MONDAY i’m lovin’ it!
HIGH 83ºF LOW 72ºF
The Tribune Established 1903
24/7 BREAKING NEWS ON TRIBUNE242.COM
Biggest And Best!
VOLUME:116 No.106, MAY 27TH, 2019
HO US E & 20 THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: $1
HOME
PA GE S SPORTS: BOXER WILLIAMS WINS UNANIMOUS VERDICT GOVT HIRES PRIVATE LAWYER IN BPL ACTION
Hotel workers in strike ballot
Outrage over plan to change service charge and bonus By NEIL HARTNELL & NATARIO McKENZIE Tribune Business Staff
THE hotel union will take a strike vote on Thursday after slamming the industry’s proposal to eliminate the automatic 15 percent gratuity and other worker benefits as “a slap in the face”. Sheila Burrows, the Bahamas Hotel, Catering & Allied Workers Union’s general secretary, said that the offer by resort employers threatened to take the
union’s 4,000-5,000 membership “back 60 years”. Speaking after union members burnt copies of the industry’s proposal during an angry meeting at Workers House, she said: “We got a proposal from them but there was nothing in it.” The most controversial proposals in the offer are the elimination of the automatic 15 percent gratuity and delaying payment of Christmas bonuses until the second week of January. FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS
FORMER Minister of State for Legal Affairs Damian Gomez yesterday called the government’s position on medical marijuana “ludicrous” and “illogical” given the medicinal use of derivatives from other scheduled drugs like cocaine and opium. Mr Gomez questioned why the government was waiting on a report from the Bahamas National Commission on Marijuana
(BNCM) concerning medicinal use given the widespread research and adoption of specific therapies around the world. According to the World Health Organisation, there were 933 new cases of cancer in The Bahamas in 2018, with 482 people dying from the disease last year. “That would be even more of a reason to have deployed at the earliest possible time medications that are beneficial, inclusive of marijuana-based medicines,” Mr Gomez said. SEE PAGE SIX
ATTORNEY General Carl Bethel confirmed yesterday the government has retained a local firm of private lawyers to defend a $1.1 million lawsuit against Public Works Minister Desmond Bannister for the wrongful termination, misfeasance in public office, and defamation/slander. The accusations were leveled by former Bahamas Power and Light (BPL) chairperson Darnell Osborne and former BPL board members Nicola Thompson and Nick Dean, who claim in statements filed last week that Mr Bannister got hostile with them over their independent stance on a number of SEE PAGE FIVE
COCO CAY COULD BE MODEL FOR G. LUCAYAN By RICARDO WELLS Tribune Staff Reporter rwells@tribunemedia.net
MEDICAL MARIJUANA WHY ARE WE WAITING? By AVA TURNQUEST Tribune Chief Reporter aturnquest@tribunemedia.net
By AVA TURNQUEST Tribune Chief Reporter aturnquest@tribunemedia.net
CROWNING MOMENT
NYAH Bandelier was last night crowned Miss Bahamas 2019 at Atlantis. More pictures - Page 2 Photo: Terrel W Carey Sr/Tribune Staff
AN enhanced Grand Lucayan with Royal Caribbean International at the helm would spur a “huge economic impact” on Grand Bahama and should reinvigorate the country’s entire tourism sector, according to the cruise line’s president and CEO Michael Bayley. His comments came on the sidelines of the ceremonial opening of RCI’s new top-rated island destination in the Berry Islands, Perfect Day at Coco Cay, telling members of the press his company was positioning itself to spearhead a multimillion dollar, multi-phased SEE PAGE THREE
‘HE TRIED TO CLEAR HIS NAME. NOW HE’S GONE. I HOPE THEY’RE HAPPY’ By RICARDO WELLS Tribune Staff Reporter rwells@tribunemedia.net
THE mother of a 28-yearold man shot and killed yesterday morning claims he was working to clear his name following a 2015 murder charge. Gloria Ferguson, in an interview with The Tribune at her Dorsette Alley home just
ANTHONY FERGUSON
hours after her son was shot a few yards away, said the effects of that incident haunted her son’s short life. At 24, Anthony Ferguson was accused of intentionally causing the death of Arthur Culmer, who was fatally shot at Dorsette Alley on Christmas Eve 2014. Ferguson was charged in January 2015. SEE PAGE FIVE
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper
INSIGHT
TRUST IN POLICE CAN’T BE TAKEN FOR GRANTED
SEE PAGE SEVEN