LES • PUZZ A I V I R S •T FACT • FUN September 7, 2017
Of Grand Forks • East Grand Forks Published by: Wick Publications
Big savings TIDBITS LOOKS AT Big savings Big savings Big savings for safe for safe THIS WEEK IN HISTORY for safe for safe drivers. by Kathy Wolfe drivers. drivers. drivers. ®
Sharon Opdahl, Agent Get a discount up to 50%. Sharon Opdahl, AgentF 2534 17th Avenue South, Suite Sharon Opdahl, Agent GetGet aaa discount upup to to 50%. a discount Get discount Sharon Opdahl Sharon Opdahl, Agent discount to 50%. 50%. 2534 17th Avenue South, SuiteFF I canGet help lower yourup premium Grand Forks, ND 58201 2534 17th Avenue South, Suite 2534 17th Avenue South, Suite F help your premium Grand Forks, ND 58201 tolower 50%. ™ Agent Bus: 701-746-0495 II can can lower your premium Grand Forks, ND ND 58201 I up canhelp help lower premium Grand 58201 through Drive Safe &&your Save ™ . Bus: Forks, 701-746-0495 through Drive Safe Save . email@example.com ™ Bus: 701-746-0495 Bus: 701-746-0495 ®& through Drive Safe Save firstname.lastname@example.org through DriveState Safe Save™.. ®& to a abetter I tocan help lower email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org better State .. ® your 2534 17th Ave. S. • Suite FGetGet
Get totoaFarm. better State Get aFarm. better State®. State Get State premium through Grand Forks, ND 58201 GetGet Get State Farm. State Farm. ™ CALL ME TODAY. CALL ME TODAY. Drive Safe & CALLME METODAY. TODAY. Save . 701-746-0495 CALL
Get to a better State®. Get State Farm. CALL ME TODAY.
State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company State Farm Indemnity Company, Bloomington, IL
StateMutual Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company Farm Automobile Insurance Company 13019001301900 State State Farm Indemnity Company, Bloomington, State Farm Indemnity Company, Bloomington, IL IL State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company 1301900 State Farm Indemnity Company, Bloomington, IL
ELITE Carpet Cleaning
This week has been a busy one in years past. Follow along as Tidbits looks at several historical events from September 3 to 9. • The Seattle Mariners stepped onto the field to face the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park on September 3, 1981. Little did they know they would be playing in the longest game that stadium has never known – 20 innings – and that the game wouldn’t actually be complete until the next day. The game was tied 7-7 after 19 innings of play when it was suspended by the American League curfew rule, which stated that no inning could begin after 1 A.M. The competition was resumed the following evening prior to that night’s scheduled game. The Mariners were the victors by a score of 8-7.
Carpet Cleaning • Carpet • September 4, 1957 marked the release of Cleaning SPECIAL! Ford Motor Company’s “car of the future,” • Upholstery the Edsel. Named for Henry Ford’s only son, Cleaning 2 Rooms & Edsel, former president of Ford Motor ComHallway • Water pany, who had perished from stomach cancer Not valid with any other offer. Extraction Expires 10-6-17 in 1943 at age 49, the Edsel was expected to Residential & Commercial nab a large share of the market away from GM and Chrysler. Immediately, the public disliked the car, considering it unattractive and overpriced. The Edsel sold poorly right 701-775-8500 from the beginning.
Issue # 1,034
“Turn Your Walk Into a Workout”
Made in USA
Grand Forks Grand Cities Mall
M-F 10-6 • Sat 10-5 • Sun. Closed
Licensed & Insured
Mention this ad and get
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
FREE ESTIMATES! We Sell New, Used & Commercial Vacuums! Vacuum Cleaner Tune-Up Special
WANT TO PUBLISH A TIDBITS IN YOUR AREA? ®
We provide the opportunity for success!
Call 1.800.523.3096 www.tidbitsweekly.com
410 N. Washington St., Grand Forks 701-746-9300 • www.vacsgf.com
Enjoy one FREE pint of frozen custard As part of our Give A Pint, Get A Pint program, we’d like to thank you for your lifesaving donation to Dak Minn Blood Bank in April by treating you to a pint of our fresh, delicious frozen custard. Available in vanilla, chocolate and our always popular flavor of the day, Culver’s® Frozen While Supplies Last Custard is so smooth and creamy, Donate Blood at Dak-Minn Blood Bank it’s better than ice cream.
A dentist with 2 years of additional training beyond dental school to specialize in dental care for infants, children & adolescents. Your child will love coming to see us!
Chad Hoge, DDS, MS
Giving Blood is Cool.
and receive a FREE 12 oz. Blizzard from all Grand Forks & EGF Dairy Queen locations Check yourfor eligibility date and Call or e-mail an appointment:
Turn the page for more!
