Of Grand Forks • East Grand Forks Published by: Wick Publications
Big savings Big savings Big savings Big savings for safe for safe forsafe safe for drivers. drivers. drivers. drivers.
Sharon Opdahl, Agent Get a discount up to 50%. Sharon Opdahl, AgentF 2534 17th Avenue South, Suite Sharon Opdahl, Agent GetGet aaa discount upup to to 50%. a discount Get discount Sharon Opdahl Sharon Opdahl, Agent discount to 50%. 50%. 2534 17th Avenue South, SuiteFF I canGet help lower yourup premium Grand Forks, ND 58201 2534 17th Avenue South, Suite 2534 17th Avenue South, Suite F help your premium Grand Forks, ND 58201 tolower 50%. ™ Agent Bus: 701-746-0495 II can can lower your premium Grand Forks, ND ND 58201 I up canhelp help lower your premium Grand Forks, 58201 through Drive Safe & Save ™ . Bus: 701-746-0495 through Drive Safe & Save . firstname.lastname@example.org ™ Bus: 701-746-0495 Bus: 701-746-0495 ®& through Drive Safe Save email@example.com through DriveState Safe Save™.. ®& to a abetter I tocan help lower firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com better State .. ® your 2534 17th Ave. S. • Suite FGetGet
Get totoaFarm. better State Get aFarm. better State . State Get State premium through Grand Forks, ND 58201 GetGet Get State Farm. State Farm. ™ CALL ME TODAY. CALL ME TODAY. Drive Safe & CALLME METODAY. TODAY. Save . 701-746-0495 CALL Get to a better State®. sharonopdahl.com Get State Farm. CALL ME TODAY. ®
State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company State Farm Indemnity Company, Bloomington, IL
StateMutual Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company Farm Automobile Insurance Company 13019001301900 State State Farm Indemnity Company, Bloomington, State Farm Indemnity Company, Bloomington, IL IL State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company 1301900 State Farm Indemnity Company, Bloomington, IL
We Fix iPad SCREENS! We replace screens on: • iPads • iPods • iPhones • Smartphones • Tablets See store for details
757-1899 See store for details
N e at e s t
Little Paper Ever Read®
LES • PUZZ A I V I R S •T FACT • FUN September 13, 2018
1003 S. Washington St. Grand Forks, ND (across from Gerrells)
Issue # 1,085
TIDBITS SHOPS AT ®
by Janet Spencer
People value products they assemble themselves nearly 63% higher than comparable pre-built furniture. This is known as the IKEA effect, and was discovered accidentally by a Swedish man named Ingvar Kamprad.
• Ingvar Kamprad was born in Sweden in 1926 and grew up on the family farm named Elmtaryd near the village Agunnaryd. He was an entrepreneur from the beginning. As a youth he bought matches in bulk and peddled them in smaller packages for a profit. He began a bicycle route selling matches, and then added pens and pencils, ornaments, seeds, and fish. • At 17, his father rewarded him for getting good grades with a gift of cash, and Ingvar used the money to open a mail-order business. He derived the name for the business from his initials, along with the initials for the family farm and the local town: IKEA. • He sold many items, such as wallets, watches, stockings, and jewelry, and later he added simple, functional furniture built by local craftsmen. Soon the furniture out-sold everything else. In the 1950s he dropped the entire product line except for stylish home furnishings.
WANT TO PUBLISH A TIDBITS IN YOUR AREA? ®
We provide the opportunity for success!
DENTISTRY P.C. Pediatric Dentist:
RADON Testing * * Travel fees may apply outside of Grand Forks area
ORGANIC SALON SPA
Hair Loss Hospital • REPAIR • REFRESH • RECLAIM Call to learn about Hair Loss Therapy!
701-739-2403 2600 DeMers Ave. Grand Forks, ND
$ 100 OFF
Signing up for Regular Service ($20 Off first five weekly or bi-weekly cleanings) Expires 9-28-18. New or former customers only. Can’t be combined with any other offer or discount. Additional restrictions may apply.
A dentist with 2 years of additional training beyond dental school to specialize in dental care for infants, children & adolescents. Your child will love coming to see us!
Keep Your Home Safe!
Turn the page for more!
Chad Hoge, DDS, MS
Licensed & Insured
Mikala Hoge, DDS
Village Park Rentals Emerado, ND
2 & 3 Bedroom Manufactured Homes Pet friendly Water, sewer, garbage included $50/Month On site 24hr maintenance staff Rent Six month lease Incentive Each home has own yard space Minutes to the GFAFB and Grand Forks
SA L E !
