business@tribunemedia.net
WEDNESDAY, MAY 29, 2019
$4.90
$4.95
Ex-trade chief: Stop WTO ‘total disaster’ By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
A
FORMER trade minister last night warned it will be a “total disaster” if The Bahamas joins the WTO, as he challenged the government to identify “the benefits for Bahamians”. Leslie Miller, who held ministerial responsibility for the World Trade Organisation (WTO) accession between 2002-2006 when he was a member of the Christie Cabinet, told Tribune Business that the Minnis administration had totally failed to make the case for this nation to become a full member. Expressing fears that foreign competitors will be able to enter The Bahamas and “wipe out” smaller local businesses, the
• Miller: Where are the benefits for Bahamians? • Adds: We got Atlantis, Baha Mar without it • Calls on gov’t to ‘cease and desist’
LESLIE MILLER outspoken ex-MP called on the government to “cease and desist” from joining the WTO by its 2020 target date as this was “not in the interest of the Bahamian people”.
And he dismissed arguments that full WTO membership will help The Bahamas attract more foreign direct investment (FDI) by clarifying the rules for accessing this market, adding that this nation had attracted the likes of Atlantis and Baha Mar while outside the overseer of the world’s rules-based trading regime. “I think that if the government proceeds to take us into full membership it will be a total disaster,” Mr Miller told this newspaper. “The economy is already stagnant; we only achieved GDP growth of 1.8 percent last year when were supposed to get 2.3 percent,
and we’re not seeing where the new jobs are being created. “It doesn’t do anything for the fellas on the ground, where the unemployment rate for people aged between 15 to 24 years-old is around 26 percent. We don’t have any policies to incentivise local manufacturers to create jobs in light industries, banking and the retail sector.” Pro-WTO membership advocates would argue that the “stagnation” referred to by the former trade and industry minister is precisely why The Bahamas should seek full
SEE PAGE 4
$4.91
$4.95
Auto dealers hope for budget change By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net AUTO dealers yesterday voiced cautious optimism that the government may today unveil budget changes allowing more models to qualify for the lowest duty threshold. Rick Lowe, Nassau Motor Company’s (NMC) director/operations manager, told Tribune Business the industry was hopeful the benchmark at which vehicles attract the 25 percent duty rate will be increased from 1.5 litre engines to those with two litres. The change, long pushed for by the Bahamas Motor Dealers Association (BMDA), would enable the benefits from the 40 percentage point Excise Tax rate cut to be felt by more dealers - some of whom had no inventory at or below the 1.5 litre benchmark when it was introduced in the last budget. “Hopefully there will be some changes to the import rate on two litre engines
and below,” Mr Lowe said, adding that the sector is also seeking changes to the business licence fee regime and the price controls imposed on it. “We’re also hopeful about bonded facilities for parts,” he added. “When they reduce the import taxes on spare parts for WTO, for inventory we’ve already paid import taxes on we will have to mark the prices down, and there will be a loss of revenue based on what we’ve already paid. It could take a couple of years to cycle out.” Turning to the Budget generally, Mr Lowe added: “I’m hoping there’s not going to be any new or increased taxes. I’m hoping what he [KP Turnquest] says is true and they go after the low hanging fruit, and I’m hoping they’ll change the business licence fee and get rid of price control. “It’s just like the Post Office; they keep funding these losing ventures and keep taxing businesses into
SEE PAGE 3
Tourism concern on Bahamas’ corporate tax world’s most ‘corrosive’ • Nation among ten accused of ‘devastating blow’ BPL’s Bimini blaze • Index accuses it of aiding ‘race to the bottom’ By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
By NEIL HARTNELL and NATARIO McKENZIE Tribune Business Staff
BIMINI homeowners yesterday warned Bahamas Power & Light (BPL) has a “ten-day window” to fully restore the island’s generation capacity before the high tourism season kicks in again. While residents and businesses owners expressed relief that they did not appear to be facing weeks without electricity following Monday night’s blaze that destroyed almost nine megawatts (MW) of generation capacity, concerns remain over whether Bimini has sufficient capacity to handle the extra load demand when visitor numbers increase during the imminent school holidays. Homeowners who rent their properties out to visitors told Tribune Business that calls from prospective tourists, asking if they should still come to Bimini following the power plant blaze, had been “off the chain” yesterday with some cancellations already occurring. The fire was said to have been screened widely on local TV stations in South Florida, which is the island’s key visitor and boating market. Dionisio D’Aguilar, minister of tourism, was among the first yesterday to express concern over the impact Monday night’s fire may have for Bimini’s vacation home rental market. “Bimini has large hotels, the biggest of which is Resorts World and a number of smaller