Men’s & Women’s • Medial & Forefoot Support for STABILITY
Mikala Hoge, DDS
call for an appointment: (5433) 780-LIFE 780-LIFE (5433) or e-mail email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org www.dakminnbloodbank.org www.dakminnbloodbank.org
Premium Powersports Audio
THIS WEEK IN HISTORY (cont'd):
Let's Play Dirty.
• Only 118,287 Edsels were built, with just 2,846 vehicles produced for the 1960 model. Overall, the company lost $350 million ($2.9 billion in today’s dollars) on the venture. • Sonya Thomas has held an interesting record
™ How we play. since September 4, 2011. On that day, she won
UTV Audio at Sound Decision
SoundDecisionND.com • 701-738-0713 • 1923 DeMersw Ave., w w .Grand j l a u dForks i™o . c o m
play. Let’sHow playwe dirty.
Premium Powersports Audio w w w. j l a u d i o . c o m
How we play.™ Grand Forks
w w w. j l a u d i o . c o m
™ • 100+ Top Quality Truffles & play. Chocolates! How we • Albanese - World’s Best Gummies! • Nostalgic/Retro/Imported Candies! • Super Sour Candy - Kids Favorites! w w w. j l a u d i o . c o m • Ty Plush Beanie Boos - Best Prices!
A “Sweet” Reason to come to Columbia Mall
Center of Mall
How we play. 4. T or F: Over 25 U.S. states are partly or wholly north of Canada’s southernmost point. 1. Name Blondie and Dagwood 5. What color is the No. 5 ball in Bumstead’s neighbors and best billiards? friends. 6. Which Detroit band released 2. Name the famous singer who “Talking in Your Sleep”? made his first appearance on 7. What does the abbreviation “The Ed Sullivan Show” on HDMI stand for? September 9, 1956. 8. What year did the movie 3. Which U.S. president did “Wizard of Oz” debut? Squeaky Fromme attempt to TRIVIA assassinate on Sept. 5, 1975? SPONSORED BY: ™
w w w. j l a u d i o . c o m
QUALITY HEARING AID CARE • Comprehensive Hearing Testing • 60 Day Hearing Aid Trial • Fit & Service Major Brands
Hours: • Mon-Fri 9-5 • Sat 9-1 • 38 Years Serving the Area 0% Financing Available Advanced Partner Siemens Hearing Instruments
2514 S. Washington • Grand Forks 746-7000 • 1-800-658-3442 • www.wakefieldhearing.com • Fireplaces & Stoves • Gas, Wood, Electric, Pellet & Corn • Inserts • Mantels • Glass Doors • Fireplace Accessories
NAME BRANDS LIKE:
on select FIREPLACES Offer Ends Sept. 15, 2017 • MUST SHOW COUPON •
Sales & Installation
Over a Dozen Burning Displays at:
4224 Gateway Dr. • Grand Forks
• Fireplace Extrordinair • Lopi
the U.S. Chicken Wing Eating Championship by consuming 183 Buffalo wings in 12 minutes at the National Buffalo Wings Festival in Buffalo, New York. Sonja is a member of the International Federation of Competitive Eating and holds records in more than 25 eating competitions. Earlier in 2011, she nabbed the hot dog eating contest for women by gobbling down 40 hot dogs in 10 minutes. The following year she broke her own record, eating 46 hot dogs. Other records include 44 lobsters in 12 minutes, 38 Moonpies in 8 minutes, and 250 tater tots in 5 minutes. Her favorite competition foods are hard-boiled eggs, oysters, and chicken wings. She keeps her weight under control by exercising two hours a day on an incline treadmill.
• In September of 1960, light heavyweight boxer Cassius Marcellus Clay, Jr. traveled to Rome, Italy, to participate in the Summer Olympics. He was just 18 years old, but won all four of his matches, even defeating the three-time European champion. Clay was awarded the gold medal on September 5, 1960, and turned professional shortly afterward. In 1964, he converted to Islam and changed his name to Muhammad Ali. Ali retired from boxing in 1981, and turned to charitable work. Three years later, he was diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease, attributed to his many boxing-related brain injuries. After struggling with the disease for many years, Ali passed away in June of 2016. ...continued
TOTALLY BOOKED LLC We help business owners keep their books up to date for a fraction of the cost of hiring an employee. We specialize in a range of bookkeeping services including: offsite and onsite bookkeeping, cloud-based and general bookkeeping services. Give us a call. We can save you time & money!
You Take Care of Business While We Take Care of the Books! (701) 317-5264 email@example.com
One Nation. One Mission. Many Opportunities.