$ 70 O F F UP TO
60+ Years Experience
Remote Start Systems
Starting at $319.99 Installed
SoundDecisionND.com • 701-738-0713 • 1923 DeMers Ave., Grand Forks
4. Who is the author of the popular book “The Outsiders”? 5. What is male rabbit called? 1. How many millions of Al6. What city is hometown to the len wrenches are distributed Red Hot Chili Peppers band? each year with IKEA furniture 7. What is the symbol associated purchases? with the Greek letter “Delta”? 2. How many billions of dollars 8. Who played the female lead in worth of furniture does IKEA the 1942 film “Casablanca”? sell each year? 9. Which band member was the 3. T or F: More than 900 million founder of U2? people visit IKEA stores worldTRIVIA wide annually? SPONSORED BY:
ENJOY THE GIFT OF HEARING
746.7000 GRAND FORKS
Hooray! to to $1,000 $1,000OFF OFF 1st 1stmonth’s month’srent! rent!
Parkwood Parkwood||757.1519 757.1519||749 749SS30th 30thSt, St,Grand GrandForks Forks| |edgewoodseniorliving.com edgewoodseniorliving.com
• The first piece of flat-pack IKEA furniture was sold in 1956. The idea was born when Kamprad and an employee were loading furniture into a car to take to a photo shoot. A table wouldn’t fit, so the employee unscrewed the legs, and an idea was born. As a result, the furniture was redesigned so that it could be disassembled and shipped flat. This made it cheaper to ship, increased store inventory capacity, minimized transport damage, and made it easier for customers to carry the furniture home. This became a trademark. • The very first item of IKEA furniture sold as a flat-pack was a leaf-shaped side table, which first appeared in the 1956 catalog. • Because Ingvar Kamprad is dyslexic, he found it easier to give products names rather than identify them through a set of numbers and letters. The names follow a system: living room furniture is named after towns in Sweden; bedroom furniture is named after cities in Norway; carpets are named after places in Denmark; and dining room items are named after places in Finland. Bookcases are named after occupations; bathroom items are named after lakes and rivers; chairs and desks are named after men; fabric items such as curtains are named after women; garden items are named after islands; and children’s items are named after animals. • The single most popular IKEA product is the Billy bookcase, named after IKEA advertising manager Billy Liljedahl. One sells every ten seconds. They’ve sold over 60 million in the world, which works out to nearly one for every 100 people on the planet. In fact, they are so universal that market analyst Bloomberg uses them to compare purchasing power across the world: In Egypt a Billy bookcase costs over $100 but in Slovakia they can be purchased for less than $40. ...continued
In-Home Care Services
She’s Always Been The Independent Type. We Aim To Keep Her That Way. We help to keep her independent spirit strong. Comfort Keepers® provides compassionate in-home care that helps seniors live safe, happy, and independent lives in the comfort of their own homes. We call our approach Interactive Caregiving™, a unique system of care, which keeps our clients mentally and physically engaged while focusing on their safety assurance and nutrition needs.
SERVICES Companion Care Light Housekeeping Personal Care In-Home Safety Solutions
Call For A Free In-Home Assessment
(701) 738-0006 2100 S Columbia RD #116 Grand Forks, ND 58201 ©2018 CK Franchising, Inc. An international network, where most offices independently owned and operated.
Attractions HAIR • NAILS • PERMANENT COSMETICS Full Service Salon for Women, Men & Kids
See Us At Our
Columbia Center Strip Mall (Near Bully Brew Coffee House)
2100 S. Columbia Road Grand Forks, ND
Schedule an Appointment Today!
Jodi 701-740-5897 Marie 701-330-6952 Coleen 218-779-4556
Maggie 218-779-8351 Marion 701-739-6386 Kayla 218-779-7080
© 2018 King Features Syndicate. All rights reserved.
Would You Like Tidbits in Your restaurant?
It’s FREE! Call Tidbits Today! 772-8239
REMOTE AUTO STARTS Start, Track, & Control Your Car • Up to From 1500 ft. Anywhere, range Right from your Phone.
Deluxe 2-Way Remote Start
Turnoverball™ Gooseneck Hitch
Low-Profile Roll-Up Tonneau Cover
Other Hitch Styles Available
Protect Your Boats & Campers!