properties,” he said. “I believe that those have back up power; certainly Resorts World, because I was there two weeks ago. At that time there was power failure and the back-up generators kicked in. “It also has a very large vacation home rental market, and that’s where it’s going to have the most devastating effect. This is very concerning and I’m sure that BPL is working as hard as they can to ensure that they restore the power, but we all know that BPL has been facing some enormous challenges down there.” While power was said to have been 100 percent restored to Bimini by last night, BPL warned in a Facebook posting that its two main generating units - which can produce a combined 8.8 MW of capacity - had been “irreparably damaged” by the blaze. “Preliminary inspections at Station B in Bimini suggest that the two primary generating units on the island of Bimini, each rated at 4.4 MW, have been irreparably damaged by the fire last evening,” the stateowned utility said. “In addition to the engines and generators themselves, auxiliary equipment such as pumps, filters and electrical switchgear have also been destroyed by the blaze. These units represented the base load machines on the island. The cause of the fire itself has not been ascertained. This will be the subject of an internal BPL
SEE PAGE 6
THE Bahamas yesterday received no credit for laws said to have raised compliance costs by 75-80 percent after its corporate tax policies were rated as the world’s most “corrosive”. This nation achieved a “perfect” 100 out of 100, a score matched only by the Isle of Man, Turks & Caicos and Anguilla, as it was ranked ninth in the newly-published Corporate Tax Haven Index 2019 and grouped among countries said to have “dealt the global corporate tax system a devastating double blow”. The Index, published by the Tax Justice Network, a long-standing opponent
• Ignores laws raising compliance costs 75-80%
of international financial centres (IFCs) such as The Bahamas and the tax competition they represent, alleged that this nation and other countries in its “top ten” were “responsible for over half (52 percent) of the world’s corporate tax avoidance risks”. Accusing them of being “most responsible for the breakdown of the global corporate tax system”, the Tax Justice Network argued: “The top ten jurisdictions have dealt the global corporate tax system a devastating double blow.
“First, the colossal scale at which the jurisdictions have enabled corporate tax avoidance risks to woo multinational corporations has made countries’ statutory corporate tax rates meaningless. “Second, the jurisdictions have triggered a ‘race to the bottom’ across the globe that will further deplete tax revenues as countries desperate to claw back foreign investment engage in the false economy of ‘tax competitiveness’ and increase their complicity in corporate tax havenry,” it added.
“The corporate tax avoidance risks and corrosive lose-lose outcomes documented by the new index illustrate that what is often referred to as ‘tax competition’ is more aptly described as ‘tax war’.” Heading the Tax Justice Network’s index, which yesterday received extensive coverage in international media, were The Bahamas’ three major regional rivals - the British Virgin Islands, Bermuda and the Cayman Islands.
SEE PAGE 5
Privy Council appeal on industrial deal ‘paralysis’ By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
A TRADE union leader yesterday said “within 14 days” he will seek a Privy Council hearing on a ruling that threatens to “paralyse” industrial agreements and undermine worker protections. Obie Ferguson, the Trades Union Congress (TUC) president, told Tribune Business it was “in the interests of the entire workforce of The Bahamas” that the highest court in this nation’s judicial system consider a Court of Appeal verdict involving Morton Salt. Moving to secure the Privy Council’s permission for the hearing directly,
• Hearing ‘in entire Bahamas workforce’s interests’ • Fears of ‘fundamental shift’ in worker protections • Union leader seeks direct permission for matter
OBIE FERGUSON after the Court of Appeal ruled it did “not have the jurisdiction to grant leave” itself because the matter originated with the
Industrial Tribunal, Mr Ferguson said the existing ruling will create “a fundamental shift” in workplace relations throughout The Bahamas if it stands. This is because the Court of Appeal ruling, which found in favour of the Inagua-based salt harvester, found that an industrial agreement was an employment contract and had to be assessed in accordance with common law principles. This threatens, and undermines, the very rationale for such collective bargaining agreements
between union and employer. A long-established practice enshrined in the Industrial Relations Act, Mr Ferguson said such agreements - once properly vetted and registered by the registrar of trade unions - cannot be altered unilaterally by employer, union or even the courts. The Court of Appeal’s ruling thus potentially opens the way for one party to an industrial agreement to change the terms and conditions by itself without
SEE PAGE 4