Transportation Security Officers at Grand Forks Mark Andrews International Airport (GFK) No Experience Required Part-time pay rate starting at $16.14 per hour
(Includes 15.06% locality pay plus 5% retention incentive; this incentive is subject to periodic review and may be adjusted)
PLUS Federal benefits • Paid, ongoing training TSA offers an attractive benefits package including: health, dental, vision, life and long-term care insurance; retirement plan; Thrift Savings Plan [similar to 401(k)]; Flexible Spending Account; Employee Assistance Program; personal leave days; and paid federal holidays.
Please apply online at: https://tsajobs.tsa.dhs.gov or text “TSO” to 95495 or call 1.877.872.7990 Follow us on Twitter @CareersatTSA U.S. Citizenship Required Equal Opportunity Employer Standard Messaging and Data Rates Apply
Find healing and freedom from life’s hurts, hang-ups and habits.
A Christ-centered recovery ministry!
1601 17th Ave S Grand Forks ND 701.772.1884 Thursdays @ 6:30pm
SPORTS QUIZ 1. T or F: The last National League starting pitcher before the National’s Stephen Strasburg in 2016 to start a season 11-0 took place over 30 years ago. 2. Who hit more home runs in his final major-league season: Mickey Mantle or Ted Williams? 3. The MN Vikings have been to the Super Bowl 4 times. What year was the last one?
4. Gregg Popovich holds the NBA coaching record for most victories with one team (1,150 with Spurs entering the 2017-18 season). Who is No. 2? 5. When was the last time before the 2016-17 season (Connor McDavid) that an Edmonton Oilers player was the NHL’s leader in points? 6. Who was the Green Bay Packers’ starting QB before Brett Favre?
2 SHIFTS: 7AM-7PM OR 7PM-7AM SHIFTS: 7AM-7PM 7PM-7AM 22 SHIFTS: 7AM-7PM OROR 7PM-7AM 22WEEK ROTATION OFOF WORK: WEEK ROTATION WORK: 2 WEEK ROTATION OF WORK: WEEK 1: Mon, Tues, Fri, Sat WEEK 2: 2: Sun, Wed, Thurs WEEK Mon, Tues, WEEK Sun, Wed, Thurs WEEK 1: 1: Mon, Tues, Fri,Fri, SatSat WEEK 2: Sun, Wed, Thurs 33day weekend every other week day weekend every other week 3 day weekend every other week 8 hours time and a half every paycheck 8 hours time and a half every paycheck 8 hours time and a half every paycheck COMPETITIVE BENEFITS INCLUDE: COMPETITIVE BENEFITS INCLUDE: COMPETITIVE BENEFITS INCLUDE:
Affordable Medical Affordable Medical Affordable Medical Dental Dental Dental Vision Vision Vision Prescription Drug Prescription Drug Prescription Drug
Life Life Life Disability Disability Disability 401K 401K 401K Tuition Reimbursement Reimbursement Tuition Reimbursement Tuition
APPLY ONLINE AT: WWW.SIMPLOT.COM/CAREERS APPLY ONLINE AT:AT: WWW.SIMPLOT.COM/CAREERS APPLY ONLINE WWW.SIMPLOT.COM/CAREERS The J.R. Simplot Company is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration The Simplot Company proud to to race, be ancolor, Equal religion, Opportunity Employer all qualified applicants willgender receiveidentity, consideration forJ.R. employment withoutisregard national origin,and ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender The J.R. Simplot Company is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration forexpression, employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry,sexual age, sex, gender,military gender or identity, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, orientation, veterangender status, for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, marital status, or any other protected status. expression, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, marital status, or any other protected status.
marital status, or any other protected status.
FALL SAVINGS! $
39 Gal Lawn & Leaf Bags 70 CT
Home Owned & Operated Since 1939
NATURE’S CRYSTAL 24-pk Bottled Water (35-4390)
Sale Prices Good through 9-28-17
2/ 5 $
22" Steel Head Leaf Rake
19 99 #SR22 (2962-0092) Reg. $24.99
Hwy. 81 North • Grand Forks, ND • Hours: M-F 8-8 • Sat. 8-6 • Sun. 12-6
FREE TV or iPad!
Complete an application for select properties by October 1, 2017, and receive a FREE 43" TV or iPad at your lease signing. Your choice! * One TV or iPad per approved household
FLEXIBLE LEASE TERMS AND PRICING. VISIT OUR WEBSITE FOR ADDITIONAL PROMOS!