6105 Gateway Drive • Grand Forks, ND 701-746-0083 • 800-279-7492 • Hours: M-F 9-6 and Sat. 9-3
0% FINANCING for 12-24 Months
www.newvisiontruckaccessories.com H Professional Installation on All Products we sell
LOCATIONS! 2 Columbia Center Strip Mall
• 100+ Top Quality Truffles & Chocolates! • Albanese - World’s Best Gummies! • Nostalgic/Retro/Imported Candies! • Ty Plush Beanie Boos - Best Prices!
(Near Bully Brew & Olive Barrel)
BACK-TO-SCHOOL KID FAVORITES:
2100 S. Columbia Rd. Grand Forks, ND • 701-757-4008 Hours: M-F 10:30-6:30 • Sat. 10-5 AND
Pop-Up Store in Columbia Mall (located in the middle of mall) 2800 S. Columbia Rd. • Grand Forks Open Fri.-Sat.-Sun only
• In 1994 IKEA was the first company to ever feature a gay couple in a commercial. The ad was pulled when the company started receiving death threats. However, they later went on to become the first company to feature a transgender person in an ad. • Each year, there are more copies of the IKEA catalog printed than the Bible. Around 100 million copies of the Bible are sold or given away each year, but the IKEA catalog goes out to 180 million people in 27 different languages annually. About 70% of the company’s marketing budget goes into the catalog, and they produce over 50 different editions each year. • Kamprad first opened a restaurant in an IKEA shop in 1960, after he realized that shoppers would leave the store as soon as they got hungry. Today IKEA is famous for their Swedish meatballs. The restaurants collectively bring in about $1.8 billion in revenue each year. This subsequently led to an entirely new product line of Swedish foods. • If you live in Scandinavia, certain European countries, or the United Kingdom, you can buy an IKEA home. In 1996 they started selling flat-pack homes called the BoKlok House (Swedish for “smart living”) for a fraction of the price of a regular home.
Are You Interested In Heart Health? Would you like to eat more fish?
We are looking for men and women to participate in a research study. The purpose of this study is to determine whether eating rainbow trout with different omega 3 levels reduces heart disease risk markers. Those who complete the study will receive up to $500 in compensation
Criteria for Participation: 20-70 years old • Overweight
GRAND FORKS HUMAN NUTRITION RESEARCH CENTER Sign up today for this ongoing study on-line at: http://ars.usda.gov/pa/gfhnrc Call 701-795-8396 or 1-800-562-4032 for more information
USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.
September is Hunger Action Month The Lions Clubs of Grand Forks and the RSVP program are partnering with Great Plains Food Bank for a FOOD DRIVE. Drop off non-perishable food items, personal care items or fresh produce each Saturday at the Farmer’s Market and pick up an Orange Ribbon to raise awareness of local hunger. One thing you can do to prevent hunger: volunteer to be a Meals on Wheels driver at your local senior center. Thank you for your support 701-297-2577 | LynnellP@lssnd.org www.greatplainsfoodbank.org
• IKEA has also designed and marketed a $1000 flat-pack refugee shelter that is boxed and shipped with all tools needed for assembly. • The costume designer for “Game of Thrones” revealed that he bought faux fur rugs at IKEA and re-purposed them as fur capes worn by members of the Night’s Watch. ...continued
.COM Of Grand Forks • East Grand Forks
• Many IKEA stores offer free daycare centers with playgrounds, giving parents beepers so they can be notified if their child requires attention while they are shopping.
• On Sept. 20, 1565, Spanish forces capture the French Huguenot settlement of Fort Caroline, near present-day Jacksonville, Florida. The French lost 135 men in the first instance of colonial warfare between European powers in America. • On Sept. 23, 1846, at the Berlin Observatory, German astronomer Johann Gottfried Galle discovers the planet Neptune. The blue gas giant has eight known moons and a ring system containing three bright and two dim rings. • On Sept. 17, 1884, Judge Allen disposes of 13 criminal cases on his Oakland, California, docket in only six minutes. Defendants did not stand much of a chance of gaining an acquittal. In a 40-year period only 1 defendant in 100 was acquitted. • On Sept. 22, 1914, in the North Sea, the German U-9 submarine sinks three British cruisers in just over one hour. The one-sided battle, during which 1,400 British sailors lost their lives, alerted the British to the deadly effectiveness of the submarine. • On Sept. 21, 1938, without warning, a powerful Category 3 hurricane slams into Long Island and southern New England, causing 600 deaths. The storm had been forecast to make landfall in Florida. • On Sept. 18, 1981, the 20,000-car parking lot at Canada's new West Edmonton Mall makes the Guinness Book of World Records as the largest parking lot in the world. The mall has more than 800 stores, 100 restaurants, three radio stations, two hotels, a full-size ice-skating rink, nightclubs and a chapel. • On Sept. 19, 1995, The Washington Post publishes a 35,000-word manifesto written by the Unabomber, Theodore Kaczynski. Since the late 1970s, Kaczynski had carried out bombings that killed three people and injured another 23. David Kaczynski realized the writing style was similar to that of his brother, Theodore, and notified the FBI. © 2018 Hearst Communications, Inc. All Rights Reserved
TARGET Gift Card with a 12-month lease
3 Bedroom Apartment Homes only $1,000/month
Call to Schedule a Showing Today! 701.757.0128
Short-Term Care & Rehabilitation • Recuperate • Get Strong • Get Back to Everyday Life We offer specialized services in:
Physical, Occuaptional and Speech Therapy, along with Skilled Nursing Services To learn more about rehabilitation and other services we offer please contact us.
