N e at e s t
Little Paper Ever Read®
LES • PUZZ A I V I R S •T FACT • FUN January 31, 2019
Of Grand Forks • East Grand Forks Published by: Wick Publications
Big savings Big savings for safe for safe drivers. We Weprotect protectit.it. drivers. You live it. You live it.
Get a discount up to 50%. here to help life Get a discount up 50%. I’mI’m here to help life gotoright – I can help lower your premium ™ ™right I’m here help go – go right - so you you cantolower enjoy while I .can through Drive Safe &it,life Save Iso can help your premium so you can enjoy it, while ™I ® talk help protect it. Let’s about enjoy it, while I help DriveState Safe &. Save . Getthrough to a better FGetGet help protect Let’s your life insurance options. ®talk about Bus: 701-746-0495 . to aFarm. better State State protect it.it.Let’s talk CALL TODAY. options. your ME life insurance email@example.com Grand Forks, ND 58201 CALL Getabout State Farm. ME TODAY. your life insurCALL ME TODAY. 701-746-0495 CALL ME options. TODAY. ance sharonopdahl.com CALL ME TODAY.
Sharon Opdahl, Agent 2534 17th Avenue South,Agent Suite F Sharon Opdahl, Sharon Opdahl Grand Forks, ND 58201 Sharon Opdahl, Agent 2534 17th Avenue South, Suite F Bus: 2534701-746-0495 17th Avenue Suite F Agent Grand Forks, ND South, 58201 Sharon Opdahl, Agent firstname.lastname@example.org Grand Forks, 58201 2534 17th AvenueND South, Suite F Bus: 701-746-0495 Bus:Forks, 701-746-0495 Grand ND 58201 email@example.com 2534 17th Ave. S. • Suite firstname.lastname@example.org
Issue # 1,104
TIDBITS ADMIRES ®
Different Name, Same Superior Service!
by Janet Spencer
It’s been estimated that a typical dog is about as smart as a two-year-old child. Come along with Tidbits as we test the intelligence of dogs!
• In a test, a white block indicated a place where there was food hidden, while black blocks showed places where there was no food. In a series of trials, it took Malamutes over 100 tries to figure out the meaning of the different blocks, State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company to the point where they would made a beeline 1301900 State Farm Indemnity Company, Bloomington, IL State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company 1301900 State Farm Indemnity Company, Bloomington, IL for the white block and ignore the black blocks. However, wolves learned in only fifty tries. • In another test, dogs were placed in a maze that had a central point with eight arms radiatCarpet Cleaning www.elitecarpetsgf.com ing outwards. A treat was placed at the end of each of the eight arms. Would dogs be able to Carpet Cleaning • Carpet Cleaning remember which arms they had already visSPECIAL! ited once? Or would they go down the same • Upholstery $99 Cleaning arms over and over again? It turned out that 1 Bedrooms, 1 Living Room, 1 Hallway dogs were efficient at finding the treats 83% • Water F O RK S • E AST F O RK S Not validG withRAN anyDother offer. Extraction Expires 2-28-19 of the time. However, rats subjected to the Residential & Publications same test were accurate 90% of the time. Commercial • Engineers constructing a natural gas pipeline were worried about persistent leaks that they could not locate because the pipe was buried 701-775-8500 up to 40 ft. deep. Trained dogs were called in, and they found and identified over 150 leaks. State Farm Life Insurance Company (Not licensed in MA, NY or WI) State Farm Life and Accident Assurance Company (Licensed in NY and WI) 1601487 State Farm Life InsuranceBloomington, IL licensed in MA, NY or WI) Company (Not State Farm Life and Accident Assurance Company (Licensed in NY and WI) 1601487 Bloomington, IL
$79 CALL NOW! Expires Feb. 28, 2019
701-775-5522 Grand Forks, ND
Turn the page for more!
WANT TO PUBLISH A TIDBITS IN YOUR AREA? Call 1.800.523.3096 www.tidbitsweekly.com
A dentist with 2 years of additional training beyond dental school to specialize in dental care for infants, children & adolescents. Your child will love coming to see us!
Chad Hoge, DDS, MS
• REPAIR • REFRESH • RECLAIM File your taxes & apply File your taxes & apply for an Easy Call toAdvance learn about for an Easy Advance Loss File Hair your taxes & applyTherapy! *
up to up to up to $ $ 33,500 ,250 250 3,250 *
for an Easy Advance*
701-739-2403 2600 DeMers Ave. Grand Forks, ND
File your taxes & apply for an Easy Advance*
We provide the opportunity for success!
Hair Loss Hospital
Most within 24 hoursTO Most No Fees Most withinor 24Interest hours within 24 hours No Fees or Interest No Fees or Interest
ORGANIC SALON SPA
In 24 hours or less.
