05282019 BUSINESS

Page 1

business@tribunemedia.net

TUESDAY, MAY 28, 2019

$4.90

RAYMOND WINDER

Bank to redeem $81.5 million preferred shares in 2019 By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

C O M M O N W E A LT H Bank is aiming to redeem all its outstanding $81.5m preference share capital before year-end 2019 in a bid to “maximise returns” for equity investors. The BISX-listed bank’s newly-released 2018 annual report confirms the redemption strategy, with the footnotes disclosing that five preference share classes worth a collective $48.9m were due to be fully paid out by May 1. Raymond Winder, Commonwealth Bank’s president, who was travelling when contacted by Tribune Business yesterday, said he believed the redemption had been completed as scheduled although he needed to check on the last class. He said he would call this newspaper back to confirm, but nothing was received before press time. Dividend payments to Commonwealth Bank ordinary shareholders will potentially increase as a result of the preference share redemption, and the end of interest payments to holders of those securities. That, though, may not be the only motive for the move, with Mr Winder yesterday saying the objective was “twofold” although he did not explain that further. However other Bahamian commercial banks, such as Bank of The Bahamas, have also been redeeming and paying out their preference shares in order to come into compliance with the new international bank capital standards set out by the Basle Committee on Bank Supervision. Commonwealth Bank’s annual report makes no mention of this, though, merely saying: “In 2019 the group expects to redeem its outstanding preference shares in an effort to maximise returns to common shareholders. The total amount of preference shares outstanding is $81.5m.” The BISX-listed

SEE PAGE 6

$4.95

$4.91

Union chief warns over ‘general strike mayhem’ By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

A

TRADE union leader yesterday warned that industrial “mayhem” via a general strike will result unless employers stop attacking worker rights that have taken decades to build. Bernard Evans, the National Congress of Trade Unions of The Bahamas (NCTUB) president, told Tribune Business that this nation’s industrial relations climate was currently “a ticking timebomb” amid fears that long-established benefits and protections are under threat. Affirming that the umbrella union body stood “100 percent” behind its hotel union affiliate ahead of this Thursday’s strike vote, Mr Evans said The Bahamas was “headed in the direction of a general strike” with workers withdrawing their labour en masse unless multiple disputes and grievances were swiftly resolved. He added that the hotel industry was seemingly trying to “roll back and cut” worker benefits and salaries

• Evans: Decades-old rights ‘under threat’ • Says labour relations ‘a ticking timebomb’ • ‘Something has to give’ in hotel industry

BERNARD EVANS at a time when The Bahamas was rated the fourth most expensive country in the world, with society having been hit by two VAT increases within five years. Warning that “something has to give”, Mr Evans said the labour movement felt it was being locked out of “proper and meaningful dialogue” with the government and employers over its concerns while workers bore

the brunt of continuous cost of living increases. “We’re very concerned we’re heading for mayhem,” he told Tribune Business. “As human beings we have a right to protect ourselves for survival, and once we see those protections being torn down our only course is to retaliate in a manner we don’t want to do... “When anybody is asking for a strike vote - the Water

& Sewerage Corporation unions have got strike votes, the hotel workers are asking for a strike vote - when you see all those unions asking for a strike vote only one thing can happen. A general strike. “We don’t want that to happen, but it’s unfortunately headed in that direction. The workers will withdraw their labour,” Mr Evans continued. “If there’s one message to take from this interview, this is the inevitable we see happening. “We don’t want it to happen. This is the last resort. But, if these matters are not resolved, it’s unfortunate but that’s the end result.” Mr Evans’ comments add to the sense of a rapidly deteriorating Bahamian industrial relations climate in both the public and private sectors, especially following the hotel union’s burning of an employer

SEE PAGE 5

Bahamas can’t be ‘last of the mohicans’ on tax By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net THE Bahamas must avoid becoming “the Last of the Mohicans” by ensuring foreign companies actually “benefit from paying taxes” here, a top accountant is arguing. Gowon Bowe, the Bahamas Institute of Chartered Accountants (BICA) president, told Tribune Business that this nation must shed “the selfish blinkers” and develop an innovative tax structure fit for the 21st century if it is to remain “a meaningful player in the global economy”. Reiterating his belief that the consumption-based tax system in existence since the 1950s is no longer sufficient to maintain The Bahamas’ economic competitiveness, Mr Bowe called for the development of “a modern, progressive tax infrastructure” that would incentivise investors