(218) 281-3424 • 516 Walsh Street. • Crookston, MN
REMOTE STARTS $50 OFF TODAY! OFFER ENDS 9-30-18
Call or Stop By Today to Schedule Your Auto Start Installation! FOR STATE SENATE
FOR STATE REPRESENTATIVE
1600 47th Ave. S. - Suite C • Grand Forks • 701-757-3075 FOR STATE REPRESENTATIVE
PLEASE TELL OUR ADVERTISERS YOU SAW THEIR AD IN TIDBITS!
PAID FOR BY THE DISTRICT 43 DEMOCRATIC–NPL, DAN HINNENKAMP, TREASURER
SPORTS QUIZ 1. How many times have the Chicago Bears defeated the Green Bay Packers in their last 10 meetings? 2. How many times have the Minnesota Viking and the Green Bay Packers tied a game with each other? 3. T or F: The last time before August 2017 that the L.A. Dodgers were 50 games over .500 during the season was over 60 years ago.
4. How many times did Rickey Henderson steal 100 or more bases in a season? 5. Who was the oldest catcher to hit a home run in the All-Star Game before St. Louis’ Yadier Molina (34 years, 363 days) did it in 2017? 6. T or F: Allen Iverson is the all-time leading scorer for the Philadelphia 76ers. 7. What was the most interceptions made by Deion Sanders in a single season?
AMAZING LUNCH • Over 60 Menu Items •
FREE Fun-Bus Rides 21 & Up
to All UND Men’s Hockey Home Games
NEW Casino Machines BOOK YOUR PARTIES HERE!
701-757-1091 • 1210 S. Washington St. • Grand Forks, ND
Relax and Earn
• IKEA’s first shop was set up in Almhult, southern Sweden, and was 6,700 square meters. The average IKEA is now about 32,000 square meters. In 2014, IKEA opened a store in South Korea that’s nearly 60,000 square meters. For comparison, that’s nearly twelve times larger than the White House. • There’s a website called IkeaHackers.net where people submit ideas on how to modify and improve IKEA furniture, such as turning a bookshelf into a room divider, a wine rack, or a babychanging station. • On Valentine’s Day in 2013, an Australian couple got married at an IKEA in Sydney, Australia, after winning a contest to have their wedding there. • In 2010 the company released 100 privately owned cats into a store that was closed overnight, just to film their antics. A team of five cameramen followed the cats around, and the cats were tended by a bevy of wranglers.
9-Month Certificate Special
Looking for a longer term to save safely?
Open up a special 15-month certificate at 2.75% APY.* Both with a minimum of just $1,000.
• Today there’s an IKEA museum located on the site in Almhult, Sweden, where the very first IKEA store once stood. On display are many of the company’s famous designs and products, from meatballs to bookshelves. The 100th employee joined Ikea in 1959 and visitors can see uniforms from that period. • In an interview on his 90th birthday, Ingvar Kamprad was wearing clothes he had purchased at a flea market and driving an old Volvo. Kamprad was once denied entry at a gala when he showed up to receive an award because he had arrived via bus. • Today IKEA is the world’s largest furniture store, operating around 389 outlets in 43 countries, employing about 183,000 people, selling some 9,500 products. By the time Ingvar Kamprad died at the age of 91 in 2018, he was one of the world’s richest men.
servicecu.org • 800.296.5938 federally insured by ncua
*Rates shown are Annual Percentage Yield (APY), accurate as of 8/16/18 and subject to change without notice. Rates shown are based on a minimum of $1,000 deposit and terms of 9 and 15 months. Penalty for early withdrawal.