720 S Washington St 866-871-1040 LibertyTax.com 866-871-1040 LibertyTax.com (Nest to Italian Moon) libertytax Y O U D O L I F E . W E D O TA X E S. 866-871-1040 libertytax O U D O L I F E . W E D O TA X E S. GrandLibertyTax.com Forks, ND Y58201 libertytax YOU DO LIFE. (701) 746-1750
720 S. Washington St. 3350 3350 S Columbia Rd S Columbia Rd
S Washington 720720 S Washington St St (Nest to Italian Moon)Moon) (Nest to Italian Grand Forks, ND 58201 Grand Forks, ND 58201 866-871-1040 LibertyTax.com 720 S Washington St (701) 746-1750 (701) 746-1750 (Nest to Italian Moon)
to Hornbachers) (Next to Hornbachers) (Next to Italian (Next Moon)
Grand Forks, ND 58201 746-1750 Grand Forks, ND(701) 58201 (701) 746-1750 Grand Forks, ND 58201 701-746-1750 Grand Forks, ND 58201
3350 S Columbia Rd (Next to Hornbachers) Grand Forks, ND 58201
(701) (701) 746-1750 *To be eligible for the $3,250 loan amount, your expected Federal refund less authorized fees746-1750 must be at least $5,095. Actual loan amount may vary. An Easy Advance (EA) is a loan *To be eligible $3,250 amount, your expected Federal refund lessFDIC, authorized fees must be at least Actual associated loan amount vary. AnisEasy Advance (EA) is a loan secured by yourfor taxthe refund and isloan offered by Republic Bank & Trust Company, member to eligible taxpayers. There are no$5,095. fees or interest withmay the EA. Loan secured your tax refund and is EA offered by Republic Bank & Trust Company, FDIC, toofeligible taxpayers. arefornothose feesfiling or interest associated with the EA. Loan is subject toby underwriting and approval. proceeds are typically available within 24 hours member of IRS acceptance tax return (or within There 24 hours before the IRS start date) however,toif underwriting direct deposit isand selected it mayEA take additionalare timetypically for your available financial institution to post theoffunds your account. your Liberty Tax office to learnfor about the cost, subject approval. proceeds within 24 hours IRS to acceptance of Visit tax (or within hours those filing before IRSamount start date) *Tooptions. be eligible for the $3,250 loan amount, your expected Federal refund lessreturn authorized fees24 must be at least $5,095. Actualthe loan may vary. An timing and availability of all filing and product Valid at participating locations. Valid Jan. 2-Feb. 28, 2018. however, if direct deposit is selected it may take additional time for your financial institution to post the funds to your account. Visit your Liberty Tax office to learn about the cost,
*An Easy Advance is a loan secured by and paid back with your tax refund and is offered by *An Easy Advance a loan secured by and paid back your tax refundLoan and is offered by are RepublicisBank & Trust Company, member FDIC,with to eligible taxpayers. amount options Republic Bank &on Trust Company, member FDIC, to eligible taxpayers. Loan amount options are based your expected Federal refund less authorized fees. Ifmember approved foreligible an Easy Advance, secured by your tax refund and is offered by Republic Bank & Trust Company, FDIC, to taxpayers. There are no fees or interest associate timing and availability of all on filingyour product options. Valid atand participating locations. Valid 2-Feb. 28, 2018. based expected Federal refund less authorized fees. If approved for anacceptance Easy Advance, aandFinance may apply depending on your loan amount. Loan to underwriting subject toCharge underwriting approval. EA proceeds areJan. typically available within 24 hoursis ofsubject IRS of tax return (or within 24 hours for those fil if direct deposit is selectedproceeds it on may your take additional time foravailable your Loan financialwithin post theof funds account. Visit your Liberty Tax offic and however, approval. Easy Advance are typically 24tohours IRSto your accepa Finance Charge may apply depending loan amount. isinstitution subject to underwriting timing and return availability ofwithin all filing24 andhours productfor options. Valid at participating locations. Validdate Jan. 2-Feb. 28, 2018. tance of tax or those ﬁling before the IRS start however, if direct and approval. Easy Advance proceeds are typically available within 24 hours of IRS acceptance deposit is selected it may time for ﬁnancial to ifpost the funds of tax return or within 24 hours for take thoseadditional filing before theyour IRS start dateinstitution however, direct to your account. Visit your Liberty Tax ofﬁce to learn about the cost, timing and availability deposit is selected may take additional time for your financial institution to 2-Feb. post the of all ﬁlingitand product options. Valid at participating locations. Valid Jan. 28,funds 2019.to your account. Visit your Liberty Tax office to learn about the cost, timing and availability of all filing and product options. Valid at participating locations. Valid Jan. 2-Feb. 28, 2019.
Mikala Hoge, DDS
3rd Month Rent
Expires 2.28.19 Some restrictions apply.
Parkwood | Independent Living & Assisted Living 749 S. 30th St., Grand Forks | 701.757.1519 edgewoodseniorliving.com
BETTER HEARING. BETTER LIVING.
746.7000 GRAND FORKS
Quiz Bits 1. 2. 3. 4.