THIS WEEK IN HISTORY (cont'd):
• America’s first Labor Day holiday took place on September 5, 1882, when more than 10,000 workers gathered in New York City for a parade originating at City Hall, followed by a picnic, concert, and speeches. The activity was organized by New York’s Central Labor Union to demonstrate the expansion of labor movements and their ability to improve working conditions. Labor Day was made an official national holiday in 1894. • The New York Yankees played their final game at New York’s Polo Grounds on September 5, 1922. It was the final game of the World Series, with the Yanks playing the New York Giants, who took the Series 4 games to none. Yankee Stadium opened for the 1923 season. • On the sixth of September, 1899, Carnation processed its first can of evaporated milk in Kent, Washington. Technically, the company was known as the Pacific Coast Condensed Milk Company, and wasn’t renamed Carnation until 1901. Evaporated milk is made by removing about 60% of milk’s water through a vacuum process, then homogenizing, sealing in cans, and sterilizing through a canning process. • The community of Canton, Ohio opened the doors of the Pro Football Hall of Fame on September 7, 1963. It was an appropriate spot for the Hall, considering that the NFL was founded in Canton in 1920 as the American Professional Football Association. Currently, there are 310 members of the NFL Hall of Fame. It’s estimated that there are about 208 million NFL fans in the United States. Of this number, only 7% ever get to go to a live game, while 93% have to be content to watch the games on television. ...continued
701.772.3101 One of the Finest Shooting Facilities in the Upper Midwest Join us on Facebook Join us for Int’l Defense Pistol Association PISTOL CARBINE SIDE MATCH Saturday, Sept. 9. Registration starts at 7:30am. For more info. contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fun for the Whole Family!
email@example.com • 701-732-0486
• Wireless Plug & Play Installation • Live Video Stream & Constant Recording • Voice Integrated with Amazon Echo • Military Grade Encryption
701-741-9145 or 701-330-4526 • www.jaqxpeople.com
REMOTE AUTO STARTS Start, Track, & Control Your Car • Up to From 1500 ft. Anywhere, range Right from your Phone.
Deluxe 2-Way Remote Start
Protect Your Boats & Campers!
& Many More
Colored Liners Also Available
Limited Time Only!
6105 Gateway Drive • Grand Forks, ND 701-746-0083 • 800-279-7492 • Hours: M-F 9-6 and Sat. 9-3
© 2017 King Features Synd., Inc.
*Answer located further back in this issue.
0% FINANCING for 12-24 Months
rel a x this summer
Personal Loan RATES AS LOW AS
Get pre-approved at our Grand Forks Branch or online today!*
LIVE PERSON SERVICE 24/7 • 800.936.7730 • SERVICECU.ORG
Follow us federally insured by ncua *Rate shown is Annual Percentage Rate (APR). APR is variable and is subject to change. Accurate as of 6/1/17. The APR reflects .75% reduction for active military direct deposit and selection of the automatic loan payment feature. (Example: 8.24% APR less .75% = 7.49% APR). Actual APR determined by the overall credit worthiness of each applicant. Please ask a loan officer for details regarding how your rate and credit limit is determined. Rates and terms are subject to change without notice. Subject to minimum rate limitations. Loan discount only applies to closed end personal loans. Direct deposit of entire net pay to Service Credit Union (SCU) (not allotment) and automatic payment must be maintained. Cannot be combined with any other personal loan offer. Offer available on SCU personal loans that qualify for additional funds of $1,000 or more. All eligible discounts are allowed.
• On Sept. 13, 1814, Francis Scott Key pens a poem that is later set to music and in 1931 becomes America's national anthem, "The StarSpangled Banner." The poem, originally titled "The Defence of Fort McHenry," was written after Key witnessed the Maryland fort being bombarded by the British during the War of 1812. • On Sept. 15, 1858, the new Overland Mail Company sends out its first two stages, inaugurating government mail service to the western U.S. In 1857, Congress had authorized a $600,000 yearly subsidy for whatever company could transport the mail twice a week from St. Louis to San Francisco in less than 25 days. • On Sept. 17, 1923, a fire threatening the University of California at Berkeley kills two people and destroys nearly 1,000 houses, including half of the fraternity and sorority houses. The National Guard was quickly called in to stop the looting. • On Sept. 16, 1943, James Alan McPherson, the first black man to win a Pulitzer Prize for fiction, is born in Savannah, Georgia. His Pulitzerwinning short story collection, "Elbow Room," was published in 1977. • On Sept. 12, 1953, Sen. John Fitzgerald Kennedy of Massachusetts marries Jacqueline Lee Bouvier, a photographer for the Washington Times-Herald, in Rhode Island. Kennedy was elected the 35th president of the United States seven years later. • On Sept. 14, 1964, writer John Steinbeck is presented the U.S. Medal of Freedom. His first novel, "Tortilla Flat," about the comic antics of several rootless drifters who share a house in California, was published in 1935. • On Sept. 11, 1985, Cincinnati Reds player-manager Pete Rose gets the 4,192nd hit of his career, breaking Ty Cobb's major-league record. Rose retired in 1986, but remained in his position as manager until 1989, when he was banned from baseball for gambling on Reds games. © 2017 King Features Synd., Inc.