© 2018 King Features Synd., Inc.
Open yours at our Grand Forks Branch or online at servicecu.org/earnmore.
*Answer located further back in this issue.
KING C R O S S W O R D
FREE 43" TV
with a 12-month lease
3 Bedroom Apartment Homes only $900/month
Call to Schedule a Showing Today! 701.757.1521
Contact your local agent
• Medicare Contact your local agent for for more information: Coverage moreinformation: information: t for more • Group <Agent Name> A Medical INSURANCE AGENCY <Agency Name> Life Ins. • <Address> Rick Asche • 701-772-1138 H2409, H2410, H2450_2058 (01-2009) <City, ST ZIP> <Phone> 1521 24th Ave. S. • Grand Forks, ND <Hours of Operation> > “Since 1988”
Life • Medicare • Group Plans • Health • Long Term Care
©2009 Medica. Medica® contracts with the federal government.
©2009 Medica. Medica® contracts with the federal government.
S U D O K U
009 Medica. Medica® contracts with the federal government.
EAST GRAND FORKS
by Linda Thistle
Place a number in the empty boxes in such a way that each row across, each column down and each small 9-box square contains all of the numbers from one to nine.
• POST 157 •
Book Our BALLROOM:
• Weddings • Graduation • Parties • Meetings • & More
PULL DIFFICULTY THIS WEEK: H Moderate
Challenging HOO BOY!
© 2018 King Features Synd., Inc.
Thursdays: 7:00 pm TA B S Sundays: 1:30 pm 1009 CENTRAL AVE. • EAST GRAND FORKS • 218-773-1129
• A century ago, Americans spent about 43% of each day working to earn enough money to buy food. Now, it's just 7%. • The average American household spends about 10% of its total budget on food. • Although “as American as apple pie” is a common phrase, apple pie isn’t particularly American. Pie was invented in Medieval England, and the modern recipe for apple pie with a lattice crust was created by the Dutch. • Pound cake got its name from the original recipe which called for a pound of butter, a pound of eggs, a pound of sugar, and a pound of flour. • During the average meal, you eat over 90,000 miles of DNA. • Chimichanga, a deep-fried burrito, is a Mexican word meaning “whatchamacallit” or “thingamajig.” Chimichangas were reportedly invented at the El Charro Cafe in Tucson, Arizona in 1922 when the restaurant owner accidently flipped a burrito into a deep fryer. • There are approximately 350 different pasta shapes around the world. • Almost 70% of red meat eaten around the world is goat meat. • People in Bangladesh and India eat the least meat per capita, averaging around 9 pounds each year, while Americans eat the most at about 265 lbs. each year, followed by Kuwait, New Zealand, and Australia. • There is no fruit in Froot Loops cereal, and every color is the same flavor. • In 2002 Parkay released 15,000 Parkay tubs outfitted with motion-activated computer chips that automatically responded with “The label says Parkay, the flavor says butter” when anyone passed by.
• Kale is one of the most nutritious vegetables. A single cup has only 33 calories yet it has 684% of the daily requirement of vitamin K, 134% of vitamin C, 206% of Vitamin A, as well as iron, folate, omega-3s, magnesium, calcium, iron, fiber, and two grams of protein. A serving of kale has more calcium than a small glass of milk, more vitamin C than an orange, and more vitamin A than any other leafy green. Kale retains most of its nutritional value even when cooked. • The origin of the name “onion” comes from Latin “unio” which is also the origin of the words “union” and “unity” referring to the many layers of an onion forming a single unit. • Worldwide, there are over 7,500 varieties of apples. If you tried a new type per day, it would take you 20 years to taste them all. Apple seeds contain small traces of cyanide. • Almonds are a seed rather than a true nut. Almonds are a member of the peach family. • On August 10, 2015, NASA astronauts on the International Space Station ate food that had been grown in space for the first time: Romaine lettuce. • If your in-flight airline meal tastes bland, remember that being at high altitudes affects both the sense of smell and the sense of taste. • The flesh of wild salmon is pink due to the shrimp they eat, but farm-raised salmon which are fed differently tend to be naturally white. They are fed plant pigments called carotenoids which are responsible for making carrots orange and tomatoes red. These carotenoids, when eaten by farmed salmon, mimic the pink color of wild salmon. • The average American spends about $3,140 on food each year and eats 35 tons of food in their lifetime.
THANKS FOR READING TIDBITS!