5. What automaker sold a line of cars called the Fairlane? 6. Which kids’ snack, contained What percent of dog bite vicin a box with a string handle, tims are under the age of ten? was first marketed in 1902? What percent are boys? 7. In which city did Princess Do male dogs or female dogs Diana tragically die when fleebite more often? ing the paparazzi in 1997? T or F: The world’s most 8. Approximately, how many expensive dog sold for $1.5 times does the average human million. heart beat each day? T or F: Most dalmatian puppies TRIVIA are born with solid white coats. SPONSORED BY:
Valley Memorial Homes SPRING
CRAFT & BAKE SALE
Valley Eldercare Center 2900 14th Ave. S., GF Friday, February 8th 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
2-LOCATIONS: • Columbia Mall
Open Fri.-Sat.-Sun only
• 2100 S. Columbia Rd.
Hours: M-F 10:30-6:30 • Sat. 10-5
Published Every Thursday!
CANINE IQ (continued):
• John Pilley adopted a border collie puppy named Chaser and decided to see how many words she could learn. Every day he taught her one or two new words, mostly relating to various toys. Was there a limit to the number of words she could learn? Would she forget old words as new words crowded her brain? As a retired psychology professor, Pilley wanted to know. • He would hold up the object, name it, and then command Chaser to find it or to hide it. Over the course of three years, Chaser learned the names of over 800 stuffed toys, 116 different balls, 26 Frisbees, and over 100 various plastic objects. There were no duplicate items; each thing differed in size, weight, texture, design, and material. She was tested every day, often out of sight of Pilley, to be sure she wasn’t getting subconscious hints from him. • Even after learning the names of over 1,000 objects, she never forgot a word, and never slowed the rate at which she could learn new words. She could also tell the difference between items that were her toys and items that were not toys. At times he would tell Chaser to fetch an item that the dog had never before seen, and whose name was unknown to the dog. Chaser would use her powers of deduction to identify the correct item: “There’s only one item here that I don’t know the name of, so that must be what he wants.” • Another researcher named Juliane Kaminski went one step further with her border collie, Rico. After Rico had learned the names of hundreds of toys and other objects, Kaminski showed the dog either a photo or a drawing of the specific item she wanted Rico to fetch for her. Rico understood the connection between the depiction of the item and the real thing and brought the correct item time after time. ...continued
REMOTE AUTO STARTS Start, Track, & Control Your Car • Up to From 3,000 ft. Anywhere, range Right from your Phone.
Deluxe 2-Way Remote Start
We carry Meyer plows for Residental and Commercial use, and a wide variety of Salt Spreaders.
All-Weather Floor Mats
Customized to fit your specific vehicle. Deeply sculpted channels designed to trap water, road salt, mud and sand. These mats are engineered to prevent curling & cracking in sub-zero weather.
Low-Profile Roll-Up Tonneau Cover
6105 Gateway Drive • Grand Forks, ND 701-746-0083 • 800-279-7492 • Hours: M-F 9-6 and Sat. 9-3
GIFT CARDS MAKE A GREAT GIFT
0% FINANCING Up to 18 Months
See Store for Details
www.newvisiontruckaccessories.com H Professional Installation on All Products we sell
EAST GRAND FORKS
AMERICAN LEGION • POST 157 •
Book Our BALLROOM:
• Weddings • Graduation • Parties • Meetings • & More
PULL Thursdays: 7:00 pm TA B S Sundays: 1:30 pm 1009 CENTRAL AVE. • EAST GRAND FORKS • 218-773-1129
CANINE IQ (continued):
• Dogs have different growls depending on the situation. A “don’t steal my food” growl is different from a “who is that stranger?” growl. Researchers recorded different kinds of growls, and then played them for other dogs under various circumstances. When dogs were approaching a juicy bone and heard the “don’t steal my food growl” they backed off far more regularly than when they heard the “who is that stranger?” growl. • Similarly, they recorded the barking of a dog who was bored, then recorded barking when the dog was alarmed at a stranger. When these recordings were played for other dogs, they ignored the “I’m lonely” barks but reacted to the “stranger approaching” barks. • Dogs were introduced to two boxes that were identical in all but one respect: one box had a string of bells attached to it that rang when jiggled. The other box had a string of bells whose clappers had been removed so they made no sound. The dogs were tested by watching a human put a treat under both boxes, and then the dogs were told they were not allowed to snitch the treats. As long as another human remained in the room, no dogs bothered the treats. But when the humans left the room, the dogs went to steal a treat, and all of them swiped the treat from the box with the silent bells, showing that they understood who was within hearing distance and how they might respond.
• Dogs were placed in a room with two people, both of whom had treats to share. One person had a gag over their mouth, while the other was blindfolded. Which person would the dogs go to in order to beg for a treat? Not surprisingly, they went to the person with a gag and ignored the person with a blindfold, demonstrating that they are aware they need eye contact for non-verbal communication. Seeing-eye dogs communicate with their blind masters by licking their hand. ...continued
Be Watching for the
NEW Directory 701-738-0303 701-388-5026
Of Grand Forks • East Grand Forks
Grand Forks’ Only LOCAL WEEKLY Publication! Wick Publications P.O. Box 12861 Grand Forks, ND 58208
Chadwick Parkinson 701-740-0968 email@example.com
TIME FOR AN
Call or Stop By Today to Schedule Your Auto Start Installation!