KING C R O S S W O R D
Call or Stop By Today to Schedule Your Auto Start Installation!
FREE $40 GIFT CERTIFICATE
TOWARDS YOUR NEXT PURCHASE WHEN YOU PURCHASE AN AUTO START OR WINDOW TINTING *Limited Time Only
1600 47th Ave. S. - Suite C • Grand Forks • 701-757-3075
Contact your local agent
• Medicare Contact your local agent for for more information: Coverage moreinformation: information: t for more • Group <Agent Name> A Medical INSURANCE AGENCY <Agency Name> Life Ins. • <Address> Rick Asche • 701-772-1138 H2409, H2410, H2450_2058 (01-2009) <City, ST ZIP> <Phone> 1521 24th Ave. S. • Grand Forks, ND <Hours of Operation> > “Since 1988”
Life • Medicare • Group Plans • Health • Long Term Care
2600 DeMers Ave. Grand Forks, ND
©2009 Medica. Medica® contracts with the federal government.
©2009 Medica. Medica® contracts with the federal government.
S U D O K U
2009 Medica. Medica® contracts with the federal government.
by Linda Thistle
Place a number in the empty boxes in such a way that each row across, each column down and each small 9-box square contains all of the numbers from one to nine.
Online Ordering & Daily Specials
Open: Fri-Sat 11am-2am • Sun-Thurs 11am-Midnight Expanded Grand Forks Delivery & Now East Grand Forks
Mention you saw this ad and get a FREE order of MINI DONUTS when ordering a Large or XXL pizza at regular price!
ONE LARGE 1-TOPPING DIFFICULTY THIS WEEK: H Moderate
Challenging HOO BOY!
© 2017 King Features Synd., Inc.
Must mention coupon when ordering. Not valid with other offers. Expires 10-7-17
ONE XXL 1 TOPPING Pizza, FREE Breadsticks, & FREE 2-Liter
Must mention coupon when ordering. Not valid with other offers. Expires 10-7-17
• Newly Renovated One and Three Bedroom Units • Competitive Pricing starting at $550 • Conveniently located in North Grand Forks near UND
LIVE IT. LOVE IT. GET IT.
THIS WEEK IN HISTORY (cont'd):
• Neonatal facilities today take the incubator for granted for the care of newborn babies, but until September 7, 1888, no American baby had ever been placed in one. Edith Eleanor McLean was born that day to Scottish immigrants, weighing 2 lbs., 7 oz., with Dr. William Derning in charge of the delivery, becoming the first preemie to be treated as such. Derning was the first American doctor to try what he called a “hatching cradle,” an incubator heated with a 15-gallon reservoir of warm water. The device underwent several improvements over the next several years, and became a popular exhibit at the 1904 World’s Fair, where 14 metal-framed glass incubators were attended by nurses caring for endangered newborns from orphanages and poor families. • One of the world’s favorite comic strips, “Blondie,” has been around for nearly 90 years. Drawn by creator Chic Young, the cartoon first appeared in newspapers on September 8, 1930. For the first 2 ½ years, Blondie Boopadoop and Dagwood Bumstead dated, finally marrying in February, 1933. The Bumstead family, including children Alexander and Cookie, reside in Joplin, Missouri, where Dagwood is the office manager at the J.C. Dithers Construction Company. The comic strip was responsible for the term “Dagwood sandwich,” since Dagwood loves building enormous sandwiches on the kitchen table. The strip was drawn by Chic until his death in 1973, when the reins were passed to his son Dean Young, who continues to draw “Blondie.” The popular cartoon appears in more than 2,000 newspapers in 47 countries, and is translated into 35 languages. • When Britain’s Queen Victoria passed away in January of 1901, she was the longest-reigning British monarch in history, reigning 63 years, 7 months, and 2 days. Her great-great-granddaughter Queen Elizabeth II surpassed Victoria’s record on September 9, 2015.
Tidbits is Available at:
Call our leasing office for details! 701.772.3101 www.dakotacommercial.com
All Grand Forks, East Grand Forks & Crookston locations of: Lo
cated on publicati the racks nea on r th Exit doors e !
and Grand Forks
EAST GRAND FORKS
• POST 157 •
Book Our BALLROOM:
• Weddings • Graduation • Parties • Meetings • & More
DAILY DRINK SPECIALS
$ 00 U-CALL Thursdays: 7:00 pm ITS Sundays: 1:30 pm 1009 CENTRAL AVE. • EAST GRAND FORKS • 218-773-1129
Zion United Methodist Church
1001 24th Ave. S. • Grand Forks, ND • 701-772-1893
• Sunday School: 9:15 am • Worship Service: 10:30 am
• Get ONE FREE Deek's Pizza per month for your initial lease term by leasing one of our many apartment properties. • Apply today with Dakotal Commercial. • Sign a lease no later than October 1, 2017. * One free pizza per month per household. Offer valid for new applications as of 8-15-17.