2700 South Washington St. Grand Forks, ND
Accessories Dept.: Jason Kowalski 701-757-5912 or AJ Preston 701-757-5969
WE INSTALL: • Auto Starts • Truck Bedliners • Running Boards / Nerf Bars • Rims & Tires • WeatherTech • Window Tinting • Bed Rails • Tonneau Covers • Chrome Accessories • Hitches • Grille Guards • DVD Headrests • & More!
$50 OFF Limited Time Only! *Most Makes & Models
PRE-SEASON SPECIAL Edge 2x Reg. $569.00
INSTALLED* • 1-Mile Range • 2-Way Feedback • Inverted LCD Screen • Includes 2-Way & 1-Way remote
• Truckbed Protection from Scratches, Dents & Rust • Non-Slip Coating • Permanent Bond
Get Ready to Haul Your Boats & Campers!
We Install Hitches & Wiring on All Makes & Models
$100 OFF Limited Time Only!
Flex 2 Reg. $499.00
INSTALLED* • 3000 ft. Range • 2-Way Feedback • Includes 2-Way & 1-Way remote *Most Makes & Models
Edge 1x Reg. $439.00
INSTALLED* • 1-Mile Range • Includes Two 1-Way remotes
PROFESSIONAL INSTALL TEAM
King Features Weekly Service
Published Every Thursday!
©2018 King Features Syndicate, Inc. All rights reserved.
© 2018 King Features Synd., Inc.
(Answers located further back)
September 3, 2018
• “I like a dark wash on my jeans and have found the perfect pair fitwise, but after repeated washing they tend to lighten up. I use an in-washer dye to freshen up the color, and my jeans go back to dark blue in a snap. You can do the same with once-black pants or T-shirts that have turned faded by using black dye. Just make sure that it’s not embroidered, because it’ll dye that too.” — R.H. in Arkansas • Heading into sniffles season, here’s a great tip from E.G.: “Get a roll of toilet paper that’s easy on the nose, then squeeze to loosen the center cardboard roll. Remove cardboard. Carefully open the bottom of an empty tissue box and insert the roll of toilet paper, threading the TP from the inside of the roll up through the center. Tape the bottom of the box closed, and then use at will. It lasts longer, it’s cheaper and you easily can replace it.” • Use this teachers’ hack to hang a poster in your rental: Apply a piece of low-tack painter’s tape to the wall. Run a line of hot glue along the tape and push the poster into place. The poster sticks to the glue, which sticks to the tape on the wall, which is not damaged in any way. • “Sunglass cases are excellent cord keepers. I went through so many pairs of earbuds just stuffing them in my backpack, but now the ones I like are safe and secure, along with my charging cord and a cube to plug into the wall outlet if I need it.” — P.A. in Florida • Recipe substitution: For a cup of heavy cream in sauces (not whipping) try this vegan alternative: 2/3 cup plain unflavored soy milk and 1/3 cup olive oil. Send your tips to Now Here’s a Tip, 628 Virginia Drive, Orlando, FL 32803.
Of Grand Forks • East Grand Forks
THE AREA’S BEST ADVERTISING VALUE 1. It’s a FREE publication for the public. 2. Every issue of Tidbits is available for a full 3.
week; so your ad gets seen for 7 days! Tidbits is a smaller publication which gives your ad a great chance of being noticed. Plus, every page is designed to contain extra content such as trivia and puzzles to entertain readers on each page longer. People love Tidbits because it’s filled with content that is upbeat and fun....not with “gloom and doom” news of the day. Tidbits appeals to just about everyone!
8,000 Copies of Tidbits are published every Thursday and distributed to over 120 locations in Grand Forks, GFAFB, East Grand Forks & Crookston.
Here is pricing for a few of our more popular ad sizes: Full Color
Ad Size (inches)
2x2 2x3 Front 2x3 Inside 4x2 4x3 4x4 1/4 Page (4x5) 1/2 Page Full Page
1-12 weeks $40.00 $60.00 $50.00 $60.00 $80.00 $88.00 $95.00 $165.00 $265.00
13+ weeks $30.00 $51.00 $41.00 $51.00 $66.00 $75.00 $82.00 $135.00 $220.00
*All prices listed are per week.
An area favorite for over 20 YEARS!