Gift Certificates Available www.TriixCustoms.com
1600 47th Ave. S. - Suite C • Grand Forks • 701-757-3075
Magnetic Interior Storm Windows $3.00 Appetizers • M-F 2:00 - 6:00 pm •
FREE Fun-Bus Rides 21 & Up
to All UND Men’s Hockey Home Games
• Virtually Eliminates Condensation and Frost • Lower Heat bills up to 50% • Fraction the Cost of Replacement Windows • Install & Remove in Seconds • Keeps drafts, dust & noise out • Save Money and Energy
• Custom Made to fit almost any window or patio door
s on op ati St ens nd Co
NEW YEAR’S SPECIAL
Must Show Coupon • Exp. 2-15-19
Check out our New Showroom at:
4224 Gateway Dr. • Grand Forks
NEW Casino Machines BOOK YOUR PARTIES HERE!
701-757-1091 • 1210 S. Washington St. • Grand Forks, ND
4. Which two NFL teams had the best record for away games in 2018? 1. How many of the top five spots for intentional walks 5. Which NFL team was the only one to finish with a for a season does Barry perfect regular-season Bonds hold? home record in 2018? 2. Entering, 2019, Washing6. Did more NFL teams finton’s Max Scherzer had ish with a winning record struck out 250 or more or losing record in 2018? batters for how many 7. Who are the only two consecutive seasons? Russian-born winners of 3. Since the 1970 merger, six the NHL’s Conn Smythe rookies have led the NFL Trophy (MVP of the in rushing for a season. Name four of them. Stanley Cup playoffs)?
.COM Of Grand Forks • East Grand Forks FULL FAMILY CARE Infants to Adults
TREATING: • Neck Pain • Low Back Pain • Headaches • Sciatica • Sports Injuries • DOT Physical-Certified
2840 19th Ave. S. • Grand Forks
Dr. John Fulp, D.C.
Dr. Marshal Pederson, D.C.
2600 DeMers Ave. Grand Forks, ND
Online Ordering & Daily Specials
Open: Fri-Sat 11am-2am • Sun-Thurs 11am-Midnight Expanded Grand Forks Delivery & Now East Grand Forks
TWO LARGE 1-TOPPING PIZZAS
LARGE BEEF TOSTADA PIZZA
Must mention coupon when ordering. Not valid with other offers. Expires 2-28-19
Must mention coupon when ordering. Not valid with other offers. Expires 2-28-19
*Answer located further back in this issue.
Would You Like Tidbits in Your waiting area?
It’s FREE! Call Tidbits Today! 701-740-0968
• On Feb. 6, 1820, the first organized immigration of freed slaves to Africa from the United States departs New York on a journey to Sierra Leone, in West Africa. The expedition was partially funded by the U.S. Congress, which appropriated $100,000. • On Feb. 19, 1861, Jefferson Davis, a former U.S. senator from Mississippi, learns he has been selected president of the new Confederate States of America. It was not a position Davis wanted, but he accepted it out of a sense of duty. • On Feb. 9, 1900, the silver trophy known today as the Davis Cup is first put up for competition when American collegian Dwight Filley Davis challenges British tennis players to come across the Atlantic and compete against his Harvard team. In 1904, Belgium and France entered the competition. • On Feb. 8, 1924, America's first execution by lethal gas is carried out in Nevada. The executed man was Tong Lee, who was convicted of murdering a rival Chinese gang member. Lethal gas was seen as a more humane method of carrying out death sentences. • On Feb. 4, 1938, Walt Disney releases "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs," the first animated feature to be produced in English and in Technicolor. Naysayers warned him that audiences, especially adults, wouldn't sit through a featurelength cartoon fantasy about dwarfs. The film was a smash hit. • On Feb. 7, 1964, Pan Am Yankee Clipper flight 101 from London Heathrow lands at New York's Kennedy Airport -- and "Beatlemania" arrives. The Beatles were greeted by 3,000 screaming fans who caused a near riot. • On Feb. 5, 1994, Byron de la Beckwith is convicted of the assassination of civil-rights leader Medger Evers 31 years earlier, ending the lengthiest murder case in American history. Two earlier juries refused to convict. The third sent Beckwith to jail for life. © 2019 Hearst Communications, Inc. All Rights Reserved
We cherish those who served. In-Home Senior Care Services for Veterans • Personal care
• Dementia & Alzheimer's care
• Companionship & housekeeping
• Respite care
• Safety solutions
• Private duty nursing
2100 S. Columbia Rd., #116, Grand Forks, ND 58201 Home + Life + Care I grandforks-120.ComfortKeepers.com © 2019 CK Franchising, Inc. Most offices independently owned and operated.
Tidbits is Available at:
All Grand Forks, East Grand Forks & Crookston locations of: L
ocated o n publicatio the racks nea n rt Exit doors he !
Cold Days Hot Buys! Genesis SE-330
Home Owned & Operated Since 1939!
#61032201 (7301-4337) Red
Smoking Chips, Chunks, and Pellets © 2019 King Features Syndicate. All rights reserved.