FLEXIBLE LEASE TERMS AND PRICING. VISIT OUR WEBSITE FOR ADDITIONAL PROMOS! © 2017 King Features Syndicate. All rights reserved.
September is Mold Awareness Month, and time for Tidbits to present some fun facts you may not know about this fungus. • There are thousands of species of mold, some good, some bad. Mold is made up of multicellular filaments known as hyphae. They can be any color and each species is adapted to different moisture conditions, from damp to soaking wet. Mold can grow on soil, plants, decaying matter, food, or any wet materials. • Mold requires three conditions to grow – a temperature range between 40 and 100 degrees F (4 and 38 C), a food source of organic material, and moisture. Because mold is heterotrophic, it cannot make its own food like plants do, and must acquire its nutrients from an organic source. • While mold can ruin food, crops, wood, paint, carpeting, furniture, books, and other porous material, it has an important role in the production of antibiotics. In the 1920s, English researcher Dr. Alexander Fleming isolated a chemical from the mold, Penicillium notatum. As Fleming was studying a certain bacteria, a sample of the bacteria Staphylococcus was infected by some mold. Fleming observed that all the bacteria close to the mold were dying. He discovered that the disease-causing Staphylococcus bacteria were constantly rebuilding their cell walls to preserve their structure. The mold penetrated and destroyed the walls and killed the bacteria. • Since the introduction of antibiotics, deaths from infectious bacterial diseases have been reduced to just one-twentieth of what they were in the early 1900s.
• Mold is also important to the Earth’s ecosystem, as it breaks down decaying organic matter, such as dead leaves and trees, on the forest floor. • Although mold can be beneficial, there are many strains that can create health problems. A Mayo Clinic study indicates that nearly all sinus infections are caused by inhaling mold organisms. An allergic reaction to mold causes inflammation of the membranes of the nose and sinus cavities. It’s suggested that those who suffer from chronic sinus infections have their home inspected for mold. • Other studies suggest a link between Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) and mold. It’s suggested that the common mold Scopulariopsis brevicaulis grows in the crib mattress as the result of the moisture from sweat, urine, and spitting up. The mold consumes the chemicals found in the mattress cover – phosphorus, arsenic, and antimony – which results in the production of nerve gasses that can be deadly to infants. • Every home has some type of mold somewhere. Controlling excessive moisture and condensation is the key to curbing mold growth in the home. Items that are wet for more than 48 hours are very likely to produce mold. Just cleaning up mold without fixing a moisture problem will not eliminate growth. It’s not limited to homes with flooding or water damage – an unvented shower in the bathroom, a lawn sprinkler, or an undetected slow water drip can all promote the growth of mold. • Even if your home hasn’t had excessive moisture leading to mold growth, you can still experience health issues just by being exposed to the wide variety of fungal spores found in the air we breathe. Mold can contribute to everything from nosebleeds to inflammation of the lungs, to mold toxicity that can cause a person to lose motor and cognitive functions.
THANKS FOR READING TIDBITS!
The The First First Exam Exam Of Of The The School School Year Year Should Should Be Be An An Eye Eye Exam! Exam!
by Samantha Weaver
* 50%withOFF FRAMES purchase of Rx lenses Columbia Mall • Grand Forks 701-757-4100 • Eye Exams Available midwestvisioncenters.com
*Some Restrictions Apply. Ask for Details. Offer valid through 9/30/17
We never thought about living anywhere else but Parkwood - it just feels like home. We really enjoy our neighbors, friends and staff - there is always someone to visit with! We just like it here a lot. - The Andersons, current Parkwood residents
d Cities Gam n ra G
• It was 17th-century French philosopher Rene Descartes who made the following sage observation: "If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things." • Does the sight of a bald eagle inspire you with patriotism? If so, you can thank John Adams and Thomas Jefferson, who overruled Benjamin Franklin when deciding on the national bird. Had Franklin had his way, we'd be looking to find national pride in the somewhat more humble turkey. • When you think of large tire manufacturers, the companies that immediately spring to mind are probably Goodyear and Michelin. You might be surprised to learn, then, that the world's largest manufacturer of tires is actually Danish toy company The Lego Group. It's true; they produce more tires than any other manufacturer. (Just don't try to put them on your car.) • The active ingredient in aspirin, acetylsalicylic acid, is derived from the bark of the willow tree. • Those who study such things say that when buying beer at the grocery store, men tend to get six-packs, while women are more likely to stock up with 12-packs. • In 2010, a man in Canada heard a strange sound coming from a dumpster in his neighborhood. When he looked in, he was shocked to find a newborn baby. He rescued the infant, of course, and took it to the authorities. It was only later that he found out that he was the baby's father. *** Thought for the day: "Marriage is like college; as great as it is, it ain't for everybody." -- Ray Charles © 2017 King Features Synd., Inc.