For more information:
Call 701.740.0968 or go to www.TidbitsGF.com
by Samantha Weaver
• It was beloved American humorist Will Rogers who made the following sage observation: "Everything is funny as long as it's happening to somebody else." • If you have spent a great deal of time in the Scottish highlands, you might be familiar with the term "sgiomlaireachd." Evidently, the habit of dropping in at mealtimes is common enough there to require a word to describe it. • The world's most popular fruit is the banana. In the United States, people consume more bananas than apples and oranges put together. • How would you like to brush your teeth with salt, chalk or ground brick? The first tooth powders used with toothbrushes were made of just such materials. • Ever wonder why magazine publisher Hugh Hefner chose a rabbit as the symbol of his Playboy magazine? Evidently, when the mogul was a small boy, one of his treasured possessions was a blanket with bunnies all over it. • Those who study such things say that Italians drink, on average, 26 gallons of wine every year. • The English word "vegetable" comes from the Latin word "vegetare," which means "to invigorate." *** Thought for the Day: "I divide my officers into four groups. There are clever, diligent, stupid and lazy officers. Usually two characteristics are combined. Some are clever and diligent -- their place is the General Staff. The next lot are stupid and lazy -- they make up 90 percent of every army and are suited to routine duties.ÊAnyone who is both clever and lazy is qualified for the highest leadership duties, because he possesses the intellectual clarity and the composure necessary for difficult decisions.ÊOne must beware of anyone who is stupid and diligent -- he must not be entrusted with any responsibility because he will always cause only mischief." -- Kurt Freiherr von Hammerstein-Equord © 2018 King Features Synd., Inc.
HUYGENS SPACE PROBE
When You Drop, Swap & Go! 20# Propane Exchange
$18.99 before mail-in-rebate
20# Cylinder Filled
$47.99 before mail-in-rebate
Hwy. 81 North • Grand Forks, ND • Hours: M-F 8-8 • Sat. 8-6 • Sun. 12-6
FALL SPECIALS • Exclusive JetPak Therapy System™ • 16 Interchangeable JetPak Options • Up to 90% less plumbing - a more efficient and powerful system. AVAILABLE AT:
Stop by and see our showroom models! 4224 Gateway Drive Grand Forks, ND
Grand Forks THINKING ABOUT STARTING YOUR OWN BUSINESS? Free Consulting • Confidential • Business Plans
SCORE Mentors (Grand Forks, ND) Call: 746-5851 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Solution on Next Page
• Huygens was a probe that landed on Saturn’s moon Titan in 2005. Named after the Dutch 17thcentury astronomer Christiaan Huygens who discovered Titan in 1655, the probe landed farther away from Earth than any previous spacecraft. It was the first landing on a moon other than our own. • The Huygens probe, which measured about 9 feet wide and weighed roughly 700 pounds, was attached to the Cassini spacecraft. Cassini weighed in at 2,600 pounds. The mission was a joint effort by the European Space Agency with NASA and the Italian Space Agency. • Cassini was named for Giovanni Cassini, a 17thcentury astronomer who was the first to observe four of Saturn’s moons. The Cassini spacecraft was built to study Saturn and the surrounding system, while the Huygens probe was designed to detach and land on Titan. • The combined Cassini–Huygens spacecraft launched on October 15, 1997 and remained dormant for the 6.7-year interplanetary cruise, except for semi-annual check-ups. The craft flew by Venus and Jupiter on the way, settling into orbit around Saturn on July 1, 2004. It spent several months studying Jupiter, its rings, and its numerous moons. • Huygens separated from the Cassini orbiter on December 25, 2004, and landed on Titan on January 14, 2005, while Cassini continued to orbit. It took about 2.5 hours for Huygens to descend through the atmosphere of Titan. • Huygens parachuted to the surface, landing on a crusted clay-like shoreline with an impact speed similar to dropping a ball on Earth from a height of about one yard. • The temperature at the landing site was −290.8 °F with a relative humidity (composed of methane) of 50%.
HUYGENS SPACE PROBE
DIFFERENCES: 1. Fence is shorter. 2 Cap is reversed. 3. Car door is missing. 4. House is missing. 5. License plate is missing. 6. Shirt is different. © 2018 King Features Synd., All rights reserved.