#44010001 (7301-4120) Black
Hwy. 81 North • Grand Forks, ND • Hours: M-F 8-8 • Sat. 8-6 • Sun. 12-6
CANINE IQ (continued):
• Most dogs are unable to pass a simple test where they were placed behind a barrier with a treat on the other side. There was a hole in the barrier they could pass through to get the treat, which they learned quite quickly. But when the hole in the barrier was shifted to a different place, dogs continued to return to the place where the hole had been previously, rather than go to the place where the hole currently appeared. It took several trials before they learned the new position of the hole. Wolves had no issue in seeing where the gap in the barrier was located. • In a study, a man stood on a street corner, smiling at women, telling them they were pretty, and asking for their phone number. If he stood on the street corner alone, he was successful in getting their phone number 9% of the time. But if he had a dog with him on a leash, his success rate jumped to 28%. Then he tried it different ways: dressed nattily with the dog in a matching cute collar and leash, or dressed in rags with the dog in a spiked collar with only a frayed rope for a leash. The manner of dress didn’t make much of a difference, but further experiments showed that a cute golden retriever puppy increased the interaction level over a big full-grown Rottweiler.
Get Paid Up to Two Days Early.* Focus on your family. We’ll focus on the finances. Open an SCU account with direct deposit, and get paid up to two days early.
Learn more at our Grand Forks Branch or online at scu.com/earlypay.
scu.com • 800.936.7730
• Experiments when people have reared wolf pups like dogs have shown that the wolves will bond with the human and even learn basic dog commands when they are young, but will revert to wolf-like behavior as adults, becoming difficult or impossible to control, while also threatening to kill other animals such as cats and chickens, threatening people outside of their “pack,” and often even stalking children as if they were stalking prey. When removed from human contact for even a short period, they will revert to their wolflike ways almost immediately.
© 2019 King Features Synd., Inc.
Stay Calm, You’re Covered With Us.
Insured by NCUA *Immediate credit of your direct deposit to your SCU account up to two (2) business days early is based upon when we receive your payroll from your employer. SCU cannot assume any liability for not depositing these funds to your account early
*Answer located further back in this issue.
KING C R O S S W O R D
From payroll and bookkeeping to expert tax preparation and advice, H&R Block is ready to work for you. For the year-round services you need and the one-on-one attention you deserve, partner with H&R Block Business Services.
Call today to make an appointment.
2715 S WASHINGTON ST GRAND FORKS, ND 58201 | 701-746-0425 2600 Demers Ave Grand Forks, ND 58201 | 701-746-7361
Contact your local agent • Medicare Contact your local agent for for more information: Coverage moreinformation: information: t for more • Group <Agent Name> Medical AGENCY <Agency Name> LifeINSURANCE • Medicare • Group Plans • Health • Long Term Care Life Ins. • <Address> Rick Asche • 701-772-1138
H2409, H2410, H2450_2058 (01-2009) <City, ST ZIP> <Phone> 1521 24th Ave. S. • Grand Forks, ND <Hours of Operation>
©2009 Medica. Medica® contracts with the federal government.
Does not include audit, attest or other services for which a license is required. OBTP#B13696 ©2017 HRB Tax Group, Inc.
ON REMOTE START
©2009 Medica. Medica® contracts with the federal government.
S U D O K U
by Linda Thistle
009 Medica. Medica® contracts with the federal government.
Place a number in the empty boxes in such a way that each row across, each column down and each small 9-box square contains all of the numbers from one to nine.
*on Select Models
SoundDecisionND.com • 701-738-0713 • 1923 DeMers Ave., Grand Forks
Lake of the Woods Ice Fishing
DIFFICULTY THIS WEEK: HH Moderate
Challenging HOO BOY!
© 2019 King Features Synd., Inc.
• Day & Sleeper Fish Houses • Individual, Family, & Groups Welcomed • Track Transportation to/from Fish House • Great Fishing & Bait Included! Rod Thompson •218-407-1265 • twinislandsleepers.com
• In 1971, workers in the town of Changsha in the province of Hunan in China were digging out an area to build a new bomb shelter next to a hospital when they encountered something remarkable. They called in over 1,500 high school students to help excavate the discovery, and then they called in archaeologists. They had discovered the tomb of Xin Zhui, her husband Li Cang, and a third person thought to be their son. • Of the three bodies, Xin Zhui’s was in extraordinarily remarkable condition. Because Li Cang had ruled over the fiefdom of Dai during the Han dynasty of ancient China, Xin Zhui’s mummified remains were dubbed “Lady Dai.” • Tests revealed that Lady Dai had died in the year 163 BC, so her remains were 2,135 years old at the time they were uncovered. Her body was incredible: Her skin was soft, her tendons flexible, her organs intact, her hair clasped, and even her fingerprints were still distinct. Her eyelashes and even her nose hairs could still be seen. The blood still in her veins was shown to be Type A. Even the vagus nerve in her lungs, which was as thin as a human hair, was intact and identifiable. • She had been buried 39 feet deep inside a succession of four caskets made of cyprus, each highly decorated and all sealed tight. Five tons of charcoal surrounded the tomb, which was buried under three feet of white clay, which kept oxygen and water out of the grave. The corpse was wrapped in 20 layers of silk bound with silk ribbons. And she was submerged in 21 gallons of a highly acidic reddish liquid of unknown origin. Test showed it was high in magnesium and salt.
