05222019 NEWS

Page 1

WEDNESDAY i’m lovin’ it!

HIGH 85ºF LOW 75ºF

The Tribune Established 1903

24/7 BREAKING NEWS ON TRIBUNE242.COM

Biggest And Best!

VOLUME:116 No.103, MAY 22ND, 2019

THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: $1

ALICIA WALLACE: WE SHOULD ALWAYS WORK TOGETHER These are the times in which we live, laments Dames

Police did what they had to do

By KHRISNA RUSSELL Deputy Chief Reporter krussell@tribunemedia.net

ROYAL Bahamas Police Force officers “did what they had to do” when they killed three men at a Blair home on Friday, National Security Minister Marvin Dames has said, while insisting that, regardless of what allegations are made, the facts will eventually be made known. Jamaal Penn, Valentino Pratt and Trevor Cooper were all shot at the home off the Eastern Road during an early morning operation. There were reportedly six children in the home at the time. This has raised concern from relatives of the

men who were inside the house at the time and from the wider public about how police conduct operations when children are present. Asked about this by The Tribune yesterday, Mr Dames said: “Let’s wait and hear the matter out before a court of law and then we can have our comments after that. “It was an operation carried out by the police. Unfortunately, some persons lost their lives. I believe the police may have recovered some five weapons on that scene in addition to a quantity of drugs. And, according to the police, they were fired on.”

PEOPLE waiting more than five years for an answer to their application for citizenship have a right to sue the government, according to retired Justice Rubie Nottage. Mrs Nottage, former cochair of the Constitutional Commission, explained how processing delays could contribute to statelessness during a panel discussion at the University of The Bahamas.

SEE PAGE FIVE

THE 12 Africans taken into custody by Department of Immigration officials in Grand Bahama last week are seeking asylum, fearing they would be killed if they are returned to their homeland of Nigeria. Hubert Ferguson, assistant director of immigration in Freeport, said that the group initially landed in Nassau, but had travelled to Grand Bahama where they were arrested by immigration officers after it was discovered they had overstayed their time. When contacted yesterday, Mr Ferguson said the African nationals informed immigration officials they feared they would be killed if returned to their homeland. SEE PAGE SEVEN

By KHRISNA RUSSELL Deputy Chief Reporter krussell@tribunemedia.net

SEE PAGE THREE

“(People waiting for deferred citizenship) they have married, had children, some of those children have had children, and now we have statelessness because the person who married first had no status yet. He’s applied, he’s entitled to it, but he has no documentation. “So let’s say that he then marries a young Haitian woman who has come here without documents. So two undocumented persons have a child in The

By DENISE MAYCOCK Tribune Freeport Reporter dmaycock@tribunemedia.net

‘WAR OF WORDS BETWEEN CHINA AND US NOT OUR BUSINESS’

‘SUE GOVT IF CITIZENSHIP APPLICATIONS DRAG ON’ By AVA TURNQUEST Tribune Chief Reporter aturnquest@tribunemedia.net

AFRICANS SEEKING ASYLUM

WE WANT JUSTICE

NATIONAL Insurance Board employees demonstrated yesterday after union chief Marvin Duncombe said the group had reached an “impasse” in negotiations with management. Full story - Page 2 Photo: Shawn Hanna/Tribune Staff

ARGUMENTS raised in an ongoing war of words between United States and Chinese officials are “not our business”, Foreign Affairs Minister Darren Henfield said yesterday. Mr Henfield also told reporters The Bahamas would not get involved in the trade war between the two world powers. However, he said the government would like to see trade issues between them settled as quickly as possible because continuing tensions would invariably impact The Bahamas. Asked if The Bahamas should be wary of Chinese investment as had been suggested previously by US SEE PAGE FIVE

BANNISTER PRAISES AMBITIOUS ROADWORKS TECHNOLOGY By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net THE road expansion package unveiled by the Prime Minister will “make a huge difference” to commerce and Bahamians’ “mental well-being”, a Cabinet minister said yesterday. Desmond Bannister, minister of works, said the projects represented the most “ambitious” road infrastructure work seen on New Providence for some

DESMOND BANNISTER years. And he was optimistic that the Ministry of Works now has sufficient

technical staff to “make it happen” and ease the traffic nightmare many Bahamian motorists face when commuting to work and school. While declining to reveal the investment required, on the basis that the figures have yet to be approved by the Ministry of Finance, Mr Bannister said the government would need to acquire land from private owners in a number of areas to facilitate the various expansions.

FETCH! NOW LOOK OUT FOR ROBO-DOG

FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS

SEE PAGE NINE

Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.