Professional Home Inspection Service CERTIFIED INSPECTOR
• Huygens landed at what counts as high noon on Titan, when the Sun is about 1/10th the size as seen from Answer: Dell. Earth, with light comparable to twilight as seen on Earth about ten minutes A VERY LARGE NUMBER after sunset. The color of the sky on Titan is •orange Edward Kasnerofwas mathematician. In 1938 because the athick haze. he was asked to come up with a name for a • Titan the number: largest ofthe Saturn’s moons, and veryislarge numeral62one, followed isby half the size of Earth nearly as a hundred zeros. Heand asked his as twolarge young Mars. It’s what the second largest moon in the sonephews name they would suggest. system, after Ganymede of Jupiter.aIt is the •larNine-year-old Milton suggested name only moon in the solar system with clouds and out of the funnies. A cartoon strip character a named dense, planet-like Barney wasatmosphere. very popular. Milton chose Barney’s last name for theis number. • The atmosphere on Titan composed of 95% •nitrogen Kasner and announced the new name forhas thecarbig 5% methane. Titan also number in his next book, altering the spelling. bon, hydrogen, and oxygen, as well as other •elements Sixty years later, for Larry essential life.Page and Sergey Brin developed a new internet search engine. Other • Titan hasengines liquid searched methane each rivers,webpage lakes, and search and seas, making the only other world in times the so-a ranked themitaccording to how many larspecific systemterm that appeared has stableon liquids itsPage surface. them,on but and Methane rain circulates in engine hydrological cycle Brin designed their search to search for the specific term and then outwith howwater. many similar to what happens onfind Earth links there were led back to that page, Scientists think thatthat Titan’s weather probably which resulted in downpours a better search features torrential of engine. liquid meth•ane They decided needed a name causing flash they floods, interspersed by that dereflected how many ofwebsites cades or even centuries drought. the search engine was searching. They took the name • Titan has sand dunes very madelarge of hydrocarbons, of Edward Kasner’s number, only mountains reaching 10,000so feet in height, and they misspelled it slightly, it ended up being possible of water amspelled underground exactly the oceans same way the and cartoon character Barney spelled his last name. What’s monia. it called? (Answer at bottom of page) • Huygens operated for about 90 minutes after FACTS touchdown, COMPUTER sending the information from its •robotic In 1981laboratory Bill Gatestosaid, “640 which kb of memory Cassini, relayed ought to be enough for anybody.” the data to Earth. • Moore’s states that computer • On Sept. Law 15, 2017, Cassini madeperformance a suicidal doubles every 18 to 24 months, and everfor since plunge into Saturn, taking measurements as 1971, this has been true. long as its instruments could send communica•tions HP, back Google, Microsoft, and Apple were all to Earth. started in garages. THANKS FOR READING Answer: Google, from googol. TIDBITS!
Precious Metals Ex. Office • Swivel Chair • Avon Cars • Jim Beam Bottles • Coke Trays • Belt Buckles • Knives • Clowns •1st Tools • Commercial Lift Pump Quarter 2015 • Leather Vests, Chaps, Coats & Bags • Mugs Week 2 • Brass • Paintings & Prints • African Drum • Facial • Plus,10 Much More! Jan Beds 4 - Jan. EVERYTHING 50-90% OFF!
$ We Buy Scrap8Gold & Silver $ Page
1809 13th Ave., N. • Grand Forks
1. 50 million 2. About $37 billion 3. True, approx. 915 million 4. S.E. Hinton 5. A buck
Residential & Commercial • Locally Owned
PEACE OF MIND Security System
701-772-6691 • 1550 47th Ave. S., GF www.stonessecuritysystems.com
Sports Answers 1. One time in 2015 2. Twice: 1978 and 2013 3. True. Last time was 1953. 4. 3 times
5. Yogi Berra of Yankees was 34 yrs, 83 days, in 1959. 6. False. He is second behind Hal Greer. 7. Seven in 1993 with Atlanta
24HR EMERGENCY SERVICE
6. Los Angeles 7. Triangle 8. Ingrid Bergman 9. The drummer Larry Mullen Jr.
• Residential • Commercial • Industrial
• Mobile Home Parks
(701) 746-8947 1-800-438-7686 • www.rotorooter.com Please Recycle this copy of Tidbits. Share it with a Friend.
September 16, 2018 11:00 - 4:00 Schedule of Events:
EVENT LOCATION: 2700 South Washington Street • Grand Forks
• Face Painting • Inflatables • Local Entertainment • Silent Auction
Funds Collected along with a Rydell Corporate match will benefit:
MENU: Sloppy Joe’s, Chips, & Soda
To register your vehicle go to: www.RydellCarShow.com Select this event to download a registration form. Pre-registration Fee $40 • Registration opens at 8:00am
Thank You to our Sponsors: Print & Ship Services
Print & Ship Services
Potato Chips Compliments of
Potato Chips Compliments of
"IKEA," " Food Facts" and "Huygens Space Probe"