• Thousands of artifacts were buried alongside the mummified remains of Lady Dai: over a hundred garments made of silk, 182 dishes made of lacquer, assorted tapestries, exquisite jewelry, 162 carved figurines intended to represent her servants, musical instruments, cosmetics, toiletries, and many preserved delicacies along with a list of her favorite recipes. • It took more than a year to completely excavate the site. Plans for a bomb shelter were halted. • An autopsy revealed that she suffered greatly from a variety of ailments, which would have caused enormous suffering in the years preceding her death: internal parasites, clogged arteries, diabetes, high cholesterol, liver problems, gallstones, and a back problem that probably limited her mobility. • The immediate cause of death was a heart attack presumably brought on by obesity, lack of exercise, and an overly indulgent diet. • Melon seeds found in her stomach indicated that she died within an hour of consuming her last meal. She most likely died in the summer when melons were available. She was about 50 years old when she died, having outlived both her husband and her son, whose remains buried nearby had deteriorated. • As soon as her body was exposed to air, it began to deteriorate quickly. It was preserved once again and placed on display. Her body and belongings are currently under the care of the Hunan Museum, which has allowed occasional international exhibits. • Lady Dai’s body and tomb are considered one of the most important archaeological discoveries of the 20th century. She has become as famous in China as Tutankhamun is in Egypt.
THANKS FOR READING TIDBITS!
Here is pricing for a few of our more popular ad sizes: Of Grand Forks • East Grand Forks
THE AREA’S BEST ADVERTISING VALUE 1. It’s a FREE publication for the public. 2. Every issue of Tidbits is available for a full 3.
week; so your ad gets seen for 7 days! Tidbits is a smaller publication which gives your ad a great chance of being noticed. Plus, every page is designed to contain extra content such as trivia and puzzles to entertain readers on each page longer. People love Tidbits because it’s filled with content that is upbeat and fun....not with “gloom and doom” news of the day. Tidbits appeals to just about everyone!
8,000 Copies of Tidbits are published every Thursday and distributed to over 120 locations in Grand Forks, GFAFB, East Grand Forks & Crookston.
Ad Size (inches)
2x2 2x3 Front 2x3 Inside 4x2 4x3 4x4 1/4 Page (4x5) 1/2 Page Full Page
1-12 weeks $40.00 $60.00 $50.00 $60.00 $80.00 $88.00 $95.00 $165.00 $265.00
13+ weeks $31.00 $51.00 $41.00 $51.00 $66.00 $75.00 $82.00 $137.00 $223.00
*All prices listed are per week.
An area favorite for over 20 YEARS!
For more information:
Call 701.740.0968 or go to www.TidbitsGF.com
Solution on Next Page
PLEASE TELL OUR ADVERTISERS YOU SAW THEIR AD IN TIDBITS!
King Features Weekly Service ©2019 King Features Syndicate, Inc. All rights reserved.
© 2019 King Features Synd., Inc.
(Answers located further back)
January 21, 2019
• Keep a cutting board in place with a lightly damp kitchen towel underneath. It won’t slide. Cutting a juicy fruit? Even better. The towel catches drips off the side. • Soften butter in a jiffy without a microwave. Cut into pats and let sit for 10-15 minutes. The smaller the pat, the quicker it softens. • “Overwhelmed by paper clutter? Using a plastic file box, gather papers in file folders, simply filling up each folder before moving to the next. Then, go folder to folder, and decide what should be kept or tossed/shred/ recycled. You should be left with a much smaller amount, which you can file with other like items.” — A.N. in New Hampshire • “Store your kids’ favorite breakfast cereal in a large jar with a measuring scoop. This will help children be more independent and stop them from pouring too much in a bowl — and spilling cereal all over the floor.” — R.Y. in Virginia • Quick pickled vegetables can make a perfect little side dish or even garnish that makes you look like a fancy cook. Just add a bit of salt and sugar to white vinegar, then add some thinly sliced veggies — carrots, cucumber, cabbage, beans or squash. Let sit for 20 minutes or more, then drain and serve. • “What I’m loving right now: marinated fresh cheese! Slice or chunk fresh mozzarella or goat cheese, and throw it in a bowl with some olive oil, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, fresh herbs or what have you. The longer it sits, the yummier it gets. It doesn’t last long around here!” — V.R. in Florida Send your tips to Now Here’s a Tip, 628 Virginia Drive, Orlando, FL 32803.
