2019 King Features Syndicate, Inc. All rights reserved.
© 2019 King Features Synd., Inc.
(Answers located further back)
February 25, 2019
• There are good reasons to recaulk your baseboards from time to time. Not only will it give you a clean look, but it will help to stop drafts and block out bugs, which can creep in through the tiniest of cracks. • “Here’s a tip for making a box cake taste like it was made from scratch: Add an extra egg, use melted butter instead of oil and use milk (whole) in place of water. Mix for an extra minute or two, to really aerate the batter. It’ll be gorgeous.” — T.H. in New Hampshire • “Hide the cords coming from your wall-mounted television by running them through a length of PVC pipe. It can be painted to match your wall, too! Measure the length you need, and your hardware store may be able to cut a piece for you if you can’t find one the right size. It looks so much cleaner, and you can even use double-stick tape to attach the pipe to the wall.” — B.B. in Florida • “Donate extra throw blankets to your local animal shelters. In fact, visit the website of your local shelter and check for a ‘wish list’ to see if you have anything that can be donated. They are always in need, and so deserving.” — F.I. in Texas • “On weekend trips to our cabin, we pack a laundry basket for each bedroom. It includes fresh sheets, towels and the clothing for that person. At the end of the weekend, it’s easy to ‘pack’ those items that need to be laundered. The bonus is that they stack nicely in the back of the car, and they’re a snap to unpack, too!” — A.H. in North Carolina Send your tips to Now Here’s a Tip, 628 Virginia Drive, Orlando, FL 32803.
by Samantha Weaver
• It was 20th-century British actor George Sewell who made the following sage observation: "Fear is the tax that conscience pays to guilt." • When someone mentions the band ZZ Top, you probably think of a group of musicians with long beards. They don't all have beards, though; the drummer is clean-shaven as a matter of safety (imagine being in the middle of a drum solo and getting a stick caught in a long beard -- ouch!). Interestingly, the unbearded drummer's name is Frank Beard. • If you're like most people, you've probably never encountered a tziganologist. That is, unless you consort with those who study Hungarian gypsies. • Those who study such things say that the immortal bard, William Shakespeare, used a grand total of 17,677 words in his works. (That must have been a tedious calculation.) They also say that fully one-tenth of those words had never been used in writing before. • Unless you were around on April 17, 1964, you may not be aware of the hullabaloo caused by the introduction of the Ford Mustang. In Seattle, a truck driver was so distracted by a display of new Mustangs that he crashed his cement truck through the window of the dealership. In Chicago, so many people were trying to crowd into the cars in a showroom that the dealer had to lock all the vehicle doors. A dealer in New Jersey had only one Mustang, so he auctioned it off. The winner of the auction insisted on sleeping in his new car that night, just to make sure nobody else got it before his check cleared. • By the time he was 5 years old, 19th-century French composer Camille Saint-Saens was already composing waltzes. *** Thought for the Day: "Nothing great in the world has been accomplished without passion." -- Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
Apply in-branch today.
© 2019 King Features Synd., Inc.
Here for the Unexpected
No matter your needs, we’re here to make things easier. Apply at our Grand Forks Branch or online at servicecu.org/personalloan.
servicecu.org • 800.936.7730 Insured by NCUA *Rate shown is Annual Percentage Rate (APR). Accurate as of 3/1/19. The APR reflects a .75% reduction for active military direct deposit and selection of the automatic loan payment feature. (Example: 8.24% APR less .75% = 7.49% APR). Direct deposit of entire active military net pay to Service Credit Union (SCU) (not allotment) and automatic payment must be maintained to qualify for a rate reduction. Actual APR determined by the overall credit worthiness of each applicant. Please ask a loan officer for details regarding how your rate and credit limit is determined. Rates and terms are subject to change without notice. Subject to minimum rate limitations. Loan discount only applies to closed-end personal loans. Cannot be combined with any other personal loan offer. Offer available on SCU personal loans that qualify for additional funds of $1,000 or more. All eligible discounts are allowed. Must be a member of SCU or eligible for membership.