• Foreign firms ‘must benefit from paying taxes’ • BICA chief: Shed ‘selfish blinkers’ on tax reform • Only way to be ‘meaningful economic player’ and companies rather than seeing them pay “no tax”. Acknowledging that many remain opposed to paying an income tax in any form, whether personal or corporate, the BICA chief said a recent regional conference organised by the World Bank had shown how such structures could be used to encourage investment by the private sector in infrastructure projects. He explained that private investors and companies who made a $50m investment in a public-private partnership (PPP) in Peru received a tax credit for an equivalent amount, while providing that country’s government with the

GOWON BOWE

SEE PAGE 4

$4.95 ‘Abandon’ $580m project’s location, developer is told By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net A FISHERIES group is urging the developers behind the $580m South Abaco mixed-use resort project to “abandon” that location amid fears of “detrimental effects for the entire country”. The Fisheries Conservation Foundation, which has strong ties to The Bahamas due to the research it conducts here and its links to the Eleuthera-based Island School, has renewed its call for Tyrsoz Family Holdings to shift its proposed development to an already-used site such as a marina/resort that is either up for sale or lying derelict. The group, which was one of multiple environmental organisations to sign an April 15, 2019, letter urging the prime minister to reject the project, doubled down on warnings about the negative impact on Abaco’s bonefishing industry and fisheries population if development proceeded as planned. “The importance of the bonefish recreational fishery to The Bahamas cannot be overstated,” the foundation said in a statement. “In a country whose economy relies heavily upon tourism, this iconic fishery is a vital component of that industry, particularly in the Family Islands. “According to a 2009 survey, there were more than 60 bonefish guides on Abaco, and the total economic benefit to the island was more than $20m annually. Since that time, those numbers have undoubtedly grown substantially as a result of the addition of new lodges and the expansion of independent guide services. “On average, anglers spend $600 more per trip than general visitors, and those economic benefits extend beyond fishing guides and lodges to the broader economy in many ways - to restaurants, shops, car rental companies and tour operators.” The proximity of the Tyrsoz Family Holdings project to breeding grounds for bonefish and other fish/ marine mammals is what is alarming the foundation, which fears those vital habitats will be altered for ever should the project proceed. Dr David Philipp, the Foundation’s chairman, said: “Bonefish throughout the Bahamas undergo long distance migrations to

SEE PAGE 6

Government warned over infrastructure ‘can kicking’ By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

THE government cannot keep “kicking the can down the road” by holding capital spending at 50 percent of the level recommended at a recent World Bank summit, a top accountant is warning. Gowon Bowe, the Bahamas Institute of Chartered Accountants (BICA) president, told Tribune Business he attended the Latin America and Caribbean-focused conference which called upon regional states to allocate a sum equivalent to four to five percent of annual gross domestic product (GDP) to infrastructure projects. Such spending by the Bahamian government is well short of this level, projected to average around 2.2 percent of GDP for three fiscal years to 2020-2021, and Mr Bowe warned that this nation could soon pay

• Capital spend half of World Bank summit’s call • BICA chief warns of ‘tremendous’ future outlay • And ‘retarding of economic development’ a heavy price for potential under-investment by “incurring a tremendous amount of expenditure later on”. The findings also have implications for the government’s fiscal strategy, as restricting capital spending has been one of the main ways in which the Minnis administration has reduced the deficit and ensured it comes close to achieving its targets even as revenue under-performs. But, pointing out that the World Bank-organised regional conference accepted that a sum equivalent to four to five percent of national GDP needed to be “put on infrastructure”, Mr Bowe said: “Failure to do so is going to result in a tremendous amount of expenditure

incurred later on. “It potentially retards growth because, if you have deteriorating infrastructure, that retards economic progress. That may not be at the forefront of the government’s thinking, but it’s one that I’ve communicated since I returned from that conference.” The government’s socalled “fiscal snapshot” for the first nine months of 2018-2019 confirmed it is continuing to rein in capital expenditure, which is typically devoted to public infrastructure projects and upgrades, as a means to ensure its outgoings match revenue streams that have potentially undershot revenue projections by hundreds of millions of dollars.

Capital spending for the period to end-March 2019 stood at $126.7m, equivalent to just 42.3 percent of the $299.3m projected full-year spend, and some $56.8m lower than the $183.5m outlay at the same time in the previous fiscal year. The discretionary nature of capital expenditure means it is easier to cut than its recurrent counterpart, which goes on the government’s fixed costs such as civil service wages and rents. Yet Mr Bowe warned that there is a price to pay that becomes more expensive the longer the Government limits its capital expenditure.

SEE PAGE 6


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.