d Cities Gam n ra G by Samantha Weaver
• It was Leroy "Satchel" Paige, arguably the best pitcher in baseball history, who made the following sage observation: "Never look back. Something might be gaining on you." • The "Harley" in "Harley-Davidson" comes from William Harley, one of the motorcycle company's three founders. His is a common surname in England with roots in Old English, in which language it means, literally, "pile of rocks." • A narwhal's horn isn't a horn; it's a tooth -- the left front tooth, to be specific. As such, it's considered to be a tusk, making the narwhal the world's only animal with a tusk that's straight rather than curved. The tusk was highly prized in the Middle Ages, fetching as much as 10 times its weight in gold for those fortunate enough to have one to sell. • Those who study such things say that millions of trees are planted accidentally when absent-minded squirrels forget where they buried their nuts. • Charlie Chan, the fictional Honolulu detective, was created in 1919 by novelist Earl Derr Biggers. The books featuring Chan became so popular that the character made the leap to radio, movies and television. Even though more than a dozen actors have portrayed the detective over the years, not one of them has been of Chinese ancestry. • A scorpion can live for an entire year without eating. • In the 1830s you could give someone a "blizzard." Back then, of course, the word wasn't referring to a snowstorm; rather, that phrase meant to give someone a piece of one's mind. • In the original calculations made by NASA experts, a landing on the moon was thought to have only a 5 percent chance of success. *** Thought for the Day: "One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him." -- Chinese proverb © 2019 King Features Synd., Inc.
120 N. Wash. St. Grand Forks
BUY 2 BOARD GAMES GET 1 FREE
Free Board Game must be equal or lesser value of 2 purchased. Exp. 2-15-19
• Comics • Trading Cards • Warhammer • Board Games • RPGs • Dice • Gaming Rooms
When You Drop, Swap & Go! 20# Propane Exchange
$18.99 before mail-in-rebate
20# Cylinder Filled
$47.99 before mail-in-rebate
Hwy. 81 North • Grand Forks, ND • Hours: M-F 8-8 • Sat. 8-6 • Sun. 12-6
Would You Like Tidbits in Your Waiting Area? Call Tidbits @ 772-8239 It’s FREE and your customers will love it!
Short-Term Care & Rehabilitation • Recuperate • Get Strong • Get Back to Everyday Life We offer specialized services in:
Physical, Occuaptional and Speech Therapy, along with Skilled Nursing Services To learn more about rehabilitation and other services we offer please contact us.
(218) 281-3424 • 516 Walsh Street. • Crookston, MN
Grand Forks SCORE HAS MOVED TO THE CENTER FOR INNOVATION Free Consulting • Confidential • Business Plans
NEW LOCATION: 4200 James Ray Drive•Grand Forks (Off corner of 42nd St. & University Ave.) Park in visitor parking in front of center. Enter through front door. Office #202
Call: 746-5851 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Find healing and freedom from life’s hurts, hang-ups and habits.
A Christ-centered recovery ministry!
1601 17th Ave S Grand Forks ND 701.772.1884 Thursdays @ 6:30pm
Solution on Next Page
• Mylar is an extraordinarily strong polyester film developed by DuPont in the early 1950s. By the 1970s, it had become DuPont’s best-selling film. • Technically speaking, Mylar is biaxially-oriented polyethylene terephthalate. Mylar is an American brand name; other countries call the same product BoPET from the initials of its chemical composition. Basically, it’s a polyester film made from stretching its components of polyethylene terephthalate until the individual molecules line up and lock into place. This gives the material extraordinary tensile strength. It’s nearly impossible to tear or stretch a sheet of Mylar. • Mylar cannot be torn or chipped, but it can be bent and folded. It will not deteriorate with age. It can bond to most materials such as wood, metal, cloth, paper, leather, and plastics. It’s heat resistant and can withstand temperatures from -80F to 300F. Mylar is impervious to chemical reactions; will not conduct electricity; and has excellent insulating properties. It forms an impenetrable barrier for moisture and air. • All of these phenomenal properties make Mylar attractive to companies who package food. The primary enemies of food preservation are insects, temperature swings, moisture, and air. Mylar helps protect against all of these: bugs cannot chew through it. It helps protect the food from temperature changes. Most importantly, it keeps humidity and oxygen out much more efficiently than regular plastic does. Plastic baggies “breathe”; Mylar does not. • Mylar is used in thousands of ways in our modern world. When bonded to a thin sheet of aluminum, it forms a metallic material that reflects 98% of the light that hits it, while also reflecting heat. ...continued
MIRACLE MYLAR (cont.)
DIFFERENCES: 1. Pajamas are different. 2. Moon is higher. 3. Hair is different. 4. One picture is missing. 5. Headboard is lower. © 2019 King Features Synd., All rights reserved.