Grand Forks SCORE HAS MOVED TO THE CENTER FOR INNOVATION Free Consulting • Confidential • Business Plans
NEW LOCATION: 4200 James Ray Drive•Grand Forks (Off corner of 42nd St. & University Ave.) Park in visitor parking in front of center. Enter through front door. Office #202
Call: 746-5851 or email: email@example.com
• Website Design • Digital Marketing • Google Search Ads • Social Media Marketing • YouTube Advertising • Video Production • SmartSearch Directory
Chris Littlejohn Media Account Manager
Of Grand Forks • East Grand Forks
The Neatest Little Paper Ever Read® Contact me to schedule your ad in Tidbits!
Solution on Next Page
Oreo Cookie Day is celebrated every March 6, honoring the day that the treats were first marketed in 1912 by the National Biscuit Company (Nabisco). This week, Tidbits has all the info on these little sandwich cookies. • Nabisco produced the first Oreo cookies in their factory in the Chelsea Manhattan section of New York City factory. They were packaged in tin containers with glass tops and sold for 25 cents a pound. The first Oreo was sold in a Hoboken, New Jersey grocery store. • Oreo’s weren’t the first chocolate sandwich cookie. The Sunshine Company had already been baking Hydrox cookies for four years before the introduction of Oreo’s. The Hydrox cookie was a little crunchier and the filling was a little less sweet. • A lemon meringue variety was also offered at the Oreo debut, but was discontinued in the 1920s. • When Oreo’s were introduced, they were known as Oreo Biscuits. A name change to Oreo Sandwich came along in 1921, and another in 1948 to Oreo Crème Sandwich. Since 1974, they’ve been known as Oreo Chocolate Sandwich Cookie. • A regular Oreo cookie is 71% cookie and 29% cream, and contains 45 calories. Double Stuff Oreo’s, introduced in 1975, don’t really have double the filling. In 2013, a high school math school conducted an experiment in 2013 to determine the ratio, and found that Double Stuff have just 1.86 times the filling in the original. And Mega Stuff, which reportedly have three times the filling, have only 2.68 times the cream of a regular Oreo. • It takes about 59 minutes to make an Oreo. A rotary mold forms the cake dough into the round shape before the cookie enters a 300-foot-long oven. ...cont'd
• Oreo has had several advertising slogans over the years. Their first slogan and jingle was in 1950 – “Oh! Answer: Dell. Oh! Oreo.” During the 1980s, the company changed slogans five times, and inA VERY LARGE NUMBER cluded “For the Kid in All of Us,” “The One and •Only,” Edward Kasner mathematician. In 1938 “Who’s thewas Kida with the Oreo Cookie?”, he was asked to come up with a name for a “Oreo, the Original Twister,” and “America’s very large number: the numeral one, followed Best Loved Cookie.” Andasked in fact, is not by a hundred zeros. He his Oreo two young only America’s best-loved cookie,suggest. it’s the bestnephews what name they would selling cookie in the entire world, in • Nine-year-old Milton suggestedavailable a name more than countries, with over $2 character billion in out of the100 funnies. A cartoon strip annual sales. In the U.S. alone, about 20 named Barney was very popular. Miltonmillion chose Oreo’s are last consumed every day. Barney’s name for the number. DIFFERENCES: 1. Mechanic's shirt is different. 2. Boy is frowning. 3. Woman's earring is different. 4. Sign on gas pump has moved. 5. Headlight is bigger. 6. Woman's skirt is longer. © 2019 King Features Synd., All rights reserved.