Of Grand Forks • East Grand Forks
120 N. Wash. St. Grand Forks
BUY 2 BOARD GAMES GET 1 FREE
Free Board Game must be equal or lesser value of 2 purchased. Exp. 9-30-17
• Comics • Trading Cards • Warhammer • Board Games • RPGs • Dice • Gaming Rooms
Welcome Home! Contact us today to set up appointments! 701-780-9901
ffr first $50 O o yu rent! month’s
Terms & conditions must be met. Bring this coupon in to get full details.
Options Options Located Eff, 1, 2, & 3 Variety of Located Eff, 1, 2, & 3 Variety of Near UND Bedroom Near UND Bedroom DifferentDifferent Floor Floor Apartments Apartments Plans Plans Close to OverOver 40 40 Close to Properties to toShopping & & Shopping Properties Choose From Restaurants Choose From
can also search for available apartments at You canYou also search for available apartments at www.GOLDMARK.com
(Answer located a few pages back)
September 10, 2017 | 1:00 p.m. Lincoln Park/Greenway
September 17, 2017 11:00 - 4:00 Schedule of Events: • Facepainting • Inflatables • Roger’s Artwork • Local Entertainment • Silent Auction MENU: Pulled Pork on a bun, Chips, & Soda
Thank You to our Sponsors:
2700 South Washington Street • Grand Forks, ND
Funds Collected along with a Rydell Corporate match will benefit: To register your vehicle go to: www.RydellCarShow.com Select this event to download a registration form Pre-registraion Fee $40 • After Sept. 13th $45
Print & Ship Services
Potato Chips Compliments of
SATURDAY, SEPT. 9TH
at 5:00 PM At Muddy Rivers - Grand Forks
• Free-will offer meal • Cash prize drawings @ 9PM • Live Music by Downtown Horns
Short-Term Care & Rehabilitation • Recuperate • Get Strong • Get Back to Everyday Life We offer specialized services in:
Physical, Occupational, Speech & Massage Therapy, along with Skilled Nursing Services To learn more about rehabilitation and other services we offer please contact us.
(218) 281-3424 • 516 Walsh Street. • Crookston, MN
This week, Tidbits is going crackers, bringing you the facts on some of our favorite little biscuits. • The most common crackers are soda crackers, also known as saltines. These are a leavened bread that rises for 20 to 30 hours, after which alkaline soda is added to neutralize the acidity produced by the yeast, After the hours of rising, the dough rests for four more hours before being rolled out then baked. • When the cracker as we know it was introduced in 1876 by a Missouri company, F.L. Sommer & Company, they used baking soda as leavening, calling the thin wafers Premium Soda Crackers. When they started sprinkling them with coarse salt, they were also called saltines. Sommer merged with American Biscuit Company in 1890, then became Nabisco in 1898. • Why do saltines have those little holes on top? As the crackers bake, the outer layer of dough hardens first, limiting the release of gasses. The perforations provide for this release and prevent the cracker from puffing up. • Sylvester Graham was a Connecticut vegetarian clergyman, who lectured regularly on the benefits of a healthy diet and lifestyle. He refused to consume refined grains, meat, or alcohol. In 1829, Sylvester created a recipe for a cracker made from a coarsely ground whole wheat flour that kept the bran in the flour, using no fat or refined sugar. It became known as the Graham cracker, but it tasted nothing like the “Honey Grahams” we eat today. The distinctive taste of graham cracker flour is attributed to the size of the flour particles used, with an exact combination of small, medium, and large particles. An incorrect combination leads to either crumbly or lumpy flour. ...continued
* Last Outside Flea Market of Summer *
2105 Central Ave. NW East Grand Forks, MN
Saturday, September 9 8:00 am - 4:00 pm SPACES AVAILABLE
(Solution on Next Page)
Professional Home Inspection Service CERTIFIED INSPECTOR
DIFFERENCES: 1. Sign is missing. 2. Pen is missing. 3. Hand is moved. 4. Sleeve is shorter. 5. Number is different. 6. Hair is different.