Professional Home Inspection Service CERTIFIED INSPECTOR
• The familiar “space blankets” are made of foil-bonded Mylar. NASA uses this material to make weather Answer: Dell. balloons. A five-layer sandwich of it in space suits protects astronauts from raA VERY LARGE NUMBER diation and temperature swings. It’s used as so•lar Edward Kasner was a mathematician. In 1938 sails in outer-space aircraft. It’s built into he was asked to come up with a name for a aluminized suits to protect urban firefighters, very large number: the numeral one, followed and in protective emergency heat-shielding fire by a hundred zeros. He asked his two young shelters wildland firefighters. It’s found in nephewsfor what name they would suggest. the reflective backing of solar panels; in insula• Nine-year-old Milton suggested a name tion for homes; in heat-reflecting curtains for out of the funnies. A cartoon strip character the home; as a protective film to Milton preventchose glass named Barney was very popular. from shattering; and in solar ovens to concenBarney’s last name for the number. trate heat. That shiny fold-out reflector that you • Kasner announced the new name for the big put in your car’s on the hotspelling. summer number in his nextwindshield book, altering days is Mylar. • Sixty years later, Larry Page and Sergey Brin • Because it isa so effective extending theOther shelfdeveloped new internetatsearch engine. search engines searched webpageinand life of foods, Mylar is usedeach extensively the ranked them according howfoil many a food packaging industry.toThat lid times on your specific term appeared on them, but Page and yogurt cup is not foil at all, but Mylar. The Brin designed search engine search that for cellophane filmtheir on top of your TVtodinner the specific term and then find out how many doesn’t melt in the microwave isn’t really cellinks there were that led back to that page, lophane; it’s Mylar. The big roasting bag that which resulted in a better search engine. surrounds your Thanksgiving turkey in the • They decided they needed a name that oven is also made of Mylar. Look at the packreflected how many websites the search aging the coffee beansThey or cookies or potato engineof was searching. took the name chips you just bought: if it looks like foil,only but of Edward Kasner’s very large number, you tear itit;slightly, if it looks cellophane theycannot misspelled so it like ended up being but it won’t melt,the it’ssame Mylar.way Mylar are spelled exactly the bags cartoon character Barney spelled his last name. What’s also used to preserve medical products, seeds, it called? (Answer that at bottom of page)to changes and tissue samples are sensitive in moistureCOMPUTER and oxygen. FACTS Mylar balloons and kites are also very popular, although they are • In 1981 Bill Gates said, “640 kb of memory not biodegradable never deteriorate. ought to be enoughand forwill anybody.”
• Moore’s computer performance • If you’re Law lost states in thethat desert, huddling under a doubles every 18 to 24 months, and ever since Mylar space blanket will keep the heat away, 1971, this been protect youhas from UVtrue. radiation, and trap mois•ture HP,escaping Google, from Microsoft, and cutting Apple were your body, downall on started in garages. the chances of dehydration. Answer: Google, from googol.
THANKS FOR READING TIDBITS!
1st Quarter 2015
Week 2• Residential 24 JanHR 4 - Jan.• •Commercial 10 EMERGENCY Industrial SERVICE
• Mobile Home Parks
Page 8 ( )
1-800-438-7686 • www.rotorooter.com
1. 70%. 60% are boys. 2. Male dogs 3. True. A Tibetan mastif was purchased in 2011. 4. True. Their spots develop as they age.
5. Ford 6. Barnum’s Animals (crackers) 7. Paris, France 8. More than 100,000 times/day
PEACE OF MIND Security System
Residential & Commercial • Locally Owned
701-772-6691 • 1550 47th Ave. S., GF www.stonessecuritysystems.com
Sports Answers 5. Patriots 8-0 1. He holds the 6. Losing top 3 spots. record-17, 2. Five (2014-18) Winning-15 3. Earl Campbell George Rogers 7. Pittsburgh’s Evgeni MalEric Dickerson, Edgerrin James, kin (2009), Washington’s Ezekiel Elliott, Alexander Kareem Hunt Ovechkin 4. Chargers & (2018) Saints 7-1
Tammy Erickson @
Superior Styles Haircuts - $15 (Seniors - $12)
Perms & Colors Start at $35
Home Service Available ($3 travel fee) Call for Appointment
510 N. Wash. St. • Grand Forks
2700 South Washington St. Grand Forks, ND
Accessories Dept.: Jason Kowalski 701-757-5912 or AJ Preston 701-757-5969
Heated Seat Kits
WE INSTALL REMOTE STARTS IN MOST MAKES & MODELS!
• 3000 ft. Range • 2-Way Feedback • Includes 2-Way & 1-Way remote
• Heats Up in Seconds • Safe & Durable • Even Heat Distribution
• 1-Mile Range • 2-Way Feedback • Inverted LCD Screen • Includes 2-Way & 1-Way remote
Can be Installed in Front & Back Seats *Most Makes & Models *For a Limited Time
You’re Never Out of Range Whether you’re at the mall, the game, or the airport, you’ll always be able to start your car using the DroneMobile app.
$43900 INSTALLED* • 1-Mile Range • Includes Two 1-Way remotes
$49900 INSTALLED* Remote Start and Drone Mobile Package available at Special Pricing. Ask your Accessories Professional at Rydell’s.
30 Days FREE Basic Service With purchase of Drone Mobile
Buying a New or Used Vehicle from ? Get the Edge 1x Auto Start for just $349.00! Diamond Dealer
Floor Liners • Most advanced floor protection available today. • Perfect fit. • Rigid core for strength. • Surface friction to the carpet. • Lower reservoir that channels fluids and debris away from shoes and clothing. Large Inventory on Hand
*Most Makes & Models
WE INSTALL: • Auto Starts • Truck Bedliners • Running Boards / Nerf Bars • Bed Rails • Tonneau Covers • Chrome Accessories • Rims & Tires
• WeatherTech Floor Liners • Window Tinting • Hitches • Grille Guards • DVD Headrests • & Much More!
"Dog Facts" and "Miracle Mylar"