Professional Home Inspection Service CERTIFIED INSPECTOR
Kasner announced the advertising new name for the big • •Also during the 1980’s, copywriter number in his next book, altering the spelling. Edna Robinson wrote the famous lyrics, “A the later, middle of an Oreo and Brin save •kid’ll Sixtyeat years Larry Page andfirst, Sergey developed a new internet search the chocolate cookie outside forengine. last.” Other Since searchOreo’s engines searched each webpage and 2004, slogan has been “Milk’s Favorite ranked them according to how many times a Cookie.” specific term appeared on them, but Page and • The name their search engine Oreo Brin designed to searchwas for trademarked eight the specific term and then find outjust how many days introduclinks after there were that led back toitsthat page, which resulted in a better search engine. tion. There are several theories as to how that the • They decided they needed a name Oreo got itshow name. Somewebsites say that because the reflected many the search engine packaging was searching. They the tookcookie the name original was gold, took Edward veryword largefornumber, only itsofname fromKasner’s the French gold, “oro.” they misspelled it slightly, so it ended up being Others contend that the two “O’s” represent spelled way isthe the roundexactly wafers, the and same the “RE” thecartoon cream. character Barney spelled his last name. What’s Yet another theory insists that the names it called? (Answer at bottom of page) comes from the genus of the laurel wreath imprinted COMPUTER on the original cookie, theFACTS Latin word “Oreo•daphne.” In 1981 Bill Gates said, “640 kb of memory ought to be enough for anybody.” • In 2018, Google purchased the former Nabisco • Moore’s Law states that computer performance factory for $2.4 billion. The street where the doubles every 18 to 24 months, and ever since building stands on Ninth 1971, this has been true. Avenue between 15th and 16th Streets is known as “Oreo Way” in • HP, Google, Microsoft, and Apple were all commemoration of the cookie. started in garages. Answer: Google, from googol.
1st Quarter 2015 Week 2 Ave. NW 2105 Central East Grand Forks, MN
Jan 4 - Jan. 10
EVERY WEEK - THURS • FRI • SAT 10:00 AM 8 - 6:00 PM Page SPACES AVAILABLE
1. Pink eye 2. The white of the eye. 3. Macular degeneration
Hazel The pupil “Say Anything” Survivor, in 1982
Residential & Commercial • Locally Owned
PEACE OF MIND Security System
701-772-6691 • 1550 47th Ave. S., GF www.stonessecuritysystems.com
Sports Answers 1. 11 by GF Cen- 4. George Brett tral in 1970 (vs. (3,154 hits), Wade Boggs Fargo North). (3,010 hits) 2. Five times (1961-64, and 5. Lexi Thompson (6 yrs.) 1969) 6. Nolan Ryan 3. Houston’s with seven James Harden no-hitters. in 2016-17
THANKS FOR READING TIDBITS!
24HR EMERGENCY SERVICE
4. 5. 6. 7.
• Residential • Commercial • Industrial
• Mobile Home Parks
(701) 746-8947 1-800-438-7686 • www.rotorooter.com
Please Recycle this copy of Tidbits. Share it with a Friend.
$50 OFF *Limited
Edge 2x Reg. $569.00
Flex 2 Reg. $499.00
Edge 1x Reg. $439.00
INSTALLED* • 1-Mile Range • 2-Way Feedback • Inverted LCD Screen • Includes 2-Way & 1-Way remote
• 3000 ft. Range • 2-Way Feedback • Includes 2-Way & 1-Way remote
• 1-Mile Range • Includes Two 1-Way remotes
*Most Makes & Models
PROFESSIONAL INSTALL TEAM
You’re Never Out of Range Whether you’re at the mall, the game, or the airport, you’ll always be able to start your car using the DroneMobile app.
30 Days FREE Basic Service
With purchase of Drone Mobile
Receive Detailed Alerts: When your car is broken into.
When your door is opened
Remote Start and Drone Mobile Package available at Special Pricing. Ask your Accessories Professional at Rydell’s.
When your engine is started.
Heated Seat Kits • Heats Up in Seconds • Even Heat Distribution • Safe & Durable
Floor Liners • Most advanced floor protection available today. • Perfect fit. • Rigid core for strength. • Surface friction to the carpet. • Lower reservoir that channels fluids and debris away from shoes and clothing.
INSTALLED* *Per seat
Reg. $285.00 *For a Limited Time
Low Can be Installed in Front & Back Seats
*Most Makes & Models
Large Inventory on Hand
*Most Makes & Models
WE INSTALL: • Auto Starts • Truck Bedliners • Running Boards / Nerf Bars • Bed Rails • Tonneau Covers • Chrome Accessories • Rims & Tires • WeatherTech • Window Tinting • Hitches • Grille Guards • DVD Headrests • & Much More!
2700 South Washington St. Grand Forks, ND
Accessories Dept.: Jason Kowalski 701-757-5912 or AJ Preston 701-757-5969
"Eyes," "Madam C.J. Walker" and "Oreo's"