• We’ve been snacking on Cheez-Its since 1921, when a Dayton, Ohio, company introduced them. Today these cheddar snack squares are Answer: Dell. manufactured by Kellogg’s. Each cracker meaVERY NUMBER sures 26 A x 24 mm,LARGE almost one square inch. • Edward Kasner was a mathematician. In 1938 • Matzo crackers are unleavened flatbread that he was asked to come up with a name for a are anlarge important part the Jewish very number: theofnumeral one, Passover followed celebration. Kosher matzo is made fromyoung flour by a hundred zeros. He asked his two and water what only,name and the must be wheat, nephews theyflour would suggest. spelt, barley, rye, or oat. • Nine-year-old Milton suggested a name out of the A cartooninstrip character • Oysters are funnies. not an ingredient oyster cracknamed Barney was very popular. Milton ers! They’ve been given the name becausechose they Barney’s last name foroyster the number. are often served with stew and chow•ders. Kasner announced the newinname theEngbig They were developed 1842 for by an number in his next book, altering the spelling. lish baker, Adam Exton, who had immigrated •toSixty later, Larry Page and Sergey Brin Newyears Jersey. developed a new internet search engine. Other • We’ve been snacking on Goldfish crackers search engines searched each webpage and since 1962. Pepperidge founder ranked them accordingFarm to how manyMargaret times a Rudkin discovered the cracker while on a and trip specific term appeared on them, but Page toBrin Switzerland and search broughtengine the recipe home. designed their to search for Today, about term 142 billion Goldfish arehow produced the specific and then find out many linksyear. thereThere wereare that2.5ledcalories back toin that each eachpage, fish, whichtranslates resulted in search which to a55better crackers forengine. 140 calories. They crackers decided were they created neededin England a name inthat • •Animal the reflected how many websites the States. search late 1800s and exported to the United engine was searching. They took the name They were so popular that American bakof Edward Kasner’s very large number, only ers began devising their own with the they misspelled it slightly, so itrecipe, ended up being Stauffer firsttheto cartoon release spelled Biscuit exactly Company the same the way animal crackers in the U.S. in 1871. Nabisco character Barney spelled his last name. What’s started selling Barnum’s Animals in a circus it called? (Answer at bottom of page) train box inCOMPUTER 1902 for 5 FACTS cents. The box was meant as said, a Christmas to •originally In 1981 Bill Gates “640 kbornament of memory beought hungtofrom the tree by a string. Today, about be enough for anybody.” 8,000 miles of string are used in the packag• Moore’s Law states that computer performance ing of Barnum’s crackers.and Theever crackers doubles every 18animal to 24 months, since are baked Nabisco’s 1971, thisathas been true.New Jersey factory in a 300-foot-long (91.4 m) oven for about four • HP, Google, Microsoft, and Apple were all minutes, started inyielding garages.12,000 crackers per minute. Each box contains 22 crackers with 19 differAnswer: Google, from googol. ent animals.
We Fix iPad SCREENS!
We replace 1st Quarter 2015
Week 2 • iPads • iPods Jan 4 - Jan. 10 • iPhones Page 8
• Smartphones • Tablets See store for details
757-1899 See store for details
1003 S. Washington St. Grand Forks, ND (across from Gerrells)
6. The Romantics 1. Herb and Tootsie in 1984 7. High Definition Woodley. 2. Elvis Presley Multimedia 3. Gerald Ford Interface 8. 1939 4. True (27) 5. Orange
Tammy Erickson @
Superior Styles Haircuts - $15 (Seniors - $12)
Perms & Colors Start at $35
Home Service Available ($3 travel fee) Call for Appointment
510 N. Wash. St. • Grand Forks
Sports Answers 1. True. Andy 4. Jerry Sloan won 1,127 games Hawkins of the Padres in with Utah (1988-2011) 1985. 2. Williams: 29 5. Wayne Gretzky, in the 1986-87 Mantle: 18 3. 1977 - Super season. 6. Don Majkowski Bowl XI
© 2017 King Features Synd., All rights reserved.
THANKS FOR READING TIDBITS!
Accessories $100 OFF Good thru 9-30-17
Edge 2x Reg. $569.00
2700 South Washington St. Grand Forks, ND
Torch 2S Reg. $499.00
• 3000 ft. Range • 2-Way Feedback • Includes 2-Way & 1-Way remote
• 1-Mile Range • 2-Way Feedback • Inverted LCD Screen • Includes 2-Way & 1-Way remote
*Most Makes & Models
Edge 1x Reg. $439.00
• 1-Mile Range • Includes Two 1-Way remotes
PROFESSIONAL INSTALL TEAM
WINDOW TINTING Reduce Glare, Heat, and Block Harmful UV Rays from damaging your vehicle.
Good thru 9-30-17
TINT SPECIAL! 20% OFF XPEL ULTIMATE™ Paint Protection Film is a virtually invisible urethane film that protects your vehicle’s paint from unsightly damage and maximizes re-sale value.
ULTIMATE™ PROTECTS AGAINST: AVAILABLE FOR MOST MAKES & MODELS Several Packages Available as well as some Specific Areas of your vehicle.
10-YEAR WARRANTY CALL FOR DETAILS
= Protected Area
• Rocks • Bug Acids • Salt • Gravel • Tree Sap • Oils • Bird Droppings • Magnesium Chloride
"This Week in History," "Mold" and "Crackers"